A Disaster after Another

Burning History

 

 

~Chapter 7~

A Disaster after Another

Taemin’s POV~

 

Okay, okay, I know. It’s not the nicest thing to do, but hey, he did it to me many times! And no, I will not call this spying…I’ll call this “observing secretly.” Just because I am against the whole secretly observing thing, doesn’t mean I can’t do it~ I mean, I have been stuck in my room for a while and haven’t even gotten to get to know Minho hyung and Key hyung. Well, getting on their nerves isn’t a good idea, but I had no choice! What am I going to do? What, make them like me and have the whole cycle repeat again? Yeah right!

I am not going to have Key hyung nor Minho hyung like me. If they end up liking me as a friend, I’ll get involved and then the SHINee Warriors will reform and—no no no no no. I seriously do not like that idea one bit. It’s already bad enough that Kai and I are in a team, not to mention the rest of the future SHINee Warriors possibly wanting to befriend me. I am also keeping my distance from my hyungs. Onew hyung hates me and Jonghyun hyung must be worrying more about how to get Key hyung’s attention. I really shouldn’t get in the way, but you know, sometimes, I just want to see them and talk to them. I want to say, “Hey, how are you? I miss you a lot.” or something like that…

I really hate acting unlike myself. It was already hard enough trying to get use to the ways of the past and now I have to try and feel better and still act unfriendly. I mean, this is all an act to just isolate myself and find a way to secretly protect everyone. Why in the world am I putting this on myself? Aish. And not to mention so many new people! Gun Tae I met by luck and this Nam Kyu fellow? Where did he come from anyway? I don’t think I recognize anyone like him in my past life as an angel/human and not even in my current life in my original time period.

“Yah, Lee Taemin, get down from there!” Damn, is it too late to run away? I look down at Jonghyun hyung and see the whole group looking at me with confusion. What? Is it really weird to see someone spying I mean observing secretly in broad daylight? “Why in the world are you up there?”

“I wanted some fresh air,” I lie and jump down from the roof clumsily. There’s no possible way of looking cool when jumping off a roof with your arm and leg chains swinging awkwardly. “What’s up?” I look at him, ignoring the cold atmosphere. There has to be something between this Nam Kyu guy and Minho hyung that I don’t know about.

“You could have done it another way! Climbing on the roof like that…It’s dangerous,” he sighs.

“What? After seeing people do it so many times, I thought that was how everyone here was like,” I say, mocking Key hyung and Minho hyung’s spying incident the other night. I bet they really hate me now and see me as a jerk. I cold-hearted, strict, and a trouble maker, I definitely never have been described like that before…

“Why haven’t you opened the door for us or come and visit? Have you been that sick lately? You always overworked yourself when we were training for the competition. You know it’s not healthy and we don’t like you doing that to your body,” Jonghyun hyung nags.

“Since when have you transformed into my appa? I get it hyung; don’t lecture me about my health.”

“I have every right to! Lee Taemin, you have always been the maknae of the group and always will be. I will always take care of you no matter what—”

“Enough,” I cut him off. “I think I haven’t fully recovered yet; my head hurts a bit. I’ll take my leave now. Thank you for lecturing me about your pointless care for me.” I bow and turn around.

“Lee Taemin, is that the way to talk to your hyung?” Onew hyung says. “He was only caring for you and you just—”

“Don’t get me started with you. If you want me to not get in your way then you have to start acting like I don’t exist. Don’t try to act all high and mighty just because Jonghyun hyung is here to witness this. Don’t make me rip off your mask.” His firm look slowly melts away into a face full of guilt. “Are we done talking now?” No one speaks up. “Have a nice day.” I bow and enter my room and slam the door shut. “What the hell just happened?” I ask myself.

 

Jonghyun POV~

 

“What was he talking about just now? Is your care for him all an act?” I ask hyung. “Taemin isn’t usually this rude and harsh with his words. What did you do to him?”

“Why does he always have to be the victim?” Onew hyung asks me slowly.

“W-what?”

“You remember what we saw on the day we were sent here, right? Do you remember what we have been saying? Lee Taemin is the one that will ruin everything and have Joon-“

“Stop that! Is this what everything’s about? Y-you’re blaming Taemin for your misfortune? How can you do something so cruel to him?” I look into Onew hyung’s eyes. They are no longer gentle and warm but blank and hateful. “I-I can’t believe this is really you. What happened to you?” I reach forward but Onew hyung slaps my hand away.

“I should go,” he says and runs off, leaving Key, Minho, Naeun, and I standing there.

“Dammit!” I yell and punch the wall harshly. My fist stings and protests any more violence, but I continue punching the wall until Minho holds my hand back.

“It’s not your fault. You didn’t know about any of this,” he says.

“Which is even a bigger reason for me to be angry! How can I be so clueless? This whole time I was so happy we finally reunited that I…” I sit down on the floor and burry my face into my folded arms. “I-I’m sorry. I know you just reunited with your sibling and I’m here ruining your mood.”

“It’s okay. Minho, mind taking Naeun with you somewhere? I want to talk to Jonghyun alone.” Key hyung says. Minho nods his head and walks off with his sister.

 

Minho’s POV~

 

“Do you think we should go comfort Taemin-ssi?” Naeun asks me.

“What could we say?” I ask her, not even looking at her face. I can’t bear looking at the scar on it—the scar that ruined our relationship and caused me to nearly lose my life.

“Distract him from what just happened? I think it’s better than digging into his wound. Let’s do that.”

“Since when have you become so mature?”

“I’m not. I just changed in the past eight years.”

“You are..?” Gun Tae looks at Naeun with suspicion. He just returned from his job so he must have not seen the scene earlier. “Eh hem,” she makes her voice a bit deeper, probably to try and imitate a man. “Hello there, who are you? I am Nam Kyu, a new clan member.”

“Park Gun Tae,” he replies. “What are you doing outside Taemin hyung’s room?”

“Shh!” She pulls Gun Tae away from the door and whispers. “Your hyung is not feeling happy so we wanted to go in and distract him.”

“That wouldn’t work! Taemin hyung doesn’t want to talk to this guy,” he points to me. “And he definitely doesn’t like meddling newcomers to bother him.” Gun Tae clicks his tongue.

“Then what would cheer him up?” Naeun’s voice fails to get any deeper.

“Moving,”

“What?” She tilts her head.

“You’ll see. Just sit here and wait for me.” He points to the resting table and chairs in the side and we go there and sit. He knocks on the door a few times, repeating a familiar beat. “Hyung, hyung, it’s me.”

“Coming,” I hear Taemin yell. The door swings open, revealing a puffy-eyed Lee Taemin. Why is still acting happy when he obviously isn’t? Does he have a habit of acting different than what he feels? “You need something?”

“Mm! Hyung, I was yelled at by one of the head heroes for lacking at cleaning the horse stalls today and I am really upset right now!” Gun Tae puts on a fake angry face. “Can you please entertain me a little and bring up my mood.”

“Anything for my dongsaeng,” Taemin smiles and ruffles Gun Tae’s hair. “Wait a second.” Taemin leaves for a bit into his room and later returns with the same item he always uses for music. He closes his door and Gun Tae sits down next to me, ready to see Taemin perform. Music starts playing from the device and I can see Naeun’s face reflecting her confusion. I bet she’s wondering how the device works and how the music is coming out of it. I remembered wondering too; luckily Jonghyun hyung explained it to me. I notice Gun Tae nodding to the beat and humming the song while Taemin performs.

“A-yo~ A-yo~” Gun Tae sings random words from the song. This is a very interesting song choice. Taemin is singing a song that is showing support for someone and bringing up their spirits…Is he only doing this only for Gun Tae or also for himself? Is he feeling lonely?

The songs ends and we all clap. “That was so cool, but I am so confused right now,” Naeun fails at making the male voice. I bet she’s too amazed to even care.

“Do you feel better now?” Taemin asks Gun Tae.

“Much better, how are you feeling?” Gun Tae asks.

“Better, I guess.” Taemin smiles and ruffles his dongsaeng’s hair. All of a sudden, I see Naeun draw her sword and cut it down. Suddenly, Taemin’s arm and leg chains are split in half. “Why did you—”

“I think the chains are preventing you from moving as fluid as you should. Do you feel more comfortable now?”

“You idiot!” Taemin yells.

“What? I’m doing you a favor and you yell at me? You’re so ungrateful—”

“Lee Taemin!” I hear a hero yell. The hero stomps over near Taemin and slaps him so hard he topples over onto the floor. “How dare you try to remove the chains Master gifted you?!”

“Gifted? Don’t you mean it was a punishment!?” Naeun yells.

“I’m sorry sir, this is just a misunderstanding,” I try to explain.

“I think the situation is obvious enough. You two grab him!” the hero commands. Two of the servants lift Taemin up by his arms and dragged him along, following the hero.

“What did you just do?” I bite my lip and run to look for Key hyung. He’ll know what to do.

 

Jonghyun’s POV~

 

“Mind if I sit here?” Key points to the spot next to me. I shake my head and he sits down. “Since you’re older than Taemin, you want to protect him, don’t you?” I nod. “You want Onew hyung to be happy and you want Taemin to be like he use to?” I nod again. “You’re blaming yourself, aren’t you?” I nod again. “Look, blaming yourself and moping around isn’t a solution. You wearing along face all day won’t make anyone’s life better and even worse it will make everyone start getting bothered by your negative aura as well. Look, I know being older is tough, but you have to be strong, mostly in times like this. I know we only knew each other for a month, but I think you can take my word, from an acquaintance to another. I am older than Minho so I know what it feels like to want your dongsaeng to be happy, but let’s face it, it’s not possible. It’s not your job to prevent things like that from happening, but your job is to comfort him and support him. Because in times like this when he feels lonely and wronged, you can’t prevent the situation from happening, but you can simply show him some love and support to cheer him up. Now, smile and stop looking so glum, you look better that way.” Key winks at me and ruffles my hair.

“Are you forgetting that I am older than you?” I smile and ruffle his hair back.

“Yah!” He whines and fixes his hair with his fingers. Cute. “Come on, don’t just sit here. If people pass by, they might think I’m bullying you,” Key says, smiling. I look at his soft smile, so warm, so caring, just like how it was in my past life...“Quit staring at me, it’s creepy. You know, don’t me wrong here, but I’ve been paying attention to you. You hair…”

“What about it?” I reach up and touch my hair.

“Oh damn, you punched that wall pretty hard, didn’t you?” Key reaches for my hand and analyzes it. “It’s bleeding, pabo,” Key shakes his head and leads me into his room. “Sit down,” he orders and points to the table in the center of his room.

“You’re room is the biggest one here,” I point out.

“Oh? I didn’t realize it,” he shrugs. “Here, have some tea while I bandage you up.” Key takes my hand gently and cleans it, bandaging it nicely.

“Thanks,” I say, holding back a smile. He’s so nice, isn’t he? He’s still my ideal type even back in our first life~ This is just awesome! Well…not really, since he’s so awesome and my ideal type but he’ll never like me since he’s a guy and…meh, life a lot right now. Not to mention the whole misunderstanding between Taemin and Onew hyung.

“What’s with the long face?” Key asks.

“I don’t like tea,” I lie. I mean, it’s not like I care, but I had to say something either than me being upset over my crush on him…It’s not my fault okay? The box and charm not only brought me back the memories of the past, but my feelings as well.

“I would get you good tea, but all it is in the palace. Normal people can’t possibly get it.”

“I see…”

“Hey, maybe one day I’ll get you some of my special tea combinations. I promise it’ll make you look at tea a different way. I promise.” He holds out his pinky. “Hey, lock it.” He furrows his eyebrows. He’s not serious is he? How old is he, still pinky promising..? Nonetheless, I hold out my pinky and hook it with his, and touch his thumb with mines, locking it. “Don’t underestimate a pinky swear. I keep them really well,” Key says with a cheeky grin.

“I won’t,” I smile.

“Hey, you’re smiling! That’s good. I hate you and your upset face, it makes you look like a puppy.”

“Puppies are cute!” I say.

“I know they are, but I’d rather have you happy. Since Minho respects you and keeps you close, I assumed that you are a friend as well.”

“I’m your friend?”

“Hey, feel honored,” Key laughs.

“I am!” I chuckle.

“Okay, now that your mood is up, let’s go practice fighting.”

“What?” I open my mouth in awe.

“Come on, it’s the best distraction! I do this when I get angry or feel stressed. It helps you release the tightness in your heart.” Key offers me his hand and I take it happily, following him outside.

“Key hyung!” Minho yells and runs in. I can tell it’s something urgent since his face cloth nearly flew up so high that his jawline was showing. “Naeun thought it would be a good idea to cut off Taemin’s chains and a hero caught Taemin with the broken chains. I think the hero thinks that Taemin wanted to go again the clan rules and may be punishing him.”

“What? I have to go save him!” I get up quickly.

“No,” Key grabs my hand to stop me. “Creating a scene isn’t going to help him out.”

“We have to do something though! I feel so bad. I didn’t mean to get him in trouble. I just wanted him to walk around freely and I’m just so sorry!” Naeun tears up as she lowers her head, showing how sorry she is. “I didn’t mean him any harm.”

“There’s no point apologizing when we didn’t even save Taemin yet,” Key says. “We need to find a way to have a hero with a higher rank help him, someone who favors Taemin.”

“I know who!” Gun Tae runs to us. “I think we can ask Jong Kook hyungnim. He’s the best hero here and he really likes how hardworking Taemin is. I think he will understand. Besides, he’s the Master’s brother; he has the most power after the main leader.”

“Alright, it’s settled. Gun Tae, you and Minho go find Jong Kook hyung to save Taemin while Jonghyun hyung and I try and stop the other hero from doing Taemin any harm,” Key orders.

“And what can I do?” Naeun asks.

“Stay out of the way,” Key says harshly. Minho and Gun Tae run off in the opposite direction while Key and I dash toward the punishment room, leaving Naeun crying, drowning in her guilt.

 

Taemin’s POV~

 

The hero keeps on kicking me and stomping on my body. I am currently on the ground, bleeding and in lots of pain. If I could I would beat this hero up and stop him from hurting me, but I can’t, since if I ever get out of this situation, I’ll be in bigger trouble. I knew that Nam Kyu guy was trouble. His first day and he already makes me get punished. He’s so annoying! And this damn hero! Who gave him permission to punish me? Shouldn’t the lead hero be interrogating me and not him!? “Tell me! Where were you trying to run off to?” he asks after pulling me up by my hair and screaming into my ear. He tosses me back down by slamming my head and grabs the punishment whip.

“Believe me, I remember how that whip feels, you don’t need to hit me with it for me to confess. I was not planning to do anything!” I scream. Now that I think about it, he was the same person that tortured me before they gave me the chains to walk around with. I seriously hate this guy.

“Do you think I’m dumb,” Yes. “I know how criminals talk,” Because you are one you abusive douchebag! “And I know they will never tell the truth until they bleed,” I am bleeding internally, thank you very much! “Therefore, I am not going to let you off that easily!” I scream as he lashes the whip onto my back. The wound just healed and the flesh in that area is not in the best condition and now he decides to reopen my wound! I serious hate this guy. He lashes again and asks me repeatedly where I was going and what I have planned. I yell a reply and again he whips onto my back harshly. He suddenly stops and I turn my head slightly and look at him, which takes a lot of effort. He opens a bottle and cackles.

“Hold on!” I hear Key hyung yell. I look over and see Jonghyun hyung shaking in front of the locked jail door with Key hyung next to him slamming on the lock. “You’re not allowed to punish someone who isn’t proven to be a real criminal!”

“He is one; don’t you see the broken chains?” The hero smirks and lashes on my back again. Again, I scream.

“Stop it, you’re hurting him!” Jonghyun hyung yells and slams multiple times and the door.

“Am I? I didn’t notice~” The hero whips onto my back mercilessly multiple times and steps onto my bleeding back and moves his shoe onto top of the wound to make it bleed even more. I bite my lip and try not to scream any louder and satisfy him.

“Jonghyun hyung, just l-leave! You can’t see me like this!” I yell as loud as I can between the painful lashes.

“Just stop it!” Jonghyun hyung tears up while slamming his body on the door, trying to break it down, but to no avail.

“Okay, I’ll stop,” the hero says and finally pours the liquid out of the bottle and onto my back. I scream as loud as I can and my body shakes in pain. What in the world did he pour on me? My flesh feels like it’s burning and the pain goes deep into my bones. Please, someone make the pain stop!

“What’s going on here!?” I hear Jong Kook hyung’s powerful voice echo in the punishment room. With one hand, he tears off the jail door and marches in. He grabs the hero by the collar and swings him, throwing him at a wall. The male collapses and stays there, shaking in both fear and pain. “Taemin,” Jong Kook hyung places his hand on my weak shoulder. “Hang on there; everything’s going to be okay.” Darkness.

 

Key’s POV~

 

“Whoa there buddy, don’t you pass out too!” I say as I catch Kai, who just fell down after giving Taemin power from his bead for a full night. Minho and I help him sit down as Gun Tae dresses Taemin.

“Hyung is fully healed now, thank you Kai hyung, you’re the best,” Gun Tae hugs Kai, who is too exhausted to even hug back.

“Come on hyung. I think it’s best if we leave Jonghyun alone with Taemin. Kai needs rest and we should go make a meal for Taemin so he can eat when he wakes up. Gun Tae, do us a favor and tell us when Taemin wakes up, okay?” Minho asks.

“Yes sir,” Gun Tae nods. Minho and I carry Kai out and place him on his bed in his room and leave.

“What are you planning to do with him?” I ask Minho after a few minutes of silence. “With Kai, I mean.”

“He’s a monster. You know I’m a monster hunter hyung. I—”

“He saved Taemin,” I cut him off.

“I know, but unless he acts more…human, I can’t ignore it. You know I can’t control myself,” Minho throws his hands up in annoyance. “One day, I might play that tune and—” I see Minho’s hand move toward the flute.

“Stop thinking about it, your hand’s moving on its own again,” I yell.

“Sorry,” Minho quickly pulls back his hand. “I just happens.” He looks at me helplessly. We continue walking toward the kitchen.

“So what did you want to make?” I ask Minho, so suggested for us to cook for Taemin.

“Porridge maybe,”

“Yah! Remember the time when I came and visited you when you were in the temple despite my cold? You didn’t even make porridge for me, you jerk,” I complain.

“Hey, I didn’t make you sick!” Minho pouts. He’s such a baby at times. “I feel bad okay?”

“For what?” I gather the ingredients and start washing it.

“It’s my fault he got hurt.”

“How,” What in the world is this kid thinking? “Naeun was the one acting up and cut his chains, not you.”

“My point exactly,”

“I’m her bodyguard. His Majesty told me to take care of her and keep her out of trouble. If anything, it’s more my fault than yours,” I explain.

“She’s not in the palace right now; she’s not your responsibility. She’s my sister so she’s my responsibility.” I simply shake my head and help Minho start the fire. There’s no point in arguing with him.

“I’m no one’s responsibility. I make my own choices and I have to take responsibility of my actions,” Naeun says as she steps into the kitchen, face wet with tears. I rush over to her and wipe her tears with a handkerchief.

“Why are you crying? Pabo-yah, you didn’t know that Taemin would have gotten hurt. It’s not fully your fault,” I try to console her.

“Now I finally understand what you must have felt when you injured me, oppa.” Minho freezes in his spot, but doesn’t turn and look at his crying sister. “You didn’t mean it, did you? When you played that tune, you didn’t mean to hurt me, did you? Right now, I am so frustrated with myself that the guilt is eating me up alive. Did you feel that way too oppa? I’m sorry appa didn’t give you a chance to explain yourself. I’m sorry I didn’t find a way to save you. I-I’ll go back to the palace and tell appa to let you come back right now—”

“Stop it,” Minho finally says. “Do you want to make things any worse than it already is? If you want Key hyung and me to die, then go tell your father about it.” I can sense the pain in Minho’s voice when he said ‘your father.’ It must kill him inside to not be able to return. He’s not mad at Naeun. He’s just so upset she doesn’t know the whole story…

“I’m not trying to hurt you—”

“Key hyung and I are busy right now. If you still have something important to tell me, then please write a note and leave it in my room.” With this, Naeun runs out of the kitchen, now fully sobbing. Before I could open my mouth, Minho speaks, “If His Majesty finds out about me being alive and that you were behind this, you wouldn’t be able to live. You lied to the king for so many years. No matter how much Naeun begs both you and I would have a death sentence.”

“Let’s finish making the food,” I say and try not to think about it. Can I avoid death?

 

“Finally, we’re done!” Minho wipes the sweat off of his forehead and stretch happy.

“You’re so dramatic,” I smile as he places the bowl of porridge we made for Taemin onto of the tray. “Come on; let’s see if he’s awake.” We both quickly walk toward Taemin’s room, silently hoping that Taemin would accept our apology and befriend us.

We hear a scream and a bunch of loud noises coming from Taemin’s room. I hear glass shatter and people yelling all at once. I exchange a worried glance at Minho and he places the tray on the table outside. We both rush into the room and dodge a flying pillow. The scene is very confusing. I see Onew hyung, Jonghyun hyung, and Gun Tae with their hands out, almost like they were trying to calm the person in front of them. Taemin is pale and sick-looking, but he is screaming and shouting, telling them to stay away from him. What happened when we were gone?

 

 

I know I am sooooooooo sorry! I haven't updated in a while~ Well, I hope this long chapter will make up for my lack of writing! Comments are loved <3