Dinner Date

A Reality That's Better than a Dream

Ever since the two cleared up their misunderstanding, the atmosphere in the car turned silent; the two of them are waiting for the other to start a conversation. As Jonghyun continues to drive in this silence, Yoona stares and analyzes Jonghyun's face while he's distracted with driving. She now knows what word describes Jonghyun, other than mysterious. And that word would be 'handsome'. She understands why so many girls have expressed their interest in him, but what she doesn't understand is why he's rejected all of them.

 

 

 

     "Oppa." Yoona has been wanting to call Jonghyun that for the longest time now. Instead of saying "Jonghyun" all the time, she preferred the simple "Oppa."

 

 

 

     Jonghyun didn't expect Yoona to call him that. It's only been a few minutes since they've become "friends".

 

 

 

     "Y-y-you j-just called me.."

 

 

 

     "You're older than me, babo. Why can't I call you 'oppa'?"

 

 

 

     Jonghyun decides to drop the topic. "What's your question?"

 

 

 

     "Well um, I've wondered why you reject everyone who asks you out."

 

 

 

     "And how do you know about my personal life?" asks Jonghyun who is a bit taken aback at the previous statement Yoona made.

 

 

 

     "Well some time ago, I browsed through Seohyun's phone while she was sleeping. And then I read her conversation with Yonghwa oppa and he was begging Seohyun to find you a girlfriend since you've never been in a relationship."

 

 

 

     "I'm just a guy who likes to play my guitar. I'm not as cute or handsome as many other idols or have a good body like most guy idols."What? You're one of the handsomest male idols that I know…Aish, this man has no confidence." "And besides, I'm really bad at expressing my emotions. But even after all of these flaws, girls continue to ask me. Of course I want to accept when a girl asks me, but usually the idols that are playgirls ask me out. Since I know they're just going to dump me anyway, I just say no and instead of going on a date with them, I stay home and write songs or play guitar."

 

 

 

     "But I think you're really handsome and cool..as well as the other members of SNSD." Yoona quickly adds the last part so the conversation doesn't become awkward.

 

 

 

     "Uhh.. uh thanks."

 

 

 

     Yoona starts laughing out loud at the sight of him stuttering. "Wow, you were right when you said you're bad at expressing your emotions."

 

 

 

     Jonghyun laughs along with Yoona as the car pulls up to the parking lot of the restaurant. "Psh, whatever. We're here now. Let's go eat."

 

 

 

It's been a while since Jonghyun saw his judo instructor. They met when Jonghyun was 7, after he got bullied. The man witnessed a few boys beat up the little Jonghyun so the man offered him free judo lessons to protect himself from bullies. So for 10 years they laughed together and even cried together during his judo career. But after he suffered fractured ribs, he decided to quit his judo career and he started focusing as hard as ever on his singing career. Once Jonghyun quit judo, his instructor quit as well. The old man worked various jobs, hoping to gain enough money to open up his own restaurant, which was the old man's dream ever since he was a kid. Once CNBLUE debuted and Jonghyun started making money, he immediately sent that money to his instructor. Thanks to Jonghyun, the old man finally opened up his own restaurant. Ever since, he occasionally eats there and always promotes it; he had every right to. The food there was amazing. Most nights, there are about 30 people waiting outside to eat. So how will Jonghyun manage to get a private room for him and Yoona? No worries. A special room was created by the judo instructor that is only available if it is reserved for a birthday party or any other celebration. But the judo instructor also knew that the man who funded the restaurant, Jonghyun, is a celebrity. So time to time, when Jonghyun comes to visit the restaurant, he lets Jonghyun and whoever is with him into the private room. But getting to that room is a problem. There's a bunch of people in the restaurant, after all it's the best restaurant in town.

 

 

 

     "Wait." Jonghyun said as Yoona is about to leave the car. 

 

 

 

     "Hmm?"

 

 

 

     Jonghyun starts to take off his jacket in the car. "Here, take my jacket. There's a bunch of people here so we need to protect your privacy. Cover your face with the hoodie." 

 

 

 

     "And how about you?"

 

 

 

     "Don't worry I have a mask somewhere in my trunk. I used to have a cold about a week ago."

 

 

 

     "You could have just given me the mask and kept your jacket." says Yoona as she gets out of the car.

 

 

 

     "Well, even with the mask on you're too noticeable." replies Jonghyun as he closes the trunk after getting the mask.

 

 

 

In reality, the mask would be better for Yoona, but Jonghyun just wanted to appear manly in front of her, so that's why he took off his jacket and gave it to her.

 

 

 

     "Fine." Yoona's suspiciousness quickly dies down and instead her attention is on the smell of meat from the outside of the restaurant.

 

 

 

As soon as Jonghyun entered, the old man started smiling after seeing his student after a while. Even with the mask on, he can recognize the young man. But on closer inspection, he saw that a lovely girl is walking right next to him. At first glance, anyone would think they're a couple. But Jonghyun never brought a girl into this restaurant except for his own family members. In fact, Jonghyun never even bought a girl outside of his family dinner before. "Something is a bit weird today.", the old man thought to himself. 

 

 

 

As Jonghyun led Yoona into the private room, the old man went inside and started ordering the workers to prepare some side dishes for the two. The old man then placed two cups of water on a tray and started walking towards the room.

 

 

 

     The old man places the two cups of water onto the table. "Ahh, Jonghyun-ah, so glad to see you again. Who's this lovely girl sitting next to you?"

 

 

 

     "She's a friend of mine Kim Teacher."

 

 

 

     "Ah, she must be a very lucky girl Jonghyun-ah. This is the first time you've brought a girl out to dinner besides your sisters!"

 

 

 

     "I guess so." Jonghyun chuckles. "How's business coming along?"

 

 

 

     "Ever since you funded the restaurant, the sales haven't dropped a bit. It's all because of you Jonghyun-ah. Thanks for helping me achieve my dream." says the old man as he smiles widely.

 

 

 

     "No worries, Kim Teacher. Can I get the usual? But two orders this time."

 

 

 

     "Sure. I'll be back soon."

 

 

 

Yoona overheard this conversation from the very beginning and a few things were running in her mind. First, Yoona is a bit surprised Jonghyun referred to her as his friend. It's only been 30 minutes since Yoona and Jonghyun worked out their misunderstanding. Second, she feels special since she's the first girl Jonghyun ever brought out to dinner. And third, she realizes that Jonghyun has a warm-hearted side to him, especially after hearing about him helping the old man achieve his life long dream.

 

 

 

     "Wow, you actually have a nice side in you."

 

 

 

     Jonghyun almost chokes on his water. "What?" 

 

 

 

     "I didn't think that 'nice' and 'Lee Jonghyun' would ever be in a sentence together." Yoona sarcastically says.

 

 

 

     "Is this how you treat your new friend?" responds Jonghyun with the same amount of sarcasm.

 

 

 

     "Yeah, got a problem?" she teases.

 

 

 

     "And what if I do?"

 

 

 

     "Too bad, Jonghyunnie." Yoona chuckles as she says this. She's embarrassed by the nickname she just made.

 

 

 

     "What kind of nickname-"

 

 

 

     Yoona cuts Jonghyun off mid-sentence. "It's my nickname for you."

 

 

 

     Jonghyun starts to pout. "I don't like it."

 

 

 

     Yoona sees this and laughs. " for you." She sticks her tongue out.

 

 

 

     "Aish, this girl."

 

 

 

The old man walked in, only to think that the two were having a couple fight. "How could these two not be a couple?" he thought to himself. "Look at how Jonghyun stares at her with his loving eyes and how the girl does the same. But when he introduced her to me, he only said that they were friends. But I've been with Jonghyun for half his life and I've never seen him gives girls the stare he's giving to the girl next to him. So confusing!"

 

 

 

     "Jonghyun-ah, help me place the dishes down."

 

 

 

     He immediately gets up and starts helping his old judo teacher. "Ah, of course, teacher."

 

 

 

     The old man then takes the trays and heads out the door. "Jonghyun-ah, have fun eating. You too, miss."

 

 

 

     "Thank you." they both respond at the same time.

 

 

 

 

 

Since Yoona is the second best eater in SNSD, it wasn't a surprise that she finished before Jonghyun. But he just had his mouth wide open with rice stuck onto his lips, just staring at Yoona who shouted, "Done!" a few seconds ago.

 

 

 

     "How do you finish so fast…? Yet you stay so skinny.." asked Jonghyun who still has rice on his lips, but now his mouth is closed.

 

 

 

     "Mm.. I don't know. This place is so good."

 

 

 

     "Of course! Teacher Kim makes the best food in town." he proudly exclaims.

 

 

 

As he said this, he starts to notice that Yoona isn't even listening to what he has to say. Instead she's staring at Jonghyun's food and swallowing her saliva as the scent of his food reaches her nose.

 

 

 

     "No wonder they call you the second shikshin of SNSD. Want to eat some of my food? Say ahh." says Jonghyun as he raises the spoon to Yoona's mouth. "Why am I blushing? All he did was ask a question, but he did it so cutely. Ahh, I just wanted to pinch his cheeks…….. Snap out of it Im Yoona, stop thinking these kind of thoughts! We're just friends.."

 

 

 

And for the rest of the dinner, Jonghyun just feeds Yoona. He can't help but be attracted to her as she eats. He finds her so adorable as she eats off his spoon. "How come whenever you're around me, you give me a feeling that girls usually never give me? Something about you is different from the rest. No wonder my heart never gave up on you, even if my mind did."

 

 

 

After Yoona and Jonghyun finish eating, Yoona decides to go to the bathroom since the trip back is going to take a while. She spends her time at the mirror, fixing her hair. While Yoona is in the bathroom, Jonghyun is sitting, waiting for the pay check to arrive. Then out of nowhere, a noise suddenly comes from his phone.

 

 

 

From: Leader Yong

I don't know what you two are doing, but once you guys are done, take Yoona to her dorm. Good luck facing the 8 girls (:

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Not much happened in this chapter, so sorry about that. :)