Three

He Can't be Human!

Sara's POV

I watch the man run away, jaw slack. He's left me confused, that hit to the head has left me dazed, and my day in general has left me tired. And remember when I said I was cold earlier? Yeah, well, that was nothing compared to right now. I think I'm getting frost bite!

My beyond numb fingers fumble with my phone. The screen is cracked, but it still works. I dial Tao's number, and pray to God that he's out of his after school study thing, and with his friends.

"Hello? Sara?" Tao says when he picks up.

"Tao? I nee' hehp!" I slur, but not on purpose. I try to say it again, more clearly, but it comes out the same.

"Sara? Are you hurt, or are you trying to confuse me again?" Tao asks, sounding concerned. I can hear one of his friends, Xiumin, ask what was happening. "It's Sara. She possibly hurt herself."

"Tao, my hea' d'urts! An' I'm col'" I whine as I stumble to the bus stop. "I 'it my hea'. Der was dis man, an' d'ee-"

"You hit your head?! How hard? Do you have to go to the hospital? Where are you?!" Tao interrupts me. I sit down on the bench of the bus stop.

"I'm at de bussop outsi'e buildin' D. I'm col', Tao, an' tire'."

"Ok, good, we're near there. Try to stay awake, ok? We're coming to get you!" Tao ordered before hanging up. I put my phone in my pocket, and curl up into a little ball on the bench. I look at every car that passes by with wide puppy eyes, begging silently for it to be Tao driving by.

Finally, a van pulls up. Out comes Tao, Chen, and Xiumin. Xiumin grabs my bag and climbs back inside the van. Tao gives me a bear hug. When he lets go, Chen, the nurse in training, takes out a mini flashlight and shines it in my eyes. I think I blink.

"What day is it?" he asks.

"It's uh...." I stutter. "Oh, it's Monday!"

"And your name?" Chen asks as he moves a finger in front of my eyes. I follow his finger with my eyes as I answer.

"Cho Sara."

"K, I don't think she has anything serious, but she might have a minor concussion. We'll have her parents keep an eye on her, and if she gets worse, they'll take her to the doc's." Chen says, helping me get up. I climb into the car, and collapse in the back seat with D.O. D.O. is just his nickname, but he gets furious if anyone calls him anything else.

"How you doin', princess?" he asks, looking down at me with a smile.

"Some guy slammed my head against the wall, then took off." I explain.

"Ah. So he was afraid he'd incurred your wrath, eh?" Chanyeol comments from the front passenger seat.

"Must've been!" I yawn, eyelids drooping. I lean against D.O. "D.O. oppa?" I whine.

"Yes?" D.O. asks.

"I'm tired!" I yawn again.

"Well, let's wait until we get you home, ok? Then you can sleep."

"It should be ok to let her sleep here." Chen piped up. "We should wake her up about halfway to her house though."

"Ok then." D.O. replies, putting his arm around my shoulder casually. I curl up into his side, shivering even more.

"Here ya go!" Xiumin chirps, draping his uniform jacket over me. I smile at him, and snuggle in, closing my eyes, letting the gentle movement of the car lull me to sleep.

I have a hazy dream, with various shapes and colors crawling across my line of sight. I feel like I;m on a roller coaster, bu there's no other indication that I'm moving.

I feel a gentle proding in my side for the second time today. It is enough to bring me closer to the surface of the haze, but I'm still at least six feet under. I'm in a forest now, and I'm frantically running through the trees, looking for a way out. I feel myself being shook by the shoulders, and I fall to the ground of the dream forest. When I look up, I see a bright white light. I jump up, and catapault myself through the light.

I open my eyes, and see D.O. and Chen looking at me.

"Hey Sara. What classes did you have today?" Chen asks slowly. I blink, and think for a moment, my brain foggy from sleep. Then I answer,

"English, Algebra, Earth Science, gym, history, Home Ec., and Astronomy." Chen looks at Tao to confirm, then nods at me, telling me I can sleep. I try to smile at him, but it turns into a yawn. I happily settle back down to sleep.

I'm back in the forest, but I'm content to stay there. I run around like a little girl, chasing imaginary butterflies and bunnies, before falling onto the mossy ground and watching the sky.

When I feel the poke in my side this time, the white door appears almost instantly. I haul myself up off the ground and walk through the door. I open my eyes, and find myself looking at Tao's face pressed up against mine. I blink at him, and sit there for a half second too long, before jerking back sluggishly. Everyone in the van starts laughing.

"Well, someone's a bit slow, isn't she?" Tao teased, grabbing my arm and helping me to stand in the car. I follow him out onto my driveway, and take my messenger bag from Xiumin.

"Thank you guys for helping me!" I say, reaching up on my tiptoes to give Tao a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"You're welcome!" Tao replies, blushing. The rest of the boys are snickering. "But me and Chen are walking you to the door." I sigh, nod, and wait for Tao to clamber out of the car. Once he's out, the three of us walk up the icey slick driveway. I refuse to let either of them carry my bag, insisting that I'm fine now.

The front door opens when we reach it. We don't have to ring the bell or anything. Dae-Ho is standing at the door, his face set in you-are-dead-meat mode.

"Where have you been? Mom's been worried sick! She and Dad are about ready to kill you!" Dae-Ho says harshly.

I'm about to make a sarcastic reply - I'm that tired! - When Tao speaks.

"She was walking to the bus stop from Building D at school, when a man came, slammed her head against the wall, and left. She called us, and we helped her home."

"She might have a concussion." Chen adds. Dae-Ho blinks, drops his jaw, and he calls over his shoulder,

"Mom! Sara might have a concussion!"

"WHAT??!" Mom yelled, rushing to the front of the house. She grabbed me, yanked me through the doorway, and began checking me over for anymore injuries, like a mother hen. "What happened? Who did this to you? What were you even doing near building D in the first place?"

"Mom, Mom, Mom, I'm fine!" I groan, gently pushing her hand away.

"Wake her up at least three times over the night. Ask her questions that have to do with memory and make sure she eats a full breakfast in the morning." Chen recomends. "If she has trouble answering the questions, balancing, or has a lack of appetite, bring her to the doctors, just to be safe."

My mother bows, and thanks Chen litterally a thousand times. Tao and Chen bow, telling me they'll see me tomorrow.

As soon as the door closes behind my friends, my mom ushers me upstairs to my room.

"Get ready for bed!" She orders.

"But Mom! It's not even eight yet!" I moan.

"Doesn't matter! Bed rest is the best thing for concussions!" my mom replies, tucking me in like a baby. She turns off my light, closes the door behind her, and walks quietly down the steps. I fall asleep quickly.

When I first fell asleep, it was 7:48. I was woken up at 10:40. Then again at 2AM, then again at 5:00 am. I would've just gotten up then, but Mom practically duct taped me to the bed, telling me to sleep the extra hour. Which I did.

At six, when I was finally allowed out of bed, I did my morning routine, feeling about as tired as yesterday. When I walk downstairs to the kitchen, I am greeted with the sight of a full breakfast, that took up the whole table! Mom was standing at the table, smiling at me.

"Mom? What's all this? And where's my brothers?" I ask, trying to comprehend how on Earth I'm going to eat all this.

"Jae-Jae's sick, so he's allowed to sleep in. Dae-Ho and Young-Woon were picked up by their friend. And this," Mom gestured grandly, "is your breakfast!"

"Mom, Chen said to bring me into the docs if I had a lack of appetite! Not to feed me a feast!" I protest, feeling a little sick at the sight of all that food that I most likely wouldn't finish.

"Oh, don't be selfish!" Mom snapped. "Not all of this is for you! Jae-Jae's gotta eat breakfast too!" I blush, and sit down, silently digging into my breakfast.

It turns out I'm more hungry than I thought, because next thing I knew, I was halfway through everything on the table. I stopped eating and stood by the door, waiting for the bus, nodding at my mother as she badgered me about staying safe. I was out the door the moment I saw the yellow bus.