Part X

My Maria

 

 

 

As if sound was away from our surroundings.

 

I looked at Dara while playing with my fingers. Pretty sure I looked like an idiot to her. Her eyes however widened so that the crease on her forehead showed. hung open for a few moments and then she fluttered her eyelids. She sighed and sank back to her chair. I kept looking at her like an eager puppy. And then I told the basics. How we became best buds and his parents’ recent divorce. But halfway through my story, she interrupted me.

 

“Let’s get things straight, shall we?” She said, uncurling on her seat. “You’re selling me to your best friend. Bottom line.”

 

I lowered my head, and nodded. That’s when our orders arrived. We watched as the waiter placed our food on the table.  Indifferently, she took one muffin and bit into it. I couldn’t take a bite from my cupcake seeing that Dara was carefully thinking things while eating. When the waiter left, she started talking again.

 

“Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? I mean, yes I agreed to come here to meet you because I was hoping for a date. But now, you’re handing me to another guy. That doesn’t do any good to what people see of me!” I could feel her exasperation in her voice although she didn’t shout or make a scene. In fact, she looked calm, understanding even. She continued talking.

 

“When you told me your friend likes me, I thought you just said it as an excuse for this meeting. But now I’m just shocked.”

 

“I am sorry. I told you, I had to do some drastic measures.”

 

“My god, sunbae.”

 

“I am so sorry.” I was ready to get down on my knees and beg. But in the end, I just took my cup of hot chocolate and sipped the liquid. She was silent for a few more minutes, concentrating on her food – concentrating on my words.

 

“Okay let’s have a deal,” was what broke our silence. I looked at her. Her eyes were scary.

 

“I will give you thirty counts and you should tell me reasons why I should date Chanyeol. If even just one reason satisfies me, I will give it a try.” I just stared in disbelief. She smirked, a playful hint of disaster at the corners of .

 

“Ready? Thirty!” she exclaimed, giggling.

 

“Wait what?” I froze. Her giggle intensified. “Hurry! Time is running out sunbae. Twenty nine.”

 

I was starting to panic trying to fish out words from my head.

 

“Twenty eight.”

 

It was like my trail of thought cuts off every time she counted. It’s something about her voice that-

 

“Twenty seven.”

 

See!

 

“Twenty six.”

 

Ugggggh. What should I say?

 

“Twenty five!”

 

“He’s handsome?”

 

“Nope! Too superficial. Twenty four.”

 

She kept on smirking, tilting her head from left to right.

 

“He plays the guitar!”

 

“Me too, so I don’t need him to teach me anymore. Twenty three!”

 

“His voice will make you melt?”

 

“I’m more of a tenor girl. Twenty two!”

 

This girl really is hard to please. “He’s the son of a businessman.”

 

“I don’t want his money. Twenty one.”

 

“But he can afford dates more expensive than this!”

 

“I am okay with low key dates. Twenty.”

 

“He likes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.”

 

“Oh my god, disgusting. Nineteen.”

 

“I know right.”

 

“Come on, you only have nineteen more tries.”

 

“I’m trying!” I complained, grasping the hem of the table cloth. This meeting – or date, whatever it is, took an unexpected turn. Dara was clearly annoyed. The idea of surprising her with a favor like asking to be your best friend’s girlfriend was too much, and it was just our first meeting. The little bit of candor in me seemed to have left when I found the courage to let the words escape my mouth. Turned out I could do things unimaginable for Chanyeol to be happy. I smacked my upper lip before feeding her answers again.

 

“He listens to One Republic.”

 

“Not bad. Eighteen.”

 

“Wait. I thought you liked it?”

 

“Not enough. Seventeen.” She made a little hum when she said the last word and then sipped her chocolate. I sighed.

 

“His eyes will sparkle every time he looks at you with that big toothed grin.”

 

Dara paused and puckered her lips. I resumed talking.

 

“If you stare long enough, you would notice the small twitching of his right eyelid. People find it really weird but little do they know that Chanyeol got it in an accident when he was younger.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re getting at sunbae. Sixteen.”

 

“Just listen.”

 

“They were in the playground when he saw his friend getting bullied. He rushed to his side and shielded him. The bully knocked him off with a blow on his eye. Back then he wore reading glasses. The glass got tangled in his eyelid, hence the twitching. That little jerking always reminds me of how selfless he is and I admire him for that.”

 

I took a breather and gaped at Dara’s confused face. “He’s really thoughtful. Just last Saturday he gave me a bouquet for my performance next town. They were daffodils. We spent the whole night in the park. The flowers dried overnight. The next morning, he bought hyacinths for my dying daffodils. He told me how they looked good together and how they actually needed each other. And later that day, he compared us to those daffodils and hyacinths. He acts like an idiot all the time but he’ll surprise you with his words and his cute little frolics.”

 

“He would visit you in your house after class when you’re absent the whole day just to see your face. He’ll want to take care of you when you’re sick even if it meant he’d catch the disease from you. He’ll share melon popsicles with you. He’ll walk you home after basketball practice. He’ll let you play with his hair. You should see him in the morning when the sun shines on his sleeping face. You’ll want to protect him from everything that could hurt him.”

 

I took Dara’s hand and squeezed it. Her lips parted, and her eyes were fixed on mine. “What I’m getting at, Dara, is that this game isn’t enough to convince you why Chanyeol is the best guy for you. The list would go on as long as you’re with him every day. He’s the best thing that happened to me and… and I need you to make him happy. I’m not enough. I’m not what he wants.”

 

“Oh my god. You love him.” She said after a long pause between us. I released her hand. She cupped her hands to , the moisture in her eyes starting to well. I took my handkerchief and gave it to her. 

 

“Sunbae, I- I should have seen the signs.”

 

I smiled weakly.

 

“He doesn’t know, does he?”

 

“As if it matters.”I scoffed, forming a weak smile.

 

“Why are you hurting yourself this way, sunbae? How will this make you happy?”

 

“I’m not doing this for my sake. I’m doing this for him. He’s hurt right now, overwhelmed with his parents’ divorce. I’m here to make things right.”

 

“But you love him!”

 

“But he doesn’t love me. Sometimes, when you are not getting the love you want, giving makes you think you will. I’ve read that in a book once, and I guess that’s what I’m doing right now.”

 

I resumed eating with my head bowed. What was with this girl that I managed to pour out and confess my feelings for Chanyeol to her? I could feel her eyes on me while I munched my cupcake. I made a quick glance and saw her drumming her fingers on the table. I got to admit; now I don’t know what to do. It all boils down to Dara’s choice: either she walks out of this café and treats this meeting as one of her dates or she agrees and ends up under Chanyeol’s arms.

 

And breaks my heart.

 

Not another word was uttered until we were both tired of pretending we were eating. By the time the sky went dark on the patio and the establishment had to turn on the lanterns hanging by the windows, I cleared my throat and looked at her.

 

“Shall we go?” I said with a smile, standing up. I was about to walk to the cashier, when she stopped me.

 

“Wait sunbae,” She was still seated, her eyes fixed on nothingness. I searched for her gaze and when she looked at me, I saw fire in her eyes. When she talked, the embers in them seemed to light up.

 

 “I’ll do it.” She stood up and faced me. She extended her hand. I looked at her face, and then to her extended hand. I took it and shook, a smile forming at the corner of my lips. But she didn’t share my joy.

 

“But you have to remember this sunbae.” She continued while we walked side by side. She handed my handkerchief to me. When I held her hand, she clasped them together with hers and squeezed.

 

“You’re creating your own sadness. I’ll make you realize that in the end.”

 

 

 

When we parted ways, she thanked me for giving her a good time. She smiled all the while we were exchanging goodbyes, as if we just really went out to eat muffins. But her words were imprinted on my mind. I am fully aware that I am the one in control of my feelings. One day, maybe I could go out and forget Chanyeol and just look for a girl to love. Maybe I could live like a normal boy, who’s not in love with his best friend.

 

But I’m a weirdo. I am not capable of a normal life. My dad left us. My mom works all night and leaves me alone at home all day because she needs her rest. I don’t play basketball. I’m not athletic at all. I love my best friend who is a boy. Still, I am contented with this life. It’s not what you can call usual or average but it’s what I have. And as long as Chanyeol is in the picture, I could live with it. That’s why I’ll do anything to keep him in it.

 

Once Dara was out of sight, I started walking home too. I offered to walk her home saying it’s what happens usually after a date. She refused, saying, her family will bother her too much if she’s seen with a guy. “Besides, this sure isn’t your usual date. And I thank you for giving it to me.”

 

I wasn’t particularly hungry and there was no homework for tomorrow. So I decided to wander off in the neighborhood for a while, looking at the displays in the stores. By the time I got really bored, I was already walking for a whole thirty minutes. That’s when I got an idea.

 

I went to the nearest Chinese restaurant, and ordered a take-out of spicy rice. I then ran to the nearest bus stop just as the bus was about to leave. I hopped in and sat myself on the seat at the farthest back. The fatigue of the day settled in and I managed to doze off. I woke up in time to see that I still have two stops before I got off.

 

When I arrived at my destination, the landmarks welcomed me like an old friend. On the far right just behind a small diner was the club I performed in just two days ago. I started tracing the route to the park where Chanyeol and I spent the whole night. Two blocks passed and I saw the flower shop where he bought my hyacinths. The memory lifted the corners of my lips and I took a deep breath of the cool night air. I wish I brought my scarf with me. I turned in the next block and saw the big arch that marked the entrance of the park.

 

I looked for our tree, but when I found it, no one was there. Thinking my guess with his location was wrong; I pouted and decided to sit under the tree, just looking at the stars. It was five minutes past eight in the evening. I marked the time just in case I had to remember the last night I’d be surrendering my walls to Chanyeol. When suddenly,

 

“I knew you’d come!” said a deep voice from behind, the familiar voice that made me happy and angry at the same time. I turned to look at him.

 

Chanyeol.

 

There he was, just like that Saturday night. He was bathed in pale yellow light from the street lamp nearby. He wore a striped shirt and skinny jeans, a fat scarf dangling around his neck. He was smiling and it seemed to thaw the cold air around. He slowly walked towards me, hands hidden in his pockets. I felt my stomach churn from excitement. I smiled back at him.

 

He made his way to my side, settling down on the grass huddling close for warmth. “Hi hobo.” I said, taking a closer look at his face. He pursed his lips, forcing to hide his little smile. His eyes looked tired and his hair ruffled in a mess.

 

“I thought you’d stink.” I continued. He laughed, playing with his fingers. When he gazed at me, I suddenly wanted to take away every little thing I said to Dara. But his expression instantly changed.

 

“Hey, what’s with the bandages? What happened to you?” He yelled angrily while touching the cloth wrapped around my wrist. I made a stupid excuse of falling off the stairs at home. But still, he continued.

 

“Why aren’t you wearing your scarf?” he said, a hint of annoyance in his voice. “Ah. Seriously, this sickly child.” And then he took his scarf and wrapped it around my neck. I wanted to hug him. Instead, I took the spicy rice and shoved it at his face.

 

“Here.” He took it. “I figured you’d be eating instant noodles and canned food so here’s some real food for you.” He smiled and then unwrapped the plastic.

 

“Baek, you forgot they also have diners in this part of the world.”  He took a spoonful, one after another. I watched him eat.

 

“Seriously, have you been eating? You look like you haven’t eaten a thing for months judging on the way you eat.”

 

“Shut up. Thank you for this, though. It’s good.” He dug for another and placed the spoon in front of me. “Here open up. Aaah.” He looked like an idiot. I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth. He made a satisfying smile as I started munching.

 

“Delicious, right?” I nodded. He looked pleased and resumed eating. Silence engulfed us for a minute as he ate. I decided to break the silence.

 

“Hey Yeol.”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

 

“I already forgave you remember?” he said matter-of-factly.

 

“Yes, but I want to make it up with you. Anything you want.” He stopped eating and looked at me straight in the eye, sighing.

 

“Baek, you don’t need to do this. You are the closest person to me. Even if you don’t apologize I would still understand because you’re the best thing to me. You should have known that after… after what I told my parents about you yesterday.”

 

I fell silent. He looked sincere under the light of the streetlamp. My heart caught in my throat. I faked a cough.

 

“So if I slap you again tonight, will it be okay with you?” I said, deciding to lighten up the situation. He made a small chuckle.

 

“That hurt.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry.”

 

“Baek.” He sounded like a thoughtful father scolding his son. “Stop apologizing.”

 

“Okay.” I stretched my arms between my legs, a smile forming in my lips. “So when are you coming home? I talked to Grandma earlier.”

 

“Was she looking for me?”

 

“Of course!”

 

“Were they looking for me?”

 

I didn’t answer. Chanyeol carried on talking.

 

“Grandma texted me this afternoon. She told me they’ll file the divorce tomorrow.”

 

“Oh. That was fast.”

 

“They’re businessmen. They can’t afford to waste time.”

 

I looked at him. It was as if he was going to break below the surface of smiles and distractions that he created. I punched his rib. He coughed.

 

“What the hell? What was that for?”

 

“You need to lighten up.”

 

“I’m trying! That’s why I ran away.”

 

“No. You just escaped your problems.”

 

“Then what do you want me to do?”

 

“Go back and face life as it is. To hell with false modesty, but you have us. Grandma, Kai, and your teammates... Me. We’ll make sure you won’t be sad anymore.”

 

He gawked at his food.

 

“Yeah. I still have you.” I gulped.

 

“See? You’re missing out a lot because you’re avoiding all of us.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like, you have a big game by the end of the month and your coach wants you to practice all night until 10PM? Supposedly, starting tonight.” His mouth fell. I laughed.

 

“You just gave me another reason not to come back.” I rolled my eyes. When he finished eating he told me about the past few hours when he ran away from home. He said, it was too much, losing grip. Losing your parents. Losing a happy family. “Losing you,” That’s why he ran away. It was the nearest place he knew where people won’t bother to look for. And it turned out that he really frequented the place because of a nearby studio where he practiced playing guitar and drums with a few locals. He texted me as soon as he realized I actually made sense. He was on the bus by that time. I was in my room bleeding and bawling my eyes out.

 

He asked me about what happened to me that Sunday morning. I said I felt really upset with myself for slapping him in front of his family. By this time, he interrupted me again by saying that I should really stop apologizing. So I told him about Luhan and Kai instead, and about Kai’s antics the whole day begging for my forgiveness. He kept on laughing like an idiot.

 

“And when he gave the hundreds of paper hearts to Luhan the whole class was watching. I felt ashamed for him but the idiot looked like he was enjoying all the attention.”

 

“You should have asked him to give them to Mr. Wu instead!” he suggested in between giggles. I watched as he wiped the tears that formed from too much laughter. And then I remembered Dara, the way she laughed so hard just like him right now.

 

I wish you could make him happy like this, Dara.

 

When he was finished, he finally decided to go home. “But first, let’s go to the hotel I’m staying. I still have to check out and get my things.”

 

“Wow. I thought you were staying under this tree when I read your text.”

 

“You underestimate me, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

I scoffed.

 

 

 

 

When we arrived at the small building, I told him I’d stay outside. But he refused. “Come on inside. It’s cold.” He ordered, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me into the establishment. I followed with a heavy heart. “Plus, I need a little help with packing.” He said, with a smirk and a little wink. I fought for my escape. But when we reached his room, it was unsurprisingly clean like…

 

“You were expecting me to come tonight.”

 

He cackled.

 

“Wishful thinking.” He teased. He took a few clothes from the closet and stuffed it in his bag. There was nothing else to do, so I just sat on the bed and watched him just like when he stayed over in my house a few days ago. The memory made me smile. I traveled my eyes around the room. That’s when I saw a vase of familiar flowers near the window. Chanyeol probably caught me looking, when suddenly he asked.

 

“You want to take ‘em home?”

 

“Huh?” I said, shifting my attention to him.

 

“The flowers.” He said, smiling. I looked at him absentmindedly and thought about Dara and her promise. I grinned.

 

“Nah. Just leave them here.”

 

“Oh.” Chanyeol was clearly puzzled. “Okay. Whatever suits you.”

 

When he finished, I quickly went outside and told him I’ll just wait in the veranda. A few moments later, he followed. He paid his bill and then we started walking towards the bus stop. He was humming a familiar tune, tilting his head from left to right.

 

“That’s 'Live High', right?” I asked, he looked down at me, and then smiled. He nodded, and adjusted the scarf around my neck.

 

“You look better now.”

 

“Why? How’d I look earlier?” I grinned remembering the last time he asked the same question.

 

“Like .” I chuckled. I guess, he, too, remembered and joined in my laughter.

 

“Listen, Baek.” He said as soon as the hilarity faded.

 

“Yes?” I looked at him, and he was looking at the stars. He took my hand and wrapped his fingers around it. I was stunned and watched our entwined hands. And then he looked at me, smiling.

 

“Whatever happens tomorrow, I’m glad we had today.”

 

I gazed at him, and the longer I stared, the more my heart hurt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeah. Whatever happens tomorrow, I’m glad we had today.


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

DO YOU REALIZE HOW SYMBOLIC THE SCENE WHERE BAEKHYUN ASKED CHANYEOL TO LEAVE THE FLOWERS YES YES? T.T

I promise to keep your tears falling for the next chapters to come. What will happen to Baekhyun now that Dara's in their lives? Will this plan work? Will he make Chanyeol happy?

I am deeply saddened to say that it would take a week for the next chapter to come because of acads ;A; I'll try to post a double chapter.

We're halfway through the story omg and I thank you so much for every comment you leave in the comment section. You've all been so nice to me so I promise to step up my game for the next chapters. If you like what you're reading, upvote this story. If not, I'll hear you out in the comments! I'll listen to your suggestions and reactions. Maybe, I'll even use your comment to change/build the course of the story :3

Again thank you so much and please hold on for the next chapter!