Chapter 9: Angel

The Night the Stars stopped shining

Chapter 9

Angel

 

*Baekhyun's POV*

 

I wake up to someone my hair, everything looked bright. Did something happen? I quickly whip my head to where Cho Mee is supposed to be and release a sigh when I see her smiling at me.

 

"Have a good sleep Baek?" she asks me smiling. I eye the untouched food tray at the table and she shoots me an apologetic look.

 

"Mian Baek, I couldn't hold the foo down." I just sigh and nod.

 

"You should rest." I tell her, standing up to adjust her covers when she grabs my hand and stops me.

 

"I'm always resting Baek. It makes me feel more sick." she tells me, eyes pleading. I sit down and think.

 

"What do you want to do then?" I ask, putting a smile on my face. She only smiles.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

It was already night time and I was supposed to put her to bed but she suddenly craved strawberry milk so I went out to buy it for her. The whole day we just played the games she wanted -Board Games and games she was taught when she was young- and surprisingly it was fun.

 

I entered her room carrying the plastic of strawberry milk when I see her getting out of bed and detaching all the needles she had on. She looked at me when she heard the door click and when I was about to stop her she just gave me a sad smile.

 

"I want to watch the stars tonight Baek." She tells me and I guide her towards the mini garden.

 

We have already been out here for five minutes but she still hasn't spoken yet. She'd look at me once or twice while sipping her strawberry milk but I wouldn't speak -I couldn't, I knew my voice would crack if I tried.

 

"Where do you think Angels stay?" she suddenly asks and I shrug.

 

"I don't know, maybe on the clouds? They're always supposed to watch over us, aren't they?" I say a bitter smirk on my lips.

 

"What do you mean they're supposed to? I know they are -watching over us." she tells me and I just nod. I'm done in believing in Angels or God.

 

After a few minutes of silence she started to teach me about constellations, pointing and tracing at different sparkles of light in the dark sky as she goes and I enjoyed it. I wished the moment would never end but all good things end because as the clock struck twelve I can notice how she tried hard to hide the pain she was already feeling.

 

"We should go." I told her but she just stayed put and pouted.

 

"No. Please Baek, I want to enjoy tonight. Please." she pleaded, her eyes sparkling as it brimmed with tears. I nod and just enveloped her with my jacket.

 

As I was just staring at the star and asking questions even Socrates and Plato didn't know the answer to she slowly stood up and extended her hand.

 

"Will you dance with me, Mr. Byun?" she asks a soft smile on her face. I nod and take her in my arms.

 

Tears welled up my eyes as I feel the weak beating of her heart and the coldness of her hands; as I hear her panting as if what we were doing was tiring. I knew I should've just stopped and brought her back inside but the image of her pleading, telling me she wanted to enjoy tonight prevented me from doing so.

 

Without her telling me, I start to sing. Whispering every word clearly, sending through the emotions I never thought was possible. I sang with the entirety of my being.

 

Machi amugeotdo moreuneun alro geureoke

Dashi  taeeonan sungan gachi

Jamshi kkumilkkabwa han beon deo nun gamatda tteo beoni

 

My tears were already falling, my voice cracking. I didn't care; I just needed her to know how much I love her and how much I need her to stay.

 

She whispers back.

 

"Shhh. Baekhyun, don't cry. I don't want you to cry." she tells me, her voice almost like the whisper of the wind.

 

I still cried. When the song was finished my eyes were stinging and she couldn't stand anymore I laid her down on my lap. She looked so pale, I wanted to go back. Take her back to her room where there were a dozen of machines supporting her life but she suddenly spoke.

 

"Don't take me back, please Baek don't. That room makes me feel dead, the machines remind me of how my life depends on them -how I'm 'living' in their terms. I don't even call that living anymore. So please, don't. Those machines don't measure my life and I won't let them decide how I'd live it. I'm not scared to die Baek, I know I will but I'm happy. I'm happy because even if it's just for a short while I spent it with you. You're one of the most precious things in my life Baek. Your God's gift to me, you're my angel and I love you." she says, choking back tears. I was about to say something when closed her eyes and shook her head.

 

"I love you Byun Baekhyun and I need you to know that but I also need you to promise me one thing. Be happy; enjoy your life even if I won't be there. I don't want to see you sulk; I want to see you live. Live the life you've always wanted to and always remember that whatever happens, I will always be there to support you. Promise me Baek." she says.

 

I wanted to say that I couldn't promise her that because the life I've always wanted wouldn't be possible without her. I wanted to tell her that she needed to stop talking as if... As if her death is near. I wanted to say that everything would be alright but for some reason I couldn't, I couldn't tell her all of things because I knew deep inside that she her life would be claimed, soon. So, even if it burdened me to do so I spoke the two words she longed to hear.

 

"I promise." upon hearing those two words she smiled, looked up then whispered.

 

"Thank you Baek, for everything." then she drew her final breath.

 

Tears didn't stream down my face as I thought it would. My eyes stung and it was apparent that she had already left me in this dull world. Her hand had already gone limp and her pulse was nowhere to be felt or head but it still took me a few minutes for that undeniable fact to sink in.

 

She's gone. She's left me. She's dead. I didn't scream or thrash around instead I silently carried her back inside and called for the doctors who tried to revive her but I knew she wouldn't come back because I couldn't feel he anymore. It's like everything is detached from me; there are now two worlds. Mine and everything else.

 

I couldn't help but think; What if? What if I met her under different circumstances? Would we end up marrying each other and making each other complete? What if I had transferred her earlier? Would that have made a difference? What if I could turn back time? Then prevent any of these from happening or maybe- just maybe I could have done something more, something that could have altered the events... But I couldn't and tonight, I watched an angel die.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This one is the longest chapter. Hope you liked it! Tell me your thoughts, would you? :D

xoxoxo Kyon Seul