Day 11

100 Paper Cranes

 

     Day 11

 

     Chanyeol was obliged to go to school at that day. The teachers needed his presence. He needs to explain his reasons so that he could still continue his classes. Lay couldn’t cover him up now. They need to know. 
 

 

     "So, Mr. Zhang said that you were hospitalized for a week? Where's the medical certificate?" Chanyeol took out his fake papers. 
 

 

     "But the class started two weeks ago. Where were you last week?" 
 

 

     "I was in Ulsan to take care my grandmother." 
 

 

     "Don’t you have a sister or other relatives?" 

 

 

     "They have work. So at least I can awe my grandmother who took care of me. I just waited for his sons to arrive. Then I suddenly felt ill as I was going home." 
 

 

     Fortunately the teachers felt and understood his situation, so he was just advised to attend his classes next week. 
 

 

     "How was it?" Lay asked as soon as he got out from the conference room. 
 

 

     "I've got to go now." He gave him a reassuring smile as he went away. 
 

 

     He needed to get back to the hospital and share to Seojin her good news. He hailed a taxi and as soon as he got inside, all his worries about Seojin came back. What if something happened while he was not around? He took out his phone and expected to get a text from her Mom, but there wasn’t. 

 

 

     He was unexpectedly staring at the blue paper crane which was hanging below the rearview mirror. It looked cute, and somehow, it gave him a bit of relief. Maybe later he'd make a blue one with Seojin. 
 

 

     The day was gloomy as usual, but the hospital was alive and noisy. People pushing persons on wheelchair, hospital beds being moved from one place to another. For two weeks, those were the typical scenes. He felt like, he too, is also a patient in the hospital. 
 

 

     But sooner, he thought, a normal life waits. 
 

 

     Sooner. 
 

 

     He got to the fourth floor. When he turned left, he noticed that the room where Seojin was open. Wow. Maybe some relatives came. He guessed. Or old classmates. 
 

 

     He gladly took his steps on the way to the door. He wanted to know who arrived; he doesn’t have the intention to interrupt though. 

 

 

     He was five steps away from the door. 
 

 

     Four. 
 

 

     Three. 
 

 

     He was on the second step. 
 

 

     "Time of death, 11:35 am." 
 

 

     His heart was about to pound out from his ribcage. He was blank. He heard a loud sob from the room; he distinguished it as a cry of an older lady. 
 

 

     It was from Seojin's mom. She kept on saying her name. 
 

 

     The words 'I'm sorry echoed through his brain, bouncing inside his head until it fades. Hyeyoung saw him standing on the doorway. She could only glance and gave him the saddest expression while tears overflowed from her eyes. 

 

 

     Seojin's gone. 

 

 

     Now everything just felt like a dream. A nightmare. An unending one. 
 

 

     He couldn’t make paper cranes with her; never, in his life anymore.