Swaying on That Jazz

Kitchen of Stories

Her desperate hands were strangling on her sketchbook, hoping it would bleed out ideas as it crumpled.

Nah, none.       

"Not only to your bestfriends, your sketchbook deserves a place in heaven." a loud husky voice teased, "You're way too violent, Jessica." seems not liking the fact-hence the flying sketchbook; not to heaven though. "Shut it you loud mouthed Hwang Tiffany." Jessica hissed as she points at her slightly wounded friend, "I have a business to run and it's currently not running. NOT! Ask why." her bulging and reddened eye glared; you don't want to have her eyes rolling on the floor while glaring at you, especially a red one. No.

"Why?" Tiffany tapped on her forehead lightly, it felt like bleeding but it happens to be no blood-be leaving some good looking bruises. "Because it didn't have a feet to run you idiot!" obviously, "And it's impossible to attach a pair of feet to it! No donors!" she lost her mind-mostly. "You should just amputate your feet, woman." Tiffany muttered under her breath, "Oh Jessi darling.. Maybe you're just tired and stressed up with the deadline. Why don't ya' take some rest, hm? I'll finish half of it." now her voice sounded too sweet for the other's likings.

She almost barfed in front of that open mouthed smile last time.

Uagh.                                                                 

"Farting cucumbers." Jessica rolled her eyes, "Alright.. You finish up half of the design, darned Pink Monster. I'll be leaving a trace of my fame downtown." she goes for her bans and winter coat. "Be done before you know it." Tiffany said nonchalantly, "Don't ever come back Jessi!" she waved her hand with a fake smile attached to her face. Jessica wanted to turn back and curse with all the dirty vocab she knows but Tiffany slammed the door quickly.

"I'll amputate the fart out of your feet, Hwang!"


Although seemed to be crowded, Seoul's view of night time was one of Jessica's fondness. She didn't really like the feeling of having her hand stuck inside her pocket for too long, it's better to warm it up by holding a cup of hot chocolate. She sat leisurely on the bench, having her eyes on the passenger’s behind her bans. Fancy having them feel the chill and freakin' creep fame out of her aura.

Somewhere near the place she vent out the creepy creep fame of hers, a random band was playing a nice Jazz song. The melody brought her to the level of standing up from her leisure seat, which is not her forte-lazy much? "Oh I know this song." she smiled to herself, "Tony Bennett's The Way You Look Tonight." then she found herself walking towards the band.

Jessica was surprised when the lyrics of the song were sung by a woman. A hot one, for the species of ‘Womanity’ even if she's a bit tanned. Her eyes were lurking up and down, from the hat to the polished black shoes the woman was wearing. The tux matches the woman looks well, attractive and y were the right words to describe. "Just the way you look... Tonight.." the woman sung the last verse and Jessica was star-struck when her eyes literally-pierced into hers.

"Miss."

"Do you have any particular request?"

Her cup of hot chocolate almost slipped out of her hand when the woman asked her, directly from the place she stood. "A-.. Anything would be fine." Jessica shyly answered, "I'll enjoy every song that you sing." that sounds so creepy wrong somehow. The woman chuckled lightly as she turned back and whispered something to her band mate. Jessica take off her bans as she waits and let her eyes enjoy the light that shines brighter on the decorated trees.

Then for a split second..

Their eyes met again.

"La Vie en Rose, for the beautiful stranger."


Jessica swore that she was bewitched, her mind was unable to crawl its way out to reality again.

The reasons:

  1. Jessica Jung's mind were occupied by the charming Jazz vocalist she met the other day.
  2. Jessica Jung's mind were also being occupied by the Jazz vocalist's features.
  3. Jessica Jung's mind were wrecked by the Jazz vocalist's y husky voice.
  4. Repeat the action.

Her teeth were biting on the pencil mercilessly and she was salivating on it. Her almost empty sketchbook by the other day were now replaced by drawings of woman, wearing a tux with different styles. "I didn't know that you have some habit of..... eating your pencil." Tiffany jeered, "You said you were hygienic?" Jessica didn't seem to mind her blabbering friend though.

Tiffany pulled away the sketchbook on Jessica's table and placed it on hers, before any drop of saliva falls on it. "Oh.. These are wonderful." Tiffany mused, "But I never thought that you would go for the boyish concept." Jessica stop chewing on her pencil and stared at Tiffany. Jessica threw her pencil towards Tiffany's forehead, "Who gave you the rights to touch my property?" she hissed. "Get your cucumber stained fingers away from my sketchbook!" she slapped Tiffany's hands with a ruler and pulled it away quickly.

"Why you.." Tiffany growled, "You're the one who made me need to use that eternal enemy of yours! Look at my forehead! Focus on it! You've created a big freakin' U.S.A on it! Have your eyes set on it and see Barack Obama for yourself woman!" her forehead almost banged Jessica's eyes. Jessica drummed her palm on Tiffany's now perfectly injured forehead by reflex and quickly ran away from her.

Uh.

Oh.

"You....... You..........." the monster awakened, "I swear I'm going to squeeze that head of yours inside a chicken ..." her hands were reaching for Jessica's neck and no nearby fire escape. "Tiff, think about Pink. T-think about me drenched in Pink." Jessica stuttered and almost shrieked like a Dolphin, but she thanked God as Tiffany's hand retracted. "I... Can't... Hurt...... Pink......." Tiffany stepped back while mumbling.

No wonder why her boyfriend always showed up in Pink.

Both of them blew a loud sigh. "The deadline ruined our sanity." Tiffany massaged her neck, "We need a good break later." she took a seat and leaned on the back. "We should go for shopping." Jessica chuckled, "Let's spend the hell out of our massive income for cute clothings and half of it for new wardrobes." she leaned on the wall and grinned on the thought.

"But we need to finish this first." Tiffany cheer herself up, "C'mon Jessi." she turned back and started to work. "Right." Jessica nodded and picked up her pencil from the ground, but she stopped midway when she looked at her own earlier drawings. "I might as well go for the boyish concept after all.." Jessica placed her sketchbook in front of Tiffany, "Suddenly I want to have some coffee from the downtown area, want some?" she asked while smiling.

"Oh sure. The caffeine might reduce my pain." Tiffany grinned, "Want me to add something on the design?" she pointed at Jessica's drawings but the latter shook her head.

"Let it be that way."


It was nice to witness some light snowfall from the inside of the dim lighted Cafe. Tiffany didn't mind waiting for a long time because she wanted to focus on some designs, she told Jessica to have her dinner also. The place where she saw that Jazz vocalist are not too far from her current location. Having the thought of visiting the place again made her lips tugged into a sweet smile.

Jessica drummed her fingers while humming on the Jazz beats, but then she stopped when someone familiar entered the Cafe. The woman she saw yesterday was panting and her hair seems a bit messy, there was a big guitar case on her back; Jessica just can't remove her eyes from her when the other was chatting animatedly with the waitress. "Oh? The lady from the previous night." the woman smiled and it surprised Jessica, "What a coincidence." how did she notice anyway?

"Uh.. Er... How..?" Jessica stuttered like a fool and the woman pointed at the empty stage in front of her, "Ah.. So you're going to perform." she smiled sheepishly and the woman nodded her head. "But I have to wait for at least an hour. I need to get a pair of new batteries for my watch." she shrugged and Jessica saw some adorable pout, "May I?" she pointed at the empty seat in front of Jessica and the latter nod like crazy.

"What's your name?" she placed her guitar case beside the table, "I'm Kwon Yuri." she grinned while extending her palm. "J-Jung Jessica." Jessica shook her hand, "It's great to know you." she swallowed all of her shyness and smiled as wide as her face could bear it. "Are you a fan of Jazz music?" Yuri asked, "You really enjoyed the music, from the way I saw you yesterday." she clasped her hand on the table and stare at Jessica.

She's melting.

And mopped away by feelings.

"I didn't have that much collection of Jazz music, but I listened to some." Jessica explained, "Jazz calmed my overworked mind." she was almost blinded when Yuri glew in happiness. "That's great." Yuri chimed, "What were you thinking anyway? Just some curious question." she was expecting the answer like a kid. "I'm working on a fashion design." Yuri was agaped, "The deadline is up sooner than what I expected. It needs to be finished before the fashion show." Jessica sighed and slumped her shoulder.

"Where would the fashion show gonna be held anyway?" Yuri shown some interest, "My hometown U.S.A; South California then to New York. Means that I'll be leaving Korea for a long time." her face fell immediately. "Shame on me. That's too far for me to reach." she bit her lip, "But you said that Jazz calmed you, right? Then I'll make sure that you'll listen to some of the great ones!" Yuri chuckled happily. "We're strangers, but you're nice towards me." over the line actually, "It's spontaneous." the other grinned.

"Looks like the Cafe isn't the only place." Jessica stated, "Tell me where I can find you the next time we met." she wanted to some more of her. "You'll find me singing in the entire downtown area." Yuri giggled, "I'll always be here with my small band of Jazz." Jessica smiled at that. Not long after that, Yuri's band mate came one by one and she needs to leave Jessica for some stage preparation.

It saddened Jessica that she won't be seeing Yuri. But Yuri might not remember Jessica.

On the stage that night, the band was playing smooth Jazz tracks.

For Jessica, of course.


Jessica really left Korea after the deadline was finished, leaving her bestfriend to take care the Korean branch for the meantime. 

She was too caught up on schedules and orders, can't seem to relax herself. She exploded a lot in the office because of her unstable emotion and tired body, her co-workers were concerned that they suggest her to rest.

She took the offer happily.

Jessica took a walk on the cold busy night of New York. The car that passed by the streets left humming voices on her ears, totally different from places she visited while staying at Seoul. She missed the somehow quiet environment.

There was another thing that she missed, and she missed it more when she looked at some Jazz band randomly played at the park. The band was playing La Vie en Rose, the one that Yuri sung for her.

Jessica missed Yuri, but not for the Jazz music.

And it's time to order the ticket to get back to Seoul.


"Nice to see you back 'ere Jessi." Tiffany hugged her bestfriend, "I missed the feeling of being wounded by your sketchbook." she laughed loudly. "I'm avoiding works for awhile, Tiff." Jessica poked Tiffany's ticklish waist, "But I might as well work here than staying on New York." she giggled. "Alright, let's get your suitcase to my apartement." Tiffany pulled one with her but Jessica stopped her.

"Please take me to the downtown area." Jessica said with her puppy eyes, "I'm famished." was it glint of tears on her eyes? Tiffany pushed Jessica's face aside and walked away to her car, but she drove Jessica to the downtown area anyways.

Tiffany wanted to follow Jessica after they alighted from the car, but she was distracted by a Pink stall that sell cotton candies.

Pink Monster indeed.

Jessica looked around from Cafe to Cafe, but there's no sign of Yuri. She sat dejectedly on a lone bench while drenching with a bottle of mineral water; looking for that Jazz vocalist seems like a hell of a workout for her. She slumped her shoulder and pouted while hanging her head low, not seeming to notice there's someone in front of her.

Jessica seen the shadow from the ground and she looked up immediately, having the thought that it was Tiffany.

Nope, not Tiffany.

But she was beyond happy.

"Do you have any particular request, Miss Jung Jessica?"