Chapter 16

The Demon Contract

“Wait.” Baekhyun held out his hand.  “Are you sure about this?”

Cheon Sa nodded.  “I’m sure.”

“You won’t get scared?”

“No.”

Baekhyun smirked.  “Well, if you do, feel free to grab onto me.”

“Ha,” Cheon Sa replied with a weak smile.  “In your dreams.”

Baekhyun led Cheon Sa toward a run-down building, causing her to stare in surprise.  The building wasn’t like anything she had imagined.

“Surprised?” Baekhyun grinned. 

“…A little.”

He placed his hand on the iron gate, holding it open for Cheon Sa.  As she walked in, the run-down building seemed to fade and was replaced by a building close to the size of a skyscraper.  Her jaw dropped.

“Ah.  We use magic to keep humans away.  Suho even spread a rumor that this place is haunted, which keeps the teenage brats out of our business.”

She nodded.

“After you.”

When Cheon Sa walked into the building, she shivered, not expecting cold air.  Her footsteps echoed as she moved down the hall, and the place seemed eerily quiet, as if no one had walked the halls in ages.

“It’s empty because almost all of us hate the daytime.  Kai and I are part of the select few that can handle it,” Baekhyun spoke as if reading her mind.

“Where are we going?”

“To the archives.  To get your brother’s file.”

She frowned.  “But Jongin already looked through the file.”

Baekhyun bit his lip.  “The file you read that time was…incomplete.  We’re going to get the real file.”

 

<:>

 

“Jongin, Jongin, relax,” Suho said with a smirk.  “I’m sure Baekhyun isn’t going to harm the girl…yet.”

“If you do anything to her, I will kill all of you,” Jongin seethed.  Suho had put some sort of spell on him, as his reflexes did not react to his basic commands. 

“Ooh, scary, aren’t we?” Suho glided over to the coffee maker.  “Why don’t you go to stop him?  …Ah.  Are you, by any chance, stuck, Kai?”

“Shut up.”

“Hey Kai,” Suho taunted, “I wonder how your human friend is doing?  that you can’t protect her, huh?”

“I said, shut up.”

Suho took a seat in his office chair, making sure that Kai was also sitting in a chair.  “Hey Kai, I’ll admit something.”

“What is it?” Jongin hissed.

Suho smirked again.  “The truth is, you’re sort of my prisoner.  Sorry for not saying anything!”

 

<:>

 

The archive room was filled with files from floor to ceiling and seemed to span as far as the eye could see.  Cheon Sa followed Baekhyun through a maze of shelves and wondered if he knew what he was doing.  He suddenly stopped, almost causing her to run into him.

“Here.”  He took down the file from the shelf and opened it, beginning to flip through the pages.  When he reached the end, he removed a post-it note from the back and pocketed it.  “Let’s keep on going.”

She continued to follow him through the millions of files until they reached a door on the side of the room.  He fumbled for a key and finally unlocked the room.  Baekhyun the light.

To Cheon Sa’s amazement, this room seemed to have just as many files as the outer room.  Baekhyun used his powers to rise to the top shelf and brought down a folder.

“This is the entire story, Cheon Sa.  You can choose what to believe, but this is our best account of what happened to Park Chanyeol.”