✪ infatuation 33

When infatuation becomes love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae drove Kyuhyun's car into their hostel's basement carpark and parked into an empty parking slot. He switched off the engine, unlocked the car boot and started to pull out the numerous bag of groceries he had picked up from the supermarket in their neighbourhood. When he finally got everything out of the boot and onto his shoulder, it was already five minutes later.

As Hyukjae waited for the lift, he checked his watch and mumbled to himself, "Two more hours before Kyu comes back. I hope I can get the pork chops done in time." He didn't forget that pork chops was the maknae's favourite. Maybe that'll aid him in confessing to Kyuhyun today, thought Hyukjae, planning a romantic candlelight dinner with the younger in his mind. Hyukjae had already gotten rid of the rest of the members beforehand, so no one would disturb their 'bonding' session tonight. The dancer couldn't help but chuckle aloud at his fantastic plan.

Throwing all the groceries into the kitchen as soon as he entered the house, Hyukjae grabbed an apron from the cupboard and digged out a recipe of cooking instructions imparted to him from his helpful dongasaeng, Ryeowook and his future mother-in-law, Kyuhyun's omoni. 

Hyukjae frowned at the crumpled piece of paper in his hand. "Season pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides...." He grabbed salt and pepper from the shelves and began sprinkling them onto the pieces of meat on the counter. 

Hyukjae followed the steps written on the paper, and found that cooking was not as difficult as he thought. Soon, he finished marinating the pork chops, and was ready to fry them. The dancer heated up the pan, and added some oil into it. He picked up the marinated meat with his thumb and forefinger, before bringing it close to the frying pan.

RING!!

Suddenly, Hyukjae's handphone started to ring in his pocket, shocking him and making him drop the meat into the frying pan, which caused the oil to splatter up and burnt his hand. Hissing aloud, Hyukjae cradled his hand and saw that an entire patch of skin had already turned swollen and bright red. He rushed to the basin, switched on the tap and put his hand under the running water. The running tap water managed to cool down his burn, and it did not hurt as much as before although his right hand had swollen to twice its usual size.

All these while, his handphone had not stopped ringing, Hyukjae was about to answer it when he noticed that he hadn't switched off the stove. Not wanting to cause a fire hazard, Hyukjae rushed back to the stove and turned off the fire. Cursing under his breath for his bad luck, Hyukjae finally answered the phone call responsible for all the mess as well as his swollen hand.

"Hello? Who's this?" Hyukjae spoke, annoyed. He hadn't bothered to look at the caller ID.

"Hyukkie?" A familiar voice replied. "It's me, Donghae."  

"Hae?" Hyukjae furrowed his brows, a bad feeling surging up inside him. If he had not been mistaken, Donghae sounded exceptionally weak and vulnerable over the phone. "What's wrong?"

Hyukjae got his answer in a series of incoherent sobs over the phone. "Hae? Hae? Don't just cry!" Hyukjae yelled into the phone anxiously, "Tell me what's wrong!"

Hyukjae's heart twisted uncomfortably at Donghae's broken sobs, just when he thought he was gonna die from a panic attack, he heard his best friend say-

"...Siwon wants to break up with me."

Hyukjae tore off his apron and dashed out of the door. The only thing in the dancer's mind now was Donghae's helpless voice, Hyukjae wanted to fly to Donghae's side now, to accompany his heartbroken bestfriend. In his haste, he had forgotten about the half-done pork chops lying on the kitchen counter, the romantic candlelight dinner, and the confession for someone important.

At that time, Hyukjae hadn't known that too many broken promises would eventually cause him to lose the person he loved. 

I don't want to love you anymore. You're not worth it. 

The person he loved had told him such cruel words with a cold face. Yet, Hyukjae knew he deserved that because he was the one who broke that person's heart over and over again. 

If he was given a chance to go back in time, he's s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter