Masked

Burning History

 

 

~Chapter 21~

Masked

Taemin’s POV~

 

            Can I tell you how much I love being dead? Well, obviously I am not dead, but to everyone I am, which is pretty awesome. No, I don’t like deceiving my friends and being undetected, but I enjoy the freedom. There is no one to warn me about my safety and there isn’t anyone for me to worry about. Well, I have to worry about Gun Tae, Heechul hyung, and the new wolf friends I have made, but that’s not what I mean. What I mean is, I can finally focus on myself and take control. It has been six months, yes, a whole half a year since I “died.” My body has not fully healed yet, but it’s almost there. I just need to not expose any skin, which means I have to wear a face cover as well. I have no idea how Minho hyung did it for all those years, it’s terrible…

            Ever since I woke up, I have been training with Heechul hyung to strengthen my body and learn more battle techniques. The wolves and Heechul hyung have removed my chains from my arms and legs. Boy that was the best thing that happened to me ever since I came back in time. Since the chains were so massive and heavy, removing them made me run faster, jump higher, and my footsteps are much quieter than they were. My hands are more impressive than they were also. Let’s just say, removing the chains have made my martial arts improve and I can definitely fight better than I used to.

            I have also found my weapon of choice in this past year as well. My double-ended spear is known throughout the martial realm for its flexibility as well as its strength. Its beautiful design was etched on by Heechul’s master’s master’s master’s master who was well known for his great intelligence and detailed art. The spear to me is very light and yet its hits are very powerful. I heard from Heechul hyung that it was blessed and improved with magic, giving it power to cut through almost anything and even being able to hurt mystical creatures. My weapon is definitely a work of art. Just simply holding onto it gives me the confidence and power to go to battle at any given time.

            You didn’t think all I did was train for the past six months right? Of course not! Taeminnie is a man now. I am eighteen and I surely have my own duties. In the martial realm, I have earned the name of White Masked Hero (A/N: this is the English translation…Idk if the name would sound cooler in Korean though >.<). Yeah, it sounds a bit lame, but at least I have a nickname! Let’s just say after I “died” I got rid of my mysterious, lonely, and tough kid act. I am now eighteen and ready to face the world like a man! I can’t say that I am as cheerful and happy as I used to be, but being away from the thoughts of fixing the past has simply de-stressed me and I am slowly losing my negativity. I earned that nickname because I wear all white, from head to toe, and travel around with my silver-colored spear, one by one getting rid of people from the dark clans, helping out the citizens while aiding Heroes’ Rebellion in their attempt to gather all the righteous clans to prepare to protect the king.

            To the citizens and the people from the palace, they are just assuming that the “good” and “evil” clans are preparing in case they are attacked, but truthfully, the dark clans are teaming up with a leader, hoping to overthrow the king while Heroes’ Rebellion is only hoping to be able to protect the king and the citizens. I am really on the “good” side, but for now, I’m still going solo. Yup, Lee Taemin is the man, ladies and gentlemen. I should start a clan myself just to look cool! We can all be called The Masked Warriors! Joking, I am just joking…hehe.

            “Taemin-ah!” Heechul hyung appears in front of me, out of breath.

            “What’s up?”

            “What do you mean what’s up? The sky silly! What kind of question is that?”

            “Just forget it. Why do you seem to be in such a rush?”

            “My master has just told me that it is time.”

            “What!? I can return to Heroes’ Rebellion now? No! Not yet. I’m still not fully recovered…” I touch the white cloth on my face and look down. “I don’t want to disappoint anyone.”

            “That’s not the point. The past few days, the dark clans have been really strange. We’re afraid it is the calmness before the storm. Who knows when they will attack the palace and overthrow the king?! We need you to return and be as much help as possible. You don’t need to reveal yourself. Just use your martial realm name and join the righteous clans to prepare for battle. Jong Kook has a connection with our master and he has personally asked for our aid.”

            “What about the wolves?”

            “They are going to stay here to prepare our side for battle. Whenever you guys need help or backup, just call for us and well will come. Gun Tae will return with you and if anything, he can communicate by howl. Here,” Heechul hyung tosses me an ancient badge and I catch it with ease. “Show this to Jong Kook and he will believe you mean them no harm.”

            “Understood.” Joon hyung, Onew hyung, Jonghyun hyung, Key hyung, Minho hyung, I’m going to be with you soon.

 

            I walk beside Gun Tae the wolf and stop in front of a bloody scene. There are over a dozen men lying dead in front of me, all drenched in their own blood. “Well, I guess we are nearby.” I tell Gun Tae who howls, indicating that I must be correct. I pat his head and dash forward, stopping in front of a small battle between Jong Kook hyungnim and a handful of savages. I jump off of the high path I am walking on and land in front of Jong Kook hyungnim. He whacks me with his huge war hammer, but I quickly dodge and stop his attack with my spear. His hit was so powerful, that I had to back up a few steps to avoid being knocked over. I toss the badge at him and he catches it. “I’m here to help.” I say and without further questioning, we both fight side by side, killing off the enemy.

            “Reporting,” a servant yells as he rushes toward us. “The enemy has attacked our men at the other end of the woods. I’m afraid we will be outnumbered soon.”

            “Okay,” hyungnim nods and tells the servant to lead the way. “By the way, I am Kim Jong Kook. I never thought he would send someone so quickly.”

            “I came as soon as I was summoned,” I bow my head, showing respect.

            “The White Masked Hero, is it?” he asks, after looking at the badge with my name and Heechul hyung’s master’s engraved mark on it. I nod. “Welcome to the clan.”

 

            I take a deep breath in as we approach the group of people battling in the middle of the woods. I see Jonghyun hyung fighting with two massive axes, one in each arm. His moves are powerful and precise, eliminating enemies one by one. Key hyung slashes around his fan elegantly, stopping the breath of those in his way. Onew hyung quickly pulls back his bow string and release sharp arrows at the enemy. He spins and hits a target without taking time to aim. His black bow bends back to a smile and sends the arrow at another person. Joon hyung attacks the enemy with a large sword. In sight of it is already threatening enough. Enemies drop dead left and right beside him as he moves around, protecting those around him. My breath hitches at the sight of my old friend. Minho hyung confidently s his thin, yet powerful sword at enemies and stop them in their path. His face is beaded with sweat and droplets of the enemy’s blood, splattered on his face.

            Although my hyungs are pulling off a great battle, the enemy swarms them like bees. They are great warriors, but they are only human. I can see them slowly getting tired out. “May I make my first contribution to the clan as its new member?” I ask Jong Kook hyungnim in my raspy, raw voice. Although it has been six months, my voice and throat has not recovered yet. With a proud smile, he nods and I spin my spear. With a powerful leap, I nearly fly into the fight as my clothing flies around, causing an eye-catching entrance. I whip my spear in front of me and immediately ten men drop down, unconscious. I need Jong Kook hyung to know that I am not a mere warrior who earned his name through useless fights. I need to show him what I am made of. I need his trust. In a battle, it is hard to refrain yourself from killing your enemies. If I lock all of their acupunctures and save the day, I might earn a better impression. I whistle and throw my spear at Gun Tae the wolf, who catches the middle of the spear with ease, balancing it in his mouth, biting on tightly to not drop my precious weapon. 

            I smile at him and pull my gloves back (when I said I have to cover myself from head to toe, I mean it). With another leap, I jump over some enemies and lock their acupunctures, causing them to fall over, not dead. In no time, the enemy has been fully suppressed. Gun Tae the wolf runs over to me and I grab my spear from his tight breath. I wipe off his moist saliva off of my spear by my clothes’ bottom hem. I ruffle the fur on his head and spin my spear once again, having it touch my back and pointing to the side. “Great job everyone; let’s return back to the clan. I’d like to introduce you guys to our new clan member an old friend of mine has offered us,” Jong Kook hyungnim says. “This is The White Masked Hero and this is Joon, Onew, Jonghyun, Key, and Minho, some of our finest fighters.”

            My hyungs smile at me and bow their heads in respect, not realizing how much younger I am than them “Nice to meet you.”

 

I have no real excuse. I have been overwhelmed with personal problems, applying for colleges, keeping up my grades while balancing all extracurricular activities and I could not think of anything to write about! I am so very sorry. Please forgive me! I will update when I can. I love you all. On the other hand, are you excited?! Taemin isn’t dead and they are reunited!!! Comments are loved!~