Oops, I didn't know

2NE1Bang One Shot Collection

Story title: Oops, I didn't know

Shipping: DaeMin (Daesung x Minzy)

Rating: G

Date posted: 26.4.2014 (Daesung’s birthday)

Why am I smiling? It's because of her; she's like a vitamin to me. Whenever she smiles, I would find one on my lips. But why is it so? It's because of love, a simple best friend love, nothing more. But then, for unknown reasons, everyone around us had teased us for years. It was irritating at first, but it surprised me that it had been almost ten years since we had known each other... 

We had known each other on a blizzard summer day. That day, upon entering the old YG building, a smile appeared on my face as the air-conditioner freshen me almost immediately. I was walking but was focused on texting manager hyung that I will be reaching the dance studio soon. We were about to debut then but we weren't sure when we will debut. But, I was more than certain that by practicing our dance routine and vocals for me, I will be able to play a part to help my band. What is my band's name? It's in English, something Big then what is the second word? 빅뱅! That's it, it’s BigBang.

It was then; I almost bumped into someone, a girl with black short hair, about the age of an elementary school kid. But she's different, she's talented. How so? She is able to swiftly swerve her body away from me, and stood upright on both her feet with her sweet lips forming a smile while her hands held my shoulder to prevent me from falling towards the cold hard ground.

Being Kang Daesung I am, I have those small eye smiles that not much people have. Combining my smile on my lips, I used it to a smile flash at her, a gesture in which shows that I appreciate her action.

"Hey, you are awesome there!" I spoke, rubbing my nape due to nervousness of starting a conversation.

"Thanks for the compliment," She spoke in a soft voice, mumbling most of her words while her gaze were on the wall right behind me, avoiding my eyes; she's shy.

"Thanks for preventing me to knock into you..." The sentence was awkward but I said it anyway. That made awkwardness invaded in the atmosphere.

"I am Daesung," I offered my hand out to reach hers and she shook her right hand with mine. Smiling, she revealed her name," I'm Minji, I am new here, I will be a trainee here starting from today."

"Welcome!" I smiled and offered her a tour around. Without hesitation, she accepted my offer. With that, I started my tour around the building which I had already been here since years ago. That made me carried away. I had forgotten what I supposed to do until I passed by the dance studio which I will be using. I saw a cluster worried faces which belonged to my hyungs and my group's maknae, Seungri. 

"Where were you?" My manager asked. Before, I can even reply, Seunghyun dongsaeng ran towards me and hugged me tightly. Seungri the drama king, oh well... Then, Seunghyun hyung outbursted, "Are your eyes too small to find this practice room, Daesung?" Wow, he insulted me... But I know he is a guy without much patience. "Hey bro, you said you will be here soon but after all of us arrived, you have yet to arrive. It had been a good three hours since we waited for you!" Youngbae hyung patted my back and pulled me into hug right after Seungri broke the hug. "Dae, who is she?" Jiyong hyung asked, pointing to that short hair girl whom I met earlier.

Minji attention was on me, which made me understand what she was hinting me to do. Following her cue, I helped her as she was shy and she didn't know how to introduce herself.

"She's the new trainee here and I brought her around," I spoke and continued, "Also, my phone is in silent mode that's why I didn't pick up the calls." 

Hyungs nodded their head in understanding whereas maknae teleported to Minji's side busy welcoming her. But from Minji’s reaction, she seemed uncomfortable with it. I ran towards her and excused her, “Seunghyun-ah, stop scaring Minji-ssi.” A bitter look was shown on the maknae’s face. “You boys should start your practice, I will her to Sajangnim,” Manager hyung said and I only can nod my head and carried on to practice.

That was our first meeting. But soon after, we had our second meeting, third meeting and so on. That year, we kept on dining together, not just two of us but with some other people from the company. It was always fun meeting her as I always learnt new things about her and vice versa.

We were once labelled as look alike. True, we did have those small eyes. We were never look alike since she had her plastic surgery due to a disease, rhinitis, she had been suffering for a long time for a long time. But nevertheless, who cares about how we look? To me, she’s ever beautiful and I, shamelessly, am handsome. Yes, I admit that I am the most handsome one. But, in front of my hyungs, I would let them be the shameless guys instead. All I know is that I am nobody, other than the smiling angel. That’s what my fans called me smiling angel as I smile like one. Back to the main topic which is Minji versus me… Minji is able to have an aura when she dances but me? I do nothing but being angelic. I aren’t a angel, if I were to be an angel, Minji would be times better than me.

Since I debuted as a member in Big Bang, there were lesser chances for us to meet up. The first year was tough as I, together with my group members, had a hard time adapting to life as an idol. Though, most of the time, both of us are in the same building, we hardly met up as her trainings get more intense as they progressed. Therefore, we would usually communicate by messages, sometimes by phone calls and would usually talk about our happiness, sadness, and frustrations, actually anything. I update her about life being an idol while she told me the life as a trainee.  There were times where she cried in front of me due to difficulties and vice versa.

2009 March was one of the times, where my group had collaboration with her group, 2NE1. They had yet to debut then, and they were all fascinated by the process of making the music video. We had great fun that day except we found a letter to a particular cat and a particular dog. It belonged to Chaerin and Seungri but we pretended as we didn’t know what they were doing so we wrote on the paper.

Since that year, our schedules were hectic as our schedules clashed most of the times. We started to use multimedia as our source of communication. That made our occasional meet ups precious as our time together are limited, making us grow closer as we cherished our time together more than before. I liked spending time with her at times; I would even initiate simple actions such as purchasing a drink for her so that she would stay by and spend more time together with me, catching up with each other’s life. We were able to keep chatting rather endlessly till the constant source of interruption started to interrupt us. He is Dong Youngbae, a hyung in my group. True, he cared about me a lot. He’s the one who made me opened my inner emotions out. But since I noticed that Minji would always smile brightly when a message from him popped out of her phone or when he smiled at her or when he walked towards her. I was irritated as I supposed that is jealousy. According to Seungri, jealousy is when a person felt extreme irritation when another person of opposite gender approached the one the person you like. That made me realised that I like her. At first I thought that it was only an infatuation. So, I freed my feelings, letting my feelings control me, noticing every move of hers when she’s in front of me or go to check her schedules, fancams. Instead of acting like an oppa or a sunbae, I am more like a fanboy.

“Oppa!” Her voice brought me back to reality. I looked at her and smiled. She replied, “Youngbae oppa says that everyone is waiting for you to practice.” My smile faded like a rainbow, swiftly yet unknowingly, it came and went within a split second. She was walking forward while I was trailing behind. The next moment, I realised that she had turned around, leaving an inch spacing between our lips. Was I too concentrated in my thoughts?  My eyes were fixed on her lips. Then, I felt her hands wrapping my shoulders.  Hey, what is she doing? She lengthened herself by tip-toeing on her toes. The next thing she did surprised me. She claimed my lips. Didn’t she have her Youngbae oppa? Why is she confusing me? What is she trying to do? Despite those thoughts, I marked her lips mine. If we can’t be forever, we shall cherish the moment we have that second. She broke away that kiss.

And she said, “Oppa, stop making me wait anymore. Let me be your girlfriend. I have been waiting for too long already. You showered me with care and love that I know. I know you like me, no, you love me. I know you are jealous that I smile more to Youngbae oppa than to you. That was part of my plan to make you confess to me. But gosh, you didn’t know that… Yes, we might be disturbed by the whole company but you never really asked if the rumour is true. We might not love each other but I love you, yes you hear me right, I did confess to you. You made me hang there for three years and you didn’t do anything, nothing at all.”

“Minji… I didn’t know…” I spoke with urging tears that might escape from my orbs at any moment. “I didn’t know you like me, to this extend, love. I didn’t know that and always thought that you treat me like an elder brother nothing more… I am sorry that I make you suffer in silence when I failed to confess to you, I didn’t know that you like me. I thought you like him, I didn’t know the truth. Now I know, I apologise,” I spoke.

I wrapped my hands around her shoulder and pull her closer to me. 

“Hey Minji baby, don’t cry… I just didn’t know that I am such a coward. I didn’t know that this would affect you…”

“Now, you know, so shower me with lots of love before I accept Youngbae’s oppa love confession…” Minji trailed off. 

“Now shut up and be mine,” I whispered in her right ear.

Oops, I didn’t know how to shut up!” Minji laughed and escaped from my embrace.

I managed to get the grip of her left hand and pull her back into my embrace. Using my left hand, I rubbed my thumb against her ears before whispering into her left ear, “Now you know how to be mine.”