Chapter 17

The Demon Contract

Cheon Sa opened the file.

“I did the paperwork for this case.  I’m sorry for not telling you earlier,” Baekhyun muttered.

She nodded.

 

REPORT

 

Date: 12/12/06

Arrived on scene at 21:07

Victim: Park Chanyeol, 18.  Approximately 185 centimeters, brown hair, light build, found in an alley close to his home.  Has a mother, father, and an ill younger sister. 

Evidence of wounds inflicted by a blunt object as well as a fist.

The body is still warm.  He has not been dead for long. 

He is wearing a work uniform and sneakers.  Cause of death appears to be a stab wound to the chest, with an object that vaguely resembles a demon’s weapon.  The markings around the wound prove that a human weapon could not have killed victim. 

Evidence:

Marks on body support claim of a demon attack.

No other evidence found.

 

She looked up at Baekhyun.  “Jongin told me the same thing.”

“Keep on reading.”

Cheon Sa turned to the next page, which looked like a collection of diary entries.  She held up the paper, confused.  “You included these?”

He nodded.  “I thought they would be useful.”

 

12/14

Boss brought a new recruit in today, and he wants me to train him.  I am currently working on a case and don’t have time to train anyone.  The new recruit says that his name is Kim Jongin. Jongin tells me that he was a human before, which intrigues me.  I hadn’t been informed that Boss had been recruiting, and the new recruits would just mean more paperwork for me.  After all, the road to becoming a demon requires throwing away your humanity, which humans find themselves unable to do.

 

12/17

Jongin saw the picture of Park Chanyeol’s body and lost control.  I’ll have to talk to Boss about Jongin.

 

12/18

Boss is hiding something from me.

 

12/19

Boss wanted me to drop the case.  I refused.

 

12/20

Jongin hasn’t shown up lately.  The boss has been acting strange as well.  When I asked him about it, he said that he would tell me “later, maybe”.

 

12/23

The boss wants me to include this in Park Chanyeol’s file: our new recruit, Jongin, played a part in Park Chanyeol’s murder.  Boss won’t give me any more details.  He has also changed Jongin’s memory.

 

12/25

Park Chanyeol will go to heaven, as determined by the boss.  Kim Jongin, by becoming a demon, will not be punished for his crime.  From this day on, he will be known as Kai.

 

END OF REPORT