CHAPTER FIVE

Broken Chords

"Henry said he couldn't meet up anytime else, so I guess some midnight coffee shall do," Kibum smiled as he patted the boy next to him, turning a smile upon the boy's face. "After all, you said your inspirations don't show up until before dawn."

Jonghyun eyed on him. Hazel hair, chubby face, and the -in Jonghyun's eyes- rather mis-fitting cheeky smile, he doubted Henry's skills.

"Are you sure this Henry knows music?"

"Hell yes! I knew him from a Canadian mate, silver medal in RCM for level 10 violin, dude, he's more than what you needed!"

Jonghyun lifted his left eyebrow, still despising the teen until Kibum took out his cellphone and played a video of Henry's performances, leaving his jaw hanging in the air while the third boy is still sitting on the chair, figuring out more chords on his violin while holding it like a guitar. And yes, Henry plays his violin like a guitar, and that is one of his acknowledged charm. 

While Henry continues playing and unknowingly attracts attention from people around, Kibum and Jonghyun's eyes are still fixed on the videos. This time, Jonghyun has finally gained consideration whether to let Henry join his team or not. He might not look like a true musician, but his stunning talents have taught the teen a lesson to not judge books by their covers.

"Umm... Guys?" Henry waved his hand across the screen, bringing the boys back to reality. "I got to go, not really sure if this crowd is going to subside anytime... So I gotta flee!"

Watching the boy run out of the coffee shop with his bow in his left hand and the violin on the other, it seemed like Jonghyun's expectation's on the young musician dropped again. Looking back to his cousin, he questioned about the boy once again. "You sure this flower boy won't bring any trouble to my performance? After all, it's bound to be a finale.

"I'm five hundred percent confident with his skills, bro. You just witnessed it too." Kibum took a sip of his caramel Macchiato before he concluded and switched to a distant topic.

"Anyway, the performance's yours whereas I'm a mere member who can't stop what the leader has in mind. Just want to tell you, Henry's always ready to join the great heir of Harmony. Say..."

"Say what?"

"You do realise... Someone who's been liking you for a long time, don't you?"

Jonghyun who was stirring his hot chocolate stopped his hand movements, stayed still for a few moments before he continued with his drink. "No. And I'm not, in fact, won't, be interested in anyone who don't bear the name of Seo Byul."

"Not even the bestie of Seo Byul?" Kibum confirmed, leaving his cousin stalling once again. The latter let out soft chuckles before he continued. "Jin-Ah's been bugging me on you, just like how you did to Byul just to let her open her heart for you."

Jonghyun remained silent as the other boy patted his shoulder, the smile still hung tight above his cheek.

"Jinny isn't someone to mess emotions with," Kibum pulled out his chair, sliding his phone back into his pocket. "She hasn't make a move, but promise me, if you truly don't admire her, at least make your rejection less painful for the girl."

As Kibum exited the building, Jonghyun remained seated at the same spot, his left hand still constantly stirring his turning-cold drink. He chugged his drink like people have one-shots with their beer and scurried back home. 

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

Next day

"What's up, oppa?" Jin-Ah greeted the boy with a cheerful smile. As sunny as ever, thought Jonghyun. He cleared his throat before he asked in a serious tone.

"Heard that someone's been admiring me."

"W-what?" The smile on Jin-Ah's face slowly faded. She knows – Jonghyun will almost never share any of his secrets or gossips with anyone other than his cousin, or, perhaps, Byul. She laughed awkwardly. "Huh, pretty normal, I guess... I mean, look at you, who are you? You're the heir of–"
Jin-Ah stop as she felt a strong grip on her wrist. Unease surrounded her, as she was rather conscious that they were in open space, in the school's lawn, where anyone passing by can see what's going on.

"Umm... Jonghyun..."

"Could you be one of them?" Jonghyun looked into her eyes, running shocks down her spine. His face slowly approached the other's shortening the distance between both's eyes, where the male finally stopped when their noses brushed against the other's. "Hmm?"

Jin-Ah stalled. She never expected Jonghyun to be such daring in public, nor did she plan on how to answer the boy as she silently wondered how he knew about her crush. Before she could say anything, Jonghyun smiled as he planted his lips on hers for a few seconds before letting go.

"Sorry that I forgot to mention, I take silences as a 'yes'."

Jonghyun chuckled softly at the girl's expression, which apparently, was far too difficult to describe (Well, even if it really was, it will still be a tough thing to picture her face). He let go of the grip on her wrist as he marched away with a satisfied smile, leaving the girl as she is on the grass.

Jin-Ah's right hand crept up to her lips as she fiddled with her fingers.

 


Her first kiss.

 

 

 


Really sorry for the 28-day late update! I was stuck in a really dissappointing exam (I FAILED HISTORY OAO CAN'T AFFORD TO BE THE ONLY ONE IN CLASS)

So I guess you guys could... bear with me for a bit?

I considered a double update on June (which is just a few days later), but I had other stuff to hurry before Saturday, and since Joan's been asking me for it, and also because I promised myself and everyone, no procrastination.

So I updated on the very first day of holiday (YAY) and sort of... clung onto my promise, I guess? XD

About the performance videos I mentioned above? Just search Henry Lau violin and you get millions of them. Though the main reason I didn't link them is because I'm near to breaking my curfew and I don't want to get grounded from Internet for a week because of that.

 

And also because author-nim is lazy XD

 

ENJOY THE UPDATE! Slight twisty angst coming in your way!