Separation

Burning History

PLEASE READ CHAPTER 35!!! Turns out I forgot to post it so it left out a huge chunk of the story!!!! I added it in so make sure you check it out!

 

~Chapter 39~

Separation

Jimin’s POV~

 

            I feel my adrenaline kick in as I continue to take down members of the dark clan. Once in a while, I look over to the fake eunuch who is tirelessly knocking them out. We exchange a few moves as we help each other use the limited space. He would grab onto me to propel himself up and I would have him watch my back. Although this is our first time working together, our fighting styles are working together well and I even feel a sense of comradery with him. It almost makes me happy that we are fighting off an army. It almost makes me feel like with him, we are invincible.

 

Onew’s POV~

 

            We hail down a swarm of arrows toward the army of monsters. I knew it was quiet for too long. The monsters were able to hide amongst the shadows and got much closer than anticipated. Joon signals for his men to charge and a full on battle breaks out. Fires, monster parts, blood, and unidentified substances disperse around, tainting the palace. I try not to be too distracted by the chaos and continue sending arrows into monsters’ vital spots. I am much slower than usual because of the past few days of arrow-making and training. My hands are cramping up and my fingers are slippery as the blisters break, making them coat with blood and fluid. I bite down on my lip to ground myself and to distract myself from the pain. If I slow down even for a moment, another person can die.

            Crap, I think to myself. I’m out of arrows. I hold onto the last one and judge the monsters with a quick look around the battle. That one, I confirm with myself and shoot an arrow right at the largest monster. The monster screams, but the arrow did not impale deep enough to break its bead. Curses, I didn’t shoot with enough force. I pull my dagger out and run full force toward it. Suddenly, a song cracks through the chaos of the battle. I clutch onto my head as the sound pierces me uncomfortably. Monsters then turn around and leave, almost like they were not killing dozens of men just moments ago. The imperial army is left utterly tattered and confused, now with the enemy gone. Something must have gone wrong on the dark clans’ end, why else would they retreat when they clearly had the upper hand? What happened?

 

Jonghyun’s POV~

 

            I remain on the ground, bleeding and shaken, just like how the Peacekeepers left me. I let them take him away. They took Minho. I’m such a failure. I can’t find the energy to get up, but I am not sure it it’s from my injuries or from the fact that I feel so powerless. While everyone was preoccupied with the crown prince, our Minho was suffering alone. Why didn’t anyone else come check on him? Why didn’t we for a second think that he might not make it alone? He was severely injured and was taken by them…after I chopped his body with my axe. Why…why did this happen? What is he thinking? He encouraged me to hurt him, yet I know I have to take full responsibility for this. I should’ve been there for him. I should’ve saved him.

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

            The army retreated and the once chaotic battleground settles down to an eerie silence. What was that tune and why did they retreat after hearing it? Did something happen? I look at Jimin who simply shrugs. We help Baekhyun hyung and Taehyung down from the tree and take a breather. I try to listen for Jong Kook hyungnim’s party, but they don’t seem to be close. I guess they either relocated or something else is occupying them. “Enough break time; we need to go,” I declare and lead the way once more.

            As I walk, I turn toward the direction the army ran off to…I have an uneasy feeling. It’s like something terrible happened, but I can’t figure out what. I try to shake off the feeling and protect the three. If the battle ended, I need to switch with Gun Tae and return them to the palace as soon as possible. I stop on my tracks as I sense a strong energy source. I raise my hand up to signal for the three to stop as well and I pull out my spear. With a quick swipe, I cut down the bundle of trees and bushes, revealing a ginormous auburn-colored dragon.

            I hold my breath as the warm air from its nostrils blow onto me. Its eyes scan me from head to toe and resonates on my face. It looks exactly like those dragons from the ancient dramas my mom used to watch. Its snout is long and its face is wrinkly. Its body it snakelike and scaly. It stands on four legs with sharp claws and doesn’t have wings. Usually, when I see large monsters, I willingly battle them if it means protecting people, but my guts are telling me to help the beast, almost like my body is telling me to respect it.

            Yah, Lee Taemin, when were you such a chicken? I try to pep talk myself, but my legs aren’t moving. I look it right in the eyes and a yearning and desperation for my help is said nonverbally. I make up my mind and reach my hand out for the dragon to sniff. It nuzzles my hand and puts its snout under it, almost like a greeting. The dragon unravels its snake-like body and reveals mini versions of itself— baby dragons of different colors. In fact, there are five gorgeously colored dragon babies.

            Taehyung steps forward, but that causes the dragon to feel uneasy. “Stand back,” I say and the three oblige. “It’s okay, we won’t hurt you.” I assure it and step forward slowly. My breath hitches as I realized that the baby dragons are indeed dying. Behind the dragon lays another dying adult dragon. The mother, maybe? Its eyes are begging me for help and I can’t bring myself to ignore it, although my job is to the crown prince back. “They need my help…” I say. “I sense that Jong Kook hyungnim and the rest will be here soon. Just head toward that direction,” I point east, “and you should be able to meet up with them.”

            “Are you just going to stay here? You should come with us to collect your rewards for protecting the crown prince,” Baekhyun hyung says.

            “I’m good,” I say. “Go on, they’ll be happy to see you.”

            “Hero,” Taehyung bows.

            “Call me ‘hyung,’” I smile slyly.

            “He’s the crown prince—”

            “Who’s younger than me,” I cut off Baekhyun hyung. “I will only respond to ‘Taemin hyung’ and no other name,” I smile. “BlankTae-ah.”

            “B-BlankTae?” Jimin tries not to laugh. “You can’t be serious.”

            “Yes, Squishy Jiminnie,” I laugh. “Now off you three go~”

            “Thank you and farewell,” Baekhyun hyung bows.

            “Oh, don’t mention my name to anyone or how you escaped the banquet,” I warn.

            “You need to get the recognition you deserve—”

            “No no no no no,” I cut off Jimin. “Look, this needs to be a secret. Keeping my existence a secret is enough.”

            “If this is what you wish, we shall oblige, hyung,” Taehyung says.

            “I hope the future will bless us with a reunion,” Jimin bows and the three men run off. I turn my attention back to the dragons and step toward the adult dragon that is more severely injured. I start healing it with my internal energy, but it shakes my hand off. I look at it confused, but it moves its head toward the little dragons. My heart sinks as I realize that the dragon wanted me to save its babies first. I nod knowingly and walk toward the five. I raise both hands and send my energy forward.

 

Gun Tae’s POV~

 

            After making sure the crown prince is safely with Jong Kook hyungnim, I split from the crew. Who should I look for? Jonghyun hyung? Minho hyung? Taemin hyung? There won’t be any search parties sent out until the crown prince at least gets to the palace. If they’re injured somewhere, they might not be safe by then. Taemin hyung might need me to help him if he is healing dragons, Jonghyun hyung might be injured and so might be Minho hyung since they faced the Peacekeepers…That’s it, I’ll search for Minho hyung since he and Jonghyun hyung are most likely together and severely injured if the Peacekeepers didn’t go easy on them. Sorry Taemin hyung, I’m sure you’d appreciate me looking out for our hyungs.

 

            I slow down as I see a heavily injured Jonghyun hyung, weakly kneeling on the ground. I want to approach him, but something tells me something is wrong. “Where’s Minho hyung,” I ask hesitantly. No, please don’t tell me I’m too late. Jonghyun hyung turns to face me. Agony is all I can sense. His eyes are red and puffy while tears continue to stream from them. His lip is quivering and he is fighting himself to not cry any harder. I drop down and embrace him, hoping that some physical contact can help comfort him. His body shakes as he sobs into my shoulder.

            “I’m so sorry,” his voice cracks and I immediately knew what he meant. I am late.

 

Key’s POV~

 

            We all cheer in celebration of our miraculous victory. The crown price is safely back and the heroes are surrounding him as they him. I smile brightly and search through the crowd for my friends. I sigh in relief as each one of them appear one by one. I blink a few times and start searching through faces with haste. Minho? My breath hitches as my eyes fall on a battered Jonghyun being held up by the White Masked Hero, who is covered in his crimson blood. I knew it was too good to be true. Not everyone made it out in one piece. I run as quickly as possible toward the two, but stop as the White Masked Hero exchanges a quick look at me. Don’t ask, I read from his eyes. I give an understanding nod and turn away to hide my concern. He needs me to be strong for them right now, doesn’t he? I fight the urge to hug them, but walk back to my position.

            The king commends the heroes by granting them official positions and expresses his condolence for those that passed by offering their family riches. I bitterly bow my head to thank the king, although I knew the gifts could never reciprocate the loss of a loved one. It finally hit me that our Minho is gone and I can feel my eyes sting, threatening to shed tears at any moment. I need to talk to my friends…we need to make a plan.

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

            I regain consciousness and notice myself lying on a stone bed inside an illuminated cave. I sit up and feel my head throbbing as my blood rushes back. I hold onto my head and look around. I must have passed out…right! I was transferring energy to the baby dragons. “You’re awake, Savior,” a long-bearded male kneels down in front of me. I get off the bed and get him up.

            “I’m sorry, you are…?”

            “I thought communicating in this form would be more comfortable for you, Savior.”

            “Y-you’re the dragon?” I gasp.

            “Indeed,” he nods. “You saved my children, Savior. For this, I owe you my life.”

            “Uhh, you don’t have to call me ‘Savior.’ I’m Lee Taemin and it’s my pleasure. I didn’t help in hope of gaining anything.”

            “Which makes it all the more worth it. Please, I cannot live on knowing that I owe someone such a debt.”

            “I’m serious, it’s okay Mr. Dragon. Wait, how many days has it been? I need to switch back.”

            “Switch back? It has been two days’ time.”

            “Two days?!” I quickly fasten my shoes and rush out.

            “Is something the matter?”

            “Yes, everything’s the matter. My friends and I just went on a mission and I needed to switch back with him but I’ve been gone for too long.”

            “Please, let me you,” the male dragon offers.

            “Okay Mr. Dragon, please get me back to the palace as soon as possible!”

 

            “OHMYGOSHIMFLYING!!!!!” I yell as I sit atop Mr. Dragon in his humongous monster form while holding onto his little children. He is flying me back to the palace and holy crap this makes my version of flying around with internal energy a lame equivalent of a child hopping around. I call for Gun Tae to meet me behind the palace in the nearby woods and wait. “Thank you for this trip, Mr. Dragon. Take this as the payment for saving your kids if you insist on paying me back.”

            “Young man, you cannot think a simple flying trip is worth the lives of my five children?”

            “I didn’t mean it that way…”

            “We shall meet again someday,” he smiles. “feel free to summon me by blowing this whistle,” he hands me a pale green crystal tube, “and please do visit the cave if you find time, my children are fond of you,” he points out. I smile at the babies as they nuzzle their snouts onto my leg.

            “Will do,” I nod and bid my farewells. Not long after they left, Gun Tae arrives in wolf form with my clothes tied on his back. I quickly change back and walk back to the palace.          

            Hyung…before you go back, I need you to know something.

            “What is it?”

            Minho hyung…he…

 

 

~Comments are loved~