The Tree, the Tune, and the Tower

Burning History

 

 

~Chapter 23~

The Tree, the Tune, and the Tower

Minho’s POV~

 

            Wet, salty tears stream down my frozen cheeks as I play “Symptoms” for Taemin who is below the ground. I brush the tombstone slowly and place my flute down. With the cold stone against my fingers, I feel as if it is all the heat from my body away. There were many times when I wanted to carve a stone of my own and follow Taemin, but I always talk myself out of it. I know it would hurt him if he were ever to find out I killed myself…I mean, if there is a Heaven and he was looking down on me, like that winged man I saw in my dreams. But of course I would never get to meet Taemin again because I don’t belong in Heaven. I am a child of sin and I have brought misfortune to those around me…Even Taemin, oh, sweet Taemin, couldn’t survive around me. My presence is a curse. Even so, I wish to stay alive and help save my king and our citizens. Maybe then, my great deed would be equal that of my sins and I would be able to enter Heaven and reunite with my companion…

            “Are you okay?” I stand up with a start. My heart hammers against my chest as I quickly wipe away the warm tears on my cheeks. I never let anyone see me cry ever since that day. I take it as a secret between Taemin and me. I don’t want people to think still I mourn and can’t move on. I know they want me to face the unfathomable reality that Taemin isn’t alive anymore and can’t keep me company, as much as I want him to. With a weak smile, I tell the person that I am okay, only to realize that it was none other than the White Masked Hero. “How’s keeping guard? The night is still long and the weather is chilly. Want to come inside and have some tea with me?”  

            “No thank you. I have my duties to fulfil.” I simply deny.

            “Understandable,” The young hero turns around and takes a few steps toward the blacksmithing area where he belongs along with Kai and Key hyung, but suddenly stops. “‘Do your best and wait for God’s direction’ is my family motto. I hope you can keep up the good work. Good people will eventually be rewarded.” With this, he walks straight to the blacksmithing area, leaving me alone and confused to why he said such a thing.

 

Key’s POV~

 

            “What’s taking him so long? Do you think Thunder is okay?” Kai asks.

            “Let me go look for him. You keep working on the weapons.” I say and leave the blacksmithing area.

            “How’s it going?” Jonghyun hyung ask from behind. I turn around and smile at him.

            “Have you seen the White Masked Hero? He told us he was going to check on Thunder but hasn’t returned in a while.”

            “I haven’t. I was just over at the south wing, making sure no one was trying to sneak in.”

            “I see…” I nod and look at him, who is in deep thought. What an awkward pause…should I start another conversation?

            “What do you think about the new guy?” He finally asks.

            “Who,” I ask. “The White Masked Hero?” He nods. “I’m not sure about what I should think about him yet. I just talked to him a little bit. He seems to observe things very well and his fighting skills are pretty good. I guess you can say he’s a good guy since he was caring enough to go check on Thunder, but we can’t judge him from just a few hours of interaction. For all we know, he could be a spy. Trust me when I say this. The kid seems very suspicious. How can he be so unique at such a young age? Well, maybe he had special training with the clan leader…”

            “You never trust anyone.” Jonghyun hyung says with a smirk.

            “Hey! I trust you. That’s already past my normal standards Mr. Time Travel.”

            “And sassy too!” he exclaims. “I like it.” I scoff as he winks at me. “Hey, isn’t that the young hero right there?” I turn around and see the white-clothed man walking toward us.

            “What took you so long? Kai and I thought Thunder was in trouble and I was about to go and check.” I say.

            “From what I saw, you were socializing.” The newcomer chuckles, “If you guys are curious about me, just ask.” He can hear us from that far away? We were whispering! His hearing sort of reminds me of Taemin and the time he heard Minho and me on the roof.

            “Say, how about we get back to work before Jong Kook hyungnim finds out and punishes us?” Jonghyun hyung says awkwardly.

            “Well, but before that, can I ask you a question?” The young hero asks.

            “What is it?” I ask.

            “What’s wrong with Minho hyung? He seemed very down over there.”

            “Was he near the grave?” The hero nods. “I see…” Jonghyun hyung sighs. “That grave is for our good friend who died not too long ago. Minho and the rest of us were very close to him, but Minho was really attached to him. He has never smiled since our friend died, ate in silence, and never spoke on his own, only speaking when he needs to. Sometimes we think he’s like a body without a soul. At times, we question if he is actually alive or not, because his heart is dead.” After a slight pause, Jonghyun hyung’s turns around, trying to stop his eyes from watering. “Gosh. Sorry for bringing the mood so down.”

            “We hope he would move on one day. You can’t bring back what you lost.” I say.

            “What if you never lost it?” The White Masked Hero says.

            “What do you–” The invader bell rings loudly, cutting off my sentence. All doors of the clan swing open as the members step out. We all run to the North wing where the bell sounded.

 

Onew’s POV~

 

            Joon jumps on top of the strange monster and tries to balance on top of it. The monster is a humongous tree with large, sharp roots that swing about, wrapping around poles and clan members. They scream with agony as its spikes dig deep into their flesh. Some of them try to cut themselves free with their swords, but the metal makes a spark against the tree and doesn’t do enough damage for the tree to release them. My ear rings at the sound of a strange tune playing somewhere off in the distance. I look up and see a silhouette of a slim figure strumming an instrument that looks like a deformed harp. Although I can’t see the instrument too well because the person is standing under the shadows, I can tell that the deformed harp has more than one side to it. I never saw an instrument like it before, even during the music festival in Seoul that I was a part of two years before I went back in time where all types of instruments were displayed.

            There must be a reason why the person is playing that music during this time. Either the music controls the monster or the music will create more harm than we can imagine. I take out Black Crescent and aim my arrow at the musician. Suddenly, the long root wraps around legs and makes its way up my arms. The sharp thorns dig deep into my skin which causes me to drop Black Crescent onto the ground pathetically. I squirm around but the thorns dig deeper into my flesh. I stop and calm down, trying to think of another way out of this. “Woah!” Joon yells as he is flung onto the ground. He groans as he sits up, a bit dazed. Jong Kook hyungnim smashes onto the roots with his weapon and it crushes them onto the floor, but unfortunately, it doesn’t make the tree release the clan members, but leaves them tied up. The only way to release them is to untangle them out of the roots. Minho wraps his hands with layers of cloth and tries to set some clan members free. Jong Kook hyungnim charges toward the tree’s trunk and smashes it, making the tree shake.

            The White Masked Hero, Key, and Jonghyun finally arrive. Key viciously slices at the tree with his metal fan. The younger hero stabs the tree in many areas and pierces holes into the trunk. Jonghyun is chopping the tree in many places, making use of his axes. In no time, the tree falls over. The clan cheers as they stare at the dead monster. I try to release myself, but the tree’s roots seem tighter than ever. I look at an amputated root and see that the spikes have been tucked back into the plant, but the one wrapped around me is still digging into my flesh. “Wait!” I yell. “It’s not dead yet.”

            “Hurry and cut loose the clan members and let’s set this monster on fire.” Jong Kook hyungnim orders and whoever is loose helps cut free the other members. I groan as I bend over and lift Black Crescent with my bleeding hands. I look up and see that the person is placing their hands on the string, about to play. I quickly aim and release the arrow. The person falls over near the deformed harp.

            “That person was controlling the tree, I think. Now that I shot the person, maybe the tree won’t come back to life.” I say.

            “Great job Onew,” Jong Kook hyungnim says. “Now, we must–” The tree comes back to life, crazy as ever. I get lifted up along with other trapped members. We get thrown about with no control and I hit the ground with a loud crack. A sharp pain erupts inside of me and I let out a gasp. Darn, I think I cracked a rib…I put my bleeding hand over the injured area, trying to support it. I get up, leaning against a large pole. I lift up Black Crescent and aim the arrow at the tree’s injury, hoping the arrow will make more damage by hitting a weak spot. I hold my breath as the pain makes it hard for me to move freely. I release the arrow and crouch down, holding my side. The tree releases a loud cry, similar to the sound of chalk, squeaking against the board.

            Turns out the tree has more than one move. Not only can it grab people with its roots, it can also throw its thorns and pieces of its bark at its enemy. Many heroes, including myself, get struck by its sharp parts. I bite my lip to hold back a yell as I pluck the thorn out of my thigh. I hear a clink and look up, seeing the White Masked Hero in front of me who just protected me from another thorn. Before I could thank him, he dives forward and grabs onto a flying shard, saving his wolf-buddy from being impaled. Blood from his palm drips down the side of his hand, onto the floor.

            “Minho! The tree was being controlled by the music earlier. Try playing on the instrument and tame it!” Joon yells, holding onto his bleeding head while slashing at the tree. Minho nods and uses the moving roots as a stepping stone. He stands on top of the watchtower and touches the stringed instrument.

            “What in the world is that?” Key asks.

            “It’s one of the instruments used by the Peacekeepers. I recognize it from back when they taught me how to play the flute. The flute and this instrument are meant to be played together, mixing chaos and peace to confuse the opponent.” Minho explains.

            “Thanks for the lesson, but can you please just hurry and tame the tree monster before we all get mauled by its enormous thorns?!” Key yells. Minho strums the instrument and the tree freezes. “Umm…now what?”

            “Minho, do you know how to tame this tree? If you can, maybe we can use it to guard the clan.” Mir says.

            “I’d rather have it get destroyed. If Minho hyung can control it, then our enemies can too. We don’t want it used against us.” The White Masked Hero says.

            “I agree,” Jong Kook hyungnim says. “Let’s destroy the monster. Minho, make it release the clan members.” Minho nods and strums the instrument. The tree goes berserk and stats grabbing everyone near it. In no time, almost everyone was caught.

            “I’m glad you’re having fun, but can you do what you’re asked!? I’m so going to kill you if these thorns leave scars on my body!” Key yells while being shook upside-down. “Did I mention I don’t like heights?”

            “I’m sorry! I never played this before! I’m figuring it out!”

            “Well figure it out in a peaceful manner! Hurry up!” Jonghyun yells.

            “Ungrateful!” Thunder yells. “Shut up and let me think you crybabies! Now…Minho…you look very handsome playing that instrument, but I would rather admire you on the safe ground…” Thunder at flattery…

            “Just play the flute. I’m sure you can control it that way as well. Didn’t you say they were meant to be played together? Since that person only played this instrument, it means the flute can be played alone. Maybe it will counteract the music.” I say. Minho nods and places the flute against his lips. He exhales and a sweet, peaceful melody echoes through the cold night breeze. The tree slowly calms down and releases the members without a warning. They all fall down with a plop and all scurry besides Jong Kook hyungnim and me. All of the sudden, the music gets cut off as Minho falls down, sliding off the watchtower. He hangs onto it with one arm and tries to pull himself up. We look up and see a figure emerge from the shadows. It was the person I shot earlier!

            He steps near Minho and stomps onto his hand. Minho yells and releases the railing. He falls down a few feet and grabs onto another railing, regaining his composure. The person in black climbs down and tries to attack Minho again, but I shoot at him. The person manages to dodge the arrow and rushes up to his instrument. Many people try to impale his with weapons by throwing them at him, but unfortunately the watchtower was too high for them. Everyone was too worn out from the fight earlier to do much damage, even Jong kook hyungnim who is suffering from an injured shoulder. With the man in black occupied, Minho manages to climb onto the tower and starts playing the flute again. The man makes it to the top of the tower and also plays his instrument. The tree is very confused. It tries to attack us, but also manages to hit itself a few times. Now with everyone’s guard up, whoever isn’t as injured is in front, trying to fight off the roots and protecting the more injured people. Despite our injuries, Jong Kook hyungnim, Joon, Key, Jonghyun, Nam Kyu, Kai, Thunder, Mir, and I are in front, along with other heroes.

            The White Masked Hero rips off a piece of the end of his clothing and uses it to tie his spear onto his back. He secures the cloth over his hand and takes a leap. He holds onto the railing of the watchtower and makes his way up it. If only the watchtower wasn’t under construction, if not, it would be much easier to get to the man. The man stops playing for a few seconds and shoots an arrow at the White Masked Hero. The young hero luckily saw the move, but doesn’t have enough time to dodge. He yells as the arrow impales his arm. Minho stops playing and reaches up. He places his hand under the hero’s feet to support him. “Joon, cover me!” I quickly yell and step aside. Joon slashes at the root that nearly stuck me. I aim the arrow at the man and release. The person dodges the arrow and quickly shoots back at me. Joon hits the arrow onto the ground before it gets to me. I hold my breath as the pain distracts me from shooting correctly. Nonetheless, I try to exchange a good amount of damage to the male to buy the hero some time.

           

Taemin’s POV~

 

            I hold back a cry as I try to regain my composure. The arrow is shot through my upper arm and the blood is trailing down it onto my shoulder and soaking my clothing. My palm’s blood is dripping past the bandages and soaks my hand. I slowly lose strength. I look down and my vision blurs for a second. If I fall now, I’d be lucky to not end up dead. “It’s alright; I got you.” Minho hyung says and gives me an encouraging nod. “Let go at the count of three.”

            “One…Two…Three!” I let go and close my eyes. I feel my two legs getting wrapped up by Minho hyung’s arm. I get pulled into the watchtower by the waist with his other arm. Before I could doubt him, I was already safely standing next to him, leaning on him. For a slight moment, we just remain that way: me in his arms, hearing his heavy breathing. “You just saved my life…” I say and step back, out of his embrace. “Thank you.”

            “You don’t expect yourself to climb the rest of this tower with that, are you?” He points at my bleeding arm.

            “Oh my goodness, good thing you are okay!” Key hyung sighs in relief as he swings into the level we are on. “Jonghyun hyung is right behind me. He is going to carry you back down and I will climb up the tower as the rest try to distract the enemy. Minho, keep playing the instrument and tame the tree, arasso?”

            “Be careful, that person is dangerous.” I say and hang onto Jonghyun hyung’s back.

            We make it back onto the ground safely and the clan doctors immediately care for my injuries. I nearly cry as they pull out the arrow and clean it out. I try to distract myself from the pain by watching the battle between the man and Key hyung. Although he was injured earlier by Onew hyung, he is a tough opponent. Key hyung is a very skilled fighter, and yet he isn’t giving Key hyung time to think. He is attacking so quickly that Key hyung only has time to dodge his attacks and manage a few attacks. “Key, I’m coming up there to help you!” Jonghyun hyung– who is the least hurt out of all of us – yells and quickly climbs up to the top of the watchtower.

 

Jonghyun’s POV~

 

            Who is this person and how can they pull off such a long fight? They are single handedly facing me and Key, who is known to have good teamwork in our clan during battles. Although we are both injured, which explains why we aren’t performing as well as we should, he is as well and is protecting himself very well…“Honey, I’m here to save you!” A woman in purple flies in and lands next to him. Yes, you read correctly, she flew in…on a freaking huge bird! I swear anything can happen to us…First the whole angel and demon love story, then time travel, and now a bunch of monsters show up. I swear my life can’t get any worse…I nearly scream as the bird shoots flames at me, causing me to fall over and hang onto the tower. Was that God telling me that my life can get worse? Like seriously?! It’s an expression! No need for proving me wrong at this moment!

            Key tries to attack the couple but the bird doesn’t let him. It waves its claws at him and shoots flames. The couple hops onto the bird’s back and flies away as I try to hang on for my life. Key leans over and grabs onto my arm and tries to pull me up, but gasps instead. He nearly drops me as he curls up, holding onto his side. He looks at his hand, which is now covered in blood. I look at his side and see a huge gash across it with his clothing slightly singed. “Are you okay!?” I ask him despite my life on the line.

            “Could be worse,” he tries to smile but scrunches his face instead. “Hang in there.” He tries to pull me up but groans again. “Ow…I can’t Jonghyun-ah…” I can see his injury getting larger as he holds onto me. The energy he is using and the angle he is leaning over is causing his injury to rip open even more. He yelps in pain as the blood pours out of the injury even more. “Swing your axes up here and try to grab onto me with your other hand. Try to pull yourself up. I won’t let go!” He bits onto his lip and holds onto my left hand tighter. I toss my weapon next to him and place my hand on top of his hands. I try to pull myself up, but I can feel him sliding off the slant of the watchtower’s roof.

            “Let go of me Key! You’re going to come down with me!” I yell.

            “No! It took me this long to find a good friend and a perfect fighting partner. I am not going to let go like this!”

            “But you’re going to die!”

            “Then so be it! If I have to die like this, it’s worth it!” I pull back my arm and try to pull myself up…and then we fell.