Happy Ever After

A Reality That's Better than a Dream

The day that all the artists from FNC, Woollim, and SM awaited for finally came. Of course the artists from each of these companies were all nervous. They were to perform at a big venue located in the heart of Seoul: each wanted to perform the best they can to every single attendee. Jonghyun and Yoona were also nervous, but for different reasons. Jonghyun, as mentioned before, wasn't so sure of how the public would react and how it would affect his loved one. Meanwhile, Yoona was nervous because she didn't want to mess up when she would pluck the chords for Love Light along with her boyfriend and the YongSeo couple.

 

 

However as the concert started, they slowly started to forget about the rendition they had to perform later in the concert and instead focused their attention to the numerous idol groups that were performing ahead of them.

 

 

There were two stages in the venue. The first stage had all the instruments so that groups like Nell(Woollim), FTISLAND(FNC), and CNBLUE(FNC) could all perform, since they are all bands. The second stage was just a normal stage that you would find at a concert. It was predominantly empty except for the sound system. Everyone else would perform on the second stage.

 

 

For a pretty long time, Jonghyun was unable to walk on either stage. His group was penciled in to perform much later in the show but when the time came, he certainly was ready to show the fans his musical talents. While on the first stage, he and his group gave an all-live performance of their hit songs, something they are unable to do during music broadcasts(since they can only hand-sync). After they finished, the lights darkened on the stage to focus the fans' attention to the other stage where SNSD took the stage. He, along with Yonghwa, continued to stay on the darkened stage, however, because he knew that he would be performing Love Light soon.

 

 

While watching his girlfriend perform on stage, he kept thinking about Yoona's words earlier in the week about the situation they were ed into. Of course he wanted to believe that their relationship was strong enough to not let the public have any effect on it. But he knew that this sudden announcement of him being in a relationship would cause him to lose a bunch of fans. However, he didn't have a choice. If the CEO of SM Entertainment tells you to do something, then you do it, no questions asked. But if he did have a choice, would he sacrifice a career he worked for half his life for a girl who has entered his life a little over half a year ago? Yes. Of course he would. Although Yoona has only been in his life for a short period of time, he knew for a fact that she would be in his life for many years to come.

 

 

Jonghyun's thoughts eventually came to a halt when he heard a big round of cheer from the audience, signaling the end of SNSD's performance. While he was closely observing the next group to come on stage, Super Junior, he noticed the staff murmuring amongst themselves as they set up four chairs. They offered Jonghyun and Yonghwa a chair, while setting the two other chairs right next to them. Amidst the darkness, he found a bright pink guitar that was seemingly coming closer to him.

 

 

 

"You ready?" Yoona asks as she sits in the chair right next to her boyfriend.

 

 

 

"Yeah." Jonghyun whispers to her as he clenches his teeth in nervousness.

 

 

 

"Where's my mic?" Yoona asks as she notices that everyone has a mic except her.

 

 

 

As if on cue, a staff member brings her the mic that was placed in the back where Minhyuk played his drums.

 

 

 

"Ah, now I'm ready to perform." Yoona says as she flashes a sweet smile to Jonghyun, easing his nervous a bit.

 

 

 

"Oh by the way, how does Mr. Lee expect us to hold hands when we're playing the guitar."

 

 

 

"I think by holding hands, he meant that we were supposed to do some lovey-dovey action on stage, but that shouldn't be too hard, should it?" Yoona says as she winks at Jonghyun.

 

 

 

"Ugh, here they go again." Seohyun says as she rolls her eyes.

 

__________

 

 

When it came time for the two couples to perform, naturally the lights came on the first stage. Jonghyun had a trouble adjusting to the lights again, since he was in the darkness for more than a few minutes. Meanwhile, the fans had a hard time adjusting to the reality that their ships were either being broken, or had come true. 

 

 

 

"5, 6, 5, 6, 7, 8" Yonghwa whispered, but still loud enough for the 3 others to know when to start playing the guitar.

 

 

 

Jonghyun started off by singing his usual lines, but this time, instead of facing the crowd like he normally does, he faced the girl right next to him as he sang.

 

 

 

"When I look at you my face gets red. When I see you my heart goes thump thump, I talk with shyness like a kid. When I look at you I just smile out of nowhere. Like a fool I keep doing that. I think love came to me."

 

 

 

Upon singing those lines, he noticed a burning sensation in his cheeks, his heart beating faster, and a cheeky smile appearing on his face. Likewise, Yoona also had a burning sensation in her cheeks, the appearance of a cheeky smile on her face, and her heart beating faster.

 

 

When it came time for the chorus, Jonghyun gave her a loving smile as the four of them sang together. Yoona returned it with a smile of her own and even a wink, much to the crowd's delight. He turned his head toward the audience in surprise, not expecting such a positive response from the fans.

 

 

He soon regretted turning his head to the crowd however, because he noticed a familiar pair of eyes staring at him.

 

__________

 

 

"Why is she here again?" Jonghyun muttered in frustration once the spotlight turned back onto the second stage.

 

 

 

"Shh Jonghyun-ah. Don't make such a scene here. We have to quietly get over to the second stage where we will have the concert ending and then after that I will drive you and Yonghwa, along with Yoona and Seohyun to a press conference that Mr. Lee set up a few hours ago." the manager says as he pats Jonghyun on the back.

 

__________

 

 

"So, um, why are we going to a press conference?" Jonghyun asks in the car.

 

 

 

"Well considering the fact that it's us four in the car, it's pretty obvious that we're going to get questioned by the media about our relationships."

 

 

 

"Duhhh." Yonghwa says in a mocking voice.

 

 

 

"Well, I'm sorry." Jonghyun reacts in a bit of a harsh tone. "Maybe if I didn't find out that Sojin attended the concert, my head would be functioning properly. And maybe if you look behind us, you would notice that there's a white car following us. And well, what do you know, that car is none other than Sojin's." Jonghyun exclaims in frustration.

 

 

 

"Oh no, Sojin came and saw that? She's definetely going to reveal what happened between you two in jealousy over you and Yoona." Yonghwa sympathizes with his CNBLUE member.

 

 

 

"Whatever, we're already here now." Jonghyun says with clenched fists as he opens the car door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the reporters interviewed Yonghwa and Seohyun, their attention went to Jonghyun and Yoona.

 

 

 

"Are you two also here to reveal a relationship between you guys?" a reporter asks.

 

 

 

"Yes." Jonghyun and Yoona respond in a short fashion.

 

 

 

And from then on, the reporters continued to ask questions regarding their relationship and some specific details and how it all started and etc. After they had their fair share of questions, the reporters were satisfied with what they had and were just about ready to end the press conference, however, they were interrupted by a feminine voice.

 

 

 

"Lee Jonghyun is not in a relationship with Yoona! That's all media play! He's actually in a relationship with me!" Sojin exclaims, causing the reporters to gasp.

 

 

 

"No need to pick your pens up reporters, because what she's saying holds no truth, therefore it wouldn't even be worthy of an article." Jonghyun calmly says. 

 

 

 

Yoona, of course, was ticked off, but considering the fact that Jonghyun was calm about this, she decided, or at least tried to be calm as well.

 

 

 

"I still remember what happened a few years back."

 

 

 

"I remember too. However, your story differs from mine since yours is full of complete lies." Jonghyun gives her a teasing smile, which only frustrates Sojin.

 

 

 

"Just admit that I secretly make you happy on the inside." Sojin says, hoping she still has a chance.

 

 

 

"I'm as happy as I've ever been these days, thanks to this gorgeous lady right next to me."

 

 

 

"Oh yeah, well how about when you asked me out?" Sojin says, desperately trying to gain attention from the reporters.

 

 

 

"Oh, you want to talk about that? Then so be it. If you want to try and bring me down, go ahead. I'll just pull you down with me. Should I reveal to these reporters what REALLY happened? Do you think the public would recieve it well once they read the articles? Girls Day is at their peak right now, are you sure you want to bring them down?"

 

 

 

"Ugh fine, I give up!" Sojin yells in frustration as she storms out the press conference room.

 

__________

 

 

Upon returning home from the chaotic day, Jonghyun immediately went on the computer to check the news. Sure enough, the article regarding the two couples were released. He clicked on the article and went to check the comments. After reading a few, his lips curved into a smile. He knew that there were always going to be some negative comments, but he was surprised at the overwhelming positive comments, praising them for their courage to come out as a couple.

 

 

After checking the comments, he immediately flopped onto his bed but he couldn't bring himself to sleep. While continuing to lie on the bed, he found it amazing he hasn't fallen asleep yet. He remembered that his younger self slept at any given opportunity. The main reason he wanted to sleep as a child is because it was his temporary escape from his life, a temporary escape from reality, a reality in which it seemed as if the world turned his back against him.

 

 

But now he was finally happy with his life. He achieved his dreams when he became the lead guitarist of CNBLUE and he found the love of his life as well which didn't come with some obstacles. And now he was glad those obstacles were climbed. The issue with Donghae and Sojin was resolved and also, the public seemed to support him and Yoona. As he realized how great his life had become, a small little smile formed on the edge of his mouth. There he was, the charismatic Lee Jonghyun, smiling like an idiot in his own bed.

 

 

Even though he is tired, there is a reason he couldn't sleep. There is no need to sleep, at least for tonight because finally, his reality is better than his dreams.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep

because reality is finally better than your dreams."

- Dr. Seuss

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And that my friends, is how I came up with the name, "A Reality That's Better than a Dream". xD

 

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. This is only my first story on asianfanfics, but I managed to get about 200 subscribers and 15000 views! Thanks to each and every one of you! I know I haven't responded to many comments that were thrown down below, but if you guys send me a message, I certainly will reply!

 

Anyways, if you guys liked this story, feel free to check out my next project, "Drama in the Theater Department".