Chapter 5

The Demon Contract

“So you’re both angels?” Cheon Sa asked Kyungsoo as Sehun walked into the room.  His eyes widened, first at the girl, who seemed to be talking with the angel as if they were close friends, and then at his hyung, who had told her their secret.

“Yeah.  I just recently became an angel.”

Sehun winced.  “Hyung, you’re not supposed to reveal your entire life story to this girl.”

Kyungsoo turned around, a grin on his face.  “Sehun-ah, there you are!  I was looking for you.”

“Idiot.” Sehun rolled his eyes. 

“Not to be rude,” the girl finally spoke, “but what are you two doing in my house anyway?  I’m not in trouble, am I?”

“You go off making a contract with a demon, and you still don’t think that you’ve caused trouble?”  Sehun exclaimed.  “There are consequences for every action, something I’m sure you haven’t realized yet!”

Kyungsoo interrupted, “You’ll have to excuse him.  He’s been working long hours every day.  We barely get any vacation time, you know—”

“Hyung, please,” Sehun sighed.  “Let’s just get to the point.”

“By all means.”

“Park Cheon Sa,” Sehun said.  “We’re here to offer you a chance to become an angel.”

“Huh?” Her eyes widened.  “Why me?”

Sehun glared.  “If you don’t agree, you’ll be killed by the demon contract.”

She nodded.  “Jongin already told me.”

“And you agreed?” Sehun seethed.  “What kind of human would agree to die?  It goes against human nature and everything that I’ve studied in the books!”

Kyungsoo smiled.  “Sorry about him.  He was born an angel, not a human.  Everything he knows about humans comes from his studies.”

“Oh.”

“But if you agree to come with us, we’ll help you find your brother’s killer.  We’ll even nullify the contract.”

Cheon Sa shook her head.  “I really can’t.  I’m sorry.”

“What kind of human would refuse to become an angel?” Sehun exclaimed.

Even Kyungsoo seemed surprised.  “You’re a good person.  Why would you refuse the offer of a lifetime?”

 

<:>

 

Jongin paused.  In a flash, he was hiding under the window, listening in to the conversation.  Jongin hated eavesdropping, but he felt that it was necessary in those circumstances.  He tried to focus, pushing the thought of Cheon Sa leaving out of his mind.  Jongin felt two male presences—angels, no doubt—in the room beside Cheon Sa.  Angels smelled like flowers to Jongin, which he absolutely detested.

“Why would you refuse the offer of a lifetime?” he heard one of the angels ask.

He clenched his fists.  She’s going to agree.  She’s going to agree.  She’s going to—wait.  He listened closer.

“Does a good person want to kill someone?” he heard Cheon Sa’s voice say.

 

<:>

 

“Well, this complicates things,” Sehun muttered.  “Is this really your decision?”

Cheon Sa nodded.  “The thought of living forever scares me.”

“Your decision cannot be changed.  You won’t regret this?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Yeah.  I’ll be fine.”

“Well, your demon seems to be waiting for you, so we’ll be taking our leave,” Sehun announced.  “Despite the treaty between us and them, we try to avoid each other as much as possible.”

Cheon Sa stood up.  “Should I walk you to the door?”

“That would be lovely—”

“No, hyung,” Sehun grumbled.  Turning to Cheon Sa, he said, “We’ll just walk through the back.”  Taking Kyungsoo by the arm, he led the older boy out of the sitting room.  As the two voices of the angels faded away, Cheon Sa noticed Jongin standing in the hallway.

“Hi,” she greeted him, despite noticing his bad mood.

“Why didn’t you go with them?”

“What?”

“Why didn’t you leave with the angels?”

She stared.  “You wanted me to go with them?”

“I thought that you’d want to get out of the contract.”

“Jongin, if this is about my eventual death, then forget it.”

He glared at her in frustration.  “Don't you see?  I don’t want to kill you anymore.  I can’t kill you.”

“Why not?  Doesn’t it annoy you that I’ve cheated death?”

This idiotic human.  But the words couldn’t come out of his mouth.

“We made a promise, Jongin.”

He pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled slowly.  “I know.”

“So you’ll uphold your side of the promise, right?”

Jongin sighed in defeat.