vii.

Yellow Pages

With team A sending them off, team B departs for the vacation the President YG has prepared for them. The six kids are excited, happy and relieved because yes!! they get to enjoy a day or two off from endless trainings and nonstop practices, after all.

 

As usual, Hanbin does what he’s told: he forgets Hayi that day to enjoy and relax with his friends.

 

Hayi would want that for him.

 

 

 

 

For that day, Hanbin’s not a leader. Jinhwan’s the eldest hyung. Bobby’s not the husky rapper. Donghyuk’s the maknae, as usual. Junhwae’s not the main vocalist, and Yoonhyung’s not the proclaimed visual. The six kids aren’t the team B kids.

 

They’re ordinary teenagers having the time of their lives and spending each precious second together.

 

They forget about their worries, their troubles and everything that’s ever happened from yesterday, and they bask in the warmth of the sun, the strong breeze and the warm welcome of the sea. Although they feel sorry for their hyungs who lost against them, they forget about it. They can worry later when they head back to reality.

 

Because this time, it’s the present that matters.

 

 

 

 

 

“How dare you choose team A!”

 

Finally, while the other five are busy and preoccupied with something else, Hanbin gets some time alone for himself and fishes out his phone from his bag. They’ll be going home in an hour or two soon.

 

Hayi picks up after two rings, and her hearty laugh is what greeted him. He knows she knows what he’s about to say anyway.

 

I wanted to choose B,” comforts Hayi, and he can actually feel her smiling, “but I didn’t want to be biased. And besides, I promised Seunghoon oppa the night before that I’d support him.

 

“You what?” Looking up, he makes a mental note to not thank Seunghoon hyung once he gets home. “That’s unfair! I kept looking at you, even winking just to make sure you’d actually remember me and not someone else.”

 

Seunghoon oppa is not someone else though.” He can still hear her giggling, and he knows she’s having fun teasing him. He plays along because hearing her laugh makes him feel better. “He’s a friend. A close friend. Something like a best friend?

 

“Just as long as it’s not more than a friend.”

 

Well, I did imagine me and Seunghoon oppa once-”

 

No!!!” Hanbin growls, maybe a little too loud because he’s drawn attention and his team members are giving him funny looks like dude what the hell was that for and Hanbin immediately shrinks and wishes there’s a hole he can bury himself into.

 

Hayi bursts out laughing. “I was kidding. I could never imagine me and Seunghoon oppa together. I mean, we’re friends. But, that was fun.

 

“You like torturing me, don’t you?” He feigns a pout but she doesn’t see. Bobby, who noticed it (unfortunately), pretends to gag.

 

I like making fun of you. Torture’s a little too strong.

 

He sighs. “Yeah, yeah. Whatever.”

 

Congrats on winning though. I realized I never greeted you that.

 

“A kiss would be better.” He smirks. “Or a hug. Yeah, either of those two.”

 

Bobby and Yoonhyung roll their eyes in disgust.

 

In your dreams.

 

He places a hand on his chest, right where his heart is, and mocks pain. “You hurt my heart.”

 

I wish I’ve recorded every single phone call and every greasy-cheesy line you tell me.” He hears her chuckle shortly and sigh. “The world would be staggered to know that the charismatic leader of team B isn’t actually what they think he is. In front of the camera, he’s fierce and strict and reliable and cool, but off-cam, he’s dorky and cheesy and sentimental and sappy and gross.

 

“Is that your way of saying you like me or,” he retorts.

 

No, I’m telling the truth.

 

“Wow, you surely know how to romance, woman.”

 

She laughs. “I’m the best!

 

“Fine. Just for you.” He hugs his knees to his chest. “I’m dorky and cheesy and sentimental and sappy and gross… just for you.”

 

The fans would love it, too.

 

“You’re the only one who knows this side, Hayi.” He smiles affectionately. “Only you.”

 

Well, I guess it’s a privilege then, huh?

 

“Hmm.”

 

Hanbin?

 

“Yeah?”’

 

 

 

I miss you.