Birthday Dinner

Man of His Dreams
“Where are you taking me? You better not be ditching me!”
 
Jaejoong laughed, his hands pressed firmly over the other’s eyes. “Calm down, Yoochun.”
 
“Why would you think we’re ditching you? Especially on your birthday?” Junsu nudged the other’s arm. The three had successfully led Yoochun through the busy city sidewalks and into to an air conditioned restaurant. It was a disaster trying to get there. On the way, Jaejoong and stepped on the other’s foot at least twice, and Yoochun bumped into at least three people. Junsu called Jaejoong a klutz, and when prompted about Yoochun, excused him because he's currently blind.
 
“Surprise!” Jaejoong and Junsu said at once when they entered the building.
 
“Let’s go!” Jaejoong grabbed Yoochun’s hand, and dragged him in. “Party of three.”
 
“Right this way please.” The host led them to a booth and handed them their menus, then left.
 
“You guys didn’t have to do this” Yoochun picked up his menu to hidie his embarrassed face.
 
“Of course we did. Who else would?” Junsu unfolded his napkin, and placed it on his lap before looking at the menus. It was quiet while they looked over the menu, and a few minutes later the server came in.
 
“Hello, my name is Yunho, and I’ll be serving you today. What can I get everyone to drink?” The table was dead silent as every stared at the server.
 
“This is Yunho?” Yoochun mumbled, his face slightly surprised. Jaejoong nodded. “I’ll take a cola.”
 
“Same.” Junsu continued to look through his menu. Both of their faces were neutral, and Jaejoong couldn't tell if what they were thinking was good or bad. Yunho took note of it, and when it came to Jaejoong’s turn, he didn’t look at him like he did the others. He just stared at the notepad, waiting for input, like a robot.
 
Jaejoong continue to stare until he realized that Yunho wasn’t going to have the talk right then. “Water.” Yunho nodded, and left. Jaejoong had all the wind knocked out of him when Yunho didn’t even acknowledge him. Junsu and Yoochun looked up from their menus once Yunho was gone, mouth agape to Jaejoong.
 
“Are you sure that’s Yunho?” Yoochun slammed his menu down and leaned across the table, a tint of panic in his voice. Jaejoong nodded.
 
Junsu moved his menu a little down, eyes curious. “He didn’t even look at you!” Jaejoong nodded again.
 
“I’m sure he recognized me. He just didn’t want to talk to me.” Yoochun and Junsu looked at each other, and Yunho came back with the drink. The other two put their menu's back up, and when their waiter put down Jaejoong’s water last, Jaejoong latched onto to his hand.
 
“Please let go.” His voice was tired, as if he had given up. The man tried to leave, but Jaejoong pulled him back, fully determined to get the other to talk to him.
 
“Not until you tell me when your shift ends.” Yunho, again, tried to wiggle out, but Jaejoong held on tighter. “Please, just let me explain.”
 
Yunho sighed, and looked at Jaejoong for the first time. “Fine. Come back at 5:30.” Jaejoong nodded, letting his hand slip down. Yunho turned to face them again. “Now, do you three need more time to order, or are you ready now?”
 
“We’re ready now.”
 
The rest of the meal went by fine, and they even sang Yoochun Happy Birthday. Whenever Yunho would appear in Jaejoong’s line of sight, he would not take his eyes off of the other. Jae was sure he was aware, because he never looked in their direction, probably afraid that he and Jaejoong would make eye contact. Jaejoong admitted, he was a little upset about it. He wanted Yunho's attention, but he would not give it. After his group left, Jaejoong worked with Junsu until five pm came along. He didn’t even need to tell Junsu where we was going. One look and the younger one could tell.
 
Jaejoong waited outside, sitting on the curb. He didn't want to sit at a table, for fear that someone might come along and shoo him away. 5:30 rolled around and there was no Yunho. 6 pm came and went, and Jaejoong was beginning to think Yunho ran out the back, or gave him the wrong time. Jaejoong became antsy, looking at the door every time it opened, then getting disappointed every time it wasn’t Yunho. Finally, 6:30 came, an hour after Yunho said to come by, and Jaejoong stood to leave. That’s when he came running around the back. Yunho’s face was flushed, like he escaped from something. and fear clearly spread across his face. Jaejoong smiled at the other, not caring if the smile was going to be met back.
 
“Let’s go, before I’m caught.” Yunho grabbed his hands, not even stopping, and they ran. It was like his dream all over again, except the city was full of life, and color this time. Dodging people, and chairs, and jumping over small dogs and skateboards. Yunho clutching harder when they turned into a side street. Jaejoong ran a little bit faster, hoping to catch the warmth from Yunho’s body before it disappeared into the wind.
 
They didn’t go to the roof to see the sunset. Instead, Jaejoong took the lead, and led him back to his apartment. 
 
Yunho took off his shoes, looking around in the process. “The paintings are still there.”
 
Jaejoong nodded, smiling a bit. “I didn’t have the heart to throw them away. Would you like something to drink?” His voice a little higher for the second sentence.
 
Yunho nodded, and sat down. “If you have any water, that’s fine.”
 
Jaejoong grabbed two bottles from the fridge, and tossed one to Yunho. “Nice catch.” Jaejoong took a seat next to Yunho, and watched as the other’s adam’s apple bobbed up and down as he chugged down the water. Once half of the bottle was done, Yunho screwed the cap back on. They sat in silence for a while, both unsure of what to go next Jaejoong wanted to explain everything to him, but he had no idea where to start. The beginning is always a nice choice, that way the other wouldn’t miss anything. But how does one explain the best adventures they had together, to someone who doesn’t even remember them?
 
“I’m sorry.” “I remember.”
 
They both looked at each other, surprise written on their face. “What?” Jaejoong set his bottle on the floor, anxious to scoot closer, but he knew Yunho wouldn’t like that. Especially since they were still “acquaintances” in the real world.
 
“I remember. Well, not all of it, of course. But over the last week, some things came to me. I don’t know, little things? I could hardly remember it. But I remember running, in a city, like you said. It felt so horrible, so dull, and just generally draining. And then you came and brightened everything.” Jaejoong smiled, and stared at the floor. He found himself blushing at the compliment, and not having the slightest clue how to react to it.
 
“So, what you’re saying is, you forgive me?” Yunho glanced at Jaejoong before nodding, and drinking more of his water. Then he stood and walked over to the paintings.
 
“So, help me remember. What happened in each of these?” Jaejoong nodded, anxious to show him the world they saw. Then Yunho stopped him. “But please, go a little slow for me?”
 
Jaejoong smiled again, and nodded a little slower this time, before moving to his most recept painting. “Anything for you.”