CHAPTER TWO

Broken Chords

CHAPTER TWO

 

Byul has been badly disturbed by Jonghyun for the past two weeks.

 

"It's like... He's having a mad crush on me." Byul took a sip on her honey lemon tea, her favourite drink on the menu. Sour and sweet at the same time, she thought it was meant to describe romantic love stories -- difficult, but ends up in perfection.

 

"He's literally your sasaeng fan, miss," Jin-ah, sitting opposite the stressed-out girl pointed her opinions. "Just look at the way he bugs you everyday!"

 

"I guess he should know who I am," said Byul, in a frustrated tone. "I won't go for any boys except for that boy."

 

"Ooh... You mean the boy you met at the competition and gave you that cute music box?" Jin-ah knew the music box and she squealed for that romantic -yet unknown- boy that her best friend loves to talk about every day.

 

~flashback~

 

"For you, Byul-sshi."

 

The boy gave the girl a small box. As the girl receives the present, she didn't hesitate to open it. Inside, she saw a pink merry-go-round in the box, with a winder a the bottom of the figure.

 

"A music box? I love this so much!" She giggled as she winded the music box and gasped as she hears a familiar tune.

 

"The Merry-Go-Round of Life! How did you get this?"

 

"Umm... Somewhere here. It's really fragile, be careful." He stood beside her as both listened to the beautiful dance music together.

 

"When I come back to Korea ten years later, I want to have a duet with you. Deal?" He stuck out his last finger and gestured to the girl. Once in tears, the girl stopped crying and did the same. They hooked their fingers tightly together.

 

"Deal."

X X X X X X X X X X

 

"Sigh, I wonder where he is now," Byul chanted as she gazed at the working music box on her desk, giggling at how the horses on the merry-go-round moved around the figure. It was, truly, a nicely made product. Although it was a shorter version of the original music, Byul thought it was perfect enough.

 

"Well, what do you know," Jin-ah crawled up to her bed and looked down at her friend, "Perhaps if you stop thinking about him, he'll just automatically appear right in front of you."

 

"Well, Miss Jinny, I suppose you should stop reading absurd stories that give you these kind of thoughts." Byul yawned as she walked back to her bed.

 

"Well then, Miss Byul, I suppose you should stop watching absurd dramas and musicals that give you these kind of thoughts, too."

 

"Just shut up and sleep, already." Byul shushed her friend as she turned off the lights, setting both girls to their own dream worlds.

 

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

 

"Please, Key," Jonghyun tugged on his cousin's arm as the other grunted.

 

"I've told you, being in the same class as Jin-ah doesn't mean that she can help! Plus, since you're Byul's desk mate, you should know her better!"

 

"Key," Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "Being her desk mate doesn't mean that I'll be able to pry her secrets."

 

"One, you've got the point of classmates; two, I don't think you know love." Key rolled his eyes as well and continued walking, ignoring his cousin. "Me neither, so let's just end our topic for the day."

 

“But–“

 

"Hi Jonghyun! Hey Key!" Jin-ah tapped the two boys' shoulders from behind. "What are you guys talking about, oppa?"

 

"Oh, hi Jin-ah!" Key's eyes lit up as he sees the girl in his dreams. For the past three years, he has been Jin-ah's classmate and has developed feelings for her since the day she starred in the school's first musical. Though, no-one knows about it.

 

“Look what I've found,” Jin-ah took out her phone and showed the two boys a post on the school’s official blog.

 

“What? Why at this time of the year?! ” Key’s eyes widen as he sees the post. The audition for the year’s been early this time round, and it’s clashing with the school's term exams.

 

“I know, right?” Jin-ah nodded in agreement. “I asked Mr Park just now, he said some other organization needs the hall in December, so they’re holding the concert earlier this year.”

“Why don’t they just… cancel it?” the puzzled newbie asked.

 

“There’re a LOT of school traditions here, Jong,” Key explained to his cousin. “the annual concert is one of the many.”

 

Jonghyun nodded his head as an idea pops out of Jin-ah and Key’s head. Coincidentally, both asked the boy in the same time. “Say, why not you join in?”

 

“Me? NO! I’m not good in music, at all,” Jonghyun shook his head furiously and rejected. Key rolled his eyes and cleared his throat.

 

“I don’t think Kim Jong-il’s son who can compose,” wrapping his arm around his cousin’s shoulder, key continued, “is considered ‘not talented in music’. Come on, registration fee doesn’t cost more than a cup of tea, you can afford it. Besides, I’m sure you’re going to nail it. Just get your vocals on, hyung!”

 

"Yeah, oppa! I'm sure you'll rock the stage if you enter," Jin-Ah added in agreement. "Look! I forgot to tell you, if you win one of the categories, you'll be able to hold a chance to participate in the school's year-end concert! Another tradition in our school, You've got to go, at the same time you could promote your father's association too!"

 

"Well... It's not that it needs anymore promoting..."

 

"Just go, bro," Key tapped his cousin's shoulder." For everyone's sake. Haven't your all-time dream be getting the society's acknowledge? It doesn't have to be in the medical industry, right? You'll gain popularity much faster if you take the artistic path. Hey, I thought you made this song... What's the name again... Ugh! Whatever it's name is, just participate!"

 

"You guys... Really think I should participate?" Jonghyun stared at the phone screen and hesitated before deciding.

 

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

 

"No way. Not this year, Jinny."

 

"Why? You've procrastinated for so many years!" Jin-Ah cupped Byul's face and stared at her, shouting at the startled girl. "I don't care, this school needs to hear your talent!"

 

"I don't want to, Jin." Byul sighed as she walks to her table and stares at the pink music box again. "I just don't feel like it. "

 

"Girl, " Jin-ah walked to her friend and continued in a calm tone. "Everyone here knows you're still waiting for your Romeo to show up in front of your eyes one more time. Think of it this way: Perhaps he's studying in this school like you are now, he should be participating as well! If the competition's going like how it did last year, the two of you are going to be in the same waiting room. Maybe he'll pull out a small chat with you and... Umm, you guys could... You know, romantic re-unite, I call this?"

 

Byul laughed at her friend's gummy-smile-plus-a-little-bit-of-derp face. "Okay. But promise me we go on for a duet for this?" a pinky finger gestured a hook, as it warpped around another.

 

"Of course we will."

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

"All done?"

 

"Done!"

 

"Great, we'll see what my cousin has to do with your sis'..."

 

 

~previous text messages~

 

Jin-ah laughed at her roommate's sleeping posture as she opened the door. A text alert rang from the girl's phone. She picked it up, and it seems like her Almighty Classmate - Key has something to discuss with her.

 

 

Yo Jinny, you still there?

 

Spill. I need to bathe.

 

Well, my bro... Umm, you're
close to Byul, aren't you?

 

Since 1995? Of course.

 

Okay... I'm sure you know
about... Howl's Moving Castle?


Hello? You still there??

 

What do you want from
my friend?

 

I'm just asking. So you know
about it?

 

Answer my question,
then I'll answer yours.

 

I asked first.

 

It doesn't matter.

 

Urgh, fine. You see, my bro
is the boy that Byul met.
Now he 
wants Byul to
understand the 
truth, in which
he asked for 
my help. Or in a
much more 
specific yet
sarcastic words, 
he bugged me.

 

You don't know how he
bugged my sis as well.
How do I make sure that

you're not lying?

 

I'll swear, if you want.

 

No thanks. I believe you.
So what should I do?

 

Easy. Remember how they ask
all contestants to stay in the
same waiting room?

 

You mean... Get her to
participate?

 

Duh. How else do you think
will make her enter the waiting
room?

 

You know it's nearly
impossible that she'll
participate.

 

One, nothing's impossible. Two,
you said NEARLY impossible. I
don't care if it's just a 0.001%
chance, if he stops bugging me,
he'll eventually stop bugging
your friend too. Win-win
situation here. Deal?

Fine. I'll see what I can do.


OH MY GAWD SORRY FOR THE SUPER LATE UPDATE GUYS OnO

 

I couldn't find my pen drive and it has all the drafts in it (but I've found it already ^_^)

 

Hope you guys liked this chapter... I know it's a bit draggy... hehe XP

 

See you guys again in a month!