A Real Man

A Reality That's Better than a Dream

 

Two months passed since the day the two last met in the hospital and like Jonghyun promised, he got released from the hospital after his knee significantly recovered. 

 

 

 

 

 

     "Hyung, where are the other members?" he asks the manager once he hops on the car.

 

 

 

     "They're gone. They'll be back soon." the manager replies as he drives out the hospital's basement parking lot.

 

 

 

     "Eyy. Are you guys trying to plan a surprise party? I bet when I go home they're going to turn on the lights and welcome me with balloons and such. Why would they be gone anyway?"

 

 

 

     The manager laughs for a moment before saying, "Of course that's what they wanted to do when you came back, but they're gone today for a filming of 1 Night 2 Days. I dropped them off today, which means they are going to come back tomorrow. Just rest today Jonghyun. You've had a hard couple of months. Do you need help getting to your dorm?"

 

 

 

     "Hyung, my leg is all fine now. Mr. Han made it clear that I wasn't going to be released from the hospital until I was 100 percent. In fact, I was 100 percent a week ago! I'm fine hyung. I'll head up now, take care." Jonghyun waves a goodbye and the manager drives off.

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun goes on his laptop for the first time in quite a while and sends a tweet to his fans that he just got released from the hospital and that he's in great condition. He then goes to the bathroom and takes a long, warm shower. After doing so, he quickly dries himself up and changes into some comfortable clothes.

 

 

 

 

 

Since he's only eaten tasteless hospital food, he's extremely happy after eating ramen. He finishes up these noodles like he hasn't eaten in days. Since he ate ramen, he craves a nice and cool dessert to go along with it. After verifying that there's nothing in the freezer, he changes his clothes again and heads out the door, taking his car keys with him. After getting into the car, he inserts the address of the only ice cream parlor he knows into the GPS system.

 

 

 

 

 

He first went to this ice cream parlor after he moved to Seoul during his trainee days. It has a bit of an old charm and this is represented by its outer looks. The paint is faded in some areas and the walls aren't in the best condition. It's also located in a not-so-extravagant place, right next to a dark alley. But as they say, what's on the inside matters more than what's on the outside. In the inside of the ice cream parlor, there are a wide variety of tasty ice cream flavors. This is what made Jonghyun keep coming back to this place; he fell in love with the unique taste of the ice cream. 

 

 

 

Yoona's POV

 

 

Today, practice ended a bit early today. It ended at 4 today, instead of at the usual time which is 5. But I'm not complaining. Today I was really tired in the morning, so thanks goodness practice ended a bit early. You would imagine how tired I am since I started practicing at a tired state anyway. So that's why I plan on recharging myself with mint ice cream. As all the tired unnies sleep, I'm the only one who has plans to head out. But unfortunately, the manager has a meeting with the other SM workers, so I can't borrow his car. I guess I'll take the bus today.

 

 

 

I arrived at my favorite ice cream parlor and I took my time eating my favorite mint ice cream. I don't know what it is about this flavor, but it's really addicting. I ordered another ice cream cone and quickly ate it all up before deciding that's enough. I walked out the door and I see three men who are dressed in all black.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona is surprised at the appearance of three men in black masks. She's even more surprised when they grab her and lead her toward the dark alley that the ice cream store is next to. She tries her hardest to resist, but two of the men have a strong hold on her arms and the third closed with his hand to prevent her from screaming for help. The men lead her toward the end of the alley and try taking advantage of her. Still, Yoona resists and that's when the men aggressively start ripping her clothes off. The third man starts slapping her in the face, which meant that his hand no longer covered . With now free, she starts screaming for help, but those screams quickly die out when she starts feeling light headed from all the abuse. Yoona has no strength in her and slowly prepares for the worst as her shirt is ripped in half. Her pants are also slowly ripping apart until it stops suddenly.

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun, who heard the screams as he was about to enter the ice cream store, quickly runs to the place where he thinks the scream came from. At the end of the dark alley, he sees three guys harassing a girl. He runs over and performs a flying kick to one of the guys before punching the second guy over and over. The third guy, whom Jonghyun paid no attention to, punches Jonghyun and he stumbles toward the side of Yoona. The two guys who were hit recover and soon face Jonghyun, who's in front of Yoona, who's still on the floor. Jonghyun is shocked that the girl turned out to be Yoona, but first he has other issues to deal with.

 

 

 

 

 

     "Move out the way." the leader of the group says.

 

 

 

     "Make me."

 

 

 

 

 

The leader punches Jonghyun in the face, and that's when he explodes. In an instant, he starts performing judo moves against the leader. The other two men start punching Jonghyun in response, causing Jonghyun to stop beating up the man. As Jonghyun shot the two other men an icy glare, with a full intent to harm them, the leader signals to the other two men to retreat with him. Jonghyun is about to chase after the three retreating men but he hears a feminine voice behind him, stopping him in his tracks.

 

 

 

 

 

     "Stop oppa. No more fighting." Yoona barely manages to say.

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun turns around and then quickly turns around again after seeing Yoona. In response to seeing her clothes, he takes off his sweater and throws it behind him for her to take. He then takes off the shirt that he wore under his sweater and does the same, which leaves him shirtless.

 

 

 

 

 

     "Sorry for looking at you while you were at that state. Take my shirt and wear it over yours. As for the sweater, wrap it around your legs." he says, but no response can be heard from Yoona. However, he could hear some movement and the sound of a shirt being put on.

 

 

 

"What's that?" Jonghyun thinks to himself after hearing a loud noise behind him. He wants to turn around but he didn't want to embarrass Yoona since remembered the situation with Yoona and her clothes. But after a few seconds of complete silence, his patience wears out and turns around, only to find Yoona on the floor and not moving. "She must have collapsed since she's so tired from all the abuse and her efforts to break free." he says to himself as he feels her heartbeat, making sure that she's still breathing. Not even remembering the real purpose of why he came to the ice cream parlor(which was to get some ice cream), he quickly runs with Yoona on his back and into his car. Before driving away, he places Yoona so that she lies down on the back seats of the car. Driving as fast as he could, but still obeying the speed limit, he arrives in front of the SNSD dorm.

 

 

Ding-dong!

 

 

Jonghyun rings the bell, but there is no response. He rings it once more, and again there is no response. "Aish." he mumbles to himself as he leaves the dorm. He heads out to his car, with Yoona still on his back.

 

 

 

"Where am I?" Yoona says to herself once she regains her consciousness. She quickly gets out the bed she was lying on, and looks around the room. "This room seems familiar…" she says as she sees a poster of Eric Clapton on the wall. She turns around and sees a promotional poster of A Gentleman's Dignity on the wall as well. "Wait a minute… why am I here?" she says as she walks out the room and into the living room.

 

 

 

     "What am I doing here?" she asks Jonghyun, who's sitting on the couch with a new set of clothes.

 

 

 

     "You're finally awake!" exclaims Jonghyun.

 

 

 

     "Huh?" Her memories of what happened an hour earlier slowly start to resurface. She shrieks in horror as she remembers the three men harassing her.

 

 

 

     "Don't worry, I'm here." he whispers as he hugs the crying Yoona, trying his best to console her.

 

 

 

     "All I remember are these three guys trying to hurt me…, and then there was this guy who came out of nowhere and saved me….. But that doesn't explain why I'm here in your dorm…" she says in between her tears.

 

 

 

     "It's okay Yoona, I'm here for you." Jonghyun says as he tightens the hug. "Anyway, why were you out by yourself in that ice cream parlor, especially since it's in a bad neighborhood?

 

 

 

     "How do you know that I visited that ice cream parlor?"

 

    

 

     "That guy who saved you… was me." He lets go of the hug as Yoona stares at him in disbelief. "Oh, and the reason you're here is because I took you to my dorm since there was no other place to take you. I tried taking you to your dorm, but no one would open the door when I rang the doorbell.."

 

 

 

     "My unnies must have been sleeping.." she mumbles, but loud enough for Jonghyun to hear.

 

 

 

     "Oh. So that's why they didn't open the door…, maybe that could have been a good thing since I was shirtless at that time." Jonghyun shrugs.

 

 

 

     "What?"

 

 

 

     "Your clothes were ripped so I gave you mine to wear." he says, causing Yoona to look down at her own clothes. She continues to stare at her own clothes in confusion before Jonghyun speaks again. "Are you still traumatized from what happened?"

 

 

 

     "Well, of course I am… But, it's okay. I'll try my best to dump these negative memories out of my brain." she lets out a small smile. "Anyways, I don't know how to thank you enough for saving me…"

 

 

 

     "Don't worry about it. I think anyone would have saved you if they saw what they were doing to you…"

 

 

 

     "But out of all the people who would have saved me, you're the one who did…"

 

 

 

     "Hmm, that's true.."

 

 

 

     "How can I pay you back?" Yoona says, causing Jonghyun to put his hand on his chin and think for a moment.

 

 

 

     "You know in the movie Shrek, Princess Fiona always wanted to give a kiss to the person who saved her…." he says as he cracks a small smile.

 

 

 

     "So you're asking me to give you a kiss?"

 

 

 

     "I didn't say anything…."

 

 

 

     "But you were implying that you wanted one…"

 

 

 

     "Do you want to give me a kiss that bad?" Jonghyun says as he sticks his tongue out.

 

 

 

     "No! Aish Lee Jonghyun!" Yoona says as she raises her hand to slap him across the face. Preparing for the worst, Jonghyun closes his eyes, but he soon opens them when he feels a warm hand caressing his face. "You must have been hurt really bad by those bad guys Jonghyunnie…" she says in a soft voice.

 

 

 

Jonghyun, who's still speechless, only nods to her observation."Owwww, it hurts when she touches my face. But I can hold the pain in, after all Yoona is caressing my face. How many other idols can say that? Her hands are so warm and soft…"

 

 

 

     "Do you have any medical kits at home?" Yoona says as Jonghyun is lost in his own world.

 

 

 

     "No."

 

 

 

     "Then can you take me home? We have some at my dorm. And besides I don't have a ride back to my dorm anyway."

 

 

 

     "Sure." The only reason he agreed to take her home is because she said she didn't have a ride, not because of the lack of medical kits at his dorm. "What will be the reaction of the 8 girls after they see Yoona all beat up? I hope they don't misunderstand…"

 

 

 

 

 

After Jonghyun parked his car, Yoona leads him toward the elevator and soon they arrive in front of the door of SNSD's dorm. She enters the password and as soon as she walks in, she sees 8 pair of eyes staring at her and the guy behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

     "OH MY GOODNESS!"

 

 

 

     "ARE YOU GUYS OKAY?"

 

 

 

     "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FACES?"

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona quickly runs away from the unnies and into her room so that she could change out of Jonghyun's clothes, which leaves Jonghyun at the center of attention.

 

 

 

 

 

     "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS?"

 

 

 

     "TELL US!"

 

 

 

     "ENOUGH! When will you guys learn to welcome your brother-in-law the right way?" yells the leader. 

 

 

 

     "It's okay noona." Jonghyun lets out a small smile. "To answer your guys' questions, Yoona was attacked by these three men and they were ripping off her clothes. So after they left I gave her my sweater to cover her legs and my shirt to wear. I got beat up in the process of defending her from the three bad guys, but I guess I'm fine now."

 

 

 

     "Wow…" Jessica says while everyone still has a shocked expression from their face.

 

 

 

     "Is she alright now?" Hyoyeon asks.

 

 

 

 

     "Well, she told me that she's going to dump these bad memories out of her head…, so just pretend nothing happened and don't bring up what happened today so that her bad memories don't come flooding in her brain again." he replies. The SNSD members are impressed with how much he cares for her and that's when the SNSD members realized that Jonghyun is a trust-worthy friend for Yoona.

 

 

 

     "Jonghyun-ah, can you make sure that when Yoona is alone by herself, that you be with her?" Taeyeon says.

 

 

 

     "Isn't that your job?" Jonghyun tries his best not to be rude.

 

 

 

     "I'm not asking you to always take care of her, but on some nights, she gets really depressed and goes out by herself somewhere. On days like those, we really try and comfort her, but we don't even know where she even is! She ignores all our texts and calls, but I'm sure if you're the one who texts and calls her, she'll answer you."

 

 

 

     "You guys have known her for half her life, and I've known her for about 3 months."

 

 

 

     "There's a special place in her heart for you, Jonghyun-ah. She really cares for you..., and if you cared for her too..., you'd do this for us."

 

 

 

     Seeing that the SNSD members approve of him, Jonghyun reveals a bit of his true feelings to them. "To be honest, I care for her. I don't know why though. I've seen many pretty girls before, but there's something different about her. I still remember the look on her face when she said that she and Donghae broke up. Something about her sad expression, made me want to take care of her, to console her, to hug her tight, to give her my shoulder so that she could cry on it. I care for her, I really do. But are you guys sure that she cares for me? What am I to her? You guys told me I have a special place in her heart. As what? A friend? I want to be more than just a friend to her...." he says as he's in shock of his own honesty. However, he continues rambling. "It's so frustrating loving one of you guys.., no wonder Yonghwa hyung was so depressed last year..." Seohyun smiles at this statement. "Just promise that you guys won't tell this to Yoona alright? I'll try my best to get through this myself... if you guys approve of us."

 

 

     "Don't worry Jonghyun-ah. Yoona needs a guy like you. In fact, Yuri is a hardcore shipper of you guys!" the leader says as she points to Yuri.

 

 

 

     "Trust me Jonghyun-ah, she has feelings for you, I'm sure. One thing you must promise me before I hand her over to you." Yuri says as she sticks her pinky out. "Even through the rough, never give up on her."

 

 

 

     "I promise." Jonghyun says as he sticks his pinky out as well. "Oh, and sorry for taking up your guys' time. I didn't think we would meet up again like this after the last time I came here. But I hope the next time we meet is when we have a dinner to celebrate our comebacks in January. Anyways, I think I should go-"

 

 

 

     "YAAAA LEE JONGHYUN WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?" Yoona yells after she changes into new clothes. "Oppa, follow me." She grabs him into her room to treat his wounds.

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________