Catch the Deer!

Seventeen

 

 

“Good morning, my dearest neighbor! Ready to have a fang-tastic day?”

Hwajae rolled her eyes. Holy Dracula knows how long she and that boy lived across to each other, but one thing for real is, that it’s as long as that boy has disturbed her. “Ha ha. Very funny, Mingyu. Say, did you just do your literature homework or did you just finished the first chapter of your bed time story that you could finally make a logical pun?”

Kim Mingyu. A full-blood vampire who snatched the ‘Hottest Vampire of the Century’ title from the old Bloodie Pie, Choi Seungcheol. He’s the only child of the Kim Family which is one of the Prince Family of the Haven. He was belated with natural hunting talents, genius brain and an overly rate of charisma which is why the other female vampires are fangs over feet for him.

Perfection, they would say. It was true, though. He’s everything anyone could ever ask for. Fame, money, look, brain, everything. He’s the kind of vampire that would make any boy vampire to envy him to death and make any girl to swoon over him.

Okay, maybe not any girl..

The boy chuckled and showed his long sweet fangs, “You and your sarcasm. Are you sure you’re a half-blood, Hwajae?”

“What’s a sarcasm and half-blood have any relations with?”

“Nothing, actually. I was just trying to make some words” he said and she could hear his innocent big grin. She rolled her eyes and locked the door before starting to walk to the school.

Now Choi Hwajae, was a whole different story.

A soon to be 17 years old half-vampire girl that came from a wealthy royal family, Choi family. She’s a very intelligent girl who’s very logical and clever. The best daughter any parents could ever ask for, in short. She’s pretty, smart, wealthy, and friendly. Okay, last word applied to every vampire but Mingyu.

You see, the relationships between the two kids are not your usual friendship relationship where they’re a happy childhood friend that shared almost all of their childhood time together. They’re happy to share their time together (well, mostly) but their personality is just something that sometimes become the barrier between their ‘friendliness’. Her with her harsh sarcasm words when it gets to Mingyu, and him with his playful careless jokes when it gets to Hwajae. Either way, the two still manages to not turn themselves into rogue and bite each other’s neck off.

Watching how she quickly walks away, he tried to catch up with her. He quickly use that ‘a blink of an eye run’ and in no time, he was already walking next to her. He smiled at her when she stare at how fast the boy appeared, “You know that my birthday is coming by the end of the week, right? You should prepare a real good present for me, okay?”

“What for? Last time I checked, you were one of the member of my ‘Unwanted Vampires’ list and I have no intention to scratch your name on it anytime soon” she snorted “What is it that  you want, anyway? I bet your parents could give you everything and you pretty much have all the things that other guy would ask for, then why bother?”

“Um, can you read minds?”

“No”

“Good” he grinned and answered her question on his mind, because what I wanted is you.

She raised an eyebrow as she stare at the tall guy, smiling to himself like an idiot, “You just replied my wishing question on your mind, didn’t you?”

“Geez Hwajae, I think you can’t read people’s mind, but you still have that kind of reading things in your blood” he said with an amused laugh “Wait, you haven’t find your special ability, right?”

“Nope. I’m not 17 yet, so how would I find it?” she said with a matter-of-fact tone. She was starting to question the real self of Mingyu. I thought he was a Prince Family, then why is this boy acting all stupid when he’s around? She shrugged her thought away as she realized that he was still staring at her with that amused expression. She cleared as she start to feel uneasy and tried to open a new topic to talk about, “Talking about birthdays.. Any signs of what your ability would be yet?”

The boy shook his head, “The small signs didn’t show, yet. No sudden voices on my head, no sudden tingling on my stomach, no sudden heart thumping, no nothing. I’m not even sure that I actually going to get one. I mean, I don’t feel bothered at all if I wasn’t belated with any, but I don’t think my parents would think the same..”

“Oh come on, Mingyu. You’re perfect just the way you are. With or without special power, you’d still be the Hottest Vampire of the Century” she said as she patted his shoulder. She was just going with a simple supporting words, but what she didn’t know is that for him, it means a whole world better than that. He grinned ear to ear and she continues her speech as she thinks her words work, “..Besides, you’re one of the Kim Family. You know that the Book of Nod stated that the member of Prince Family are always belated with one or more special powers, right? So don’t you worry, that day would come soon enough”

“You think, so?”

“Of course! We would wait for eternity for our Hottest Vampire to finally get his powers. And I promise, I would be the first person to clap my hands and will definitely shout the loudest when that day come” she smiled. Mingyu was on the clouds of nine as he heard those sweet words coming out of her small lips. Her small cute fangs were appeared as she smiled genuinely at him. “So Mingyu, talking about your 17th birthday.. It’s also the day when you’ll see the Prophecy, right? I mean, I heard you can know everything about your future at that time. Your life for the next centuries, your financial, your lucks, and even your soulmate”

Your soulmate..

That sweet smile disappeared from Mingyu’s mind as her words keep on repeating on his head, his soulmate? He never think about the prophecy that far and now that she mentioned it, he began to think, who would be his soulmate? Would it be Hwajae?

If you don’t know, vampires have this one bonding called ‘Linked’. When a vampire reached his/her 17th birthday, they would be locked in a room with a sacred candle in the middle of the room. The person would be asked to sit down and stare at the candle as it shows the person’s future. Every question that’s ever crossed their mind would be answered as she/he watches the candle.

When the person watches their future on the candle, the Link would also happen. The person would see the face of their soulmate and when they saw them in person, their eyes would change gold to verify that they’re really the person’s soulmate. When they locked their gaze for the first time, they would have some kind of tattoo on their left hand. A same shape of tattoo to show that they’re officially soulmate. When a soulmate is officially declared, the vampires are locked with each other until their undead body died. If one of them died of tortured, the other half would also feel the pain but they won’t die. It will only leave a real painful pain that in many cases, the other halves would also killed themselves in order to follow their other half to the other world.

Mingyu was now really in deep thought about the Linked bonding. What would he do if his soulmate turns out to be someone other than Hwajae? He had loved her so much up until this rate and it would be a real pain to just changed his feelings to someone other than her. It wasn’t impossible, but it would definitely leave a big mark on his unbeating heart.

“Mingyu? Hello?” Hwajae said as  she snapped her fingers in front of his face “You were really in deep thought that you stopped and made me walk alone up until the next block.. Are you okay?”

“Oh um, yeah. I’m fine. Shall we go to school, now?”

***

“I want to go home..” Hwajae said to herself “I wouldn’t be able to finish this period. I knew it”

It was PE class and what they’re going to do now is some basic training. But when I tell you basic, don’t expect to have a split and jumping jacks kind of thing to be trained with. Vampires’s training are a whole different story than that. Their PE class wasn’t a class nor a gym building, it was an open forest. The warming up wasn’t running in a track nor do stretching. Their warming up was to catch an animal and their blood. Every kids were really good in this subject with their natural talents but of course, Mingyu always stood up the most.

Mingyu, Hwajae and the rest of the kids were now standing behind the ‘Start’ line of the forest. Getting ready to catch their first real meal of the week, a real blood to drink with. Animals blood was never as good as humans, but it would still satisfy your throat even for just a drop.

The teacher whose power is to create fire, then snapped his finger and a big fire appeared on the edges of the track like torches, lighting the way for the deep dark forest. The kids then begin to spread up as they reach the heart of the forest. Their natural hunting traits then begin to showed up and in no time, some of them were already done with their warm up.

Hwajae was quitely waiting behind the bush as she eyed a deer, feeding on one of the tree. The deer wasn’t that big but it was enough to erase her thirst. Her grey eyes sparkled, showing that she was really eyeing and concentrating on the deer. She was about to jump and break the deer’s neck, but the someone came and bite the deer’s neck first, “Sorry, Hwajae! This one is on me!”

“Urgh, damn you Mingming!” she cursed and did a slight bump on the laughing boy whose mouth was still stained with some blood dripping.

She continued to eye a small horse which was drinking on the edge of a river. There, she saw a small horse drinking down like there’s no tomorrow. It was panting hard which means that the horse is tired from whatever it has been doing. A good term for a vampire to sink their teeth since the prey is in its weak condition, but it was the same thing happening to Hwajae. She’s also losing energy from her last prey.

Let’s not fail in this one, Hwajae.

She make her own count down and silently approach the horse from behind and gets ready to jump on it before.. “Hey, Hwajae!”

The horse which also heard the person calling then jerked back and begin kicking Hwajae who hanged her life up on the horse’s back. It was kicking around, making Hwajae to move around too and getting her clothes soaked because of the river water.

Can’t.. Lose.. This one! Hwajae said as she tried to sink her teeth on it but the horse keeps on kicking around, making her to be thrown away for a couple feet and the horse then ran away.

“Sweet father of Vlad, damn it, Mingyu! I’m trying to catch something, here!” She said as she stood up with her soaking clothes “It’s only 3 more minutes left before the warming up is over.. And I need to find something else to bite, thank you so much. You should be thankful that we’re not allowed to go Rouge, or you’ll find yourself be a literal dead vampire before you eve got to 17!”

“Geez, why so warm, girly?” Mingyu said as he raised an eyebrow “It’s enough time to get another food, you know. There’s plenty horses in the forest and 3 minutes is a lot more than enough for a vampire to get some food”

“Well haven’t you noticed that I’m still a half-blood?! I still have some of those freaking human traits on me that I’m feeling tired already. Damn you, Mingyu”

“I’m sorry, okay? I didn’t know!”

“Of course you know! Everyone knows that I’m one of the half-blood! You just didn’t want to remember!” Hwajae snapped as she took of her sweater and tried to dry it a little by squeezing the water out. Her hair was still dripping and the color of her eyes turned into a red sapphire one, showing that she was really angry.

“I said I’m sorry, okay! If you can’t find another horse, then I could just find you one and bring it to you. What’s the big fuss, about?!”

“Easy for you to say because you’re belated with that freaking awesome talent! I want to catch one myself and taste how sweet my own work is and-..”

Hwajae words were never finished because she suddenly feel a big pang on her head. This is what about being a half-blood. Your body was still weak because of the human traits. You’re even a lot more weak than a fledgling. The only thing that you can be a full vampire is when another vampire bites you but not until you drained out your humanity traits, but the only vampire who could to that is your soulmate only. Unfortunately the thing is, you could never see if someone is your soulmate if he/she is still a half-blood, so it’s like a gambling to bite a half-blood and claimed them as your soulmate.

“Woah, Hwajae are you alright?” Mingyu said as he quickly jumped off the tree. Worried was written all over his face and he was turning a lot more white than before. Guilty on what he just did to her.

“Do I look, okay?”

“Look, I’m sorry about what I did, okay? I didn’t mean-.. Oh damn it, Hwajae!” he shouted as quickly run at her. Carefully catching her head before it landed harshly on the rocks of the river. “Hwajae! Hwajae, wake up!”

She didn’t respond. Her eyes were closed and she was really weak. Mingyu was really panicked on what to do. She wasn’t responding at all, even after he gently tapped her cheeks.

She passed out.

 


 

Glosarium

  1. Book of Nod : A book that stated everything about vampires from their history, powers, until their enemies
  2. Haven : The place or neighborhood where vampires live
  3. Linked : The bonding happens when a vampire meet their soulmate for the first time
  4. Prince Family : A wealthy or royal family of vampires
  5. Prophecy : The answers that you will get when you reached to your 17th birthday. Your destiny, power, soulmate, everything would be answered and the prophecy is rigid, there's no changing in it
  6. Rouge : Vampires who feed upon other vampires 

 


 

[ Hey guuuyyysss! So the first chapter is up, and what do you think? Slight drama already, eh? haha

So can you guys get the picture already about who's who and what is he/she? Well I haven't revealed all of the characters yet since it's still the very beginning of the story but I hope you like it and would always keep support this story

Oh! Don't forget to check on my other story, Delinquenteens!

xoxo ]