Chapter 4

The Demon Contract

Cheon Sa noticed that things had become awkward with Jongin.  He’d spend most of his time in her brother’s room, claiming that “he needed to surround himself with her brother’s things in order to establish a connection”.  Cheon Sa didn’t believe any of it, but she left Jongin alone, because she also wanted time to think.

“I’m going out today,” Jongin said over breakfast. 

Despite his protests, Cheon Sa had insisted on cooking something for the two of them.  “You aren’t going to eat?”

How can I eat this?  “I am.”  He forced himself to take a bite and plastered a smile onto his face.  “I’ll be gone for most of the day, so I don’t want you to leave the house.”

“Where are you going?”

He sighed.  Why are humans so curious?  “I have work to attend to.  The devil has given most of the demons a holiday today, so I’m back on duty.”

“You work?”

He nodded.  “I do paperwork for all of the humans that are sent to Hell.  It’s not an easy job, but hey, you can’t just ask humans to stop passing away.”

“The devil?”

“He’s actually a pretty nice person on a good day.” Jongin chose his words carefully.

She rested her head on her arms.  “You never let me go out.”

“Do you want something bad to happen?”

“…No.”

“I’ll be leaving, then.” He stood up, the chair scraping the floor.  Jongin pushed it in hastily and made his way toward the door.  Reaching for the doorknob, he suddenly paused.

“Did you forget something?” Cheon Sa asked.

Jongin frowned.  Did I just…?  Shaking his head, he called out, “have fun.” 

Cheon Sa watched as Jongin walked through the door.

 

<:>

 

“What the hell are you doing, hyung?” Oh Sehun exclaimed, looking over at Do Kyungsoo, who stood on the tips of his toes, staring into a window.  “We’re here on a mission, dammit.  This is no time for you to be looking at hot girls.”

“For your information, Sehun,” Kyungsoo grumbled, “I am not staring at just any hot girl—”

“Ha, you admitted it.”

“That’s Park Cheon Sa, the girl we were assigned to bring back.”

“Oh.”

“The demon just left a few minutes ago.  Now’s our chance.”

“We have to be quick.  I don’t want to deal with an angry demon if we get caught,” Sehun grumbled.  When he noticed that Kyungsoo had moved toward the door, he just shook his head.  “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to knock, what do you think?” Kyungsoo said.

Sehun shook his head.  I can’t I believe I got stuck with this hyung.  “We’re angels, hyung.  We don’t knock; we enter.”

“I’m still getting used to it.”  Kyungsoo watched, amazed, as Sehun walked through Park Cheon Sa’s front door.  He followed soon after and found himself in a spacious room.  A grand piano sat in the corner of the room, and Cheon Sa was seated on the piano bench.  Where’d Sehun go?  He then wondered how he should alert the girl of his presence.

“It’s not nice to enter someone’s house without their permission,” the girl suddenly said.

Kyungsoo froze.  Wait, why am I so scared?  Clearing his throat, he replied, “Are you Park Cheon Sa?”

“And if I am?”

“I am Do Kyungsoo.”

“Oh.  Are you one of Jongin’s friends?” she asked, turning around.

Kyungsoo frowned.  “Jongin?  Who’s that?”

“Ah.  Forget it.”

<:>

 

No matter how much Jongin tried to concentrate on his work, his thoughts immediately went back to Park Cheon Sa.  He didn’t know what it was about her that had him so interested, which only annoyed him even more.

“You’re out of it today,” Baekhyun commented from across the room.

“I thought you hated me.”

Baekhyun shrugged and returned to his computer.  “Suho hyung has been keeping an eye on your actions.”

“I am aware of that,” Jongin replied.

“Tell your human to be careful, okay?” Baekhyun said.  “I don’t want another innocent human to die at your expense.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind.  I’ve gotten word that the angels have gone to visit your human today.”

What?”

“In fact,” Baekhyun continued, “they’re probably with her right now, convincing her to become one of them.  I don’t see why she wouldn’t, as being an angel seems much more tempting than a demon contract.  No sane human would refuse the offer.”

Jongin tried to ignore Baekhyun’s statement.  Maybe it’s better if she goes off with the angels.  She'll be happier, and she'll get what she wants.  Maybe…dammit.  He stood up.  “I’ll be back.”

“Going off to see the human, Kai?” Baekhyun called out.

“Shut up.”

“I’ll cover for you.”

As Jongin walked out of the room, he could hear Baekhyun’s laughter.