xi.

Yellow Pages

A few hours before the final battle, both teams head to their respective dressing rooms backstage. Nervous and determination shadow each and every one of their faces. Finally, after years of practicing and performing evaluations, the opportunity’s just within reach but then it’s still uncertain.

 

Camera rehearsals with and without costumes were finished in about eight hours, and the rest of the remaining time are for the preparation for the final battle. They need to do last-minute check-ups of costumes, performances and their specific lines and roles.

 

Although they’re just behind the real stage, they can hear the screams and cheers of the fans, and that itself motivates both teams to work harder and give their best shot.

 

While the others are being paid attention to, Hanbin uses the opportunity, rushes outside the room and dials a number.

 

Hi.”

 

Hanbin smiles. “Where are you?”

 

I’m on my way to get my hair and makeup done,” replies Hayi.

 

“Do I get to see you before the show starts?” Hanbin wants to know. “You can come to our dressing room or something.”

 

He hears her giggle. “Okay, Mr. Kim. I shall try my best.

 

“Would Mrs. Kim kindly bring food for me?” he teases, his eyes crinkling and the corners of his mouth tilting up. “The husband is hungry and he would like to fill his stomach with delicious food.”

 

She laughs. “Mrs. Kim, huh? Would you want me to ask your mother instead?

 

“Oh, I would love the idea of my girlfriend meeting my mother!”

 

You wish! I mean- I’m not ready.” She awkwardly chuckles. “Anyway, if I can’t visit you, do you mind visiting me instead? But I won’t be alone. I’ll probably be sharing dressing rooms with Yedam, Soohyun and Chanhyuk.

 

He nods, and then immediately regrets it because he looks pathetic nodding to himself. “Yeah, sure. Then I’ll take you out and we can-”

 

No, you’re not coming by yourself,” she interrupts. “Bring your team with you! And team A oppas!

 

Grimacing, he whines to the phone, “But why~ I thought we’re going to have some alone time. Just you and me.”

 

She laughs. “I never said that.”

 

“But I thought that’s what you’re implying.”

 

Loser.”

 

Your loser.”

 

True. I have to go so I’ll call you later.

 

“Bye. I love you!”

 

Heh. I love me, too.

 

“He-!”

 

She hangs up before he can respond. Excited to see her later, he heads back to the dressing room only to be greeted by some of the members from the other team. Mischief and knowing grins are painted all over their faces, as if they discovered some secret about him.

 

I love you!” Mino starts teasing by imitating Hanbin’s voice, causing others to burst out laughing.

 

Rolling his eyes, Hanbin puts his hand on his hips and laughs when he realizes that they had been eavesdropping during his phone call with Hayi earlier.

 

“Ah, hyung!” Hanbin whines.

 

Taehyun laughs. “How ironic would it be that Hanbin’s singing Just Another Boy when he’s not single anymore.”

 

Hanbin shakes his head at his hyungs’ antics. “Whatever, hyung.”

 

 

 

 

Hayi’s text finally comes an hour later saying that she can’t come and visit him but the boys can come and visit them instead. Of course, Hanbin doesn’t say no to this because even if he doesn’t get his wish of having quality time with her, he’ll still get to see her anyway.

 

When they reach the dressing room, the boys push Hanbin to the front, telling him to open the door instead because you’re going to see your princess go now you peasant. And Hanbin whines and whines but he ends up doing what they tell him to do.

 

“Hello!”

 

Hanbin’s eyes fly to the girl at the far left first, smiling and briefly waving, before he turns to the other people present in the room. They greet each other, exchange handshakes guys usually do and wish one another good lucks.

 

Seunghoon and Hanbin march towards Hayi’s side, the former with his arm around the latter. They decide to go there together so it’s not too obvious.

 

“Hi, oppa!” Hayi greets brightly, and then turns to Hanbin, merely giving him a knowing smile. The woman in-charge of Hayi’s makeup excuses herself to give the three of them privacy.

 

Seunghoon puts his hands on her chair and twirls it around so she’s facing them. “Wow, you look different than the last time I saw you,” he comments, wriggling her eyebrows. “You look so happy, to be honest.”

 

Hanbin smiles to himself. That’s because of me!

 

Hayi laughs. “Thanks. I’ve always been a happy kid,” she says, causing Hanbin to snort.

 

“You mean, you’re happy because of me,” Hanbin adds quietly.

 

“Whoa, okay!” Seunghoon exclaims. “Let’s not be lovey dovey right now because there are”—he lowers his voice—“people around. And by people, I mean those who don’t know anything yet. So let’s just keep it down low.”

 

Hayi chuckles. “Thanks, oppa.”

 

“What about a hug for good luck?” Seunghoon suggests, his arms wide open, and Hanbin is sort of startled and his eyes are wide and then he glances at Hayi, who’s just smiling innocently and hugging another boy in front of him.

 

Wow.

 

Hanbin frowns. How dare these two I will kill you Seunghoon hyung I shall curse you and-

 

But what Hayi does next surprises him.

 

After giving Seunghoon a hug, Hayi lets go and turns to Hanbin next, her arms slightly open and reaching out to him as if she’s about to hug him, too. Caught off-guard, Hanbin does what seems to be a logical thing to do—blankly accept the hug but celebrate and scream internally in the inside.

 

“Don’t be jealous because you’re my boyfriend,” she whispers, and that makes Hanbin chuckle. Gradually, he relaxes into the hug and tightens his arms around her. His eyes accidentally spot Seunghoon smirking and mocking him by imitating the couple hugging.

 

Hanbin rolls his eyes and drops a quick kiss on the crown of her head instead.

 

“Good luck,” she says with a big grin.

 

Though Hanbin wasn’t particularly sure of winning, it’s alright because he’s won something bigger anyway.

 

 

 

 

The long wait is over.

 

The screams and cheers are louder than before. Thousands of people fill the entire dome. The boys exchange good lucks and you can do it and more comforting messages for one another, but none can ease the anxiety building up in their nerves.

 

There’s no turning back this time.

 

 

Fr: Hayipiness <3

Good luck. I love you :)

 

 

 

Team A begins the show with Just Another Boy and some people are laughing and enjoying, and Hanbin thinks that it’s probably because of Taehyun hyung’s hair and how’s prettier than most of the girls present right now.

 

He’s fixing his earpiece and the microphone taped on his face and his clothes, but none of it can stop himself from shaking and feeling nervous about the entire thing.

 

 

 

They’re up next, and he tells his team to give the best they can and enjoy the stage.

 

 

 

Later, once the stage was over, Yoo In Na asks Hanbin if he’s truly alone for the entire eighteen years of his life. The fans cheer and scream, but he doesn’t fail to notice the knowing grins and smirks plastered on the faces of his teammates because are you trying to be funny Hanbin’s not even single anymore but they can’t exactly say anything.

 

Hanbin can imagine his team A hyungs laughing backstage.

 

Then, he thinks of Hayi and smiles and says he’s probably going to spend Christmas with his teammates as usual.

 

What a total lie.

 

 

 

 

Once they get down the stage, Hanbin spots Hayi getting ready and being ushered by one of the staffs. Both Soohyun and Chanhyuk shoot him a knowing look, as if they’re teasing him about being alone for 18 years and stuff and Hanbin merely smiles, embarrassed.

 

Hanbin approaches Hayi the instant she’s alone.

 

“Hey.”

 

Hayi greets him with a big grin. “Hi.”

 

“Good luck. I’ll be watching you.”

 

“I’ll try not to be self-conscious,” she jokes and pats his shoulders. “But damn. It must’ve been hard being single for eighteen years.”

 

Hanbin laughs. “Oh, come on! That was then. It’s different now.”

 

She winks, smiling. “I know. I have to go.”

 

Nodding, he grabs her hand and squeezes it lightly, as though he’s saying good luck and I love you again for the second time, only it’s through his actions. Then she leaves, and he can only watch her go.

 

 

 

Team B stays backstage for a while, their eyes focused on the screen before them.

 

Lee Hi, Akdong Musician and Bang Yedam are performing Officially Missing You.

 

 

 

Fr: Hayipiness

You ha ha ha ha.

 

To: Hayipiness

What r u talking abt!!!

 

Fr: Hayipiness

I mean you looked awkward tearing ur shirt off.

 

To: Hayipiness

:( how supportive of u

 

Fr: Hayipiness

I’m just telling the truth.

 

To: Hayipiness

Were u focused on watching my abs :)

 

Fr: Hayipiness

Bobby’s was better. And Donghyukkie’s! :)

 

To: Hayipiness

U’re not supposed to look at them!!! :( :( :(

 

Fr: Hayipiness

for you ha ha ha good luck for ur dance!

 

To: Hayipiness

U will be watching right?

 

Fr: Hayipiness

What else am I supposed to do?

 

To: Hayipiness

Yay! I love u <3 xoxoxoxoxoxxxxxx

 

Fr: Hayipiness

<3 :)

 

 

During the final performance, everyone saw it coming. Even Hanbin himself predicted that he would probably be holding back tears but then he’d be crying later anyway.

 

And so that’s what happens.

 

The song means a lot to Hanbin, and now that they’re onstage singing their hearts out, Hanbin feels a lot more emotional than he expected to be. Yoonhyung was already crying, endless tears running across his cheeks. Then, Hanbin glances at Jinhwan, who’s crinkling his eyes because he’s trying (barely) to hold back the emotions.

 

And then Bobby follows, and another and another.

 

That’s what it all took for Hanbin to explode in tears.

 

 

 

 

Team A wins.

 

 

And Hanbin’s never cried so much before.


this is like the last chap and then the epilogue adjf;aksdf it's been a good journey ha ha hah

let's celebrate our b.hi feels ok and for those who've always commented u don't know how happy u make me tbh a;dkf;akldf ;u; thank you