CHAPTER FOUR

Broken Chords

She took a deep breath as she sat on the bench, an ivory white grand piano facing her. Gently placing her fingers on the keyboard after she figured the starting keys, Byul stabilized herself. This concert will be the first and last time she'd play on stage, she thought.

The fingers dancing on the flight of keys, performing a stunning melody though it was years back the last time she played this song. Byul smiled to herself. An Early Romantic-period music, uniting the Classics' simplicity and the Romantics' dynamics into one, she truly loved this song — in fact, she loved Chopin the most out of all composers, claiming that his music was never as stale as any Adagio[1]-named pieces she'd ever heard; or too drastic like Beethoven right after he lost his hearing; nor too romantic like Tchaikovsky. She had a rather different taste, you see, considering she shows ultimate disgust towards Tchaikovsky and Shakespeare's plays and musicals. Too greasy, she says.

 

"Bravissimo, " loud claps and a praising exclamation welcomed the song to an end. Byul groaned. She recgonizes that person's voice.

 

"I never knew you could play this majestic La Campanella, huh? One of the biggest pieces of Chopin, the rhythm that symbolizes the familiarized ticks of a old Grandfather's Clock and yet, " Jonghyun stepped closer to the stage as he spoke, finally landing his feet right next to the girl's. "brought a sickening beat to a higher level, a masterpiece."

 

"Just shut up with the nonsense and tell me what you want." Byul said as she looked up at the boy, starting to send shivers down his spine. "I've got some coffee-brewing to do."

 

"Nothing, just a small, yet big request."

 

"Size doesn't matter, time does." Byul spoke as she did some minor finger drills on the piano, her vision turned back down on the keys.

 

"Care to join my trio?" The question stopped the notes as Byul froze. Jonghyun smiled as he sat down and laid his sheets neatly on the sheet board. "It's just a drabble I did since I started composing, then Park ssaem[2] saw it and—"

 

"No."

Jonghyun stopped the babble as he heard the rejection. He sat beside her and laid his hand on the keys.

 

"Hey, don't decide that fast, it's not that bad, I can—"

 

"No."

 

"But—"

 

"No, no, NO!" Byul slammed her hand on the keys, creating a loud and harsh dissonance. "For ing God's sake, I'm not interested in you, not interested in your stupid invitations, including this crap score, I wasn't even thinking of joining this stupid competition, not even playing on the stage anymore, it was Jin that asked me to accompany her! I'm doing all of this out of reluctancy, and you're bugging me for yet another trouble?" Byul furiously grabbed the papers on the board crumpled them, throwing them on the stunned male.

 

"Get, out, of, my life." Byul said between her gritting teeth as she stomped her way out of the auditorium, leaving Jonghyun behind.

 

The male did not know what to do after seeing the girl rage. He never expected the girl of his dreams to rage in front of him, such an elegant girl also having times where they cuss out of furiosity. Moments later, he returned back to his senses, leaning downwards and grabbed the crumpled sheets and slowly opened them out. The notes seemed crooked because of the creases, but the score is still readable. Jonghyun stared at the papers for a while before he let out bitter laughs and a teardrop, walking to the exit in the pace to Adagio, Byul's most hated pieces.


[1]Adagio
-Tempo marking: at a moderate pace

[2]ssaem
Informal address for seonsaengnim, teacher


I know this is the crappiest update ever, School reopened and yesterday was a weekday so I couldn't write, and this came out :P

Hope you guys understand ^^