Dinner

Beautiful Stranger

I kept staring at the clock the whole 1.5 hours during the lesson. You wouldn’t believe how relieved I was when Kim finally bowed to everyone, indicating that the lesson for the day has already ended. The students thanked Kim before they were dismissed.

Some hung around the studio for a few minutes with Kim, asking him some questions as they had enquiries regarding today’s lesson while others packed up and left right away.

“Kim, I’ll take my leave. See ya,” I patted his back before I left the studio for the lockers to grab my stuff.

As I approached the lockers, I saw a familiar-looking back there. He was just leaning against the pillar, staring into space and not moving a single muscle at all.

“Uh… Oh hey, uh, Kyung! Aren’t you gonna head home?” I asked him to break the cold awkward silence. I unlocked my locker with the little shiny key and shoved my towel, phone, water bottle, cologne and a notebook into my bag.

“Uh, y-yeah… I’m heading home right now,” Kyung replied without making eye contact with me before he got up to unlock his locker too and pack his bag.

I nodded my head and squatted beside the bench to tie my shoelaces. I noticed Kyung’s phone that vibrated and lighted up on the bench. Unconsciously, I glanced at his phone and accidentally read the pop-up notification.

>>I have to go back to work so I didn’t have the time to cook. Have dinner before heading home.

I guess that was his mom. I got up to put on my navy blue windbreaker. Kyung picked up his phone and swiped the screen to reread the text message. He scrunched his face, sighed and spoke to himself, “Again?”

I raised my eyebrows. Realising I was about to have dinner alone, I might as well invite this guy along. I haven’t had the chance to talk to him much in school anyway.

“Dinner together, shall we? I know a place,” I snapped my finger at the thought of the pretty good and affordable restaurant nearby.

“Okay, cool. Let me

He hesitated for a moment before agreeing.

Kyung’s point of view

I swear to God this was one of the longest 1.5 hours I had ever experienced. I don’t like taekwondo. That was bad enough. But the fact that Jiho bugged me the whole lesson made it worst. I was thankful it had already ended.