Part IX

My Maria

 

 

 

The walk to school the next day was like the longest I’ve taken in my life. Although I was able to talk to Dara the night before, I couldn’t shake the feeling of uncertainty. And with every step, it grew. How weird was it to pour out a part of you to someone you’ve just known over the phone? Never mind that she was nice – truth is I actually felt good talking to her – I’m just scared with how she’ll affect my life in the next days or if she’ll actually do me my favor. And I haven’t talked to my mom yet. She wasn’t home when I left. So the explanation has to be pushed to a later time.

 

And then there’s the Parks. I haven’t kept in touch with them after the incident. An apology would have sufficed for what I’ve done although I’m actually scared to see them right now.

 

I sighed loudly and continued walking towards the busiest street in town. It was already bustling with activity as the stores started opening up for business. All my senses came to life from the aroma of freshly baked bread in the air, bright flowers on rows of pots, honks of cars trapped in early morning traffic jam, chuckles by high school girls, and the warmth of the sun on my face. Maybe it was just the coffee but I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I looked at the bandages around my wrists and started to feel the faint burning underneath. They didn’t hurt as much as yesterday but still the sting’s there, if you get to touch the wrong place. Even the scenery wasn’t helping, it seemed to mock the day that I was planning to have.

 

One step at a time, Baekhyun. Today you are going to break your heart.

 

As I turned into the corner where the school is, I saw a familiar face walking amidst the crowd.  Kai. He was wearing a beanie so that his lips were emphasized by the morning sun. He was walking by himself, giving high fives to people he knew on the road and checking out what color of bra the girls wore today. I rolled my eyes. I was about to call him but as soon as his head turned to me, he gave a big smile and started running towards my direction. Well, time for a distraction then.

 

“’Sup Bacon!” he said as soon as he wrapped his one arm around my neck. I grudgingly clawed to free myself. He just laughed at my helplessness. Seeing that I won’t get my freedom with unripe tactics, I threw my strongest card on the table.

 

“Ouch!” I said faking a fractured wrist. I winced and held my right arm, carefully placing my fingers on the dressing wrapped around my hand. Without hesitation, Kai instantly removed his arm and helped me.

 

“Are you okay? Jesus, I am a bad friend. I’m so sorry,” he said, trying to coax me by rubbing my elbow with his fingers. I looked at him with a pained expression trying to fish out his panic but the look on his face promptly made me roar in laughter. He looked at me confused. And then the confusion turned into a scowl of betrayal. I fixed myself and decided to rub his chin playfully.

“Aw our poor Kai got tricked.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Omo! Come here let me hug you.”

 

“Go away.”

 

“I love you too,” I said and then belched a loud snort. He answered with an annoyed smirk.

 

Ah friends. How can someone live without them? If I hadn’t talked to Luhan last night, I might still be wallowing over my guilt in my room, drapes closed and a tub of ice cream nearby. Thanks to Kai, the butterflies tearing in my stomach have receded and the day seemed a little easier to bear. We continued walking towards school with the stream of people coming from all directions. I started humming a light tune while looking at my feet, when I realized Kai wasn’t as noisy compared to the usual. I looked at him. He had his hands raised to the back of his head, and his thoughts somewhere far away. I decided to pry.

 

“You’re acting weird.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said you’re acting weird.”

 

“I’m just pissed.”

 

“With what I did? Serves you right.”

 

“Nope. Not about that.”

 

“Then what?” I asked, feeling a bit curious with what’s bothering Kai’s usually who-cares-about-the-world aura. He grabbed his beanie before exploding.

 

“We have a big game at the end of the month and coach wants us to practice every ing night until 10 P.M. starting today. How convenient is that?”

 

“Sounds great.” I said, cringing. And then, I remembered Chanyeol. More time away from Chanyeol for the next days, then. Great. I smiled to myself trying to weigh whether it was a good thing that I won’t be seeing Chanyeol after school for at least a couple of days. That’s when Kai asked suddenly.

 

“Where the is Chanyeol, anyway?”

 

I creased my forehead. “What do you mean ‘where is he’? I don’t know. Might be on his way to school by now.” That guy was usually late for class. I wonder if he forgets to wear his socks this time. Oh god, he might even forget wearing his briefs again.  I was too busy trying to push away the thoughts of Chanyeol going to school without underwear that I almost missed it when Kai stopped on his tracks all of a sudden, leaving a bewildered me ahead. I turned back to look at him.

 

“Wait, you don’t know?” he asked.

 

“Know what?”

 

“Chanyeol’s missing.”

  

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” I said in a fleeting rage as soon as we entered the classroom. I could see I’ve raised my voice because all pairs of eyes turned to look at us. I couldn’t even bother to bat them an eyelid, I was so pissed off. With Kai. With Luhan. With Chanyeol. And I thought my day was getting better. Kai was trailing me a few steps behind, scratching his head.

 

“I- I thought you already knew. You’re his best friend after all!”

 

Ha! Best friend my . Where the hell is that idiot? As soon as I dropped my bag on my seat, I started storming out of the room.  Kai was shouting words from behind me but I didn’t care. Just when I was nearing the door, Luhan appeared. He gave me a bright smile.

 

“He-,” it quickly disappeared when he realized there was something wrong. I pierced his eyes with my gaze, never losing eye contact until I passed by him.

 

“Luhan! Stop him. I think he’ll go look for Chanyeol.” Kai exclaimed, sounding alarmed.

 

“ I might be.” I said nonchalantly, dodging the students in the hallway. Just when I passed the last classroom on our wing, I heard a set of footsteps approaching from behind.

 

“Hey Baekhyun,” it was Luhan. I didn’t look at him.

 

“Did you know he was gone?” I asked. He nodded. I sighed making a fist with my left hand.

 

“Gosh you’re the worst.”

 

“Baek-”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I figured it wasn’t a good time to make you worry.”

 

“So, now is?” I looked at him, with furrowed brows.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said, silently. I sighed and kept looking ahead with no sense of direction. He continued following me as I walked across the building. Here’s the hallway where the juniors are. Maybe his teammates know where he is. I’ll ask them, or maybe the coach. But then I realized even Kai didn’t know his whereabouts by now. Even I didn’t know. And I’m supposed to be his best friend. Chanyeol, you piece of . Where the hell am I going to look for you?

 

“Are you planning to cut class to look for him?” Luhan asked in a spur of the moment as we arrived to the stairs leading to the second floor of the building. I stopped walking.

 

“No. I…“ My eyes searched for something to distract me but failed. I continued talking. “I actually don’t know what to do,” I finally said.  I looked at him and he gave me a knowing smile. He patted my shoulders and took my phone from my pants.

 

“Well, for starters...” he said, snooping in my phone. After a few swipes and touches he showed me the screen. “…you might want to read this.”

 

It was Chanyeol’s message I’ve been ignoring for the last couple of hours. I looked at him, searching for an approval. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. I took the phone, stared at the screen while biting my lip. His name screamed at me in bold letters. Yesterday, I was afraid of what the text message contained. But now that Chanyeol’s gone, it was like a compass to this unexpected journey wherein the needle will point me to where my idiot friend is. I took a deep breath and tapped on the screen.

 

hey Baek. I forgive you. :) I am sorry too. :(

pls dont worry so much while ’m gone. I hate seeing your wrinkled forehead.

U can always find me.

p.s. I asked the lady for some more hyacinths and daffodils for u. ehehe

 ;----)

 

You ing idiot.

 

 I should have known better. I slapped my forehead with my palm. My anger turned into a smile in just a few seconds while reading his text message. I looked at Luhan who gave me a confused look.  

 

“Hey I’m still here. Mind if you spill the details?” Luhan said, his eyes widening in exasperation.

 

“I know where the hell he is.”

 

“Thank god! Then go!”

 

“Go beg for him to come to school? Nah.”

 

“But that sounds like a good idea!”

 

“Seriously? Let him be. He needs it after what happened.”

 

“What about his parents? Won’t they be worried?”

 

That’s when I remembered the Parks. I should have called after the confrontation. They would be worried sick. Or would they? Maybe they’re in their respective business appointments by now. What concerns me most now is Grandma. I should call her. But as soon as I turned to look for the phone booth, the bell rang.

 

“.” Luhan and I both exclaimed. And then we started running back to our classroom.

 

Maybe later.

 

First period went as if my bladder was about to explode. The wait watching the clock’s hands ticking slowly round was very agonizing. Worse was Kai wasn’t helping. He kept on bothering me with small pieces of paper filled with apologies. Luhan kept on laughing in his seat silently, looking at the two of us. By the end of the third period, I had like fifty pieces of torn paper and when the teacher left I took them all and showered them on him.

 

“Mother nature isn’t happy with you Kai,” I said and then hurried off to go look for the phone booth. I wasn’t sure but I heard Luhan burst into laughter as I ran away.

 

My fingers tapped nervously on the phone as time passed without anyone answering. What if Grandma’s already sick? What it Mr. and Mrs. Park already filed the divorce without Chanyeol? What if Chanyeol never comes back home? What will happen to Grandma? The blame’s totally on me. If only I didn’t slap Chanyeol in front of them. When all of a sudden, a voice answered the phone.

 

“Hello. Park residence.” It was the familiar voice of the old woman.

 

“Grandma? Hello grandma are you alright?”

 

“Baekhyun?” she suddenly beamed with a little chuckle from the other end of the line.

 

“Yes grandma. Are you okay?”

 

“I see you’re now comfortable calling me grandma.” I blushed.

 

“I-” Okay time to apologize. “I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. It’s just that Chanyeol was acting like a spoiled brat in front of you and it hurt to see you all like that. I am so sorry.” I said, pouring every little word with all my heart. I heard a hearty laugh from my speakers.

 

“It’s alright Baekhyun. I actually admired what you said after.” She said. “Chanyeol looked dumbfounded but what you said made sense anyway. When you left, I talked to him.”

 

“I told him you were a keeper.” The redness on my face seemed to get a shade deeper.

 

“Oh.” I managed to say because my mind went blank after that. “What about Mr. and Mrs. Park? Were they angry with me?”

 

Grandma cleared before answering. “He was flabbergasted of course but he kept his silence the whole time. I know my son, he understood what you did. As for his wife, she kept on looking at the door smiling when you went home.”

 

“She told me she really liked you and that whatever happens with their divorce, she’s very thankful her child met you.”

 

And all this time, I thought I ruined a family when here they were telling me how wonderful I was. I feel bad for judging this family with just one breakfast.

 

“I am glad to hear that grandma. And glad to hear you’re okay.”

 

“Well, I’ve had bigger problems while getting old.” She said with a laugh. I can’t help but share it.

 

“Grandma, I know where Chanyeol is by the way.”

 

“Take that child away from this place will you?” she said with a chuckle. I smiled.

 

“I’ll promise I’ll bring him home later.”

 

“Okay Baekhyun, I know you’ll take good care of him.”

 

“Isn’t that too much responsibility though?” I said groaning, and then I smiled before continuing. It was as if I would actually have a great day today.

 

“I will Grandma.”

 

 

 

The next classes flew in a flash except for cooking class that is, when Kai started making cookies when the recipe for the day was baked potatoes. He designed his cookies with “I am sorry”s and “Forgive me”s. Like what happened in first period, there was Luhan again laughing at Kai’s helplessness. His cookies were great but I stuffed them all in his pocket.

 

“Mother nature’s still angry with you, Kai,” I said eyeing all the flour he wasted on the counter. As what was expected, the teacher scolded him and he left class eating all his biscuits himself. However, when lunch came, I decided to stop playing with him. Luhan was with me the whole day and we decided to take Kai away from his teammates just this once.

 

“So, is Mother Nature still angry with me?” Kai asked as soon as we settled on our table, pouting at me. I rolled my eyes and shoved the bubble tea at his face.

 

“Here. You’re forgiven, so please stop with all the embarrassing antics, will you?” I said before finally digging in my food. Kai made a big toothed grin and punched the drink with a straw. Luhan just crossed his arms.

 

“Now it would be just an ordinary day without Kai’s weirdness.” He said and then poked on his rice with his chopsticks. I looked at him while munching, and then a bright idea came.

 

“Okay Kai, change of plans. I’ll forgive you if you make a hundred paper hearts for this friend of ours by the end of class.” Kai’s eyes and Luhan’s mouth widened. The looks on their faces were unbelievable that I almost choked on what I was eating, suppressing my laugh.

 

“You’re serious?” Kai shouted.

 

“He’s serious.” Luhan said, giggling. I nodded in agreement. He banged his head on the table. Luhan and I laughed our fills.

 

During class, we watched Kai fold papers into origami hearts religiously, never minding the silly looks our classmates gave him and even the inquiries of our teachers. “It’s for my girlfriend, sir,” he said when cold Mr. Wu asked him about it. That garnered him hushed sighs and knowing smiles from the other students. Luhan and I thought we’d fart with all the laughs we’ve been holding since lunch. By the time last period came, Kai was done with his punishment. He looked tired but the satisfaction on his face was evident as he watched the numerous little hearts pouring on his table. He looked at us, Luhan and I, as soon as the professor went out of the room. The girls in the classroom were already huddling up around Kai’s chair eagerly wanting to see who Kai’s mystery girl is. I almost fell off my chair trying to imagine all the looks on their faces when they see all the hearts were for Luhan.

 

And my imagination wasn’t far from the truth. When Kai offered his masterpiece to Luhan (he even prepared a small speech), all the girls squealed, some in delight and some in confusion. The boys were all laughing and whooping. I thought Kai would get embarrassed with all the attention, but when I looked at him, he was smiling like an idiot. Luhan was laughing all the time never minding the crowd around them. It was a beautiful scene complete with the sun setting behind them, that I was totally drowned in it all. It was only when my phone rang that I was brought back to reality.

 

Sunbae. I’m alr under d cherry tree. Where r u? It’s bad to make a girl wait! keke

 

.

 

I immediately ran towards the direction of the cafeteria.  I totally forgot about our meeting. Her text brought back all the uneasiness I felt in the morning. What should I expect? Her mere presence might drive me crazy knowing that she’s the one Chanyeol likes. But I arranged this meeting. I wanted this. No turning back now. So, as I neared the cherry tree I breathed in deep, in the hopes of gaining strength from the air.

 

From afar, I thought no one was under the tree. It was a pretty big structure, sill lush even if it was autumn. It was shrouded in light, the branches swaying to the breeze that appeared to be whispering secrets to the leaves. When a figure came out from behind of the tree, my assumption was then dismissed.

 

It appeared to be a girl wearing a sweater and a long skirt. Dara. Her gait as she walked back and forth was like the lull of the gentle wind, delicate and beautiful. When I was a few steps away from the tree, I stopped running and slowly walked towards her direction. That’s when she caught sight of me. “Pretty” doesn’t sum up to what I saw – she is beautiful. Her photograph doesn’t do justice to the reality in front of me. When she smiled, it could launch an army of men ready to do anything for her. Her eyes sparkled from the rays of the sunset. And her skin, bathed in fiery reds and oranges, looked like pure canvas set for paint. No wonder Chanyeol fell for her.

 

“Are you Baekhyun sunbae?” she said with a small smile. The curl of her lips was an addicting sight. I didn’t notice she was already staring at me for a couple of seconds before I answered.

 

“Oh. Yes yes. I’m sorry.” I said, scratching my head and then extending my hand. She answered with a laugh and shook it.

 

“Nice to meet you!” She tilted her head, as if examining me. I felt undressed.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

She looked at me, her eyes questioning. “Nothing. It’s just that I expected you to be…taller.” I gulped. And then groaned.

 

Luhan.

 

“What else did Luhan tell you?” I asked, slowly walking towards the big stone propped near the roots. She followed a bit, giggling.

 

“That your voice was really deep and you had pointy ears.”

 

“He’s describing Chanyeol.”

 

“Oh.” She put her hand in front of . “The guy you were talking about?”

 

I nodded. She continued on saying that Luhan was really insistent. He found out that she was single and told her I was single too. He said we’d be a great match and all. That was why she kept asking whether our meeting was supposed to be a date. I laughed all the time she was talking. It was the way she told her story. It wasn’t what you expect from a delicate maiden. Her facial expressions were very animated and when she finds that special spot in her laugh, she snorts. When she ended her account on her conversation with Luhan, the tension, surprisingly, dissipated. And then I noticed that the sky started getting darker.

 

“Say, how about we go to the nearest coffee shop?” I asked when her hysteria subsided. She looked at me wiping the tears that formed on her eyes from laughing. God, she still looked beautiful! She nodded and I helped her up from her seat.

 

On the way, we talked about her. She was a junior and she loved watching basketball. “It’s the excitement sunbae!” she exclaimed, her eyes wide, hands clawing my uniform. “The adrenaline of the players is shared to the audience with every tick of the clock.” Unfortunately, she hardly knows Chanyeol or the other players. But she knew Kai, because once after practice, he suddenly shouted at her from the other side of the court. When she told me this, she posed on the road; arms crossed and chin held high.

 

“Hey, lady on the bleachers! Can I get your number?” She said, imitating Kai. Her personification of Kai was so convincing that the people on the road gave us curious stares because we were laughing so hard. She found out later from the girls that were pissed off of her, that he was Kai. They were his fans and they were so jealous she got noticed instead of them.

 

“Of course. You are so beautiful.” I said, the words slipped from my mouth before I could stop myself. By that time, we were already in front of the coffee shop and I started walking towards the entrance, when I realized she halted. I looked at her. Her eyes were fixed on the road.

 

“Hey what’s wrong?” I asked. When she lifted her gaze to me, she wore a bitter smile. When she spoke, her words were startling and heavy.

 

“I wish people could like me not by what they see. I wish people could like me because I’m fun to hang out with, I’m intelligent, witty, those sorts of things. Not because I have nice eyes or nice nose or something,”

I was stunned. I did not expect that to come from her. How could this girl complain when she looked as if she could control the world in her hand? I can’t believe people like her exist. They believe the superficial is a minor characteristic and what matters is what is inside. Little by little I started to like her for what she showed to me. I smiled and invited her in the establishment.   

 

It was a quiet store. Only five other customers were in the big hall, and it was as if the curtains have been drawn because it was dimly lit. We opted for a table on the patio overlooking the road. Upon ordering our cupcakes and hot chocolates, she took matters into her own hands.

 

“So what’s the deal with this Chanyeol guy?” She clasped her hands and rested her face on them. She looked cute, but it wasn’t a good enough distraction. I sighed.

 

Here it goes, Baekhyun.

 

“Well, he told me he first saw you during basketball practice last week.” She nodded, trying to remember the past week. I hesitated for a bit, weighing my want and the consequences of this meeting. Once I say the words, I cannot bring them back.

 

“He’s tall, probably the tallest in the team. Well, like Luhan told you, he had pointy ears. And sometimes when he smiles…”

 

“…he twitches his eyes?” she continued. I nodded fervently.  Is this really what I wanted?

 

“Oh yes! I’ve seen him. He’s really the tallest guy in the team. And I figured he’s buds with Kai because they play together a lot.”

 

I looked at her and tried to imagine her holding hands with Chanyeol. The image seemed appealing even to me. Chanyeol’s height could easily complement Dara’s shortness. And knowing Chanyeol, he’ll slow down walking just so her short legs could adjust to his pace. I smiled to myself as that little funny feeling in my chest came back from its slumber.

 

“So, is he your type?” I gulped.

 

“He’s okay. But wait. Why are you asking?”

 

I rested my arm on the table and moved my head closer to hers so that the space between our faces was just a few centimeters apart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Please be his girlfriend.”

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I am late again. ;A; I was trying to post a double chapter to make up for the three months delay but it was taking too much time and ideas so I just posted this right away. Chapter X is 20% done yey! I'll post it soon. :3

I listened to Radiohead's Creep while writing this. It's the song Chanyeol sang in EXO SHOWTIME E06 :3 

I am really thankful with the response coming from all of you. I hope you keep commenting and crtiquing my work on the comments box because it really is a big thing for me :')