Confession

A Reality That's Better than a Dream

"Now's the time! Don't screw up!" Jonghyun cheers himself on as he quickens his steps to catch up to Yoona. "Hey." he says in a low voice, bringing chills down Yoona's spine. It was a voice she knew far too well.

 

 

 

"What do you want?" Yoona tries her best to say it in the meanest way possible, but it was nothing like the voice she reserves for Donghae.

 

 

 

"To talk to you in private."

 

 

 

"Well you're doing that right now, aren't you?" she says as she tries to walk away from him, but doesn't get very far since Jonghyun grabs her arm.

 

 

 

"Yeah, I know, but it's going to take me a while to explain." 

 

 

 

"Alright, so?"

 

 

 

"Let's have our talk at the ice cream parlor, the one you and I go to."

 

 

 

Yoona shivers when she remembers what the three guys tried to do to her the last time she went.

 

 

 

"I know you don't like that place, but don't worry, I'll protect you."

 

 

 

"No, I can't. My unnies are going to worry about me if you and I just leave, without them knowing."

 

 

 

She tries to come up with an excuse, but fails miserably.

 

 

 

"We can deal with that later. That's the least of my worries. I have something important to say to you. And you, only you should hear it. So can we get out of here already? Please, it's important."

 

 

 

She finally gives in, since it has to be something serious, judging by his facial expression. And besides, Yoona also had some words to say to him.

 

 

"Fine. Make it quick." 

 

__________

 

 

To: HYUNgsoonim

Don't worry over my disappearance or Yoona's. I'm going to take her somewhere and confess my true feelings. Wish me luck.

 

To: Jungmin Hyung

Hyung, I'm going to arrive at the ice cream parlor in 20 minutes. 

 

 

Jonghyun quickly sends out these text messages before he starts the, what seems like forever, ride to the parlor. Although the ice cream parlor isn't that far from the restaurant, the silence in the car sure made the ride seem longer than it actually was. During the ride, Yoona's lips were trembling the whole time. She was trying to bring herself to say the dreaded words, 'Let's not contact each other anymore' ". But at the same time, she was pretty curious over what Jonghyun had to say so she decided to wait for what he had to say.

 

 

"We're here." Jonghyun says as he parks the car in front of the parlor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hi, can I get a mint ice cream cone?" Yoona asks as soon as she enters the parlor.

 

 

 

"Sorry, we're out of cones. But, we do have cups. Is that okay with you, miss?" Jungmin asks back as he gives Jonghyun a small smile.

 

 

 

"Uh.. sure, I'm fine with that."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So, why did you bring me here?" Yoona breaks the silence as Jonghyun just watches her eat the mint ice cream. She found it weird that he was just watching her, but she didn't know that this was all part of his plan. He, of course, planned to confess the second she saw the words on the bottom of her special cup, and that would be when she finished eating.

 

 

 

"To talk to you about something."

 

 

 

"Well, then do it."

 

 

 

"Why have you been ignoring me lately? Tell me everything I have done wrong, and I'll make sure to fix my mistakes. I don't want to lose such a close friend like you." Jonghyun asks, although he clearly knew the reason why, since Seohyun explained everything a while back.

 

 

 

"Nothing…, you haven't done anything wrong. It's me that has done something wrong. I don't think I deserve to be friends with you anymore. So let's just break off this friendship, yeah?" Yoona says as she tries her best to avoid eye contact. Jonghyun soon felt a bit of pain in his chest after Yoona muttered those words. But he soon remembered Seohyun's words. "I don't know if you haven't noticed this yet, but she liked you. Maybe to the point of loving you. But not anymore. I overheard her in her room this morning muttering something like, 'Aish Im Yoona be strong. Tell him today when we meet up for dinner that you want to break off this friendship and to no longer keep in touch.' Or at least something like that. I don't know what to tell ya, oppa. Maybe you can try and win her heart back today. Explain to her everything and confess to her today, before it's too late." "It didn't even seem like she wanted to say those words… why else would she be avoiding eye contact? So why is she forcing herself to break off our relationship? Is it because she no longer wants to see me because I supposedly broke her heart? Or at least that's what Seohyun told me… I'm going to have to play along a bit more since there's still a bit of ice cream left in her cup."

 

 

 

Jungmin was watching this whole scene unfold. "Hmm.., this isn't how it's supposed to be going. C'mon Jonghyun.., make your move!"

 

 

 

"Tell me. What have you done wrong?"

 

 

 

"I-I…." Yoona struggled to find an answer. "What I've done wrong is trusting him with my fragile heart."  "There was this guy whom I loved with all my heart. He played with my fragile heart, and now I'm paying the consequences for loving him too much. Because of him, I can't trust any guys anymore. So just please, break off our friendship." She says as a tear escape her eyes. "Ever since her breakup with Donghae, she hasn't been into guys much, but that changed when you entered her life. I noticed her struggling, trying her best not to fall in love with you, but I convinced her you were the right guy. Don't make me regret my words."  "I must be that guy that played with her fragile heart if Seohyun was right when she told me that Yoona fell in love with me."

 

 

 

"No." Jonghyun says, not willing to give up on her after pretty much confirming that Yoona once had feelings for him. He remembered the promise he made to Yuri. "Even through the rough, never give up on her." "This is it. She's almost done with her ice cream. Here's my chance." "Why would I give up on you? Do you know how much you mean to me? For a while I hated girls. Absolutely hated them, all because of what Sojin did. But after you entered my life, everything changed. It was the first time I fell so hard for a girl in my life and it confused me so much. What was it about you that made me fall for you so much? I didn't know the answer to this question. Being an idol, I've met a bunch of pretty girls, but you were much different from them. Not only were you pretty, but you were also pretty on the inside, if that made any sense. After spending some time with you, I fell for this sweet personality of yours." At this point Yoona finished her mint ice cream and stared at the words on the bottom of the cup. However, Jonghyun didn't notice this since he was too busy talking. "As soon as I realized that my love for you was requited, I was going to ask you to be mine as soon as possible. That's why I told my group members that Jungshin was going to be the only one not in a relationship. I was so certain that you were going to be mine once I asked the question, but I never had the chance to…, since you misunderstood my words."

 

 

 

Although Yoona saw the question on her cup, she wanted it to hear it from Jonghyun himself. "Well, you have a chance now." she says while giving him a warm smile, providing a hint to Jonghyun that there's still a place for him in her heart.

 

 

 

"I can't assure to you that I would be the greatest boyfriend in the world, but you better believe if I was your boyfriend, I'd make a concentrated effort to be the best boyfriend I could be. I'd make sure that my actions would prove to you how much I love you. I-"

 

 

 

Yoona leans in and closes the distance between them. "You talk too much." she says as she kisses his lips to shut him up. "Ask the question already." she commands as she smiles at the sight of seeing a flustered Jonghyun. 

 

 

 

"Im Yoona, will you be my girlfriend?" Jonghyun's dimples are clearly visible at this point.

 

 

 

"Of course." A bright smile appears on her face as well.

 

 

 

"Why did you decide to give me a chance?" Jonghyun asks, not wanting to be the only one who made a confession.

 

 

 

"Didn't Seohyun tell you everything? How else would you know about my misunderstanding of your words on the day of your comeback?"

 

 

 

"Well, yeah, but I want to hear it from you yourself."

 

 

 

"It's going to be a bit embarrassing if I tell you everything…" Yoona innocently says as Jonghyun smiles at her cuteness. Just at this moment a text comes to Jonghyun's phone.

 

 

 

From: HYUNgsoonim

 

How did it go? When are you guys coming back? Everyone is wondering where you two went.

 

 

"Who is that?" Yoona tries her best to suppress her jealousy.

 

 

 

"Is my girlfriend jealous?" Jonghyun gives her a teasing smile.

 

 

 

"No…."

 

 

 

"Aish, you're so cute." Jonghyun pinches her cheeks as they push in their chairs before they leave the ice cream parlor. "We've been a couple for less than 5 minutes and you think I'd cheat on you already?"

 

 

 

"Hmm. You better not cheat."

 

 

 

"I never will. You're all that I can ask for."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Congrats Jonghyun-ah." Jungmin says to Jonghyun before he leaves the door.

 

 

 

"You two know each other?" Yoona asks in shock.

 

 

 

"Yup. I asked him to make a special cup just for you."

 

 

 

"Ahh, no wonder my cup had those words on the bottom."

 

 

 

"See ya later Jungmin hyung!" Jonghyun says as he bids a farewell to his hyung. As the two leave, Jonghyun puts his arm around Yoona, much to the shock of Yoona, but she soon leans closer to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I kinda don't want to go back." says Jonghyun as he parks in front of the restaurant.

 

 

 

"Me neither. How are they going to react when they see us acting like a couple?"

 

 

 

"I'm sure they'll approve of us, so let's just keep acting the way we are."

 

 

 

"Alright." Yoona tries to open the door, but is stopped by Jonghyun.

 

 

 

"Wait. There's something I have to do before we go back in."

 

 

 

"Wh-" She manages to say before he leans in closer.

 

 

 

"This." He whispers as he closes the distance between the two. He gives her a quick kiss on the lips and then on her cheek before he stops and opens the car door.

 

 

 

"Wait! You have my lipstick on your lips!" Yoona wipes his lips with her thumb as she gives him a seductive smile.

 

 

 

"Im Yoona!" He exclaims in frustration as Yoona runs away from him like a little kid into the restaurant. But he soon catches up to her and holds her hand as they go back into the private room.

 

 

 

"Oh my goodness!"

 

 

 

"You two are back!"

 

 

 

"You guys are holding hands!"

 

 

 

"Yup. We're a couple." Jonghyun proudly says as the members of both SNSD and CNBLUE cheer.

 

 

 

"Tell us what happened! We ran out of topics right before you guys came in." says Taeyeon.

 

 

 

So for the whole night, the main focus was on the new couple. The SNSD members made Yoona die of embarrassment as they told the story of the early stages of her crush on Jonghyun. The CNBLUE members did the same thing to their lead guitarist, making him red as a tomato. But what made him even more red was when Yoona suddenly stepped up and told her side of the story, something she didn't do at the ice cream parlor. She confessed her true feelings and what made her fall for him. 

 

 

Needless to say, this was truly a night to remember for Lee Jonghyun and for Im Yoona as well.