CHAPTER EIGHT

Broken Chords

The small room was filled with the two friends' laughter from a story that happened during rehearsal.

"And then he ran out of the hall," Byul choked while trying to end the story. "took us two more full rehearsals for him to get back to his senses and return to the hall."

"That's mean of you guys!" Jonghyun laughed it off. "Imagine if your violin wax turned out to be soap. Ten dollars that you'll either cry and run away or you pull the hair out of the culprit."
"Well, it's hardly going to ever happen, so I'll bet twenty on that."

"European dollars?" Jonghyun asked in a serious tone.

"Korean won." Byul answered in the same tone, laughing when Jonghyun realizes the joke and swung his hand to try and slap her.

The noise descended as Jonghyun took a sip of latte from his straw before he asked the girl.
"By the way... Have you guys found a substitute for me yet?"

"...Huh?" Byul's smile faded.

"The ensemble can't go on without a pianist, have you guys found anyone?"

"Oh... Yeah, um, you know..." Byul stuttered as she tried to find a well-known pianinst in school to cover the lie. Jonghyun would be disappointed if nobody volunteered to substitute him, and he will also be worried if the substitute found is not well-known enough, that might risk the overall presentation.

"Have you guys... Not?"

"Of course we had... Kim Ryeowook, you know him, right? He's the runner-up of the competition I won from your father's association. Really good, isn't he?"

"Yeah, he answered?" Jonghyun smiled.

"Couldn't even believe he did!" Byul tried to act as excited as she can, raising her tone and clapping her hands.

"I can't believe the both of you, either." The door slammed open and revealed a furious girl. Both's faces darkened as they heard the voice. Byul turned her head, facing the girl at the door.

"Jin... I can ex-"

"I don't need it. Just get out." Jin-Ah walked closer to the two and pointed at the door. "Now!"

Byul slowly stood up and walked pass the girl who kicked her out of the dorm room and heard a slam. She looked back at the locked door as curiosity filled her mind. Se leaned closer and stuck her ear close to the door, attempting to hear the conversation between the two.

"You shouldn't have treated Byul like that."

"She came in without me knowing! How am I supposed to know what you both are doing?"

"Whatever we were doing, I swear it's not anything that harms our relationship, okay?" Byul's heart felt as if it sunk.

"Fine... By the way, guess what?" Jin-Ah's frown immediately switched to a smile. "I've found a cure for your eyes!"

"Really?" Jonghyun's voice was instantly filled with excitement upon hearing such news. 

"Some relative of mine recommended me this surgeon, said he's got years of experience and that he hardly ever failed."

"Wow! But he couldn't be too far, can he?"

"He is, actually, all the way to Germany..."

"Oh... Really?"

"Yeah, so I'm actually thinking of the two of us shifting there once we graduate and have your eyes cured there. And also to free ourselves from distractions."

"Wait, shift?"

"Yup, we'll live there for the rest of our lives in Germany, hadn't you say you loved the greens there?"

"Yeah, I did..."

Byul could not resist listening to the conversation anymore, especially when she heard Jin-Ah say things about "freeing themselves from distractions". Was it mentioned for her ears? Was she the "distraction"?

X X X X X X X X X X

"I can't find the sheets anywhere... I think Henry took them or something..." Kibum searched through his file for the piano sheets for "Last Carnival". Byul volunteered to replace Jonghyun for his performance ("Yes, finally we needn't bother look for subs anymore!" exclaimed Kibum).

"No, I didn't," Henry entered the practice room and denied. "I hadn't seen them since the last time we practiced before Jonghyun got caught in that accident."

"Then Jonghyun must hae taken it. Byul, why don't you go fetch it?"

"I'm afraid Jonghyun wouldn't want to be concerned in this problem anymore," Jin-Ah budged in the conversation, dangling the clipped sheets with her right hand. "He gave it to me in advance because he remembered 'Ryeowook' hadn't got his copy."

"That'll help, Jin. Thanks." Kibum thanked cooly and took the papers. Byul told him what happened and he was utterly disappointed in the girl's actions. "Now, if you'd please leave now, this performance can't tolerate distractions."

"Alright," Jin-Ah turned back before looking at Byul again. "Oh, Jonghyun wants me to tell you he needn't you visit him again."

The three students stared at the girl march out of the room when Henry broke the pregnant silence.

"Look, I don't know what happened between you guys, but the girl is kind of y."

"Hypocrites are everywhere, Byul. Doesn't matter how long have you been attached to them," Kibum patted Byul's shoulder and handed her the sheets. "Jonghyun understands your situation."

"I hope he does..." Byul muttered to herself before Kibum cued them to their first official practice.


Apart from the crappiness of this story (honestly my expectations for it has dropped...), I've finally updated on the first day of the month!

I had this dental surgery last Friday where I got five stitches on my gums (Because I had to extract a tooth that hasn't popped out of my gums yet) and I had a half swollen face for the past days and I've finally removed the thread this morning! Yay!

Now I just have to adjust my smiles and laughs back in place since I was smiling sideways the past week. Nevertheless...

I'M ALSO ADDICTED TO INFINITE! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY

CHEERS FOR SUNGYEOL AND MYUNGYEOL IS REAL :D

See you next month!