Late

Beautiful Stranger

It was 9:02am. Kyung already missed the first 2 periods. Not only did he wake up late, he also took the wrong bus which took the longer route. He could’ve taken the cab but unluckily, he had left his wallet at home. Great… He groaned feeling annoyed as he increased his pace towards the school gate. The security guard gestured to the second floor when Kyung asked him where classroom 1-7 is. Kyung muttered a "thank you" and bowed. He yanked his neck tie out of his bag and put it on hastily while brisk walking towards his class.

He looked around, hesitating to enter. He was slightly nervous. There wasn’t anyone in the corridor except for a few girls who probably skipped class. When they walked past him, they gave him a disgusted look. Puzzled him for a while. He figured it was because of his appearance. Kyung glanced over to the huge dark tinted door and observed his reflection. He was a mess. His messy and unstyled hair, shoes that were dirtied from the stupid puddle, and his tie wasn’t neat. He ruffled his hair and exhaled out of frustration. Kyung was pissed because he was late and the fact that he did not know the directions to class made him feel worse. He felt like a homeless freak. He sighed and looked up at his classroom sign again.

Well, here goes. He took light steps to the front door and knocked.

“Good morning. I’m very sorry I’m late,” he said while he abruptly adjusting his tie. He looked at her name tag and then to her face again.

Ms. Park responded, "Oh, you're the transfer student, Park Kyung, right?" 


“Class, this is your new classmate. Please be nice, and welcome Park Kyung.”

Everyone looked at him with a gruesome look on their face because of his messy appearance. Kyung’s eyes scanned at his new classmates and noticed that only one person wasn’t looking at him. That person had his head down on the table, most likely taking a nap and that he probably couldn’t care less about anything at all. Kyung just shrugged.

He bowed to his new classmates and said, “I’m Park Kyung. Please treat me well. Thank you.”

Ms. Park gestured to the back of the class where his seat is, behind that dude who couldn’t care less. Perfect, right beside the window where it’s nice and breezy and where no one really notices him. Ms. Park told the class to revert their attention back to the whiteboard while Kyung walked towards his seat. Meanwhile the dude lifted his head a little and watched Kyung walk past him. With piercing eyes looking at him from head to toe, he figured Kyung was the new kid so he just pulled his hoodie over his head and went back to sleep.

Kyung slumped onto his seat. He adjusted his tie, pushed the few strands of hair sticking on his forehead away to the side and tucked in his shirt a little more as if that would help him feel more comfortable. He felt kind of lost so he glanced around and looked at his classmates’ desks then turned his head to the whiteboard. He guessed it was English Literature period. So, Ms. Park is his form teacher and Literature teacher. He grabbed his notebook and diligently took down notes from the whiteboard although he couldn’t totally grasp on what Ms. Park was saying. He thinks those notes might help him in future.

About a few seconds later, a girl who sits beside him turned her head to him and said with a high pitched voice, “Annyeong! I’m Kim Na Young!” then flashed a bright smile at him.

“Ah… okay. I’m Kyung…” he said and rubbed his neck out of awkwardness.

She grinned at him and then fiddled with some papers in her bag. She took them out and handed it over to him then quickly looked in front in case Ms. Park reprimands her.

What the hell are these, Kyung thought to himself as he flipped through the pages. She slipped a sticky note on his table.

"These are notes regarding the lesson today. I have an extra copy so you may have it."

"Thanks," Kyung wrote on the back of the sticky note and slide it over to her table.

She acknowledged it and then went back to focus on the lesson. She seems really nice and bubbly. Kyung examined her appearance from head to toe, and he’s gotta admit, she looks pretty with her beautiful brown wavy hair which she tied with a pink rubber band. Her petite figure makes her look cute while her natural looking skin tone makes her look almost perfect.