Chapter 11

Baby, Don't Cry

 

.
.
Baby Don't Cry
by: MidnightNightingale

Soo Hee stood with her feet tapping the ground as she waited for Joon Myeon to say something. After reluctantly agreeing to give him five minutes to say what he wants to say, they both headed for that particular spot where they used to spend every afternoon together, the same spot were Soo Hee has been hanging out for the past few days before finally deciding to move on.

Joon Myeon sat quietly on the bench, unsure of what to say. He just stared at the girl standing in front of him as the chirping of the birds and the silent buzz of the bees filled the atmosphere. She wasn’t looking at him and she was avoiding him. Joon Myeon frowned. He didn’t like the idea of someone hating or despising him with no reason. He was still staring at his lower classman when she cleared .

“So what is it that you want to say, Joon Myeon-sunbae?”

Joon Myeon snapped back to reality and staring straight into the eyes of Soo Hee. He hurriedly looked away and she did the same. Joon Myeon could not help himself and he found himself peeking at the girl who was still looking away, her cheeks the same color as her pink-framed glasses. The buzzing of his phone reminded him of his earlier agenda and he finally took the lead.

“Soo Hee-ssi.” He started.

The moment she heard her name in his voice, Soo Hee froze. She slowly turned to look at the boy who offered her to take a seat next to him. Not wanting to seem rude and at the same time wanting to prove to herself that being near Kim Joon Myeon was like nothing to her anymore, she obliged and sat next to him.

“What were we like before I went to the States?” Joon Myeon asked.

Soo Hee was at a loss for words. She was suddenly debating with herself to either tell him or not. She can’t find any way to tell him because she doesn’t know what to say. Her wall momentarily broke down as she feared the possibility that if she tells Joon Myeon the truth, he would feel guilty and breaks up with his current girlfriend just to assume his duties with her. Then again, what makes her so sure that he would still even want to be with her?

Soo Hee was getting confused. Either way, she didn’t want any it. She doesn’t want Joon Myeon to be with her because of a sense of duty and she would rather die than be rejected again.

All this while, Soo Hee pondered on and Joon Myeon patiently waited for her reply. Classes have ended a while ago and the bustling chatter of students could be heard around the campus, but from where Joon Myeon and Soo Hee were, the place was filled with silence as both students sat together, seemingly waiting for something.

Outside the calm exterior, Soo Hee’s mind was a mess. She was still unsure of what to say and she knew that she had to respond fast. Anything she says could affect their relationship and her plans.

“Soo Hee?”

“We were best friends.”

Silence ruled once again.

“Best friends?” Joon Myeon’s brows furrowed together as he tried to get a grasp of the situation.

“Yes, but it doesn’t matter right now. Excuse me, but I have to go.” Soo Hee was about to leave when she felt him grab her wrist. She looked at her captor with wide eyes.

“Wait, I want to know what we were like. What did we do together? How did we spend time together? Did we get into any fights? I want to know so please don’t try and avoid the subject. I have my rights and besides, I want to remember my best friend.” Joon Myeon explained as he flashed a small sincere smile.

“Best friend? You want to remember me as your best friend?” Soo Hee inwardly snorted at the irony that has befallen her while Joon Myeon gave her one of his baffled looks, not understanding what the girl had really meant.

“Okay fine, I’ll tell you.” Soo Hee finally decided, explaining to herself that this could be another step in moving on as she implants new memories that never existed in Joon Myeon’s mind about them being ‘Best Friends’.

Joon Myeon smiled and sat down with Soo Hee who began to tell him stories.

“We met through Yeol and went to see a swimming competition together when Yeol decided to bail on me. We had a lot of fun and after that day, we just stuck to each other like glue. We used to hang out under that tree over there…” Soo Hee told half-lies as she pointed to the tree across from where they were sitting on.

Joon Myeon listened to her stories and smiled occasionally just to let her know that he was listening to every word, and he was.

Bogoshippeo, Suho-oppa.

Joon Myeon blinked once; then again as he stared at Soo Hee’s smiling face while she continued to tell him stories of their past escapades. There was one about a carnival, another of a movie, and the last he heard was of a beach they all – the gang and them - went together.  

“And then we went to one of these botanical places where we ha-” Soo Hee stopped talking as she felt Joon Myeon’s stare on her.

“What?”

Joon Myeon snapped out of his thoughts as he heard Soo Hee’s question directed to him.

“Nothing. I was just thinking of something.”

I love you, oppa.

“Soo Hee-ssi.” Joon Myeon called out and Soo Hee turned to look at him. He opened his mouth and then closed it before opening it once again.

“Soo Hee-ssi, I want us to go back to what we used to be. Will you allow me to stay by your side and support you as your best friend? Can we go back to those fun times?” Joon Myeon asked a surprised Soo Hee.

Soo Hee was debating with herself to just go and leave the boy be or accept his offer. The latter choice seemed the best option but as far as she’s concerned, she wants to put as much distance as she can between her and Joon Myeon and being ‘best friends’ was no-no.

“I…”

“Please? Let me make it up to you? I promise that I’ll be the best friend you ever had! Count on it! I never break my promises.” Joon Myeon pleaded.

You already did, you fool, and with it you also broke my heart.

“Fine.”

Joon Myeon punched his fists in the air repeatedly in pure joy and happiness while Soo Hee was left to ponder if her choice had been the smartest.

“Yah! Let’s go to an ice cream store then? Right now?” Joon Myeon suggested while looking at her with childish pleading eyes.

Soo Hee found herself giggling at the action and waving her hand in front of the boy’s face as a decline.

“Sorry, Joon Myeon-oppa, but I can’t today.” She explained.

“Yah, call me ‘Suho’. You called me that once before and since we’re best friends, I want you to call me that.”

“Joon Myeon-oppa, I-”

“Soo Hee!”

Soo Hee and Joon Myeon both turned to the source of the voice which was no other than a frantic-looking Min Seok. The moment Min Seok’s eyes landed on Soo Hee’s face, he smiled in relief but that grin was wiped out just as quickly as it appeared upon seeing the boy next to her.

“Suho! What are you doing with Soo Hee?!” Min Seok possessively blocked Soo Hee with his frame as he stood in front of Joon Myeon.

“What, hyung? Is it so wrong to talk to my ‘best friend’?” Joon Myeon retorted.

“Best friend? What are you tal-” Min Seok felt Soo Hee nudge him in the back and he inclined his head to ask her what that was for when he read the message in her eyes.

Don’t tell him anything.

“Don’t worry, hyung. She already told me about our past. We were best friends and I want us to go back together tot the old times. I was just about to get her approval until you showed up.” Joon Myeon rubbed the temples of his forehead.

“You can do that in another day, Suho. Right now, she’s with me and we’re going home.” Min Seok pointed to himself before dragging the girl with him.

“Whatever.” Joon Myeon muttered under his breath as he watched the girl being dragged away whilst looking back at him. Joon Myeon waved his hand in goodbye and smiled before the two figures disappeared from his sight.

“See you tomorrow, Soo Hee-ssi.”

~mylovewillprotectyou~

The mall was packed.

Soo Hee tried her best to evade the never-ending sea of people as she made her way towards her friends.

“A little help?”

“Oh, sorry, Soo.” Ha Ra picked up one of her shopping bags before placing it in the pile of bags.

Soo Hee stretched her arms as she glanced at Jae Hee who was busy on the phone. She was about to ask what her friend was doing when the subject buried her phone in the pocket of her jeans and started to walk again.

“Let’s go get something to eat. I’m starving.” Jae Hee exclaimed while carrying three shopping bags in one hand and another two in the left. Soo Hee grabbed her own set of bags and followed, trying not to bump into people.

“Ah! Watch it!” Soo Hee exclaimed as she fell to the ground and her belongings scattered all around the floor.

The subject of her fall turned to look at her for a split second before hurrying away with a simple ‘sorry’. Soo Hee’s eyes widened in shock. It was that girl again. The same girl she saw in Joon Myeon’s arms that time she snuck into his home. She was on the verge of crying. Why?

Soo Hee got up from the floor and was about to pick up her bags when another person bumped into her shoulders rather harshly.

“Hey!” Soo Hee yelled in annoyance as she glared daggers at the boy who bumped into her. The boy didn’t hear or notice her as he continued to hurriedly walk past the crowd as if catching something or someone. When she was finally able to get up, she walked towards the coffee shop where Jae Hee and Ha Ra were and dropped her bags in the seat next to her.

“What happened to you?” Jae Hee asked with a raised brow. She was about to tell her friends about what happened earlier when a commotion outside the shop had her head turn.

“Now what?” She sighs in annoyance.

“Maybe it’s a fight. I want to see.” Jae Hee suddenly got out of her seat and headed straight for the group of people.

“Jae, wait! Where are you going?! Argh!” Ha Ra stood up as well to follow the other maknae. Soo Hee sighed and followed as well.

Whispers were apparent and she heard shouting. Soo Hee tried to take a peek as she got separated from her companions. She slipped in between people. Thank God for my size.

“Get off her back! She doesn’t want you!”

Soo Hee froze upon hearing the voice. There was no mistaking it. It was Joon Myeon. As if confirming her guess, Joon Myeon stood proud and dangerous in between the girl from earlier and the boy from earlier.

“Get out of the way, Suho. Don’t meddle in what’s not your business.” The other guy spat.

“It’s my business.” Joon Myeon spat back as he tried to stand between the girl and the taller boy.

Soo Hee watched the exchange of glares and sparks between the two boys. Her gaze stopped at the girl who was trying hard to hide behind Joon Myeon. She looked scared and disappointed?

“She’s mine.”

“Not anymore.”

Joon Myeon’s last words made Soo Hee’s world shake once again. 

JUST SO RANDOM!  ©  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED