Art Exhibit

Man of His Dreams
Over the next two weeks, Jaejoong and Yunho were in each other’s dreams all the time. Yunho got better at remembering his own dreams after Jaejoong had said to try writing down whatever he remembered. Soon the two started planning out where they wanted to go. The world was their canvas. And to Jaejoong, Yunho was always his focal point. Yunho kept him grounded, reminding him that it was just a dream, but hey, it was a dream.
 
By the end of the two weeks, Jaejoong had come to full realization of his feelings for the other. His heart raced just being near him. His hugs made him nervous and just plain sent him over the edge. Jaejoong was sure the other realised too, since everytime they hugged, the dream would take a drastic turn, forcing them to do something about it. His feelings for Yunho were obvious, but he had no idea when to tell him, or even how.
 
So one day, he just went for it.
 
“Yunho, there’s something I need to tell you” Jaejoong stared up at Yunho as he drifted down from the ceiling. The other landed comfortably, like he was on a cloud, and smiled at him. He gave his look that told Jaejoong he was all ears. That he’s completely listening.
 
“Hm?”
 
Jaejoong shifted his body so he was facing Yunho. “I like you. A lot, actually.” He held his breath, watching as Yunho’s face turned from “excited to be talking with you” to “this has been the worst day of my life.” Yunho never answered. He turned away, and for a second, Jaejoong could see a hint of worry expressed on Yunho’s face before he disappeared.
 
Jaejoong started to regret telling him. His mind began racing at all the possible ways Yunho could react. He could avoid him, change his job again, and stop appear in his dreams. The only chance Jaejoong would have of seeing him again was to run into him randomly, since he still doesn't know where the other lives. Or, Yunho could simply never mention it again—and Jaejoong was fine with that. He didn’t mean to put their friendship at stake. Jaejoong guess by the look on Yunho’s face that he would never accept his feelings. He was perfectly content at an unrequited love.
 
A week later, he was told that Yunho had quit the restaurant. That was the second time that bastard disappeared after he was found. However, it was unnecessary. If Yunho would talk with him, he would have found out that Jaejoong was compltetly willing to give the other as much space and time as he needed to get over his unnecessary words, as long as he came back. He was tired of chasing after Yunho. He was damn tired of always being the one to find him and explain his actions. Well, not any more.
 
Which is why when Jaejoong woke up, he immediately set out to sell the paintings. He needed the money, for one, and he needed to get rid of those memories. Those specific memories that caused him to fall for the other. Those paintings that captured his time-stopping moments that he could bask in forever. Those memories that reminded him each day why he liked Yunho, and why he’s going to lose him. Keeping them wouldn't do his heart any good, and only serve as a reminder for what he cannot have. 
 
So Jaejoong called around. He got himself a building, set a date—two weeks from now—and called the previous people who had shown interest. He made flyers, and hung them around. He told his followers on all of his social media, trying to get the word out as best as he could that he was selling his paintings. A small part of him was hoping that Yunho found out, and would show up, but the rational part of his brain was beating that part of him with a stick. He knew it was impossible.
 
The day of his art exhibit, Jaejoong had the worst morning he had ever had to date. First, he forgot to replace the bar of soap from the shower, then he lost his comb. But then his luck declined after that. His clumsiness decided showed up at the worst time, and he ended up getting a scraped knee, and a broke plate. Then there was traffic. There was a huge accident—some idiot tried to make a U-turn and another car, probably late to work, slammed right into the side of it. Fractured skull, broken leg, both cars were totaled.
 
Jaejoong’s next two hours were spent running around like a madman trying to make sure everything went smoothly. Of course, nothing did. For one, half the people he hired didn’t even show up. He left two paintings back at his apartment, which he sent one of his hired to go get them—and explicitly threatened to murder him if anything was missing. A lightbulb blew out, so he had to send another one of his hired to go get a new one, and of course that guy didn’t know the difference between what lightbulbs to get so he got the wrong one. By now, Jaejoong was curing at anything that moved or was out of place. By the time the first guy got back with the paintings, it was almost time to open.
 
Everything sailed smoothly once he opened, though. It was surprising how many people showed up. Jaejoong was also able to calmly talk to those interested, and managed to sell a few of his paintings. He knew what would get them to buy his paintings. He told them exactly how he came up with the paintings, and they all loved it. They never said a thing, but he knew they cherished and squealed in delight how Jaejoong was selling his dreams away. He would miss his paintings, but he needed the money more than the sentiment they held.
 
Jaejoong was chatting as we walked around when his world stopped. Yunho was standing under a spotlight, in a suit, hands held together loosely behind his back, staring at a painting. He was facing away from Jaejoong, but he would know that body anywhere. As Jaejoong walked closer, he noticed it was the painting of the city. Their city. The one that started everything. Then he saw the bruise around his neck, almost fully covered by the suit, as if he was choked recently. 
 
“You never told me about this one.” Yunho didn’t even glance at him. Jaejoong stared at the other's profile. Cuts and bruises scarred around his face, some of them still red. 
 
Jaejoong swallowed the dry lump forming in his throat, and had the sudden need for a glass of water. This was not happening. “I-I was saving it for last.” No reaction. “It was our first dream together. You grabbed my hand, and you ran as fast as you could.” Jaejoong chuckled a little, reminiscing. “I had no idea who you were, or why you did that, but you showed me this. This painting is what I saw. The sight that you showed me. The reds and oranges that threw me off of my block.”
 
Yunho finally looked at him, showing his sad eyes and the ful extent of his bruises for a moment before he nodded and stared back at the painting.
 
“Jaejoong.” Jaejoong never thought he would hear his own name from the other. The word sent shockwaves through his body as his forgot how to speak. When he didn’t, Yunho continued. “I don’t know how our dreams are connected in the way that they are, and it's scary. But I’m sorry. For leaving.”
 
Yunho was looking right at him, giving him that look Jaejoong didn’t know he missed. The one that told him everything is okay, and I’m listening. Jaejoong nodded. “It’s okay,” was all his lips could muster to throw out, when, in fact, it wasn’t. Every time Jaejoong had found him, he ran away. Every time Jaejoong tried to take initiative, Yunho closed up. It was his turn to talk now.
 
Yunho sighed, and explained further. “I didn’t really mean to run away like that. The timing of your confession was not the best time. I was found.”
 
Jaejoong stood up a little more straight and furrowed his eyebrows. “Found?”
 
“I like you too, Jaejoong. That’s what I’m trying to say. I really didn’t mean to run away. Please forgive me?” Yunho turned his whole body facing Jaejoong, and gripped his shoulders. How could Jaejoong ever say no to those big eyes that looked at him like that?
 
Jaejoong nodded. “All I want is for you to come back.”
 
Yunho frowned, letting go. “I…I don’t think I can. Not yet.”
 
“Why not?” Jaejoong crossed his arms. “Why do you keep running away nearly every time we talk to each other?” He had raised his voice, and now people were looking at the two.
 
Yunho sighed, and looked around, like he was debating on where to say something or not. Instead, he waited until most stopped looking at them. “I just owe some people money, okay? I don’t want you to get involved. Just give me your number, and I’ll text you where I’m working.” Yunho looked at him. “Is that okay?”
 
Jaejoong could only stare until his name brought him back to earth. “Yes, yes. It’s okay. Actually, there’s a stack of business cards that have my number on the table in front. You can take one of those.”
 
“Thanks.” Yunho pat his back, and made his way to the stairs. Jaejoong watched until he heard the jungle on the doors. His head was spinning. Money? Why would Yunho need to borrow money? 
 
Then it hit him what Yunho had said. His heart raced, and blood rushed to his face. All this time Yunho was just bad at communicating his feelings. He actually liked him. But that still didn’t excuse him for always leaving.