Day 5

100 Paper Cranes

Day 5, September 11, 2010

     “Seojin-sshi! Today is Hyeyoung’s 19th birthday! Don’t forget to greet her! Sad to say she’s crying because of you on her birthday. You should wake up already. Ireona, Seojin-sshi. I.reo.na~!”

 

     Chanyeol remembered how Hyeyoung entered the room earlier. She was in her teary eyes and when she saw Seojin, she started sobbing like an idiot. She was actually trying to control her tears when in fact she couldn’t.

 

     Hyeyoung has been Seojin’s closest cousin since grade school. And since then, she knows Seojin’s sickness. When they were in middle school, Hyeyoung moved to Japan with her family. Hyeyoung didn’t want to go with her family, but she had no choice. Thought far away, they still keep contacts and would often times call each other. Hyeyoung’s overprotective and always concerned towards her. She knows all her problems, even her ‘intimate relationship’ with Chanyeol.

 

     Though against it, Hyeoung couldn’t do anything but to support Seojin. And it’s her happiness. What else can she do then?

 

 

**

 

     “Seojin-ah, are you sure with that decision?”

 

     Seojin pursed her lips before uttering the word “Yes.”

 

     “But Seojin-ah, your surgery will be in three months, right?” this time, the word ‘Yes’ gave her shivers. She has to stop Seojin. She has to convince her it’s not right.

 

     “Unnie-yah, Chanyeol knows my condition already. I told him a week ago.”

 

     “You must be kidding me, Seojin. You just can’t—“

 

     “He knew it already but he still chose to be with me.”

 

     “You can’t just trust someone as simple as that.”

 

     “I trust him a lot unnie! He’s dating me for months now.”

 

     Hyeyoung was speechless.

 

     “I can see he’s been sincere all the time. And I just.. I just can’t let go of him now.”

 

     She breathed heavily before finishing her statement.

 

     “I love him.”

 

     “But Seojin---“

 

     “Just support me.”

 

     Hyeyoung thought. How could she support her when in the end she knew it will hurt her? It’s like still choosing to pursue an engineering course even though you know you can’t make it in the end.

 

     Hyeyoung is a pessimist but she is sure her pessimism will help her make a good decision this time.

 

     “I’ll try, Seojin-ah.”

 

     “Fine. If you won’t, it’s just fine with me.”

 

     Seojin ended the call.

 

     For the first time, Seojin brusquely ended the call. She was frustrated, thinking Hyeyoung would support her. But she wasn’t. She will never support her decision. She won’t support Seojin this time. For sure, she won’ tell her parents. Is this how love can change a person? Seems like she’s not the same Seojin anymore. She became a little bit absurd. She became one-sided. She’s in love with that Chanyeol guy, whom Hyeyoung haven’t met yet. Is that Chanyeol guy a pure Casanova? Seojin isn’t the type of girl who falls easily for a guy. Well, Chanyeol was the first guy who dated her.. so maybe she was just surprised with the sudden feeling.. maybe she was just shocked.. maybe she liked the feeling that’s why she wanted to feel it always.

 

     But to think technically, Seojin isn’t that foolish. She’s not stupid. Perhaps she’s really in love with that man. The man who gave him the affection she liked. The man who made her heart beat abnormally. The man who loves her and was willing to accept her no matter what happens.

 

 

**

 

     “Hyeyoung-ah, how’s your parents?”

 

     “They’re quite busy for now, auntie. They were also worried for Seojin but sadly they can’t go here.”

She replied while wiping the tears on her face using the tissue she brought.

 

     “Hyeyoung-ah, I want you to meet Chanyeol, Seojin’s boyfriend.”

 

     Earlier Hyeyoung has been thinking if that guy who was inside the room a while ago, watching over Seojin, was Chanyeol. Now she realized she was right. It was really and actually Chanyeol.

 

     Chanyeol knew her through Seojin, as well as Hyeyoung too.

 

     Chanyeol gave her a smile, a small smile that says ‘hello’ and ‘welcome’ and nothing else. He’s back at being anxious and gutted again.

 

     Hyeyoung smiled back in gratitude. But she’s so damn curious with this boy, and how he made Seojin fall for him.

 

     “Can we talk?”

 

     Looking at his features, he seems so innocent and genuine. But as what they say, don’t be fooled with the outer appearance. Hyeyoung wanted to know how they met, how Seojin captured his heart, every external part of their love story.

 

     Chanyeol hesitated, but he could’ve just thought Hyeyoung is a sister of theirs; a caring sister who wanted to help and give some advice.

 

     So then and there Chanyeol explained, and while reminiscing those moments, he couldn’t help himself but hurt a bit. Hyeyoung felt what he has been feeling. From the look at his face, the way he speaks softly, she could tell he’s being sincere in everything he says.

 

     Chanyeol let out a dry laugh to brighten up the atmosphere. “Aish. Why am I thinking this way.. she survived the operation and sooner she will have a normal life again.”

 

     Hyeyoung thought too. But she loves Seojin so much that thoughts of her not surviving and suffering more occupies her mind too much. Her hopelessness is as it again. It was always there and she hates it.

 

     “She’s brave.” Hyeyoung said. But her mental mind snapped, “But you still think she can’t make it.”

 

     “Yes she is.”

Chanyeol replied and showed a determined smile. “She will live.” Hyeyoung was glad that her hopes were raised a bit because of Chanyeol’s words. She too, was amazed at how optimistic he is.

 

     Optimism. That’s the least Chanyeol could be right now. If he won’t think and act that way, maybe he’ll be breaking down now. Maybe he’d give up and would just attend his classes for the past weeks. But no. he won’t leave. He won’t go back to school, not unless she’d fully recover. All he thinks about is Seojin. Only Seojin.

 

     Hyeyoung gave him a soft pat on his shoulder, and gave him a small smile. “Guess I won’t be celebrating my birthday today.”

 

     “Today’s your birthday?”

 

     “Certainly.”

 

     “How old are you?”

 

     “Nineteen.”

 

     “Wow. You’re a noona.”

 

     Hyeyoung nodded, “Yes.”

 

     After a few minutes, neither said a word. Chanyeol was in his normal thinking and he would never say ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY’ or anything related to that when the reality is the celebrant’s not happy at all.

 

 

---

 

This is a longer chapter. ^-^