Chapter 16

Let Me See You (HIATUS)

"Saehee didn't come again today," Luhan picked at his bought food during lunch. The boys sat together at a lunch table, but instead of their usual playfulness, they were quiet.

“I wonder her uncle doesn’t do anything. She’s probably hiding in her,” Chen mumbled out loud.

“He probably has his reasons,” Lay said, trying to her uncle the benefit of the doubt.

“Yeah, but for someone who really cares about her, it doesn’t seem like it if he’s letting her waste her life away.” Chen was obviously irritated. The group didn’t argue with him on that.

Ever since the school incident on the first day two weeks ago, Saehee hadn't come to school. Minseok went to talk to her after his regularly scheduled piano lesson.

 

 

"Saehee, it's Minseok, can I come in?" Minseok desperately wanted to see her.

"No," Saehee said. She was standing up, leaning her back against the door of her bedroom.

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Because what?"

"...just because."

This was getting Minseok nowhere. He took a breath, trying to keep his patience. He too, could lose his patience; especially when the girl he loved was confining herself again; confining herself in isolation with no one to comfort her.

"I...I just want to say that you did well on the first day of school. I don't blame you for anything. So if that's what's bothering you, just know that you did nothing wrong. Because you did your best...you did nothing wrong," Minseok cleared his throat, "I miss you."

Saehee's eyes widened at the last thing he said. After that, there was silence. Minseok left to give her some privacy and time to think about what he said. Before Saehee knew it, tears began rolling down her already tear stained cheeks. He misses me, Saehee thought. His voice when he said that remained in her mind. She missed him too.

That night she stayed up in thought. She came to realize something: when Minseok told her that she did well, she honestly didn't want to hear it and completely disagreed. But when he mentioned that he misses her, she suddenly had an urge to go back to school.

She wasn't changing for herself, but she was changing for Minseok.

She wanted to stay by his side; and wanted him to praise her for doing well; and she wanted to experience new things with him. She didn't care if she ever went to school or not or if she would be able to make more friends. All she wanted was Minseok.

She wanted to see him smile for her, and be the reason why he was smiling. Because that’s what she felt towards him.

“Don’t think so highly of yourself,” her imaginary bunny appeared by her side. But instead of its usual hyperactive self, it had on a hard expression.

“Who are you?” Saehee backed away from the no longer familiar figure.

“What are you talking about? It’s me of course,” the bunny gave her a dumbfounded look.

“No you aren’t. My bunny wouldn’t talk to me like that.” She furrowed her eyes brows.

“Are you sure? I’ve always been like this,” it insisted. Saehee was slowly growing scared of its new personality and tone of voice.

“Don’t forget I am just a figment of your imagination. I’ll act anyway you want me to.” The bunny said in a matter-of-fact tone.

That’s right, Saehee remembered. Whatever Saehee saw it was only her imagination; it was her own mind thinking those things up and making them real to her. But she couldn’t figure out why all of a sudden she made it change personalities.

The bunny took a few hops towards her; a horrifying expression came across its face. “Go away,” she whispered. It didn’t disappear like the other times she told it to go away, and instead it got closer. So close that she was able to see the details of the fur and face.

It took another hop forward, making Saehee fall onto her bed. It leaned down and the bunny’s face changed forms. Her hallucination turned into her parents’ faces. They looked sad and hurt. Their faces were exactly how they looked when Saehee went to the hospital to see their lifeless bodies—pale faces, bruised cheeks, closed eyes—the features were all the same.

“Minseok!” She screamed, covering her eyes from the frightening sight. After a minute of her heavy breaths, she took a peak out between her fingers. It was gone. And she was alone in her room again. She wanted to see Minseok.

 

 

Tao picked up his fork in order to place the food in his mouth. As he lifted his head up a bit his eyes landed on something strangely familiar. A small girl was clumsily walking pass the crowd of people walking the opposite direction of her. It was Saehee!

He gasped, almost choking on the food he was already chewing on. "Saehee!"

Everyone's heads popped up at hearing her name.

"Where?!" Minseok especially got anxious. He jumped up from his seat and spun around a few times to scan the area. He stopped spinning once seeing her making her way towards them.

"Saehee, over here!" Minseok gleefully waved his arms in the air though she had already spotted.

She smiled, happy to see Minseok.

“Saehee!” The boys ran over to her and threw their arms up to embrace to small girl but stopped once remembering her condition. They took a step back to give her some space.

Saehee rubbed her arm, aware of their thoughts. “Thanks,” she acknowledged them.

“Here,” Kris handed her his cell phone, “I heard you got a phone so give me your number.”

The others were appalled at his sudden request. The rest followed along and fished out their phones also. “Yeah, me too!” Jongdae held his phone out toward her.

“Good idea Kris. Now if something happens you can contact us and we’ll go get you,” Luhan kindly smiled at her.

Saehee’s eyes widened in astonishment at how much they cared for her. She then realized that she wasn’t alone. Her friends were rooting for her. Saehee began tearing up on the spot.

“Eh, did we do something?” Lay panicked.

Saehee managed a sweet smile. “No, I’m just happy.” The group made on ‘o’ shape with their mouths in understanding.

Right then the bell rang for lunch to end and go to their next class. The boys groaned and unwillingly split ways. Minseok stayed with Saehee, offering to walk her to class.

“How come you came to school today?” Minseok curiously asked. He wondered what was able to motivate her to come.

She averted her eyes and said, “I missed you.”


A/N: Ahhh, it has been so long! Sorry for the wait ><

(updated: 1-22-14)