chapter 19

Bite Me

chapter 19

 

 

Sunggyu is panting and his body feels weird. He’s so disoriented and shaken that he can barely register his surroundings. His hair sticks to his forehead and he blinks rapidly. “Sunggyu? Sunggyu, what’s wrong?”

 

            Sungyeol’s kneeling beside the couch, a look of concern etched into his features. Sunggyu slowly comes back to his senses and looks at Sungyeol, slowing his breathing. “Oh… I just had a weird dream. I’m fine,” Sunggyu answers.

 

            Sungyeol nods, weary. “Are you sure?”

 

            “I’m alright, Yeol. Don’t worry about it.”

 

            “If you say so.”

 

            Sungyeol gets back to eating his snacks and telling Sunggyu about some game he was playing but Sunggyu’s not really listening. He’s thinking about Sungjae’s words, his offer. He thinks back to when he was kidnapped, how Sungjae had said that he was the one then, too. And how Sungjae had said that he needed Sunggyu to wake someone up and Sunggyu almost hits himself because he forgot to ask what that meant. Sunggyu doesn’t really know what to think because there’s no way he can trust Sungjae. Maybe Sungjae is lying to him? Maybe Sungjae doesn’t care about the curse at all and just wants it for himself.

 

            Another problem eats away at his mind. Should he tell Woohyun? Should he tell anyone? But Woohyun wouldn’t even give him an option. But he doesn’t know if he can go three days without saying anything to Woohyun.

 

            Sunggyu buries his face into the couch and just wishes the floor would open up and swallow him whole.

 

 

            Sunggyu timidly pushes open the door to the archive and peers in. Sungyeol gives him a firm push and he stumbles in, almost taking out a small bookshelf with him. “Myungsoo, did you find anything?” Sungyeol calls and his voice echoes off the walls.

 

            “Yeol, you don’t like books. I’m surprised you came in,” Myungsoo says, stepping out from behind a nearby bookshelf, a massive book open in his hands. He’s bookmarked some pages but there are so many and Sunggyu wonders if it’ll really get them anywhere. Should he tell them what he knows? How is he supposed to explain how he met with Sungjae?

 

            Myungsoo catches Sunggyu eyeing the book, lip drawn between his teeth. “I wanted to see how far you’ve gotten,” Sungyeol shrugs and hops over to Myungsoo’s side, looking at the open page of the book. Myungsoo catches Sunggyu’s eyes and holds his gaze. Myungsoo knows Sunggyu is uneasy – he can read and control emotions after all. Myungsoo hands the book to Sungyeol who almost drops to the floor because this book is so freaking heavy. He stands in front of Sunggyu and raises his eyebrows. “Later,” Sunggyu mouths. He at hiding his feelings and Myungsoo is the last person he’d ever be able to hide what he’s really thinking from. Myungsoo is sensible so maybe he’ll understand. And give Sunggyu some advice.

 

            Myungsoo nods understandingly and takes the book back from Sungyeol. “You should work out, Yeol. Then maybe you could carry that book,” Myungsoo says jokingly.

 

            Suddenly an arm is being thrown over Sunggyu’s shoulder and he looks to his side to see Hoya smiling at him. “Came to check up on me?”

 

            Before Sunggyu gets a chance to answer he’s being pulled away and gathered into Woohyun’s arms, his back pressed against Woohyun’s firm chest. “Oi, don’t let him do that,” Woohun frowns.

 

            Sunggyu would argue but he doesn’t and maybe it’s because he thinks that if he opens his mouth he’ll just spill it all out and he’s scared to do that. So he instead mutters a quiet sorry before burying his face in Woohyun’s arm. Woohyun looks at him, a little surprised by his reluctance to argue about Woohyun being overprotective or something. “Is something wrong?” he asks.

 

            “W-what? No, it’s just the remnants of my hangover.”

 

            Woohyun kisses his temple as if to soothe the pain, to take away all the thoughts clouding his mind. Sunggyu feels bad for lying (is it lying?) but he won’t say anything until he talks to Myungsoo. Surely Myungsoo will be able to tell him what to do.

 

            “So what have you discovered?” Sungyeol says, resting his head on Myungsoo’s shoulder.

 

            “Well, let’s see. Sungjae is a prick followed by a group of little pricks that bend at his will and—”

 

            “We already knew that, Woohyun,” Myungsoo says.

 

            “We’ve made no progress is what he’s trying to say,” Hoya closes his book and places it down on a table beside him. “How long have we been here? A few hours? I think we should take a break.”

 

            “I’ll just go put this away, then. Go on ahead without me. I’ll be out in a minute,” Myungsoo says, placing another bookmark into his page and closing the book.

 

            “I’ll help you,” Sunggyu squeaks.

 

            “Perfect,” Myungsoo says and then he’s walking ahead and Sunggyu’s following. “Come out quickly,” Woohyun calls behind him.

 

            A moment passes before Myungsoo speaks. “They’re out of ear shot now,” he says, stopping at a bookshelf. “Feel free to say what’s on your mind. But whisper.”

 

            Sunggyu bites his lip, takes a deep breath, before whispering, “I met with Sungjae. In something like a dream. He said it was a world he fabricated so we could talk.”

 

            Myungsoo looks at him. “And when did you meet him?”

 

            “When I was asleep just now.”

 

            “I’ve heard of some people who can do that. Create imaginary realms to people into for whatever reason. What did he talk to you about?”

 

            “He told me what he wanted me for.”

 

            Myungsoo turns to him, eyebrows raised. “What does he want?”

 

            “He said something about a key that would grant any wish and break any curse. He said he wanted it to break the curse vampires are under – the curse about becoming lunatics. He told me that the key was hiding somewhere that only a certain person could get to and that person is me, apparently because my ancestor is the one who made the key.”

 

            Myungsoo, by this point, is showing some of the most expression Sunggyu’s ever seen on him. Other than when he lets a smile slip, or when he looks at Sungyeol, he’s fairly expressionless. “You mean he’s looking for that?”

 

            “Whatever that is, yeah.”

 

            “There are many names for it but most refer to it as just the Key. It was crafted by an old sage who wanted to save his dying lover. Ultimately, she refused to use the Key and instead died. He hid it and wrote that one day he wanted his successor to find it and use it for something they will need. It’s a myth, though.”

 

            “He told me he was trying to find the entrance to where it was located and that I would know how to navigate once I got there.”

 

            Myungsoo lets out a small laugh. “And Fate would have it that you are the one; the prince’s Claimed is the one. It fits, I suppose. There was always something different about you. Woohyun knows it, too, but I think he doesn’t want to believe anything like that could be true.”

 

            “Sungjae told me that he wanted to use the Key to break the curse and he gave me three days to make a decision. But I don’t trust Sungjae. What should I do?”

 

            “It’s good that you don’t trust him.”

 

            “What do I tell Woohyun? He’ll be furious.”

 

            “The Key has been sought after for centuries. If people find out that you are the only one who can locate it, everyone will be trying to get you. Vampires, witches, werewolves, shape shifters, you name it. The Council will want you, too, and you can bet they’ll stop at nothing to get you. Especially since you are already so close to them.”

 

            “So what are you getting at?”

           

            “I will talk to Woohyun for you, calm him down so that he doesn’t destroy half the house.”

 

            “Thanks, Myungsoo.”

 

            Myungsoo starts to walk, brushing past Sunggyu but stopping close to him. “The decision is yours to make but please think about it carefully. Consider every possibility, ever consequence, and every outcome. Don’t make a rash decision and just go with whatever your gut tells you to.”

 

            Sunggyu nods but realizes that Myungsoo can’t see him. “Sungyeol’s lucky to have someone like you,” he says instead.

 

            Myungsoo glances at him over his shoulder and grins. “If only Woohyun could hear you say that.”

 

            When Sunggyu blinks and opens his eyes, Myungsoo is already at the door, pushing it open and stepping through. Sunggyu jogs lightly after.

 

 

            “What took you guys so long?” Sungyeol asks suspiciously.

 

            Sunggyu shrugs. “You know how big that archive is? Myungsoo couldn’t remember where he’d gotten the book from.”

 

            “Woohyun, can I speak with you?” Myungsoo gestures for the room adjacent to the kitchen. “It’s important.”

 

            Woohyun narrows his eyes, follows Myungsoo into the room, the door shutting behind them. Sungyeol tiptoes up to the door and presses his ear against it, flattening his entire body to the door. “What are you—”

 

            “Shh!” Sungyeol hisses, holding up a finger to his lips.

 

            Sunggyu shakes his head but finds himself drifting over gradually until he’s squished beside Sungyeol. He presses his ear against the door and strains to hear. It’s muffled but if he shuts out everything he can make out what they’re saying. Hoya is sitting at the counter, curious as well, leaning a little bit forward.

 

            “Sungjae wants the Key. That’s why he needs Sunggyu,” they hear Myungsoo start.

 

            “The Key? It can’t be… is it possible?”

 

            “It is so, unfortunately. Sunggyu is the only way to find the Key. You noticed it, too, didn’t you? That Sunggyu was much more than just a human you fell in love with.” Sunggyu blushes – he always gets this fluttery feeling when he hears Woohyun’s in love with him.

 

            “I suppose I did. But how do we know for sure?”

 

            “Sungjae followed his bloodline until he found the Creator – Sunggyu’s ancestor. Sunggyu’s the one. It has to be Sunggyu. There’s no guarantee that another one will come around, and if they did it would be in a thousand or so years.”

 

            “So what do we do? I can’t put Sunggyu through the maze. I would never do that. No one knows what’s in it and there’s no guarantee I could protect him.”

 

            “But this might be the only chance to get the Key. We have to consider our options.”

 

            “I don’t need the Key.”

 

            “But don’t you know? One day it’ll all be over for you. You’re surrounded by darkness. Don’t you think it’d be easy to fall under?”

 

            “I can fight the darkness with Sunggyu by my side.”

 

            “And what about the rest of us? Your soon-to-be kingdom.”

 

            Woohyun doesn’t say anything so Myungsoo continues. “And what happens when people find out? Every single monster in every realm will hunt him down.”

 

            “And how did we receive this information? If Sungjae is the one who discovered the truth then how do we know? Do others already know?”

 

            “Sungjae is a dreamweaver. He visited Sunggyu only an hour or so ago. I don’t believe others know but we do not know Sungjae well.”

 

            Silence. Sungyeol and Sunggyu look at each other, a little confused. Suddenly the door is open and the two fall onto their bottoms, surprised. Woohyun is standing there, this unreadable look in his dark eyes as he gazes down at Sunggyu. Reaching out, he pulls Sunggyu into his arms and holds him tightly. “Woohyun?” Sunggyu asks, voice muffled by Woohyun’s shirt.

 

            “I’m sorry,” is all he says. Sunggyu nods and wraps his arms around Woohyun’s neck, threading his fingers through his hair and whispering, “It’ll be okay,” in his ear.