Rotten

Burning History

 

 

~Chapter 20~

Rotten

Taemin’s POV~

 

            Just a few minutes after the wolves saved me, Heechul hyung appears. Turns out his master has guessed that I would end up like this a long time ago. He sent Heechul hyung down to come fetch me not too long after my death, hoping to save me in time. The wolves were also brought back to the mountain lair and fed nicely. As for me, I am alive and I am going to be okay. The antidote was fed to me just in time. My body has fully rotted while I lay dead in the coffin. The antidote then kicked in and my body slowly started to renew itself. Turns out, the antidote only works after the person has fully died. Heechul hyung explains to me that his master has studied the poison ever since it was created by the dark clans.

            Now, my body will renew from the inside to the outside. For now, I will remain hideous on the outside– I’m basically a zombie– while my interior organs fully recover. Eventually, I will look like myself again. No one knows that I am alive and Heechul hyung’s master wants me to keep hidden so I can train enough until the rebellion is near. I will be able to return to the clan when time is right and save the king…if everything turns out the way we plan that is. While I train, hopefully Heroes Rebellion will gather more heroes and gather allies. If that happens, then the clan will be in good condition to protect His Majesty and the vulnerable citizens. Now is not the time to mourn, but a time to prepare for the battle that may determine our overall future.

 

Kai’s POV~

 

            After Taemin hyung’s death, I have fully recovered. Jong Kook hyung has Onew hyung, Joon hyung, Key hyung, and I lead the clan members into training while Jonghyun hyung and Minho hyung stabilize. Onew hyung is sad, but he knows that he needs to continue the mission Taemin hyung started, it’s for the best. Joon hyung is his support beam, constantly there to let him lean on and comfort him. Key hyung on the other hand has to balance helping the clan, reporting to the king, and keeping Jonghyun hyung sane. Although I feel guilty…I don’t tell them that Taemin hyung is alive. The day that Taemin hyung died, I sensed his life force from y bead. I knew that he wouldn’t die, but after seeing his lifeless body, I questioned my instincts.

            Then that night, Gun Tae as a wolf sneaked into the clan and was talking to other wolves by howling and I happened to catch their plan: they were going to dig up Taemin hyung. With that, I knew Taemin hyung was alive, but since he hasn’t returned, I knew there must be a reason. So, I kept my mouth shut about it. Every time anyone mentions Taemin hyung, I wouldn’t talk, trying to not give off any clues of any sort. Joon hyung is very sharp; if I slip, he would know Taemin hung is alive.

            Even so, I try my best to cheer up Minho hyung who is in a constant state of solitude. Taemin hyung was his source of happiness and since he’s gone now, Minho hyung finds it hard to be happy. He is always playing “Symptoms” on his flute and occasionally crying to himself. Everyone in the clan knows, but we give him so space. The guy just lost his best friend; we need to leave him alone for now. Jonghyun hyung on the other hand is much luckier. Since he has Key hyung by his side, he occupies himself by taking care of Key hyung and making sure he won’t lose him either. Ever since Taemin hyung died, he is much clingier toward Key hyung, afraid that he would lose him as well.

            He isn’t angry at Onew hyung anymore, but he isn’t talking to him that much either, so it may be because he is trying to avoid talk about Taemin. It makes sense, they both had a fight over Taemin and now their dongsaeng is dead…I feel sorry at times for not letting them in on the secret, but I know that if either of them know, Minho hyung will find out and then they would all look for Taemin hyung.

            Gun Tae has been missing. We even reported him missing to the officials, but they can’t do much. He’s an orphan and his only close friend was Taemin hyung who is thought to be dead. Since they have no lead, there is no way to find him. I know he is alive since I overheard him on the night Taemin hyung died, but I have no idea how he turned into a wolf and why he never returned.

            “Knock, knock~” Thunder hyung says, leaning on the opened door. I gesture for him to enter and he sits down in front of me. “Someone has been busy for the past months.”

            “Jealous?” I smirk.

            “Just a bit,” he admits. “I wish Joon hyung trusted me as much as he trusts you.”

            “Trust takes time,” I say. “Besides, can you blame him? To the Lunar Shadow Clan, you are just kidnapped. You never made a betrayal statement.”

            “Have you ever heard anyone state they are a traitor?”

            “That’s beside the point.” I smile.

            “Do you miss him?”

            “Who?”

            “Taemin.”

            “Yeah. He was a great hyung. He always tried to help others out and was always hiding his pain from others. He was a very selfless guy. He was like an older brother to Gun Tae and he made Minho hyung happy again after years of hiding his face from people. He made me feel very important too. He was just a great influence on everyone.”

            “And now you made me sound like the biggest jerk of the world.”

            “How so?”

            “I just killed an awesome guy!”

            “Indeed.”

            “Oh stop acting.”

            “What?”

            “I know that you know.”

            “I know what?”

            “Oh stop it with the innocent act.”

            “I know you know he is alive. They told me about everyone’s relationship with Taemin and even mentioned that you gave part of your bead to him. If it’s true, that means you should have sensed that he is alive by now.”

            “Taemin hyung is alive?!” I whisper loudly, standing up in forced shock. I can’t have Thunder know that I knew this whole time.

            “What? You’re kidding right? Man, I thought I could get something out of you, but I guess not. Look, don’t tell Joon hyung I tested you okay? I was just confirming something.”

            “Confirming what?”

            “Promise you won’t tell?”

            “I’ll think about it.”

            “Then I won’t tell you!”

            “Then I’ll make sure to make Joon hyung ask you.”

            “Okay fine! Fine. The antidote for the poison Taemin had requires the person to be dead to be activated. If he wasn’t buried, he would have survived but since he was buried, even when he woke up, he died due to suffocation. Since I heard that you shared your bead with Taemin, I just thought that you might have felt like he was alive and was just hiding it from us.”

            “Please, if I knew Taemin hyung was alive, I would tell. I miss him as much as the others.”

            “I see. Welp, I’m off to curing some other people I poisoned a while back. See you later.” He gets up and exits.

            “Bye.” That was so close! If I thought he meant it and confessed, then he would tell Joon hyung to try to redeem himself. Thank goodness I kept up with my act. I really hope hiding the truth from the clan will help Taemin hyung get the result he wants.

 

Thunder’s POV~

 

            “He’s such a bad liar,” I say as I enter Joon hyung’s room.

            “What did you find out?”

            “Well, from his heartbeat and y acting, I can tell that he knows something about Taemin. From the looks of it, Taemin might still be alive.”