Chapter 20

The Demon Contract

“Hey Baekhyun, do you know how to turn a human into a demon?” Cheon Sa asked.

He scoffed, looking the human up and down.  “Are you kidding me?  You want me to turn you into a demon?”

“I never said it was me.”

“Then who is it?”

She immediately switched topics.  “Well?  Do you?”

“…I do…but it’s against Suho’s orders.  Not to mention that it’s dangerous for you.”

“I didn’t know that demons could have hearts.” Cheon Sa smirked, amused.

“Very funny.”  He rolled his eyes.  “Forget about becoming a demon.  I would never do that to you, or any human for that matter.”

“Even if I was willing?”

“Yes, even if you were winning.”

She sighed.  “I’m probably going to hell anyway, so I don’t really mind.”  Turning away, she began to think.  I can’t just hope to get lucky.  Suho is the demon king, which means he can’t be killed that easily.  If only I had access to the books Chanyeol oppa read…

“What are you thinking about?” Baekhyun asked, wary.  He noticed that she had been acting strange ever since she woke up from her nap.

She shook her head.  “I was just wondering…if you could take me to the demon library?”

“Why?”

“Just…a feeling.”

Baekhyun stared at Cheon Sa, wary. 

 

<:>

 

Baekhyun glanced around the run-down building.  “You’re lucky that it’s light outside.”

Descending into the building, which marked the transition between the human world and the demon world, Baekhyun noticed the human shiver.  He sighed, shrugging off his jacket and handing it to her.

“Thanks,” she replied, touched.

“I didn’t need it anyway.”

“Is it really okay?  I mean, won’t you get in trouble for bringing me here again?”

He scoffed.  “If you were going to have regrets, couldn’t you have told me earlier?”  Sighing, he continued, “Well, you don’t have to worry.  From what I’ve heard, the boss is out with Kai for the day.”

“Jongin?”

Baekhyun smirked.  “No need to sound so eager.”  Humans…and their ability to forgive people they like.  How interesting. 

Finally, they ended up in the library.  Baekhyun made sure the door was closed before turning to the human.  “You do whatever you need to do.  I’ll stand by the door.”

She bowed.  “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

“Whatever.”

Cheon Sa took a moment to admire the collection of books.  The library probably had hundreds of books on millions of topics.  On her way to the back of the room, she passed shelves upon shelves of ancient medicine amongst a wide variety of subjects.  And, like Chanyeol mentioned in his diary, the demon books sat in the back, spanning across one shelf.  A quick glance at the books showed that no one had touched them in a long time, as a fine sheet of dust covered all of the books.  Cheon Sa figured that Chanyeol was the last person to flip through the books, which was almost ten years ago.

She started at one end, deciding to work her way across the shelf.  Unfortunately, things weren’t that easy.

“This book…has missing pages,” she mumbled.  At first glance, one couldn’t tell, but a closer inspection of the spine showed that someone had ripped out the pages.  She shut the book with a sigh.  “Only one more book…and I still can’t find anything.”  Chanyeol oppa, you gave me answers, but there’s still no way I can beat Suho. 

She flipped through the last book, a book on demon history, not expecting to find anything.  To her surprise, a small piece of paper fell out of the book.  Cheon Sa unfolded it, smoothed it out, and immediately recognized her older brother’s handwriting.

 

Cheon Sa:

If you’re reading this note, then it means that you’re alive, and I’m not.  Did you make a contract with a demon, by any chance?  As your older brother, I should tell you to stop your revenge right now…but I won’t.  You’ve come too far to stop, and I’d like to see that asshat get a taste of his own medicine.  If, by some chance, you aren’t Cheon Sa, then I guess I have horrible luck.  I hope that you have people you trust by your side, because things will only get more difficult from here. 

If you kill Suho with the knife that he always carries around—the knife that probably will end up killing me—then I think that you can win.

Finally, make sure that you eat all of your meals, and don’t go to sleep after midnight.  Got it?  And…I’m sorry that I can’t be there for you anymore.  I love you.

Chanyeol

 

She crumpled the note up in her fist, hands shaking.  He knew.  He knew that he would die. 

“Cheon Sa?” Baekhyun called out.  “We should hurry.  I feel Suho’s presence coming closer.”

Standing up, she replaced the book on the shelf and returned to Baekhyun.  The note remained crumpled up in her fist.

“Hey, human, are you okay?” He frowned when she walked out from behind one of the shelves.  “You look horrible.”

She nodded.  “I have two favors to ask you, Baekhyun.”

“Make it quick.  I don’t really want to run into Suho, especially after a long day of working.”

“First,” she said, “I would like to meet the demon king.”

His eyes widened.  Then he looked the human up and down.  “If you meet the demon king, I don’t think I can protect you—”

“Which brings me to the second favor.”

“I’m listening.”

She took a deep breath.  “If Suho tells you to betray me, I want you to do it.”

He scoffed.  “No.  Never.  That’s too dangerous.”

“Please, Baekhyun.”

“You could die, you know.”

“I don’t care.”

He bit his lip and ran a hand through his hair.  “Are you sure?  I’m really going to return to his side if you insist.”

“Yes.”

“You aren’t scared of death?”

She smirked.  “I should’ve died a long time ago.  I’m not scared of anything.”

“It…hurts to die!” he exclaimed, not caring that he sounded stupid.  If it gets her to reconsider death, then I’ll do it.  To his horror, she got on her knees.

“Please, Baekhyun.”

He sighed.  Reaching a hand into his pocket, he pulled out a gold dagger that glimmered in the light and held it out to her. 

She accepted it, eyes wide.  “What…is this?”

“I never had the chance to give this back to the boss.” He chuckled bitterly.  “It probably won’t do you much good, but take it.”

She bowed.  “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

“Suho’s presence is almost here.  This is your last chance.”

Cheon Sa shook her head with a small smile.  “I’m staying.”

“You’re an idiot."

"I know."

 

<:>

 

Suho stood outside of headquarters and frowned.  Kai stood behind him, hesitant to question the boss.

“Kai, do you feel that?”

“What?”

Suho pointed toward the entrance.  “A human soul.”

“Oh.” He nodded.  Now that he mentions it, I can feel a human. 

“Kai, something interesting is going to happen next.  You’re on my side, right?”

After some hesitation, Kai nodded.  “Of course, my lord.”