It’s All About Love

Burning History

 

 

JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN’T GET THE MEMO, READ CHAPTER 35!!! I didn’t post that chapter for some reason so it left out a lot of details and plot points. Please read it and I hope it all makes sense! That chapter is for the events that happened before the battle!

 

~Chapter 40~

It’s All About Love

Taemin’s POV~

 

            I grab my spear and hop on a horse. Where are you going!? Gun Tae howls while running after me.

            “I’m going to get him,” I declare.

            Are you crazy?! You’re going to march right into their liar and demand them return him to you?

            “You got a better plan? He’s been gone for days and no one thought of a plan yet. If I can scare an army of dark clansmen, I can manage against a bunch of evil musicians.” I whip the horse even harder and it gallops at full speed, leaving Gun Tae behind.

            Hyung, stop it! Please! I huff in anger, but oblige. They won’t hurt him, hyung. They took Minho hyung away and retreated because they wanted to keep him alive. We can’t act reckless. For all we know, if we take him back, that may harm him more.  

            “Even if I have to transfer every bit of my internal energy to him, I’ll do it. Minho hyung is one of us. We can’t leave him like that.”

            Hyung, I think you need to calm down.

            “You know that telling someone to ‘calm down’ makes them do the exact opposite,” I scoff, clearly annoyed. “What do you plan on doing? Leave him with them?”

            Exactly that.

            “Excuse me?” I jump off the horse and face him.

            Hyung, it was the consensus. This entire time, we’ve been in the dark. Now that Minho hyung is with them, we might be able to get the upper hand. It’s for the greater good.

            “Greater good? We’re his friends…but we are going to abandon him for the bigger picture?”

            We don’t feel comfortable with this, but after discussing with the crown prince, we thought it was the best idea.

            “You’re just going to give up on him because some crown prince told us to?”

            Okay you’re making this sound terrible.

            “Well it definitely is.”

            Okay, let me rephrase this…Minho hyung was taken by the Peacekeepers to be saved. We do not know what they plan to do with Minho hyung, so if we have him stay with them, we might get to learn a thing or two. We won’t abandon him. We aren’t giving up on him. We will keep an eye on him while he’s there. Minho hyung is our friend, but he is also the prince. If he is able to help us defeat the Peacekeepers, we can reveal his identity and he might return to his original position. Don’t you want Minho hyung to be with his family again? I drop the horse whip in defeat. He’s right; I’m too emotional and acting reckless. Minho hyung has been struggling to hide his past and trying to live with the fact that he’s unwanted by the king. If we can earn his position back, that would be the best for him…if and when we go back to our true time period, Minho hyung will lose some of his great friends. If we help him earn his family back, then I’d feel much better about it. If the Peacekeepers took him back to be saved, then they won’t harm him. Although it hurts me, maybe the consensus of leaving Minho hyung with them as a spy is the best…Nonetheless, I’m still going to go visit him when no one is around to monitor me.

 

Minho’s POV~

 

            It hurts. Everything hurts. Even breathing is painful. I struggle to open my eyes and finally give up. I don’t have enough energy to wake up. “We need him to drink this medicine. It’ll help him heal faster.” I hear a familiar voice.

            “Come on, we can’t just leave him like this.” I hear another voice. I feel strong, warm hands lift my upright and I can feel myself leaning on someone for support. A spoon a placed on my lips and I can feel a warm bitter liquid slip in my mouth. I try my best to swallow and I hear the many voices urging me to drink more, happy that I can consume the medicine. I wince and choke like crazy as the medicine didn’t go down well. I feel multiple hands patting my back and chest, trying to help me calm down the coughing fit. After I finish the medicine, they lay me down on the bed and lay a cold towel on my head. I must be running a fever. I still can’t rest my eyes. Suddenly, a familiar tune is played on the Peacekeepers’ instruments, almost like they are an orchestra. I feel my head getting lighter and lighter and my injuries’ pain subsiding ever so slightly. A hard hand is placed on my head and a gentle “sleep” is said.

 

            I cannot tell how long I have been unconscious for. I would slip in and out of consciousness, but my eyes were still too weak to open. I remember getting fed medicine numerous times and my bandages around my body were replaced multiple times. I lost my sense of time. How many days has it been since the banquet? Did all my friends make it out alive? These burning questions are constantly appearing in my head, but I am too weak to even mutter a question aloud.

            I feel a warm ray of light shine on my face. I furrow my eyebrows at the disturbance and attempt to open my eyes. My heavy lids try to fight back, but I manage to get them to squint. I quickly shut my eyes again as the light causes them to throb. Ouch. I lift up my arm weakly and groan as I feel my injury getting agitated. I flicker my eyes open and sigh in relief as the sunlight is shielded by the back of my hand. “He’s awake!” I hear a Peacekeeper say. Eight Peacekeepers rush to my bedside and all greet my happily.

            “Be quiet!” One of them raises his hand. “We need to give him room.” The help me sit up and lean me against the wall. One of them check my vitals and told the group that I was stable.

            “We need to tell hyungnim. He’ll be pleased.”

            “I-I—” I wince as I try to utter a word.

            “It’s okay, you’re safe here. Just rest.” The Peacekeeper smiles at me and my hair. I widen my eyes as the gentleness contrasts their dark appearance. It almost reminds me of my childhood. I fight back my gratitude and try to stay calm.

            They are trying to use you Minho-ah, don’t forget. They used Taemin’s soul against you, they want you to betray the king and kill Jong Kook hyungnim. You can’t let this move you. They’re just saving you because they need you. I nod my head and they lay me back down. I close my eyes and hear the familiar “sleep” and drift into darkness.

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

            After spending a few days back, I got Kai to cover my night duty in secret. I acted normal the entire time and no one seemed to be weary of me. I leave the palace dressed in black with my face covered as well. I do not want Minho hyung to know I am back as Taemin, but I can’t dress as the White Masked Hero since my face isn’t scarred anymore and wearing white clothing is not ideal. I’m not trying to sneak in and get discovered because I’m wearing white clothes…Nonetheless, I need to keep this a secret since he already lost me once. I can’t come back in his life just to leave it in the future. I fasten my black face covering and reach the Lunar Shadow clan. They have been working together thus far, so they must be here. There’s no doubt.

           

Key’s POV~

 

            Tears are still streaming from Jonghyun hyung’s eyes as he lays on the bed in silence, wrapped up in countless medication and bandages. His eyes are red and full of remorse and his face is etched with guilt. His body is healing very slowly, to the point where he is still bedridden. The White Masked Hero offered to help him heal, but Jonghyun hyung simply shook his head in refusal. Onew hyung is keeping him company now, simply holding onto his hand and his hair with another. Onew hyung is always so gentle and kind to his dongsaengs. He is so dependable and moments like these are when I realize how out of character he was when he was upset with Taemin back in Heroes’ Rebellion. Wow, days with Taemin back in the clan were so long ago…who’d knew we would end up like this. We lost Minho like how we lost Taemin, but this time we can save Minho. We can’t let history repeat itself.

            After I made up my mind, I change into an all-black attire and cover my face up. I’ll save you, Minho-ah. I take out the sword I swore to never use again and head toward the Lunar Shadow clan. Minho must be there since the Peacekeepers must be hiding there for now. The path is treacherous and long, but I must make it there. After hours on horseback, I finally reach the entrance of the clan. I unmount my horse and tie it far away so it cannot get easily detected. I stop and turn over to see another horse nearby. Who else is here? I check my face covering once more and sneak in just to see a bunch of clansmen on the floor, unconscious. Well, this makes my job much easier…or did someone get to Minho before I did!? I follow the trail on unconscious clansmen and reach a room that used to be guarded by two people who are currently on the ground. No, am I late?!

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

            He isn’t here. I looked everywhere. I even held someone hostage and made them talk. The Peacekeepers do not reside in the Lunar Shadow clan and Minho hyung isn’t here. I came to the wrong place. I stand in the middle of the empty room in defeat and laugh at myself. I was an idiot. I should’ve thought this through. The people I knocked out are too lowly ranked to know any details about their whereabouts and I cannot possibly alarm the upper ranked people because that would signal an intruder which may force the Peacekeepers to take action if they’re alarmed. I don’t want them to hurt Minho hyung…what do I do?

            I quickly dodge a sword and flip backward, setting myself a good distance from the attacker. They were also dressed in black and their face was covered, but their fierce eyes resemble a great friend and warrior I know— Key hyung. If I can recognize him, would he be able to recognize me? He can’t know that I’m Taem— “White Masked Hero?” he asks quietly. Right, as the White Masked Hero, the only thing about my face he should be able to recognize are my eyes. He wouldn’t guess I’m Lee Taemin, hehe. I nod and we stand closer. “Are you here to save Minho too? Where is he?”

            “The Peacekeepers have their own hideout. We came here for nothing.”

            “Sh*t, I should’ve known. After all these years being a spy and warrior for His Majesty, I still wasn’t able to find the Peacekeeper’s liar. Those sneaky villains…”

            “What should we do now hyung, we didn’t just waste an entire trip, did we?”

            “No, now that we are here, might as well get some clues about them or the Lunar Shadow clan.”

            “Good idea, let’s change into the clothes of the clansmen I knocked out so we can freely walk around.”

            “Good thinking,” Key hyung smiles and we get into our disguise. “Let’s go before someone realizes that intruders came.”

 

Kai’s POV~

 

            “You can’t,” Baekhyun hyung grabs my hand to stop me from leaving. Taemin hyung must be worried sick about Minho hyung and I can’t sit around doing nothing. “Kai, listen to me. The Peacekeepers are trained monster puppeteers. If you go there, it’s no different than offering yourself to them.”

            “I just don’t know what to do!” I say and pull back my hand. I quickly hide them behind my back as the claws are slowly appearing out of control. “I just want to help them. When Taemin hyung and I met, I vowed to take care of him. This whole time, we haven’t progressed in fixing their fate and now that the battle is over, the chances of me being any help is even slimmer. My time is limited, Baekhyun hyung, I can’t just lay around and wait for things to mess up even further.”

            “Isn’t giving him half your bead enough?” he mutters. “You gave Taemin half your bead and now that you’re dying, who is around to help you? I can’t believe you forgave him for killing people you were close to and now you’re giving your all to help him.”

            “I don’t need them to do anything for me. Being of use, being around them…that’s enough for me. At first, I was outraged, but Taemin hyung was just trying to not die. I know that if they didn’t die, he would’ve been the one that died.”

            “You love him, don’t you? You are in love with Lee Taemin. He killed them, yet you still take his side.”

            “Yes, I love him, but not romantically or obsessively. I don’t need him to be a couple with me and I am not doing this to win his favor. Our bond is beyond any simple relationship and I love him to the point that no matter what he needs, I will give my all to help him fulfill his wishes. He’s not just a friend to me or a person I am pursuing romantically, he’s a brother to me and I will do anything for him. I know he would do the same for me.”

            “Well it just watching you hurt yourself left and right. You are dying, Kai, and you still only think of him. When will you think of yourself? What about your fate?”

            “He is my fate. As a monster, as a demon, even as a ghost, no matter what form I take, I will be there to protect him.”

            “Then at least let them help you. We don’t know how much longer you can last for.”

            “No, they are already burdened enough, it’s fine.”

            “No, it is not fine,” Baekhyun hyung turns and faces me, his eyes watering as he speaks. “If you don’t want to think for yourself, I will. You can’t bear to see your brothers in pain, but I can’t bear to see you suffer alone like this.”          

            “Baekhyun hyung—”

            “Kai,” he cuts me off as a tear slips onto his cheek, glistening under the candlelight. “Please, let me be here for you.” Baekhyun hyung reaches behind my back and takes hold of my wolf-like hands. He breaks into heavy crying and the tears continuously flow from his eyes. “Aside from Jimin and Taehyung, you are the only person that I have been close to. You helped me when I was bullied, you told me your story so I can write it down for you, and you heroically protect everyone no matter your position in their hearts. You are so special to me, Kai. I know you love your hyungs, but you are much too important for me to just watch you waste your life so selflessly. I know you are reckless because you don’t want your Taemin hyung to suffer, but trust me, you don’t always have to take action. Even if you don’t value your life, I do.”

            With his warm words, I can’t help but embrace him. I hold onto his slim frame, supporting him as he tries to fight his urge to cry. His body shakes as he sheds more and more tears. You’ve done it this time, Kai. I tell myself. You made Baekhyun hyung cry because you made him worry about your safety. How could you…I guess this entire time, I was never hesitant when helping out Taemin hyung. I simply had nothing to lose. No family, no lover, nothing to tie me down. Little did I know, Baekhyun hyung was silently watching over me, hoping that I would be safe. For the first time, I feel my heart aching at the sight of his tears. I don’t want Baekhyun hyung to be crying over me. I want him to be happy. He deserves much more than to worry about a dying wolf-monster like me…yet, it feels so good to have someone express their care for me. I put my hand behind his head and his hair. “I’m sorry,” I whisper to him. “Please don’t cry.”

 

Jonghyun’s POV~

 

            Just having Onew hyung around makes me feel much better. His gentle spirit is already enough to make me feel a little bit more hopeful. Besides, crying hours on hours won’t help Minho out. I need to heal. I need to recover quickly so I can help him out. Onew hyung sits me up as he feeds me my medicine. I have both flesh wounds and internal wounds, so I need to recuperate well. “Jonghyun-ah,” Onew hyung says as he continues to feed me. “Can you tell me what happened between you and Key?” He avoids looking straight at me so I don’t feel too pressured by his question. Onew hyung must be concerned since I have been acting strange…

            “Nothing happened,” I lie. I don’t want him to worry.

            “Really,” he asks and puts the now empty bowl down. “Then can you explain to me why Key stood outside for hours and refuses to see you face to face?”        

            “He’s been standing outside?” I can’t believe I wasn’t able to sense him outside. He must be so tired waiting like that. I try to get up but stop as the motion agitates my injuries.

            “Don’t worry, he left already,” Onew hyung reassures me. “So?”

            “I’ve been a bit cold to him,” I confess. “I just was too emotional, that’s all. Seeing you and Joon hyung happily together and even the White Masked Hero and Minho spending so much time together…I just felt that my relationship with him is so lacking…” My voice trails off as I shamefully tell Onew hyung how Key doesn’t love me like how I love him. I have been lying to myself this entire time, thinking Key feels the same way as I do. “I just felt so stupid. I thought he loved me, but I was just in my own world. I want to still be around him and protect him, but it frustrated me since I know I have been searching for his love for me this entire time…I’m so embarrassed.”

            “Jonghyunnie, you don’t have to be embarrassed. We each have our own lives and things will work out different for all of us. Comparing yourself to others will just cause you pain. Who says Key doesn’t love you? If anything, I think his love for you is so deep you can’t even deny it.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Key may be harsh with his words, but it’s just because he’s so honest. He likes joking around with you and he keeps a distance from you because he wants to protect you as much as you want to protect him. He’s the king’s spy, Jonghyun-ah. His job isn’t as simple as you think and if my thoughts aren’t wrong, I say he’s been suppressing his love for you.”

            “You’re just saying this to make me feel better,” I say. “I was unreasonable to be cold toward him.”

            “Aigoo, Jonghyunnie, I’m saying all this because as an outsider, I see things you two don’t see. I just don’t want you to be upset because you don’t think Key loves you. If anything, he probably doesn’t even know it yet.”

            “You think so?”

            “Would a person that doesn’t love you wait for hours outside just to monitor your condition? He knows that you’re upset so he didn’t want to bother you by showing up. Now isn’t that love?”

            “Onew hyung, you always know what to say,” I give him a weak smile, as my condition still makes it hard to be too enthusiastic. “After some time away from him during the battle, I was able to think it through. Even if he doesn’t love me, my love for him is true. I know I shouldn’t be ashamed of it or want anything in return. Seeing him safe and happy is enough for me.”

            “Now that’s the smart and loving dongsaeng I know.” Onew hyung smiles and pats my shoulder.

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

            Oh my gosh. Oh my goodness. We are gonna die!!! I scream internally as Key hyung and I dodge multiple splashes of poisonous liquid being squirted at us. I feel goosebumps run along my entire body as my hairs stand up at the sight of the ginormous hairy spider. I hate bugs. The black spider-monster shrieks as it attacks us. I regret this. I regret this so much. Moments ago, we noticed the path forking out and we followed it into this hidden cave. We thought this would lead us somewhere for us to eavesdrop, but we just ended up running into the spider’s den. God, help me, I continue to pray. Anything but bugs. I jump to the side, dodging the red needle-like web its spraying at us. Wait, red webs? I think back to the red clothing Madame Red is dressed in. Back then when I joined the clan as the White Masked Hero, I dueled with her and we gathered part of her sleeve to be examined. When you press on it or stretch it, the thread would prick you. It’s been such a long time, but we were never able to figure out what the thread was made out of…that’s because it isn’t thread, but this spider’s web. “Key hyung, remember the red cloth Madame Red wears and uses as her weapon?”

            “Yup,” Key hyung shouts back, jumping around. “What about it?”

            “The spider’s the one that makes it. The powerful cloth!” I summon my spear and quickly spin it, slashing the thread. I remember back then my spear was the only weapon that easily cut through it…and fire! I look at the entrance which is lit up by a few torches. The spider is attacking us, but it wouldn’t follow us toward the opening since there’s fire. “The spider’s afraid of fire,” I declare and make my way to the torches. I quickly swipe it around and the spider immediately backs away, squealing as it moves as far away from the torch as possible. I smile and toss Key hyung one as well to protect him.

            “Well, that wasn’t too bad,” Key hyung jokes. We both walk toward the spider and it quickly shoots a web to the ceiling, pulling itself high up so we cannot reach it. “Hey, look,” Key hyung points at the hundreds of armors, knit with the spider’s web. “The dark clans must be still preparing for battle. They’re making these outfits in hope that regular weapons won’t cut through their men too easily.”

            “Great, my weapon was the only one that was able to cut through it last time Madame Red came to the clan to stir trouble.”

            “Now why is that?” Key hyung asks. “I know it’s famous for being very powerful and sharp, but is it simply because of the material?”

            “I don’t think so…?” We stand in the cave in silence for a while, thinking. Then, it clicked. “It’s because my weapon is blessed,” I clap my hands once, proud of my realization. “Back then, before I even joined the clan, I slayed monsters with my master. After killing so many monsters, my spear was able to harness more spiritual energy and became blessed to the point where it can easily take down monsters. Back then, all of your weapons weren’t blessed since you didn’t kill monsters, so they weren’t spiritual weapons. Now, since we all killed enough monsters and our weapons harnessed enough power, they’re blessed and we are able to bless weapons, just like how Onew hyung makes his own arrows to kill monsters.”

            “That might be a possibility,” Key hyung nods and waves his metal fan on a red web, and immediately, the strand breaks. “Oh, wow you were right!” He smiles and fans himself. “This means we do stand a chance against them…and we must not let them find out.”

            “Agreed. We also need to find a way to make more blessed weapons for our soldiers then. The web is also highly flammable, so we can always attack with fire.”

            “Let’s kill the spider so they can no longer create any more gear,” Key hyung says as he aims the torch toward the spider.

            “Wait!” I put my hand on his arm and pull it back. “Hyung, if we kill it now, they’ll know that we were here. In my opinion, I think it is best for us to trick them into thinking that we had other plans. Maybe make a scene somewhere else to confuse them. We need them to think that everything is going according to their plans so we can surprise them later.”

            “Right, I was being too rash. Good thinking. Let’s go kick some a*s!”

 

 

 

~Comments are loved~