chapter 23

Bite Me

chapter 23

 

Woohyun isn’t happy when he hears the news. “You let him do what?” his voice is loud and angry in the simple room. Sunggyu winces and genuinely feels bad for the guards because it’s not their fault - they were just following orders. If anything, Sunggyu could have refused. But Woohyun should know that everyone is desperate at this point, including Sunggyu.

 

“It’s not like we had a choice, prince,” Taecyeon stands tall and proud, unfazed by Woohyun’s deathly glare. Sunggyu doesn’t know how they do it but they aren’t affected at all by Woohyun’s piercing red eyes.

 

“Then you should have convinced him to say no!”

 

Sunggyu frowns, stepping in front of the guards. “Stop, Woohyun. They’re just doing their job. Sungjae couldn’t even do anything to me anyways. And whether you like it or not I’m seeing him again tomorrow and that’s final. We need answers, Woohyun, and right now we have nothing.”

 

“Sunggyu’s right. The search team isn’t even close to finding the entrance. Sungjae is the only one who knows where it is and he refuses to speak unless it’s only him and Sunggyu,” Junho adds.

 

Woohyun opens his mouth to say something but it falls shut when he looks at Sunggyu’s determination. He’s powerless against Sunggyu. Woohyun breathes out heavily and crosses his arms over his chest. “Fine, but next time I get to listen in.”

 

“He’ll know you’re there. I doubt he’ll say anything with you around.”

 

“He’s going to have to deal with it. Those are my conditions - I listen in or Sunggyu doesn’t speak to him at all.”

 

 

Sungjae smiles at Sunggyu, tilting his head. “You’re back,” he sounds relieved, happy, and it sends shivers down Sunggyu’s spine. He sniffs the air and quirks up an eyebrow. “And I see you’ve brought the prince with you.”

 

Sunggyu almost comments on the fact that Sungjae can’t technically see but the comment isn’t really appropriate for the situation. “Ready to give me some answers?” Sunggyu stands beside the window again, gazing out at the blue sky. He looks down and gulps - heights have never been his thing. But there’s glass blocking him from the outside and how could he fall out anyways?

 

“My terms have not and will not change. I’ll give you the answers you want and I’ll let you know everything and anything you’ve ever wanted to know but in return you have to give yourself over to me. It’s simple, really. An easy deal.”

 

“Like I’d become a prisoner - slave - for you just for some answers.”

 

“Ah, but that’s where you’re wrong. You’re not a slave and you will never be one. You are an enigma, an angel. You can never be a slave.

 

Sunggyu glances at Sungjae. “What are you talking about?” he asks. He’s not in the mood for flirting with a psychopath.

 

“You really are an angel, Sunggyu. It’s in your blood. You’re not completely human, you know.”

 

Sunggyu shakes his head. “I don’t understand. I am human.”

 

“I suppose you wouldn’t have known and I suppose no one would have told you. Or maybe they didn’t know either. Right, Woohyun? Shocked, aren’t you?”

 

Sunggyu walks towards him and sits himself down on the wooden chair placed in front of Sungjae. “What are you going on about?”

 

“Your blood, Sunggyu. It’s different, something we’ve only really seen in stories and legends. You are much more different than just being the only one who can find the Key.”

 

Sunggyu leans forward slightly. “Tell me more.”

 

“Ah, ah, ah, my information isn’t free, remember?”

 

“Can’t you even tell me this?”

 

Sungjae takes it into consideration and grins. “Come closer and I’ll tell you something,” he says. Sunggyu leans forward only an inch more. “Closer.” So Sunggyu leans forward enough that he’s sitting on the edge of the seat and he can feel Sungjae’s breath on his ear. He’s not afraid.

 

Give up and I’ll tell you,” he whispers before painfully biting Sunggyu’s ear, drawing blood. He at the warm liquid and Sunggyu pulls back so quickly he falls off the chair. Scrambling to his feet, he whirls around and storms towards the door, banging on it loudly. It opens in the next second and Woohyun has a nasty scowl on his face. Hoya holds him back.

 

Sunggyu rushes forward and closes the door behind him, letting Hoya lock it back up. “What the ,” he mutters under his breath.

 

“That’s what I want to know,” Woohyun growls. He wipes away the blood running down Sunggyu’s face and cleans his now stained hand with his thumb. Sunggyu looks up at him and frowns.

 

“What did he mean, Woohyun? I’m not human?”

 

Woohyun bites his lip and grips Sunggyu’s arm. “You’re very much human, Sunggyu. He… he’s just trying to catch you off guard.”

 

Sunggyu doesn’t push it but he gets the feeling Woohyun’s holding something back from him. He’ll find out sooner or later.

 

 

It’s morning and Sunggyu knocks on the glass. “Let me see Sungjae,” he says, hoping someone is listening and of course they are.

 

“Are you sure? What about Woohyun? Should we call him over?” Wooyoung’s voice crackles to life.

 

Sunggyu shakes his head and presses his lips into a thin line. “I want to talk to Sungjae but not with Woohyun here.”

 

There are a few clicks before the door opens. Hoya stands there, his back tall and firm. “Are you sure? You know how furious Woohyun will be when he finds out, right?”

 

“I know.”

 

"As long as you're aware," he gives Sunggyu a skeptical look. "Sungjae is a little... different today, by the way. Like he knew something was going to happen. Or at least that's what Kris said."

 

They're at the top of the tower in minutes and Sunggyu is almost surprised at how utterably calm he is. Hoya ushers him inside and Sunggyu thinks this Kris guy wasn't kidding when he saud Sungjae was different today. He sits leisurely (or as leaisurely as one can when shackled to a wall) with a smug expression. "I like your visits," he says. "They... heal me."

 

Sunggyu scowls at him and sits down in the chair in front of the vampire. He doesn't really know what Sungjae's talking about but for some reason he does look better, not like how Sunggyu first saw him. He looks well fed, fit, and healthy. "What were you talking about yesterday?"

 

"I was waiting for you to ask that. Didn't bring the prince this time, did you?"

 

Sunggyu shakes his head. "I figured you wouldn't tell me if he was here."

 

"You're right about that. But aren't you afraid of me when no one is here to protect you?"

 

"I'm not afraid of you. I can protect myself."

 

Sungjae grins. "I know you can. But not yet. You still know nothing about yourself."

 

"That's what I came to ask about. What did you mean?"

 

"I guess keeping it from you is useless. But if I tell you, you owe me."

 

"How can I trust you?"

 

"Well, it all depends on you. You can choose to ignore what you are and who you are and just stay by the prince’s side knowing full well that he’ll never tell you what you deserve to know. Or you can choose to come with me and I will tell you everything.”

 

“But I’m human! What is there to know?” Sunggyu curls his fingers into a tight fist, his blunt nails indenting crescents into his skin.

 

“You’re no ordinary human, Sunggyu. You’re an angel, a being that isn’t quite human. You’re pure and sacred and you’d do well to know that. I bet Woohyun never said anything.”

 

Sunggyu stands. “I’m done here. Clearly I’m not getting any of the answers I need,” he says as he walks to the door raises his fist to knock on it. Before he can connect his hand with the door, Sungjae speaks up.

 

“Don’t believe me? Ask Woohyun.”

 


 

Sunggyu is silent, on edge, until the door swings open and Woohyun storms in. He isn't happy, not one bit, but he sees Sunggyu's rigid form and forces himself to relax as he sits beside him.

 

"Why did you go to see him without me there?"

 

"I wanted answers that he wasn't going to give with you there."

 

"You still shouldn't talk to him on your own."

 

"Hoya, Junho, Taecyeon and Wooyoung were there, though."

 

Woohyun sighs and decides not to push it. If he did it would only upset Sunggyu and in turn upset him even more. They sit in silence, Sunggyu curled up against Woohyun's warm body. Sungjae’s words echo in his head and he looks up at Woohyun. The atmosphere is tense and they both know it. So does Hoya, Taecyeon, Junho, and Wooyoung.

 

“Woohyun, what are angels? Just those biblical creatures from Heaven?”

 

Woohyun looks down at Sunggyu. “Why are you asking me that?”

 

“Am I an angel?”

 

“Did Sungjae say something?”

 

“Woohyun, what am I?

 

Sunggyu watches as he bites his lip and averts his eyes. Sunggyu stands, gripping the edge of his shirt. “Woohyun, I just want to know if Sungjae’s telling the truth.”

 

Woohyun’s silence urges Sunggyu to go on. “What’s the harm in me knowing? Why is it so hard for you to tell me?”

 

“Sunggyu, I don’t think you understand.”

 

“You’re not being very helpful!” Sunggyu stalks towards the door and bangs on it loudly, almost hard enough to break the glass. Hoya opens the door and Sunggyu speaks loud enough that even if Woohyun wasn’t a vampire, he would be able to hear him.

 

“I’m going to talk to Sungjae again. He’s free, right?”

 

Hoya nods. “The Council has just finished with him for today. Are you sure?”

 

Sunggyu nods before glancing back at Woohyun. “I’m not getting answers from him and Sungjae knows what I want.”

 

 

“You’re back,” Sungjae says. Sunggyu almost throws up because Sungjae is essentially drowning in his own blood, gashes so deep in his skin that it seems the blood will never stop. He’s so deathly pale that he looks like a brutally murdered corpse washed up overnight.

 

“I presume Woohyun didn’t tell you what you wanted to know and that’s why you’re back? To get those answers?”

 

Sunggyu nods, gingerly taking the seat in front of Sungjae, trying not to slip on the bloody tiles. “What’ll it take to get answers?”

 

Sungjae grins. “I don’t give anything for free. You know that. So how’s about making a deal? I give you answers and the location of the maze just because I like you so much and you set me free. Fair enough?”

 

“That seems too good to believe. What do you plan to do when you’re freed?”

 

“Oh, I’ll stay out of your hair. I can assure I would never do anything to harm you.”

 

“But what about my friends?”

 

“I can’t guarantee their safety. Leave it or take it, Sunggyu. Answers and the location for my freedom. It’s simple and fair, right?”

 

Sunggyu gulps. There’s no way Sungjae doesn’t want more. Is it really smart to just let him be free? After all, he wanted the Key so badly he kidnapped Sunggyu. But Sunggyu desperately needs answers and Sungjae is even giving him the location. “You want the Key, though.”

 

“Everyone and their dog wants the Key. The Council and I want the same thing, though, and I think I’ll sit back this time. So, do we have a deal?”


Sunggyu chews his bottom lip. “We… have a deal.”

 

 

 

THE PLOT THICKENS.

lol not proofread haha

so what do you guys think about sunggyu being not-so-human?