Cafeteria

Beautiful Stranger

Kyung was staring into space probably thinking about rainbows and unicorns or something, since he couldn’t focus in class, until the bell rang. It startled him, causing him to flinch. Geez, I hope no one saw that. Everyone started leaving the class. Kyung dazed for a moment, not knowing where his classmates were going. He brought his wrist up to his face and squinted at his purple watch. It’s 10am… Break time. They all left in their small clusters. Kyung frowned since he hasn’t made any friends yet. He sighed, hung his head low and closed his eyes. Might as well take a nap, he thought. He heard his classmates chattering away while their voices fade away as they leave the room. Right as he was about to fall asleep, he heard someone call his name from a few feet away. Kyung looked up right away with his eyes half open, scanning the room to find out who called him. Na Young was standing at the door, gesturing at him to follow her to the cafeteria. He shook his head when in actual fact he was starving as he didn’t have the time to eat breakfast that morning but he would rather stay in class than eat alone. He crossed his arms over the table and rested his head on them. Na Young rolled her eyes and proceeded to pull Kyung by his wrist and dragged him out of class. It made his heart skip a beat. It was the first time a girl held his hand. Kyung blushed a little. Besides, how could a small girl like her be so strong?

“W- what are you doing? Let go of me,” Kyung managed to stutter.

“Taking you to the cafeteria, of course. You should eat!” She said with a gentle but serious voice. “Bet you didn’t have breakfast. I could hear your stomach grumbling during Literature!”

Kyung gulped and kept quiet in agreement. Na Young hooked her arm onto his and said, “Let’s go!” Kyung blushed again at the sudden skinship. He prayed Na Young didn't notice.

 


The cafeteria was packed. Kyung panicked a little and wondered if it was even possible to get a seat. Right at that moment, two people from the corner of the cafeteria started waving frantically towards their direction.

“Na Young ah! Over here!”

Thank God. Both of them went towards the table and took a seat opposite them. Kyung smiled shyly at them.  Apparently they’re also his classmates and are good friends with Na Young. They gladly introduced themselves.

“Oh, transfer kid. Park Kyung right? This cool guy's name is Jaehyo,” the guy sitting opposite him gave him a cocky smirk.

The girl beside him and Na Young rolled their eyes. Kyung just snickered to erase the awkwardness. Jaehyo's dark hair was effortlessly styled with hair wax, making it stand a little. His lips looked perfect and his eyes are big. He was really good looking.

“Hi, I’m Ha Yi!” the girl beside Jaehyo said.

Ha Yi has pretty features. She has flawless legs and is probably one of the prettiest girl he has seen so far in this new school. She has long hair and had a floral headband on her head which made her look good.

Kyung flashed his brightest smile at them. Kyung realized that Ha Yi and Jaehyo were a couple. They fed each other their mashed potato, giggled and whispered sweet nothings into each other’s' ears. Kyung thought they looked really sweet and compatible since both of them have strong facial features which make them really good looking. Na Young, Jaehyo and Ha Yi were such good looking people it made his self-esteem tumble away into thin air.

"Kyung, hurry up before the cafeteria gets even more crowded!" Na Young pulled his arm so that he gets up from his seat. This girl is so touchy, but he didn't mind.

Kyung gasped in his head when she said that. Wait, what? ‘More crowded’ she said? This place is already so packed Kyung swore he could smell everyone’s scent. The smell of Victoria’s Secret perfume, someone’s body-odour, smell of someone’s shampooed hair, all kinds of smell.

Kyung got his food. Mashed potato, some weird pastry, bibimbap*, and banana milk. Probably enough to keep him filled till the day ends. He picked up his tray and walked back to the table alone since Na Young went to another table to chat with some other friends or what not.

Kyung was deep in his thoughts until someone bumped his shoulders into his, causing his tray to slam onto the floor. His food went flying into the air, landing onto the floor… and onto a guy. The deafening sound of the tray hitting the floor made him realize what had just happened. The cafeteria became silent right after. Everyone stopped whatever they were doing and looked at him. Kyung froze, feeling blood rushing towards his head. Oh my God…

“!” the guy cursed as he flicked the bibimbap’s rice away from his uniform. Kyung dug his hand into his pocket for his handkerchief. He hurriedly brushed off the bits and crumbs on the guy’s uniform while apologizing repeatedly.

His heart almost burst. He couldn’t look up at his face at all. His hands were shivering. Lucky for him he didn’t pass out from his legs which felt so weak at that moment. Kyung heard some people saying a lot of stuff while the guy was glaring at him.

“Omo, isn’t that Jiho!”

“That person did not just caused all this. Yah, doesn’t that person know who he is?”

“Oh, it’s jjang! What happened!?”

“What’s going on over there with Jiho?”

He grabbed his hand and pushed it away from him while Kyung was brushing his uniform. He knitted his eyebrows and glared at Kyung.

"New face, eh. Who's this person?" he looked at Kyung from head to toe when he said that with a hoarse and pissed off voice.

I am so ed.