White Midnight Waltz

Kitchen of Stories

Since young, I've been moulded into a fine moving art. Thinking that I'm the only beauty on the stage.

On my cue, the music will start and I would dance with it. Exposing my ability, Allegro, Adagio, Allonge, Grand Battement.. My years of hardwork turns my thin feet into a strong one.

Like a mannequin inside the music box.

Ballerina.

But then I saw you, whose dancing on top of the white and smooth cold ground. Spinning around gracefully, with the sharp blade under your feet craving those ice without mercy.

Jumping on your Triple Lutz, mocking your fellow competitor with your hands extended like an eagle soaring the sky. 

You're the upmost beautiful, and I'm falling for you.

My heart was frozen by the Ice Princess.


"Faster faster and faster!" shout the instructor, "Spin the world for us, Kwon Yuri!" her hands were clapping on the beat and it resonated inside the said woman's ears. She was already sweating furiously, her tanned skin glistened with drops of perspire and her breathing turned quick and unsteady. She dropped herself to the floor with herself panting, tired of doing the movements.

There were some shock shown on the other Ballerinas eyes, unable to believe that the best one of them collapsed easily. "Bah.." she failed to sit herself up, "I'm exhausted." she groaned and shut her bloodshot eyes for some rest. "Yuri, the special stage will be held next week on Sejong Center." the instructor sighed, "You need to keep yourself energized and prime for the training. Your movement needs to be perfect." she crouched and nudged her finger on the latter's exposed shoulder blade.

"Give me 15 minutes, Madame Han." Yuri muttered tiredly, "I just need a quick nap." she rolled herself away from her instructor and sprawled her limbs and feet carelessly on the wooden floor. Madame Han rolled her eyes at the childish act, but she let her be for the meantime. "I've set the timer for 15 minutes, more than that and I'll tell Soojung to splash you with a bucket of expired milk." she walked away and Yuri grimaced at the threat, yet she's satisfied to have some rest.

"I wonder if the expired milk would turn you white." she heard a giggle, "And I couldn't help myself but to wonder, why in the world would our best and energetic Ballerina act like this? You're surely not yourself for today, Yuri Unnie." she sighed and turn herself to the side. "Stop teasing me, Soojung." Yuri swatted her hand to shoo the girl that looks a bit like her, "Your Unnie lacking sleep and now needing sleep." her voice turned weaker and softer by every words; needing rest indeed.

Soojung tugged her lips into a smirk, having some thoughts to disturb Yuri. "Did you watch some rated movie, Unnie?" Yuri opened her eyes in shock, "I was right, am I?" Soojung laughed when she saw Yuri's flabbergasted expression. "No, I didn't!" Yuri sat herself up quickly and smacked Soojung's arm, "I did watch something but it was figure skating!" now her voice grew louder and Soojung kept on laughing despite being constantly smacked -lightly though.

"Alright, I believe you." Soojung calmed herself, "Then again, I'm surprised to know that you have some interest on figure skating." she amusedly stared at Yuri who's massaging her own shoulder. "Oh.. That.." Yuri sighed as she felt a bit relief on her shoulder, "It's just that.... I found some similarities between figure skating and Ballet. All the spinning and jumping, but much more careful and dangerous -still beautiful though." she smiled widely and Soojung nodded her head.

"Who’s the athlete? Kim Yuna?" Yuri shook her head, Soojung furrowed her brows. "The Ice Princess." Soojung's eyes widened a bit, "Do you know her? The one who always performed using the white feather-y mask?" Yuri quirked on of her eyebrows and turned her head towards Soojung. "Well, everyone knows her." she cleared , "May I ask you a favor, Unnie?" her eyes blinking a few times -begging.

Yuri looked at her weirdly but nodded her head anyway, Soojung grinned widely. "I want you to drive me to the local ice rink." she pleaded, "Please Unnie? I need to save my bus fare to buy my Unnie some Hoddeok on the way home later." Yuri's eyes twitched when she saw the pout and annoying fake watery eyes of Soojung. "Nyeh.. Fine." Yuri clicked her tounge, "But why ice rink?" she looked at Soojung once again with a questioning look.

"My sister waits for me there."

"Oh.. Is she a figure ska-.."

"Times up Kwon Yuri! Back to practice!"

"Jeez Madame Han........"

"Off you go Yuri Unnie!"

"Heol......."


"Soojung." Yuri nudge the latter's shoulder, "Your sister is a figure skater?" she asked the question that's left unanswered earlier. "Yes." the younger one nonchalantly replied, "I actually told her a lot about you, being a good senior for me. She have some interest on meeting you, but she didn't have the time to. She said to me that she wanted to attend one of our show out of curiosity, might as well I introduce the both of you. You also have the interest on figure skate, why not? Both of you might clicked." she grinned and Yuri just nod her head.

"Can you go heat up the car? I'll be right there in a while. Need to dry my hair." Yuri throw her car keys towards Soojung while walking on the hairdyer area. Soojung caught the car keys clumsily, "How to do it?" she shouted from afar and Yuri heard it well. "Just insert the key on the car ignition and turn it!" Yuri shouted back a bit more loudly because of the annoying sound of the blower.

Soojung do it as what Yuri said, and waited patiently inside the car. She didn't need to turn on the air conditioner since it's cold outside, letting the wind comes from the slightly opened window was enough. Soon enough, Yuri came with herself covered in thick clothing. "Why did you open the car window? It's freezing." Yuri entered the car and quickly closed the car window, amused with the younger one's habit of enduring the cold.

"It runs in the family?" Soojung shrugged and Yuri shook her head, "Really! We've spent our time growing up in the sunny side of America and we enjoy the cold here." she pouted while convincing Yuri. "Stop the pout, I believe you." she sighed, "Maybe I need a one-way trip to America after the show is over. To this sunny part that you said." Yuri used her seatbelt and tapped on Soojung's shoulder to remind the girl.

"Unnie knows someone who provide a cheap ticket." Soojung said while snapping her fingers, "Maybe you should ask her about it." she smiled and Yuri smiled too when she glanced to the side. "Seems like your Unnie goes back and forth from Korea to America, am I right?" Yuri asked while busy steering the car, Soojung nodded but shook her head also.

Yuri furrowed her brows and turned her head slightly towards Soojung while her eyes still on the road, Soojung knows that Yuri want some explanation out of her act.

"Er... Not just America, Unnie travels a lot."

"Oh... She's rich? Or the traveler type? Or both?"

"Kinda?"

"You're her sister but you don't know?" Yuri laughed and Soojung rolled her eyes. "You need to ask her that yourself if you're curious. I'm not her, you know?" Soojung blew raspberry, "You may practice that fabulous English of yours with her also." now it's her turn to chortle and laughed like crazy. "Oy! My English is not that bad!" Yuri whined, "Little little I can?" she said the word in English -Soojung was howling like a mad woman.

"English a little bit." Soojung re-enacted Yuri's way of using English on the last performance and her stomach was really hurting when she did it.

"Sooju-.."

"Gon Nyuri!"

Yuri blew her bangs and rolled her eyes at Soojung's unending teases and muttered to herself not to chew the neck of the laughing girl. She'll have the trouble of disposing the body. "Alright I'm sorry." said the young girl while wiping the tears on her eyes, "You need to consider yourself entering a comedy show once you're retiring later." she patted Yuri's shoulder and the latter pouted.

"That didn't make me feel better." she faked a sob, Soojung sighed and clicked her tounge repeatedly. "You know how to contact me if you need an English tutor."

"Ugh.. That bad?"

"Yeap.. That bad..."

The older one sulked and Soojung snickered at the antics. Yuri drove her car into the ice rink's parking lot and turn off the engine once she's done. "Come on Unnie!" Soojung hurriedly remove the seatbelt, "Just right in time." she showed her phone that just rang -언니(Unnie) was on the ID display. Yuri also removed her seatbelt and get out from the car, following the excited Soojung.

She walked a meter distance from Soojung, silently observing the area. It's nothing much, filled with shoes locker and pictures -almost the same with any other ice rink. Yuri saw a slightly short person with an auburn lock, fixing her skating shoes with one hand with the other holding a phone to her left ear. Soojung run and hugged that person, so Yuri knows that the person is her sister.

They were talking as the other one placed the phone down, Yuri saw that Soojung's finger was pointed at her and Soojung's sister seems a bit surprised by the way her back and shoulder raised. Soojung's sister nodded to something Soojung said inbetween her giggle, she stood up and turned herself towards Yuri after that.

Their eyes stared on each other for a second before Soojung's sister walks towards her in a smile, Yuri was a bit nervous somehow. "So you're Kwon Yuri?" it was in English and her voice was far softer than her sister's. "Oh shoot...." Yuri muttered a curse and bit her lip -not exactly know how to reply to that, "I... I am?" she gulped and smile; her eyes were literally strangling Soojung to death.

"You don't know about yourself?" she heard a quite cute giggle coming from the person, "Relax. I was just testing you." Yuri heaved a loud sigh after that statement. "K-Kwon Yuri." she bowed, "I know. Jung Sooyeon." the person in front of her bowed too. "So, how's her English?" Soojung popped up behind Sooyeon and Yuri glared at her once she straightened herself.

"I don't know 'cause it's just one sentence. Maybe some other time, I'll try with a longer one." Sooyeon winked at Soojung and the younger one stick her tounge out at the glaring lady. Yuri tried to compose herself as Sooyeon set her eyes on her, making sure that she didn't notice the glare towards her younger sister.

"Do you skate?" Sooyeon asked whilst smiling, "I can borrow you one of the skating shoes." she pointed at the shoes rack and Yuri shook her head. "I don't skate." she grinned sheepishly, "I might slipped and do an awkward split later." Yuri shuddered at the thought. "I can understand how you feel Unnie." Soojung grimaced, "And you too Unnie, I thought you wanted to go home early?" she nudged her sister who's staring in amusement.

"Oh you Ballerinas..." Sooyeon clicked her tongue, "Come on, try it. And Soojung, come here." she pulled her sister away after she pushed Yuri towards the shoes rack. Yuri looked at the skating shoes nervously then she turned her head back just to see Sooyeon whispering to Soojung. "Just a try..." Yuri gulped her saliva and choose one of the shoes which would fit her feet.

Yuri sit on the bench and put on the shoes hesitantly, still having the contemplating thought -did she really do the right thing? "You really want to try it?" Soojung appeared in front of her, "I'll go tell Sooyeon Unnie.... Oh, actually she's not leaving early. So I'm going to buy some Hoddeok and come back here, spend your time playing with Unnie. You may as well leave after you're finished, I'm going to wait until she's finished." she waved her hand and run towards her sister; Yuri just stared in amusement.

"So let's see that split of yours."

"Uh? Pardon?"

"Tie your skating shoes, I've written it down under my membership card name."

Sooyeon walked away while Yuri quickly tying up her shoes, she returned with a pair of blade and give it to Yuri. "I don't know how to, actually.." she was talking about the pair of blade, Sooyeon shrugged and helped her with it. Yuri tried to buy some time, she clench her jaw and her eyes filled with worry as she looked at the cold floor meters in front of her.

She gestured Yuri to follow her after she straightened herself. It was like walking on high heels, but much more harder -Yuri heaved a several sigh when she's still walking on the carpeted floor but held her breath when the entrance was just a step away. Sooyeon leisurely remove her blade cover and Yuri followed suit, but she stopped midway after she saw Sooyeon slide her feet on the ice -easily.

Yuri gawked in bewilderment, frozen in her spot. Sooyeon saw that and she moved herself to Yuri's front, making the latter removed her blade cover completely before she pulled her inside the ice rink. The tanned woman just couldn't get her balance perfectly and almost did what she said earlier; thanks to the railing for saving her arse.

"Bah! This is dangerous!" Yuri wails and placed her palm on her chest, feeling her heart almost dropped to the floor. Sooyeon giggled and stood beside Yuri, leisurely leaning on the railing with her feet steady on the ground. "Because there are no coaches today, I'll be your coach. Free." she extended her hand, "You'll be safe if you hold on tightly." she was smiling and Yuri blew another loud sigh before she took her hand.

She released her grip carefully from the railing and let herself being dragged by Sooyeon, far to the middle of the large ice rink with difficulties. She almost slipped several times but Sooyeon's grip was strong enough to assist her. Yuri clenched her jaw and squirmed when Sooyeon sped up and somehow letting her hand go, it made Yuri skated by herself towards the corner and slipped before she could manage to control her almost balanced feet.

Sooyeon bit her lip when she heard Yuri's loud yelp, she knows how painful it is to fell on the thick ice -years of experience and some troubles sitting worth it. "Forgive me, but I thought it would be good to train your balance." she helped Yuri to stand up, "Does it hurt?" she looked at the taller one in concern but she received a quick denial. "Far worse on Ballet." Yuri smiled and Sooyeon nodded in relief.

"Oh look." Sooyeon raised both of her hands, "What? I saw nothing." Yuri look at her palms questioningly. Sooyeon gestured on her feet and Yuri looked down, "Oh... Ah!" she panicked and grabbed on Sooyeon's shoulder immediately. "You just stood by your own two feet without my help earlier." Sooyeon laughed once again, "I guess the problem is your panic nerves." she tried to sneakily removed herself from Yuri but her shoulder was grabbed quite strongly.

"Assist me, please." Yuri whined, "Get me back to the entrance." she begged and Sooyeon chuckled at the gesture. "Try to move by yourself this time." she said to Yuri, "But I'll keep holding on your hand." and she firmly hold it. Just as what Sooyeon said, Yuri tried to move her feet one by one. Slowly at first but she felt a bit at ease to have Sooyeon helping her.

It was a bit quiet, since Yuri's busy learning how to skate and Sooyeon chose to speak first.

"So how old are you?"

"25."

"Same age then." Sooyeon smiled and once again remove her hand when Yuri was distracted, the latter didn't notice anything until she bumped into the railing and catch it quickly before anything happened again. "You did well." Sooyeon said while clapping her hands in a unique way, "Er... Thank you?" Yuri answered unsurely.

"Fortunately, no sudden Ballerina movement." she laughed, "You should come here often and I'll teach you. Only some certain nights though." she offered while skating beside Yuri who's moving towards the entrance. "Why night time?" Yuri stopped and also Sooyeon, "It's more comfortable since not much people or regular member, or coaches. Glad that I have the VIP card to access the rink whenever I want to." then Yuri realized that the rink was empty except for them.

"Really convenient, that card of yours." Yuri mused, Sooyeon nodded.

"Only for coaches and athletes, if they want to practice without no one knowing."

"So you're the coach, or the athlete?"

"Um... I'm the athlete. Why ask?"

"You're not on the search engine." Yuri said that in a low tone, afraid that it turns offensive towards Sooyeon. "I'm just the local normal one." Sooyeon simply smiled and shrug it off, "Who brought your interest towards this kind of sport?" she asked and Yuri's eyes litted up. "The Ice Princess." Yuri chimed happily, "I saw her on TV and... I was mesmerized." Sooyeon was a bit surprised but nodded anyway.

Yuri stopped her daydreaming and turned her vision on Sooyeon, she saw her surprised expression. "What's with the surprised expression?" Yuri quirked one of her brows, "She was my competitor on the local competition." Sooyeon calmly answered Yuri's question. That shutted Yuri's mouth and she thought that she really offended Sooyeon with her words this time.

"If you thought that offended me, no." Sooyeon grinned and shook her head, "The Ice Princess is not my nemesis. Not anyone even Kim Yuna herself." Yuri seems a bit relaxed and she continued moving towards the entrance and covered her blade after she reach it. "I guess I should leave and have my rest then. Training hard tomorrow morning." Yuri walked towards the bench and untie the shoelace, "I'll consider your offer also." she smiled while Sooyeon was staring.

"Sure. I'll wait for Soojung." she smiled back, "Just leave the shoes there, I'll take care of it." Sooyeon quickly halted Yuri when she tried to remove the blade. "It was nice meeting you." Yuri stood up and bowed after she put on her sport shoes, "Come again!" Sooyeon bowed and waved her hand. She was about to push the exit door, but worried if it's okay to leave her alone. Yuri stayed and leaned on the wall while she's not looking and waited for Soojung.

What she saw, was amazing. Sooyeon's movement was elegant and beyond her thought, the statement 'The local normal one' was not shown on it. Sooyeon was spinning, jumping, dancing in the middle of the empty ice rink. There was no music, but it felt like there was a melody trailing behind her shadows. Yuri's eyes were fixed on her.

Sooyeon was attempting another Lutz, but she fell hard to the ground and it surprised Yuri. "Unnie!" Soojung suddenly rushed from the door and throw her bags aside, reaching for her sister eventhough the ice made it hard. Yuri couldn't do anything and watched from afar, worried but unable to show herself up. She was relieved when Soojung managed to help Sooyeon, and quickly got out from the ice rink before anyone noticed.

"Are you alright Unnie?" Soojung asked worriedly, "I said no jumps before the wounds on your feet are healed!" she scolded Sooyeon. "Occupational hazard." Sooyeon said inbetween her gritted teeth, "I need to get used to the new shoes before the next competition." she saw the slightly ajar exit door while moving towards the railing and ignored the fuming but worried Soojung.

"It was wounded badly and still bleeding." Soojung softened her tone, "Let's go home and rest Unnie." she pleaded but Sooyeon kept her eyes on the door. She slightly heard a faint voice of screeching car tires and the engine, stopping on her tracks until the voice's gone.

'She was watching?'

"Unnie?"

"Alright.. Let's go home.."

"Finally."


Yuri didn't get enough rest, again. She was watching the Ice Princess again, and tried to link her with Sooyeon.

No avail.

They're too different from each other, and Yuri gave up with the thought that she was just delusional. The Lutz movement might be similar, but they're not the same person. Or are they?

Zoning out in the middle of her stretching session, Madame Han's loud voice sure wasn't enough to snap her back to reality. "Stretch yourself properly Kwon!" a loud smacking sound was heard, "I'll deflate that buttocks of yours if you don't." Yuri squirmed and slightly glared at Madame Han -fortunately unnoticed. She muttered a few unpleasant remarks under her breath towards the giggling other Ballerinas and now focused on her stretching.

Soojung tiptoed and stood behind Yuri when Madame Han was not watching, tapping the older one's back to have her attention. Yuri glanced at the mirror and saw Soojung's reflection, looking around for Madame Han and stopping her stretching for a moment. "What is it?" she whispered, "Be quick, alright? No more buttocks smacking from Madame Han." she was still holding back the burning sting.

"I saw your car yesterday, weirdly I didn't see you."

"Uh.. I was inside the toilet?"

"Huh? Really? But the toilet was inside.."

"You just didn't notice my presence."

"I was there, helping my Unnie."

"Oh? What's with her?"

"She fell and hurt herself."

"My god." Yuri faked a surprised expression, "Is she alright?" she gasped and acted panic also. "She's stubborn, my Unnie." Soojung sighed, "I can't say that she's alright because Unnie always pushed herself over the line. Even an iron rope wouldn't be enough to bind her, she's out for another round of training today." she frowned and seems a bit sad.

Yuri bit her lip hard, worrying about Sooyeon's condition. The way she fell was way too hard and hurtful actually. "I guess I have some ointments and painkillers left." it's used for Ballerinas too, "I'll give it to you later." that way Yuri won't feel guilty for leaving her alone yesterday. "Why don't you come with me again and give it to her yourself?" Soojung offered, "Find a way to distract her from training, please?" oh that plead.

"I'll think about the way." Yuri sighed and nodded, "Now g-.."

"Kwon Yuri and Jung Soojung! Sit up 25 times!"

"Damn...."


Just like what Soojung wanted, Yuri found a way to distract Sooyeon from training. She remembered that Soojung said that her sister wanted to watch one of Ballet performance, luckily there were 1 or 2 invitation card left for the event at Sejong Center. Soojung must be thankful later that the invitation would at least halt her training for one night, hopefully.

Yuri placed all the ointments and painkillers inside a paper bag and light up from the car immediately after Soojung did, catching up to the rushing girl and to avoid the cold wind blows. Soojung entered the door earlier than Yuri, but she came out and halted Yuri on the way. "Unnie, please go back to the car! I.. I left my p-phone!" Soojung stuttered and pushed Yuri back to her car while she was rushing back to the ice rink, leaving Yuri confused.

Her teeth gritted tightly when the chilling sensation tickled the back of her neck, walking in a quick pace towards the car and opened the passenger car to search for Soojung's phone. "Jeez! There's nothing.." she closed the door and walked back in a big step, clenching her jaw to bear with the cold. She pushed the door open and sighed at the warm sensation, unable to notice the tensing Soojung in front of her.

"Where's your sister?" Yuri looked around just to see the awkwardly fidgety Soojung, "And your phone's not there." she walked to the nearest bench and sit. "She's inside the toilet." Soojung's eyes shifted to the back then to Yuri, "Oh my phone? I just realized that it was inside my coat pocket." she grinned sheepishly. Yuri noticed the weird act, but she thought it was because of the guilt of troubling her and she didn't pry about it.

"I'm alright with it, you know?" Yuri mentioned about the phone searching, "Calm yourself." she patted the seat beside her and Soojung still seems a bit tensed. Soojung finally stop tensing and took a seat beside Yuri quietly, having the older one smiled at her innocently. Yuri calmly waited for minutes, but Soojung keep on looking back until Sooyeon finally comes out.

"I'm sorry for the wait, ladies problem." Yuri saw the big bag Sooyeon carried, "Oh... It's alright." she nodded and grinned -having the thought that it is what it is. "You sure took your time." Soojung's back relaxed, "You made me panicked." she pouted and Sooyeon patted her head while walking towards the bench and sitting in front of them.

Sooyeon was wearing slippers at the time, so Yuri noticed the slightly red bandage on her feet. There was some bruises on Sooyeon's slightly concealed cheekbone and a big one on her wrist, that draws out Yuri's concern. "Does it... Painful?" Yuri asked when Sooyeon removed her slippers, it stopped the latter from reaching out for the skating shoes.

"Just like the pain when you guys tripped." Sooyeon chuckled, feigning nonchalance. "Don't you dare say occupational hazard, Unnie." Soojung turned grumpy, "You're the one who strained yourself." she crossed her arms and glared at her sister. "I'm sorry, but it's needed to be done." Sooyeon smiled sadly, "If it would make you feel better, I won't skate for today." she placed the skating shoes aside and get her normal shoes instead.

Soojung's eyes softened and she nodded, currently forgetting Yuri's presence. When the atmosphere seems a bit brighter, Yuri cleared and made the sisters turn their head. "You said it was like the pain when we tripped, right?" she took the paper bag, "I guess this might help you." she extend it towards Sooyeon with a smile.

Sooyeon eyes widened and she accept the paper bag shyly. "You didn't have to do this actually." she said under slight embarassment, Yuri shook her head and mouthed 'It's alright' towards her. "I don't want my skating teacher to come limping and in hurt." Yuri grinned and Sooyeon's face brightened up immediately. 

"Oh? You guys have some deal on something?" Soojung look back and forth from Yuri to Sooyeon, both of them shook their head.

"It was an offer."

Both of them said at the same time, chuckling at the coincidence. "Both of you really clicked." Soojung scoffed, "Put on your shoes Unnie, let's go home." she's already hungry herself. "Er.. Wait up." Yuri rummaged her pocket, "I brought this invitation card. I heard that you wanted to watch Ballet.." she give the card to Sooyeon.

She read the card thoroughly, "Sejong Center on Wednesday night next week?" Yuri hummed and nodded. "Can you make it Unnie?" Soojung stared at her sister's worried face, "I'll be inside the performance also, I want you to watch me." Sooyeon sighed loudly and closed the card. "I'll manage to come." she slipped the card on her bag, "I hope this would help me." she grinned as she showed them the dangling paper bag on her fingers.

"Sure, it helped me." Yuri chuckled, "If you need my contact, Soojung have it." she stood up -choosing to leave since she's done for her task. "You're leaving so soon?" Sooyeon also stood up, "I need some rest." Yuri simply answered and tucked her hands inside the coat pocket. "Ah.. Alright then." Sooyeon nodded, "Bye Yul-.. Er.. Yuri." Sooyeon waved her hand awkwardly and Yuri laughed at that.

"It's okay to call me Yul. Bye Sooyeon."

"Bye.."

The Jung sisters sighed loudly. They look at each other and leaned on the bench simultaneously.

"You should be careful Unnie."

"Kindly warn me next time?"

"Sure."


Madame Han really pressed them for the following days, resulting on a exhausted -zombie Ballerinas. Yuri didn't even get the chance to eat, her exhaustion made her crashed on the bed after she got home. Not replying to any text, not going anywhere, not watching or searching for anything, just a perfect and nice goodnight sleep.

On her dream, the Ice Princess was there. Working hard just like her, to have the perfection and to win another medal. The crowd loves her, Yuri loves her. But then, there was an image on Sooyeon.

Appearing beside the Ice Princess, cladded in black rather in white. Spinning in the same movement, jumping with the same grace.

Trailing like a perfect shadow.

Her heart flutters and eyes wide opened, waking up in confusion. She sat up and hugged her own knees, thinking about the dream she had and to calm her rapidly beating heart. 'It might be my nervousity.' she finally calmed herself, surprised when she checked the date and time on her phone. "It's a bad sign." she muttered and jolted from the bed to prepare herself, just a few hours left before the rehearsal.

She ignored all the message on her phone and call Madame Han immediately, not caring about the dangling toothbrush on .

"Yes?"

"Madhame Fan! I nheed fu fake mhai chostume on dhe fractise rhoom!"

"What?"

"Bah! I need to take my costume on the practice room. Did you lock the door for today?"

"Yes I locked the door. The key was with Hyunjung."

Yuri hold her curse from coming out and said 'Thank You' before hanging up. The practice place is far from her house and Hyunjung is the least person that she wanted to meet. Yuri couldn't stand the way she speak, carefully not to punch and cut her tounge later. Her costume is the priority and she needs to be fast.

She drove her car with her hair still wet and wrapped in a towel, beating up the extreme cold. The annoying traffic made her reach the destination about 55 minutes, Yuri run frantically to search for Hyunjung after she parked her car; fist balling up to threaten her. She caught the girl chatting with the breakdance instructor, Yuri didn't hesitate and pull her away.

"Give. Me. The. Keys." her eyes glaring and Hyunjung have no choice but to obey her. She took the key and pushed Hyunjung away, rushing to the practice room and searched for her costume. Looking here and there, finally she got her costume near the locker. Yuri walked out and locked the door, throwing the key to the was-and-still frozen Hyunjung.

Yuri wanted to call Soojung and borrow her make-up box, but she checked the message notification first -realizing that there were some unknown number. It was from Sooyeon, and Yuri frowned when she read the message.

"Looks like I won't be able to come to the show today, but I'll manage to rush if things goes well. Please relay the message to Soojung also ㅠㅠ"

The car was filled with her sigh.


She kept her phone inside her bag and approached her coach, warming up and control her nerves. Today would be another day where she struggled on top of the cold stage, competing with another figure skaters.

It was not easy, remembering about her current condition.

"I think I'm not ready to wear the new skating shoes." she grimaced when she take off the shoes, "Please let me use the old one." her feet become a total wreck. "Are you sure?" the coach looked at her in concern, "That pair was over-used, Jessica." the latter contemplated for a second. "It would be alright, just give me the old one." the girl known as Jessica plead, "5 minute performance only." she rummaged a paper bag for a painkiller and quickly downed one.

When the pain eased, Jessica fixed her make-up while waiting for the coach to return. "Excuse me, would you please help me to spray this part of my hair?" Jessica asked for a wandering woman, "They're not dyed well." she give the can of hairspray to the woman and pointed at her back. "So your hair colour is auburn?" the woman chuckled, "You need to take care of it if you dyed it everytime you compete." she said and Jessica simply smiled.

"They were black like my sister's." Jessica smiled sadly, "It turned a bit brown since I started using this washable hairspray." the woman nodded in agreement. The woman stopped spraying and Jessica checked her hair with the mirror, smiling at the woman. "Thanks for the help." Jessica grinned, "No problem. Do your best Ice Princess!" the woman walked away and bowed a bit which Jessica followed with a nod.

The coach returned, panting after running for a long distance. "I'm sorry for the trouble. Kim Yuna is on the arena now." Jessica took the skating shoes quickly, "Thank you coach." she smiled and the coach just simply nod while drinking a bottle of water. There's 2 minutes left before Kim Yuna finished, and Jessica used it for praying. She got a text after she's finished, from her sister.

"Unnie, you need to come after that 'things' of yours finished. :("

Jessica chuckled.

"Do well on your rehearsal and your show."

She replied in a matter of second before her name got called to enter the arena. Jessica shoved her phone again to the bag and took a white mask out, wearing it to match her white skating dress. She walked carefully, on the uncomfortable old shoes. Jessica took a deep long breath while removing the blade cover and release it when she enter the arena.

"Like a ballerina." she said to herself.

The stage name 'Ice Princess' was shouted across the hall, supporting the lady in white.

When the music starts, the light turned dim. She is the center of attention, having the spotlight following her every movement.

Blending in the white, she was fast yet gentle like a snowfall.

Spinning gracefully, opening her hands like a newborn butterfly.

But then, the jump. It made her bleed, although the pain was eased already. Her first attempt of Triple Lutz succeed perfectly, but her balance wavered. She hid all of that flaws with simple movement, hiding her own misery under the mask.

A minute left, and she planned to end it with a long spin. She rushed towards the middle of the ice rink and attempted another Lutz, but the blade got chapped in the middle of her attempt.

She fell and hurt herself, badly. Whimpering, the cold ice was stinging on her wounded and bleeding skin. 

She fainted, after a long struggle to stay conscious.


Yuri performed with all her energy, giving the audience her best. Something bugged her though, Soojung also.

There was an empty seat. Reserved for a certain person, but that person never arrived. And the show's ended, without that person watching even for a minute.

Soojung and Yuri were sad, a bit disappointed about it. "At least she apologized." Yuri tried to coax Soojung, "It's not her day maybe?" she smiled weakly and Soojung just merely nodded. Yuri took a seat and reaching out for her phone, turning it on while removing her make-up. She stopped midway and widened her eyes at the numerous missed call from Sooyeon, turning her head over Soojung who wear the same expression.

"Try to call her." Yuri told her, "I'll just leave a message." she quickly removed all the remaining make-up and typed a text after it. Soojung did the same and used the speed-dial to call her sister, asking what happened.

"Hello? Are you Jung Soojung?"

"Yes. Who are you?"

"I am Jessica's coach, would you please rush to the hospital? Jessica is badly hurted."

Soojung gasped loudly and Yuri stop sending her text, approaching the younger girl instead. "Alright, I'll be there quickly." that's what Soojung said before turning herself towards Yuri with watery eyes, drawing questioning look from her.

"What's wro-.."

"Unnie is in the hospital."

Yuri widened her eyes and Soojung cried, both shocked and worried sick. "Go take your belongings now, I'll drive you to the hospital." Yuri dabbed a tissue to Soojung's eyes and she nodded while reaching for her bag, keeping her things inside it while sobbing. Yuri herself didn't waste her time and finished quickly, didn't change her costume but covering it with her thick coat and pulled Soojung with her once the latter done.

The hospital was quite far from Sejong Center, but luckily the traffic was not as bad as the afternoon. Yuri parked her car sloppily, but a good parking are not required when someone's in trouble. Both of them pushed the lift button repeatedly, forcing it to open quickly. Soojung run with all her might, followed by Yuri just as quick even when they are wearing the suffocating Ballet shoes.

The younger one pushed the ward door open, the older one gasped when she saw the person who's laying in the bed. "Oh.. Unnie..." Soojung sobbed when she saw the bandaged shoulder and feet, bruises and some stitches on her head. Yuri walked silently, approaching the unconcious lady in silver hair.

Jung Sooyeon, the Ice Princess she loves.

"Sooyeon.." Yuri's voice cracked too, "You're her." she stopped and stared with her blurry vision -welling up tears with the painful sight. "Jessica forced herself to use the old skating shoes, unable to use the new one for the competition." a man chimed from the back, "I couldn't prevent her. I should be the one to blame, as her responsible coach." the coach lowered his head in shame.

Soojung sit right beside Sooyeon and shook her head. "Unnie herself is a stubborn person." Soojung said sadly, "What to do with this sister of mine." she sighed and clasped her hands on Sooyeon's. "Did the doctor say anything bad?" Yuri asked the coach, he shook his head. "No, nothing bad. The only thing we know is that, she won't be able to skate for a few weeks or months." he sighed, "Here, she used all the thing inside this paper bag days before. Quite helpful I say." he gave Yuri the paper bag and there's not much left inside it.

Yuri frowned and look up to the soundly sleeping Sooyeon, controling herself not to hug her. The coach bowed and left them later. Soojung stop sobbing and wipe her tears on the sleeve, removing her Ballet shoes and lay her head on the bedside. Yuri removed her Ballet shoes too, placing it on the side while keep staring at Sooyeon.

The younger one fell asleep easily because she was tired, but Yuri stay awake. Keeping an eye on Sooyeon, finally the latter opened her eyes. She looked around to find her sister and surprisingly, Yuri is beside her also. "Y-Yul?" she asked with her back tensed and eyes widened, "Y-you.... I.." Sooyeon panicked because of her appearance -her hair is still as the Ice Princess mode.

"It's alright." Yuri smiled and patted her fine shoulder to ease up, "I understand." she saw Sooyeon closed her eyes and heaved a sigh. The room was silent, but the atmosphere was not bad. Sooyeon finally opened to say something.

"How was the show?"

"We did great.."

"It must be tiring to jump around, splitting and bending.. Er.. Whatever it is." she chuckled.

"Sure it was tiring, but quite fun. How was yours? Ending up being like this is quite a sight."

"Dangerous, thrilling, cold."

"It must've been a beautiful one."

"It was..."

They grew quiet again, but there's a bit of smile plastered on their tired faces. Now it's Yuri who asked first.

"Why did you choose figure skating?"

Sooyeon smiled at the question.

"Actually... I wanted to join Ballet, but they said it's too late for me to have the lesson. So I saw a video of a figure skater on a TV the day after I returned home, and I thought it was cool. Figure skating have some similarities to Ballet somehow, and there's no limit of age. I tried myself for it, and signed Soojung for Ballet class."

"Similarities, eh?" Yuri slightly grinned, "We have the same thought then." Sooyeon have her own lips tugged into a slight grin also.

"No wonder why Soojung said we would clicked."

"We did." Sooyeon snickered, Yuri felt happy to see that. "I feel better." Sooyeon slightly moved her feet, "You enlightened my nood." she was smiling from ear to ear and it warmed Yuri's heart.

"I have something to drop your mood."

"Huh? What?"

"You won't be able to skate for a few weeks or months at worst."

"Bah." Sooyeon pouted and crossed her arms, Yuri cackled silently. "Soojung and I will watch you missy." Yuri nudged Sooyeon's arm and winked. Sooyeon felt the wink was a bit ridiculous and laughed seconds after. The laughter died down when Soojung snored loudly, leaving them chuckling at the sight of the sleeping girl.

Yuri rested her chin on top of her knuckles and stared at Sooyeon, feeling really happy.

"Would you teach me after you recovered?" Yuri asked with a low voice, to avoid Soojung's thunderous snore.

"I would love to. You should teach me some Ballet movement also." Sooyeon replied in a same tone and both of them grinned.

"Get well soon, Ice Princess."


Sooyeon was able to go home after a few days, and it made her happy. She was having a thought of sneaking out and have a skate, but the plan failed under Soojung's tight watch. She ended up being at home and watched the news about herself, 'The heart wrenching accident' or so they said. Although unable to go out for a few days, Sooyeon was still keeping in touch with Yuri or the others.

Ah, Yuri.

She grew closer to her after that day, and she was the reason why Sooyeon is able to cope up with her frown-worthy situation.

Yuri also started to call her 'Sica' after knowing that English name of her, simple she said.

Sooyeon is currently resting on her bed, cuddling her Teddy Bear and watching random foolish cartoon. Her attention diverted into her phone when there's an incoming message.

"Meet me at the ice rink near Namsan Tower, don't bring your skating shoes! ;)"

Her eyes lit up in excitement when she read 'Ice Rink' but her face fell when she read the rest of the message. She wanted to go out anyway, so Sooyeon thought it's alright for some breath of fresh air.

It's almost midnight already, and Soojung is asleep in her room. She put on the warmest clothing and quietly unlocked the door, not to wake up her sister. The temperature that night was so low, her breath appeared white when she blew it. Sooyeon called out for Taxi and quickly said her destination. She missed the sight of the late night hustle bustle of Seoul after a few days locked up in her room.

She got out from the Taxi leisurely, paying the fare and walked around to search for the ice rink. She quickened her pace when she found it, amused at the beautiful lighting that surrounds the outdoor ice rink.

Yuri was standing near the fence, leaning on it while rubbing her limb to ease the chill. She smiled widely when she saw Sooyeon walked towards her, spreading her arms for a hug from the latter. Sooyeon chuckled at the cute sight and hugged Yuri, both of them grinned.

"Why ice rink? You know I can't skate for a while." Sooyeon broke the hug and stared at the grinning Yuri. "You can skate, but with me." Yuri pointed down and Sooyeon gasped when she saw the skating shoes that Yuri used, "Come on." she removed the blade cover and enter the ice rink while pulling Sooyeon.

"I.. I... I didn't wear any skating shoes..." Sooyeon said, still confused on Yuri's behaviour. "It's alright." Yuri stopped pulling her and stood firmly in front of her, Sooyeon is quite surprised with her perfect balance.

"Step on my feet."

"Huh?"

"Just do it. Step on my feet, both of it." Yuri chuckled, "I'll guide you." she hold Sooyeon's hand -making sure that it's alright. Sooyeon gulped and hesitantly stepped on Yuri's feet, but Yuri helped her and she successly stood on both of Yuri's feet -her body is being held by Yuri. Yuri rummaged her pocket with one of her hand, doing something with the thing inside it.

Suddenly Sooyeon heard a music, a soft Waltz. She looked at Yuri in bewilderment, but the latter just smiled widely.

"Hold on tight."

Sooyeon did as she told, and the thing happens next was beyond her expectation.

Yuri danced, swaying on the melody with her.

She moved without hesitation, it amazed Sooyeon and touched her.

"H..how?"

"Many times of falling." Yuri chuckled.

Sooyeon's face broke into a big grin, Yuri did the same to her.

They were moving in circles, spinning in delicate movement following the melody. When the music stops, they stared at each other.

"Sica.. I love you." Yuri sincerely said inbetween her happy smile. Sooyeon was shocked to hear that, but she felt her heart fluttered also. She wrapped her arms tightly around Yuri and rested head on the taller one's bosom.

"I love you too."

It's a bit muffled, but Yuri heard it clearly.

"Until I'm fully recovered, please skate with me like this." Sooyeon blushed, "Alone in the empty ice rink." she's still hiding her face from Yuri.

As Yuri opened to reply, snows were falling. Both of them looked up and witnessed the first snow of winter, feeling cold yet warm at the same time. Their eyes met once again and shy smiles were there on their face.

"Shall we do another round?"

"Lead me."

-The End-