chapter 6

Bite Me

chapter 6

 

 

"So is Jungwook okay? I-- won't he wonder where I went?" Sunggyu asks Woohyun over lunch. Though Sunggyu is the only one eating. 

"Myungsoo made him forget that night. He won't remember you coming over," Woohyun answers and Sunggyu wonders if that's better or not. But if he doesn't remember seeing Sunggyu, then he must think he hasn't heard from Sunggyu in three days. Thankfully, Myungsoo had grabbed Sunggyu's phone from Jungwook's apartment and Sunggyu texts Jungwook, telling him he's okay and that he'd call him later. 

"I shouldn't leave for a while, right? How long do you think it will take?" Sunggyu says after a bite of his sandwich. 

Woohyun props his arm up on the table and leans on his hand, gazing at Sunggyu. He doesn't say anything for several moments, and Sunggyu wonders if he'd heard him. "To be completely honest, I have no idea. Myungsoo says only another few days, but even then we can't be too far apart. Are you still planning on going to school?" Woohyun asks and Sunggyu narrows his eyes slightly. 

"Of course I'm going to go to school. I paid a lot of money to go to school and I worked really hard to get in. I'm not just going to abandon all my hard work." 

"But I have lots of money and you won't have to work a day in your life from now on. I haven't told you, have I? That the bond between us extends your life."

"What? Extends my life?"

"It's all very complicated. Myungsoo knows much more than I do. It's some magic that does it. You should ask Myungsoo to explain it to you."

"I-- does that mean I'm never going to get older?"

"Yes."

"But what about my friends? My family? They'll get older and I won't and--" 

Woohyun reaches over and places his hand gently atop Sunggyu's. Sunggyu cuts off and he looks at Woohyun. "Let's not think about that now. You're still getting used to all of," Woohyun waves vaguely around him, "this. Take it slow. We've got time."

Somehow, Woohyun is able to talk Sunggyu down with simple words. He nods and is silently thankful for Woohyun's hand still on his. 

 

______

 

Sunggyu tries his best to keep Jungwook at bay without giving away any information. But the texts come several fold, increasing with each passing day. "I-- what am I supposed to even tell him?" Sunggyu complains, watching as the texts flood in. He can only tell Jungwook that he's staying at his parents' home for so long. He's still enrolled in university, still has an apartment that he has to pay for. 

"Jesus, my apartment! All my stuff is still there--" 

Woohyun places his hands on Sunggyu's knees, and although Sunggyu is still getting used to this intimacy between them, Woohyun's touch calms him. He quiets, chewing on his bottom lip in thought as Woohyun's thumb traces faint circles on the inside of his knee. 

"I'll take care of your apartment," Woohyun says. "And your university--"

"No! I-- uh, I can still go to university, right?"

Woohyun looks down, hands stilling. "Sunggyu, you're already in danger as it is, I don't think it would be wise for you to leave the house."

"I can't be locked in here forever. I'll go insane."

"I know, Sunggyu. I understand. But your safety is my top priority."

Sunggyu looks at Woohyun, searching his face. He knows, even without Woohyun telling him so. He can feel how desperate Woohyun is and the feeling is so deep within him that Sunggyu is unsure of where Woohyun's emotions stop and Sunggyu's start. So he leaves the issue alone for now and Woohyun seems grateful for it. 

 

_________

 

The courtyard is not particularly well kept and Sunggyu wanders the grounds aimlessly as he looks upon the wild bushes and weeds, dead from the winter. It's a little depressing, he thinks. He's no green thumb but he may start to learn. After all, Woohyun's library is endless and he's sure there's at least one book on gardening. 

He senses more than hears Woohyun fall into step beside him. He's still getting used to the bond, being able to feel what Woohyun is feeling, sense where he is. It's mostly the emotions he needs to get used to. He's never felt so strongly about someone before, and the emotions didn't build up over an extended period of time -- they crashed into him like a freight train. 

"Are you cold?" Woohyun asks. 

"Not really," Sunggyu answers, but his hands are in his pockets and his shoulders unconsciously tense up when the wind blows. 

Woohyun chuckles and he snakes his arm around Sunggyu's waist. "Wow, you're seriously warm," Sunggyu muses. 

"I can change my body temperature at will."

"That's-- insane. It's-- what else can vampires do?"

"Hm," Woohyun says, corner of his mouth quirking up. "I can do lots of things."

"What about garlic? Crosses? Wooden stakes? Do those kill you?"

Woohyun bursts into laughter at that, and Sunggyu pouts. "Why are you laughing at me? This is all new to me!"

"No, no, I'm well aware of the beliefs humans have about vampires. But most of it isn't quite true. Garlic and crosses do nothing, and a wooden stake could kill a vampire but it's not the only thing that can. Silver will do the job, too."

"And you won't burn up in the sun?" Sunggyu glances up at the sky. It's overcast currently, but the sun's rays are peeking through the thick clouds in patches.

"Vampires are weaker in the day and staying in direct sunlight too long can be fatal, but no, we do not 'burn up.'"

"That's-- good."

"Were you worried about me?" Woohyun stops and Sunggyu comes to a halt beside him. Woohyun tugs him close, wrapping his arms around his waist and hugging him tightly. Sunggyu gasps, skin tingling where Woohyun touches him. 

"Is... something wrong?" Sunggyu asks quietly, hands coming up to rest on Woohyun's lower back. 

Woohyun shakes his head and Sunggyu can feel his smile. "I'm just glad. I've waited for you for so long."

"I-- I think I have, too."

 

________

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu sit face to face, Woohyun writing while Sunggyu has his nose stuck in an old book. Their silent peace is interrupted, however, when the door opens and Myungsoo walks through, Sungyeol at his side. 

"You've got a visitor," Myungsoo says.

"Who could possibly be visiting me?" Woohyun asks. He places his pen down on the table and faces Myungsoo, eyes him carefully. 

Before Myungsoo can answer, a woman enters the study swiftly. She's gorgeous and curvy and walks with the dignity of a queen. She doesn't look at Woohyun, though. She goes straight to Sunggyu, reaching out to take his hands in hers. She smiles at him and he blinks in surprise. 

"Ailee, what are you doing here?" Woohyun stands and walks over to them, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"For the soiree, of course!"