CHAPTER ONE

Broken Chords
XSYKOTICA
CHAPTER TWO
"You're the son of Kim Jong-il? That's pretty impressive," his new class teacher took a brief look at his documents. She turned her chair and looked into his eyes with a smile. "I guess I shall expect more from you then."

 

He laughed lightly at the joke. "I guess you could... But I'm not really good at this though. II don't think I'm that talented in music like what others say."

"Well, according to these papers, " Mrs Park waved his documents and certificates "I don't see you as 'not talented in music'. Anyways, welcome to our school, young man."

He accepted his new teacher's handshake and left after he took his things and bowed. He whistled to a random tune as he walked to his new class.

 

"I guess this is it..." He took a deep breath before he slided the door aside and entered the class. He never expected this school to be such a unique place. His class looks pretty much the same as other schools in Korea and England, but the difference between them is that, at the front of the class, there will be a small -well, quite big- corner with all kinds of instruments. 

 

As he walked into the class, everyone who was just in the middle of their conversations stopped and stared at him. They wouldn't really do this much, though - It's because this new kid's dad is Kim Jong-il. KIM, JONG, IL They think they're crazy, imagining that someone in their class is his son, but they still have to admit it's true. The son of the big founder of Harmony is their new classmate!

 

"Umm... Hi?" He smiled at his soon-to-be friends. He stuttered throughout his self introduction because he wasn't a good speaker."I'm... Kim Jonghyun, Kim Jong-il's son... And... Uhh... I can play the piano, guitar and a little bit of violin... And... Umm... I hope we could... Err... Be friends?"

 

"Of course we could be friends!" One of the boys stood up and said. "I'm sure we all could be friends. I'm Joonmyun, the class president."

 

"I.. See... Nice to meet you, Joonmyun-sshi."

 

As the school's first bell rang, everyone dashed back to their own places, since everyone knows that their beloved Mrs Park is really on time. Not in 10 seconds, another person slid the door and entered the class to introduce the class to Jonghyun.

 

"Well I heard a lot of noise when I'm outside, Joonmyun-sshi," She crossed her arms and smirked at Joonmyun. "Which means you all are getting along well, which is some good news I suppose. Right. Anyone's got a blank seat beside them?"

The class remained silent because there weren't any. Well, there's one, right beside a long-haired girl.

 

"Hmm... I guess you'll have to sit beside Byul then. " Mrs Park said to Jonghyun while every other student stared at the mentioned girl. She, who heard her name and smell attention, looked up to the teacher who called her name. She received a smile from both standing people in front of the class, but she gave no response and just continued reading her book. 

 

"Well, go say hi," Mrs Park give Jonghyun a small push towards the students. "She might be a wheeny-little introverted, but she's a very talented girl."

 

Jonghyun hesitated a bit, seeing everyone looking at the girl with all sorts of faces - though all mainly showing disgust, humiliation and fear, but he continued his steps towards his seat, heart beating faster as he gets closer.

 

"Well, let's get started kids!" Mrs Park, who still calls her students "kids", waited for Jonghyun to take his seat before she starts the lessons. "So yesterday we talked about Gershwin... "

 

"Hey, I'm Jonghyun. Nice to meet you." Jonghyun stared at the ignorant girl and tried to break the ice between them by offering a handshake. 

 

Well... He didn't get a nice response though. All she did was just look at him, his hand, and her vision rolled back to the words on the book. "I'm Seo Byul."

 

Jonghyun sighed as his new desk mate rejected coldly before he takes out his notebook from his bag to start jotting down notes.

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

"Byul-sshi! Wait!" Byul rolled her eyes when she heard a loud voice calling her from behind. 

 

"Are you... Like, having admirers already?" Jin-ah laughed at her friend. "That's rare for our Princess Byul."

 

"Cut, it, out, Jinny," Byul said in an annoyed tone. She turned to her back as she looked at Jonghyun. 

 

"Finally... I... Caught up..." Jonghyun squatted down as he panted hard. He stood up again, pointing at some notes he wrote down in his book. "I don't know why, but I just can't seem to recognise this chord. Is this French or German augmented 6th?"

 

Byul looked down at the chord what was drawn down on the paper and rolled her eyes. "You're in F major. G flat, B flat, G sharp; minor 2nd, major 3rd, augmented 6th. It's Italian."

 

"Oh... It is?" Jonghyun laughed awkwardly as he rubbed his nape. "How did you figure this out so fast?"

 

"Are you serious? She's Miss Music Prodigy!" Jin-ah tapped Jonghyun's shoulder and introduced herself. "I've never seen you hanging out in this school before. I'm Jin-ah, or Gina, or Jinny."

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Jonghyun. " He smiled at Jin-ah before he questions about Byul. "You said she's a prodigy?'

 

"Yeah, she is the youngest champion of Harmony's international musical competition! Don't tell me you've never heard of Harmony?"

 

"I'm... Supposed to take over the association, if you don't know..." Jonghyun looked down. He looked back up and stared at Byul. "You were the youngest winner?!"

 

"Umm... It's nothing, actually. Don't exaggerate." Byul rolled her eyes.

 

"Wow... That's awesome," Jonghyun was impressed, and shocked, at the same time. He looked at his watch and dashed away. "I'd better get going. See you girls tomorrow!"

 

"Bye, Jonghyun!" Jin-ah shouted towards the boy. She knocked her elbow against her friends arm. "Hey, you've never told me Kim Jong-il's son is this cute, have you?"

 

X X X X X X X X X X

 

Dorms

 

Luggage held on his left hand, guitar on his right, and a small backpack behind him, Jonghyun has no idea how did he make it to his room with all the stuff, alone.

 

He rang the door bell, and a boy suddenly opens the door, scaring the petite boy. "Hey cousin, how's school today?"

 

"Kim, Key, Bum!" Jonghyun shouted as he sees his long lost cousin right in front of his eyes. "I thought you're still in Paris?"

 

"No, please," Kibum rolled his eyes. "I came back a long time ago. Come on, let me help you with these."

 

"I've been waiting for you to say this, Mr Key." Jonghyun grunted and both laughed.


"So, " Kibum offered his cousin a cup of coffee as they started chatting. "I'm expecting your departure answers to be 'to find that girl'."

 

"Yeah, that, and of course because dad asked me to study here." Jonghyun jumped out when he remembered about the news that he wanted to share. "Oh, one more thing, I've found her!"

 

"WHAT?" Kibum almost choked on his coffee when he heard that. "You've found her, already?"

 

"M-hmm, and she's my desk mate!" Jonghyun nodded his head furiously. "I've never expected things to be done so fast."

 

"Well, sad that she didn't know your name back then," Kibum sighed dramatically. "Otherwise the both of you should be cuddling with each other and--"

 

"Okay, we'll stop here, cousin. I'm going to blush." Jonghyun covered his cousin's mouth before awkward words come out of it.

 

 

It took no effort.

 

 

 

I've already found you.