Chapter 18

The Demon Contract

Cheon Sa bit her lip and let her tears cloud her vision.  I made a contract with the one demon who killed my brother.  She could feel Baekhyun’s gaze on her.

“And so,” he replied, placing his hand on her head, “After the case closed, I continued to do some research on the side.”

She whispered, “Why?”

“Because your brother’s case fascinated me.”

“Hm.”

Baekhyun helped the girl stand.  For the first time, he noticed her dark circles and began to wonder if the girl ever slept well.  “Do you want me to tell you?”

“Yes.”

“Where to start…” Baekhyun trailed off, staring at the millions of files lining the shelves.  “Let me just say that your brother was an amazing human.”  He smiled, noticing that she had stopped crying.  “He was probably one of the smartest humans in his generation.”

“My brother had horrible grades.  He barely got into university.”

Baekhyun shook his head.  “Not that kind of smart, Cheon Sa.  I didn’t know your brother in real life, but I’m pretty sure that he knew…about us.”

She frowned.  Chanyeol, at least around her, never seemed to show an interest in anything beside the newest television shows.  “I don’t think so.  Oppa seemed normal.”

“Doesn’t it seem all too…convenient?  Like, Suho stopped making humans into demons fifty years ago, and all of a sudden, he started it up again?  What are the chances?”

Cheon Sa frowned.  “But…”

“The one question I always had about this case was, why Park Chanyeol?  Park Chanyeol seemed like a normal university student.”

“It was unfortunate timing, wasn’t it?” she mumbled in reply.

Baekhyun sighed.  “I don’t know…we’re talking about Suho, and he always knows what he’s doing.”

 

<:>

 

“You ,” Jongin seethed.  “Why did you trick me?”

Suho chuckled.  “Now, now, Kai.  No need to get angry here.  Besides, I’m not the only one who tricked you.”

“What?”

“I may have lied about Baekhyun just to get you upset, but your human friend also seems to be lying to you.”  Suho shook his head.  “And that’s not a very nice thing to do.”

“I don’t—”

“She’s just scared of death.  Why else would she lie to you about having amnesia?”

“Cheon Sa…lied…to me?”

Suho sighed, trying to hide his amusement.  “She probably learned that you could probably get the contract terminated if she somehow conveniently ‘forgot’ about you.  Humans are all like that, Kai.  They all want to live.  And they’ll do whatever it takes to make sure they do.  Park Cheon Sa…Park Chanyeol…even you, Kai.  All the same.”

“What?”

“Looks like I’ve said too much, haven’t I?” Suho smiled.  “Anyway, don’t plan on going back to that human anytime soon.  You’ll start work again tomorrow.  Oh, and you can remain in my office tonight.  Help yourself to the coffee.”

 

<:>

 

“So?  You want to kill Kai?” Baekhyun asked.  He observed the girl closely, searching for signs of hesitation. 

Cheon Sa looked up, alarmed.  Jongin…killed my brother, but he doesn’t remember any of it.

“You can’t give up on your revenge now, Cheon Sa,” he continued.  “You’ve come so far, and you know more of the truth.  That’s what you made the contract for, right?”

“I…” She took a deep breath.  “I’ll find the entire truth.  And then, when I’m sure, I will kill the person who killed my brother.”

Baekhyun smirked.  “Good.  I’ll be waiting.”