Chapter 8: Don't Go

The Night the Stars stopped shining

Chapter 8

Don't Go

 

*Baekhyun's POV*

 

2 weeks have passed since the others visited and yet she still hasn't recovered. How long do I need to wait just to make sure that she's out of harm's way? She's been trying to ingest soft food but her system is rejecting it. The IV and other machines are still injected to her, supporting her life and I know that the doctors want to tell us to 'end her suffering' but they don't because I always look at them like they're food and boy am I hungry. How can they give up when Cho Mee herself isn't giving up? Is it because she's just another patient?

 

I sigh again and was surprised when she ruffles my hair. I look at her a smile.

 

"I thought you were already asleep." I say, adjusting her blanket.

 

"I was but then I heard someone sigh like he's carrying the world." she says, looking at me.

 

"I'm sorry-" before I could finish she touches her finger to my lips.

 

"Shh. don’t apologize, just sing?" she asks her voice barely audible and I just nod.

 

I begin to baby don't cry when a smile tugs at her lips. I didn't stop though until she asks me.

 

"Why won't you sing my favorite song?" she had closed her eyes and I watched her chest rise and fall.

 

"I don't want to. Not now, not until you're out of here." I answer, stiff.

 

I didn't want to sing a sad song. We're sad enough as it is. I just continue to sing Baby Don't Cry until I was sure she was in deep sleep then I stop.

 

Minutes later, I let my tears fall freely. No one would know that I cry for her every night, her family isn't here because they needed to tend to their lives -which is acceptable- but I'm always here. I don't care if time is running, as long as I'm here beside her every waking moment. I cry not because I already gave up her chance in life but because I question why these things happen to the people who doesn't deserve it; I cry for the time she could have used to enjoy the world, her life; I cry for the things she still didn't get to do but wanted to; I cry for her hopes and dreams most of all I cry for the unarguable fact that we will all perish -I just don't know why she should go first.

 

I haven't given up on her but the realization that she doesn't have much time keep on slapping me. I keep back a sob as I remember how she hid the fact that she's been vomiting blood. She doesn't want to let me know and it hurts me, not because she hid it but because she might think she's all alone. I squeeze her hand and talk to her, even if she's asleep.

 

"Cho Mee-ah, I didn't plan on meeting you in a hospital - I didn't plan on meeting anyone I would fall for at all but I did. I know you might never get to hear this but maybe it works this way. I will always remember how your eyes sparkled that first day I laid my eyes on you. How you laughed and smiled as if nothing was wrong in the world. I will never forget how you smiled at me the first time you actually laid your eyes on me. I will always remember how we used to go up to the roof top and talk about everything -how you vented out your fears, doubts and frustrations. I will always be here for you Cho Mee, whatever happens I will never leave your side. You will always be in my heart so I want you to promise me something. Please Kang Cho Mee, don't leave me because if you do... You'll take my soul with you. Cho Mee, I can't imagine life without you. Don't go, please. Don't go."

I knew she wouldn't respond but I just held her hand and cried, imagining the days when this dark phase of our lives would only be a part of our past while we lived the life we always wanted.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This short fic of mine is coming to an end in two chapters. Hope you like it! :D Comment. Subscribe. Vote. Show some love. :)) 

xoxoxo Kyon Seul