The Wheels are Turning

Burning History

 

 

~Chapter 49~

The Wheels are Turning

Onew’s POV~

 

            Ever since the battle, Joon has been very uneasy. I notice that a lot is in his mind and he seems to be too immersed in his own thoughts to even tell me. My instincts tell me it has to do with the king, but that is the most I can think of. We were played by the emperor like pieces on a chess board, each a disposable pawn that will help him rise higher and higher to power. Jong Kook hyungnim was working for the king this entire time and its hard to think that everything we’ve known could’ve been a lie or part of the king’s plan. We worked so hard trying to find ways to slay monsters and to keep the people safe, yet Jong Kook hyungnim was putting up an act this entire time and even used his powers to frame the Peacekeepers in front of the citizens. Joon and I wanted to help settle things, so we can go into early retirement and live a happy life with our friends, but I have a feeling that we will never be able to do that. Minho and the White Masked Hero are missing, and the king has given us many tasks, keeping us busy as ever. To think all of this only happened because the king wants to stay in power irks me. How can a person be so manipulative and selfish? How will this country end up if we leave him as the ruler…

 

Jonghyun’s POV~

 

            “How do you think the king knew Minho’s identity?” I ask Key. He shakes his head as he is also at loss. “You think Jong Kook hyungnim told him? He clearly saw Minho’s face and seen all of our interactions. He must’ve told him.”

            “Possibly…” Key agrees solemnly. Out of everyone, he must have been the most played by the king. He was sent to kill people and spy on clans, yet emperor sent him to Jong Kook hyungnim’s clan which he clearly knew was on his side. It clearly wasn’t for Key to test him. If anything, it seems to be more like it was for Jong Kook to test Key….

            “Say, how did you free Minho back then? I feel like the king always knows what’s happening around him. How were you able to save Minho on his watch?” Something clicks inside Key’s head and he drops the tea cup in his hand.

            “Do you think he had control over us even back then?” he gasps in distress.

            “Why, was saving him hard or something?”

            “No, it was too easy…” Key slams his hand on the table out of frustration and leans his head back. “I should’ve known better.”

            “Why, what’s wrong?”

            “Back then, I was eavesdropping and overheard that Minho was to be sentenced to death and my father was the one in charge of the task at the time. I was able to steal his key and sneak Minho out. This whole time I thought it was because I was the young master and the guards were too scared of my father to question me. But now that I think about it, it should’ve have been that easy.”

            “What are the odds that Taemin ended up in the clan and was sent to fetch us? He was nothing but a slave back then, they wouldn’t have trusted him with a task.”

            “Also, we knew Heroes’ Rebellion was recruiting us and if His Majesty knew I was with Minho…” Both of us finally figure out that the king knew everything that was happening and most likely contributed to the flow of events. The king sent Key to the clan knowing Minho would come too. Jong Kook had them train to slay monsters and that kept us occupied enough. He then used this chance to bring us into the palace knowing very well who we were. He finally used this trip and chose a populated area to get enough witnesses. He also chose a location near many monster dens so Jong Kook hyungnim can summon them quickly and used Minho to frame the Peacekeepers to wash his name clean.

            “He does realize that after he dies he’ll need someone to take over the throne, right? It’s not like he can live forever,” I shake my head in annoyance.

            “But, what if he can live forever?” Key’s expression has a hint of nervousness to it, almost like an idea just has been resolved, but he was too scared of the idea. “Remember what Baekhyun hyung said when he asked us to join him and Kai?” Literally right before we departed, Baekhyun hyung came up to us and asked for our help. He explained that Kai needs help gathering monster beads as they help him extend his life. We agreed, but none of the bead hunting happened because the battle broke out right before our planned break.

            “Yeah, what about it?”

            “The queen is a fox fairy, meaning her bead is very powerful. If she loves the king, wouldn’t she be able to share her bead with him? I mean if we think about it, Kai gave half his bead to Taemin back then. That means this is a possibility,” Key explains.

            “If he is like Kai and collects beads and harnesses their energy, he too can extend his lifespan. Stealing monster beads and using their energy as his own…I can definitely see that conniving jerk doing so. He knows he won’t be dead any time soon, so he must eliminate all threats!”        

            “I can’t believe I have been serving such a terrible person…” Key says with self-loathing.

            “Hey, this is a serious question,” I say. “Do you think he will kill us too? I’ve seen in many shows how the king kills off his subjects when he sees them grow more powerful or are no longer of use to him. I’m afraid that if we don’t leave now, we will end up dead.”

            “Where would we go? He has connections in the palace and outside in the martial realm. As long as we are recognizable, he will find us.”

            “I world is huge. We can go far away from his territory. To China, to Japan, to Europe, to America! I’m sure we can go somewhere.”

            “Wait, where?”

            “Gah, doesn’t matter. All that matters is that we need to find a way to escape, quick.”

            “What about our friends?”

            “Bring them with us!” I shout.

            “And leave the country to such a ruler?” Key asks. I hesitate, not sure how to respond. Key buries his face into his palms and groans in frustration. “We can’t be selfish like this.”

            “Then we need to stop him. If we can’t run from our problems, then we have to face it. I just don’t know how powerful he is. We clearly can’t sense where his bead is and he hasn’t fought once so we don’t know how skilled he is. Also, if he dies, someone has to be king.”

            “Taehyung is the crown prince,” Key says.

            “Yeah, and have you seen how weak he is? I feel like if he gets the throne, he’ll just break.”

            “Taehyung is a great fighter and very intelligent. He will be a fine ruler if given a chance.”

            “So, what’s going to happen? Let’s say we manage to get rid of the emperor, then we let Taehyung be king? He clearly isn’t ready and if we just do it recklessly, it’s going to end badly.”

            “Do we have another choice? If we put anyone else on the throne, the citizens will go berserk. You saw how biased they were. They love the emperor and if we kill him, we won’t escape our death sentences. Even if what we do puts Taehyung on the throne faster, killing the someone is a crime, not to mention the king of the country.” 

            “We can’t run, we can’t kill him, then what can we do?” I ask in defeat.

            “We can’t give him a reason to kill us off. Simple as that. Another day we can survive is another day we can use to plan. There has to be a way around this.”

 

Taehyung’s POV~

 

            I pet the White Masked Hero’s wolf as it lays atop my leg, almost comforting it. Ever since the White Masked Hero and Minho hyung went missing, the wolf has always been around me, like how the White Masked Hero used to be. Seeing how relaxed it is, I’m sure the White Masked Hero made it out safe. Back then, it took me a while to crawl over to the edge to try to extend my hand to pull them up, but when I looked down, I saw a tail of a dragon flicker away. Since their bodies weren’t found and the wolf isn’t in despair, I know that they are alive. I lied about their deaths because I wanted to use that change to let Minho hyung move on. It was either that or he kill himself, and either way it would not benefit anyone but the emperor. This entire time I knew he was wicked. I also knew that he had eyes everywhere, which was why I didn’t dare to say anything. He gifted me Minho hyung and his friends to test me after all. Why else would he send Minho hyung here? All of this was a big test and in the end, I’m sure we all failed.   

            It takes a lot for me to trust someone, but right when I thought I could trust the White Masked Hero, he left me along with Minho hyung. He is high spirited and a very intelligent and skilled fighter. I was hoping that he could help me get out of this mess, but he left before anything could happen. Just my luck, am I right? “At least you are here with me,” I say to the wolf who rubs its snout onto my fingers. I love dogs, but they all died for unknown reasons when I had them as a kid. I guess the palace is not an easy place for a pet. But this wolf, he seems strong enough to survive here. Wolf? Dog? I mean, close enough? Sometimes I look at it and its eyes glow and its mouth moves, almost like it is trying to talk to me. It is the White Masked Hero’s companion after all. Maybe he does know how to talk.

He has fought numerous battles and been around great warriors. If anything, this wolf is worthier to be king than me. After the banquet, His Majesty gifted me a key and told me that it is the way to his throne. I never questioned it, but now I wonder what this key actually opens. He clearly doesn’t want anyone to be king and he is using me as a scape goat. That’s also the reason why he needs so many people to protect me since he knows that I can die at any moment. Honestly, if it wasn’t for Taemin hyung coming to my rescue, I would’ve been dead.

            I wonder how Taemin hyung is doing. Ever since he saved me at the banquet, I haven’t seen him. Jimin and I do not talk much anymore because he seems to always be hiding something from me, so its not like I can ask for updates. Taemin hyung resembled the White Masked Hero a lot. They have the same master after all. Taemin hyung seemed more carefree and wittier if I’m not mistaken. Although I only interacted with him for a sort while, I appreciated his company. No wonder why Minho hyung was so obsessed over him. I heard many rumors on how the White Masked Hero took care of him, but he would only miss Taemin hyung. I wonder how it feels like having someone to miss. I guess I miss the White Masked Hero and Minho hyung, but to have my life controlled by the emptiness they leave behind? I never felt that way. I look down at the wolf who has fallen asleep unknowingly. I guess I will miss him when he’s gone. He’ll leave me one day, won’t he? No one ever stays. They never do.

 

Jimin’s POV~

 

            The White Masked Hero and Minho hyung have been missing for over half a year. The soldiers were sent to the bottom of the cliff to retrieve their bodies, but nothing was found besides a bunch of monsters that were pushed off the cliff during the battle. Some theorized that the two were eaten after they’ve fallen to their deaths while others claim that they miraculously escaped and went into hiding. Nonetheless, we had no leads. The heroes all were mourning but had to help the emperor settle things with the Peacekeepers and the dark clans, keeping them too busy to search on their own. With the Peacekeepers in hiding and the dark clans suppressed, it’s safe to say the royal family has won the war and the country is at peace.

            It took a long time for Taehyung’s leg to heal from the monster’s attack which broke his leg. He refused to let anyone heal him. I take it as the survivor’s guilt as he saw both the White Masked Hero and Minho fall down the cliff. But, something to me seems off about him, almost like he was hiding something. I fight the urge to call for Taemin hyung, as I know that the letter he sent me said that he will be away for a while with his master. I feel that he would want to know Minho hyung and the White Masked Hero’s status, but I also can’t bring the heart to tell him. All I wish is that we can find them before Taemin hyung returns.

            The king summons me to his quarters and I quickly head over without delay. It’s odd that he would summon me alone. He and I rarely speak, and I am Taehyung’s personal guard after all. I greet him respectfully and he responds with a calm smile. “You have been doing a great job protecting Taehyung,” he starts. “The Crown Prince is in good hands.”

            “It is my duty to serve him. I was also at fault for not being there to protect him from the monster.”

            “I called you here not to punish you if that’s what you’re thinking,” he says nonchalantly. “I actually came here to give you a once in a lifetime opportunity— a gift from me to you.” 

            “Your humble servant does not deserve it.”

            “But the thing is, this is something you simply cannot turn down.”

 

 

~Comments are loved~

If you haven't noticed by now, I try to update once every week more or less (may be off by a few days depending on my schedule). If you don't know when to log on to see an update, wait about a week and I'll update then or a few days after (just know that it shouldn't be longer than 2 weeks for a chapter to release)!