Chapter 3

The Demon Contract

“Here,” Jongin muttered, throwing the file down on Cheon Sa’s coffee table.  “I got it, surprisingly.  You can read it if you want or whatever.”

Cheon Sa shook her head.  “I’d rather not read the details.”

“Well, just so you know, you probably won’t be able to kill your brother’s murderer with your own two hands.”

“Why can’t I?” she exclaimed.  “I may be weak, but—”

“A demon was involved in your brother’s death.  You wouldn’t be able to kill one, no matter how hard you try.”

“Then what about you?  Can you kill another demon?” She bit her lip.

Jongin snickered.  “Are you serious?  That would be going against the rules.  I would be kicked out and possibly killed myself—”

“—But you promised, remember?”

“Yes, I know.” He ran a hand through his hair.  “And you didn’t even let me finish.”  Once he was sure that he had her attention, he continued.  “But killing a human is not common in the demon world.  We were created to assist in the sorting process, not to kill.”

“Oh.”

“I’ve heard of ordinary humans becoming demons before, and I think that your brother was involved.”

“My brother would never do something like that.”

“Do you not understand, human—er, Cheon Sa?” Jongin exclaimed.  “Your brother was most likely murdered by someone who wanted to become a demon.”

 

<:>

 

Cheon Sa focused on the crack on the ceiling in her bedroom.  Chanyeol oppa…what should I do?  I just blindly jumped into things, without realizing how serious things actually were.  I thought that I could save you, but…I don’t know what to do.

“Human,” Jongin said.

She shifted her gaze to Jongin, who stood at her door.  “What?”

“You seem troubled.”

“I don’t know what to do,” she repeated.  “I can’t kill my brother’s killer, and neither can you.”

He shrugged.  “If you order me to kill, I will kill, no matter who it is.”

“I would never ruin your life,” she replied.

“You can cancel the contract,” Jongin said.  “Under normal circumstances, demon contracts are final.  Considering the situation, I’m sure I could work out something with the devil—”

“No.”

“Why?” Jongin exclaimed, exasperated.  “If you don’t cancel the contract, then I’ll end up taking your soul!”

“I don’t break promises.”

Jongin frowned.  He had never met a human who would refuse to live, even after being offered the chance.  “Well, I cannot let you throw away your life like that.  I will help you find the murderer, but I will not be able to kill him until you order me to do so.  After all, it would be rude of me to break my half of our promise.”

Cheon Sa’s eyes began to water, and she tried to blink the tears away.  “Thank you, Jongin.”

He hated how she called him Jongin, but he didn’t complain.

 

<:>

 

Joonmyun turned away from the house with troubled feelings.  What was originally fun and games had turned serious in an instant.  If Kai is really going to help this girl find her brother’s murderer, then—

“Boss, here’s your coffee,” Baekhyun interrupted, handing a styrofoam cup to the other. 

Joonmyun nodded.  “Thank you, Baekhyun.”

“What’s Kai doing in there?”

“He just promised the human that he would find the killer.”

“What?” Baekhyun exclaimed.  “How can he, when he—?”

“It’s fine.”

“You aren’t going to do something, boss?”

“If things get serious, I’ll send you to take care of business,” Joonmyun replied, sipping his coffee.  “I really need to buy more of this.”

Baekhyun asked, “Kai pledging his loyalty to the human girl doesn’t bother you?”

“No, not at all.” Joonmyun smirked.  “In the end, he’ll always be loyal to me, after all.”

“But—”

“Baekhyun-ah, there are many things you still need to learn,” Joonmyun said.  “Humans are…fragile.  One chest wound, like in the case of Park Chanyeol, can kill.  They are easy to dispose of.  And worst of all,” Joonmyun’s eyes narrowed as the human girl thanked Kai, “they have feelings.”