Chapter 2

The Demon Contract

Kim Joonmyun watched Jongin carry the girl into her house. 

“Boss,” Byun Baekhyun, one of the other demons, said.  “We can’t just let Kai do whatever he wants.  If he doesn’t go to the human world and collect souls, then who will?”

Joonmyun smirked.  “Now now, don’t worry.  Let’s enjoy this.”

“But boss—”

“Silence, Baekhyun,” the former replied.  “Everyone else will just have to work harder while Kai busies himself with the human girl.”

Baekhyun’s eyes darkened.

<:>

“Where are your parents, human?” Jongin asked, waving his hand around the empty mansion.  “This place seems to have been abandoned.”

Cheon Sa shrugged.  “Mother and Father don’t really come home often.”

“Why not?”

“They work.”

Jongin glided over to her family photos.  “Is this your brother?” He pointed to a boy around his age standing next to Cheon Sa.

“Yeah.  His name was Chanyeol.  We were really close.”

He tried to hide his smirk at her comment.  “I’m sure you two were.”  However, something about Chanyeol’s face bothered Jongin, and he tried to push that thought out of his mind.  When he realized that Cheon Sa had disappeared, he called out, “Human?”

“I’d prefer you call me Cheon Sa, Jongin,” she replied, coming out from another room.

“And I’d prefer you call me Kai, human, but life isn’t fair.”

She paused, staring right into Jongin’s eyes.  “I know that.”

He glanced away as soon as they made eye contact, but he couldn’t get her expression out of his mind.  “Ugh, fine, Cheon Sa.  If you want me to help identify your brother’s killer, I’m going to have to see his body.”

“You can’t.”

“And why not?”

“He’s already been cremated.  It is impossible to see his body.”

He closed his eyes in an attempt to hide his frustration.  “Fine.  I’ll…go back to the demon world, and I’ll look for his file.  You wait here, understand?”

“Is it not safe to go out?” Cheon Sa asked.

He shook his head.  “I guess I’m the one to blame for that.  See, word travels fast in the demon world, and I’m pretty sure that most of them aren’t happy to hear that I’ve made a contract with you.” When he noted her expression, he continued, “It’s nothing personal.  I do most of the work in the human world, and with me preoccupied, they’ll all have to do more work.”

“Oh.”

“Now do you understand?” he asked.  “Don’t leave the house, and don’t let anyone in.”

She nodded.  “Fine with me.”

<:>

“My lord.” Jongin bowed as soon as he stepped into Joonmyun’s office.

Joonmyun, in turn, smiled.  “Look who’s back.”

“I was wondering if I could see Park Chanyeol’s file?”

“Ah…” Joonmyun paused.  “I don’t think I can do that for you, Kai.  You know the rules: only myself and the demon who does a human’s paperwork can see their file.”

“But—”

“However, I suppose I can make an exception, just this once,” Joonmyun continued.  “After all, it’s for my favorite demon.”

“Thank you.” Jongin bowed again.

“It will take a few minutes, so why don’t you enjoy a cup of coffee while I search for it?” Joonmyun smiled, gesturing toward the coffee maker.  “The humans have, surprisingly, come up with something delicious.”

Jongin bowed. 

<:>

“Boss,” Baekhyun muttered, “You aren’t really going to give him the file, are you?  Then he’ll find out—”

Joonmyun smirked.  “Don’t worry.  He won’t find out.  We’ll just have to change the file.”

“What were the chances that he’d make a contract with that human’s sister, of all people?”

“Even I am surprised at how things have turned out,” Joonmyun replied, flipping through a folder.  “Here is the file.”

Name: Park Chanyeol
Cause of Death: Fatal stab wound

“I should know.  I wrote this report,” Baekhyun muttered.

“Hand this to Kai, will you?” Joonmyun asked.  “I have to drink more of that coffee drink that humans love so much.  It’s very addicting, you know.”

“I’m sure it is.” Baekhyun grabbed the file.  “I’m sure it is.”