Chapter 13

The Demon Contract

Cheon Sa couldn’t bring herself to look Jongin in the eye.  Were his eyes still red?  She didn’t dare look.  She held onto Baekhyun like her life depended on it.  He wasn’t exactly warm, though he was nice enough to wrap his arms around her.  She felt safe.  Yet, at the same time, she began to feel faint.  Her eyes drooped, and darkness surrounded her. 

“Jongin…” she whispered.

But the darkness was coming too fast, and she had no choice but to embrace it.

“Human…hey.  Are you okay?  Yah, Kai, she’s not responding.  What did you do to her?” Baekhyun asked.  “Man, if you aren’t going to answer, then—”

“I…tried to kill her.”

“You WHAT?”

“I knew it was wrong, but—”

Baekhyun sighed.  “Kai, what the heck is wrong with you?  How could you even think about killing her?”

“I…I’m sorry.”

“You shouldn’t apologize to me,” Baekhyun grumbled.  “Apologize to Park Cheon Sa instead.”

“Cheon Sa, I—”

“Hey, human?  Are you awake?”

 

<:>

 

Jongin waited next to her.  She had been unconscious for a while, though he had used some of his energy to make sure that she was safe. 

“Tell me what happened, Kai,” Baekhyun said.  “I promise I won’t tell.”

Jongin looked at the older boy, who had conveniently walked in when Cheon Sa was frightened.  “How did you know?”  Baekhyun had never really liked him, and Jongin wondered if he was conspiring with Suho.

“Huh?”

“You came back before I could do something horrible.  How did you know?”

Should I tell him?  He won’t believe me…  Baekhyun finally said, “I…don’t know.  I dreamt it, I guess?”

“Impossible.”

Baekhyun sighed.  “That’s what I was thinking.  Look, I don’t know how I did it, but I did.  You were about to kill her in my dream, and I felt like I needed to save her.  I refuse to let you kill someone else, especially her.”

“Why?” Jongin muttered.  “You hate humans.”

“It’s…complicated.  Just forget it.  Tell me why you tried to kill her, Kai.”

“Orders from the boss.”

“And you listened?” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“He threatened my position!” Jongin hissed.  “Not like you would understand.  You never had to work up to your rank.  I started out at the bottom, Baekhyun.”

“Shut up.”

Jongin looked at Cheon Sa.  “But then, I thought about her, and I knew I couldn’t do it.  I knew…”

“What are you going to do now, Kai?  The boss definitely won’t be happy.”

Jongin shook his head.  “I don’t know.  All I know is that I cannot let this human die.” He reached out to brush a stray piece of hair out of her face.  “I don’t know why, but I can’t.”

“Because you love her.”

“Demons don’t love, Baekhyun.”

“Who said that?” Baekhyun asked.  “Just because we don’t love doesn’t mean that we can’t.”

Jongin paused.  He looked at Cheon Sa again.  “Love?”

“You’re an idiot, Kai.”

 

<:>

 

When Cheon Sa woke up, her head hurt.  When she tried to recall what happened right before she passed out, a piercing pain shot through her skull.  She struggled to get out of bed.

“Cheon Sa?” Someone was immediately at her side, helping her out of bed, helping her stand.  She did not recognize him.

“You’re awake.” The boy flashed her a smile. 

She frowned in confusion.  “Do I…know you?”

Jongin’s smile fell.