Chapter 7 - Time will tell

Skyhigh.

Winter was harsh this season, dropping to the negatives in the early hours of the day. Eunji doubled up on clothes and brought out her precious warm fuzzy shoes to brave this cold and the impending finals. She headed out of the house around 7, tugging her hood over her head and zipping up to hide from the cold winds. She pushed the front foor open, stepping outside and locking it behind her. Eunji looked down at her feet as she walked, spazzing over her beloved shoes. Smoke curled from with each breath she took and it quickly dissipated into the air around her. She walked along the road to one of the coffee shops (thankfully open at such an ungodly hour) to grab a coffee before heading to school for the finals. The bell rang lightly as she pulled the door open, greeted with a nice warm air that carried the amazing aroma of freshly brewed coffee, Eunji stepped into the shop and pulled back her hood. She ordered a medium Caramel Macchiato and bagel to go, transferring the coffee into a thermos so it would stay warm during her walk to school. Eunji reached school at 7:30, heading straight to the cafeteria for one last revision. She dumped her bag on a seat and plopped herself down on the next, pulling the thermos of coffee out of the bag and transferring it back into the coffee cup before putting it back into the bag once again. Eunji pulled the bagel apart and started stuffing with big chunks of it, burying herself into her textbook. 

The smell of her favourite coffee wafted through the air, causing her to instantly look up and realise In Guk was standing next to her, coffee cup in hand. 

'Oh, you're here! How long have you been standing there?' She signalled to the seat in front of her, indicating for him to sit.

'I just arrived, were you here for long?' He took off his jacket and sat down.

Eunji held up the coffee she bought, saying ' Cha, I didn't buy your Iced Caramel Mocha with whipped cream cos' it's so bloody cold outside.You'll freeze before you even take the exam.' She stuffed another chunk of the bagel into .

'Ohh, gomawo. Cha, here's yours. Your favourite.' In Guk replied but looked somewhat unsatisifed. He eyed her bagel, each piece that entered . Eunji didn't notice until she got pissed with him just sitting there not doing anything, so she gave him half of the bagel and they were off with their revision, sipping their coffee every now and then. Eunji twitched over her first mouth of coffee since it had gone cold battling with the cold weather outside but she didn't say anything. She was kinda upset that In Guk didn't notice her extra effort of keeping the coffe warm but whatever, finals were important. The first bell went and the duo instantly looked up at each other, giving the 'it's time' look. They each took off the coffee sleeves of their cups and began scribbling on them. In Guk finished first, slamming his textbook shut and getting out from his seat. Eunji soon followed suit, grabbing her things from the seat next to her and catching up with In Guk who was dumping the rubbish. They walked towards the exam hall together, coffee sleeves in hand. 

'Here's yours bastard. Go kill that paper with your 'good looks'. You'll do fine.' Eunji handed him her coffee sleeve.

'And here is yours! Don't be nervous yeah Jung Eunji, I believe in you enough to know that you wouldn't repeat what happened in third grade.' He chuckled, passing her his sleeve. 

~ 3rd Grade. Kid Eunji and In Guk are seen in school together, he's patting her on the back, trying to comfort her from something. It was examination period too, Eunji got too freaked out from the stress, puking out all her anxieties right before the start of the test, causing it to be slightly delayed. Eunji was then known as the 'exam puker' and is down right one of the most embarassing moments of her life.

The duo created this trading of coffee sleeves a couple of years back, it had become a ritual for them to exchange them when they faced important exams. They've each gotten around 7 so this would count as their eigth. Eunji brushed off his comment, taking a deep breath to calm herself down. But before she knew it, In Guk pulled her towards him and all she was concerned with was what kind of cologne he used since it was the only thing she could concentrate on now. He ruffled her hair and pat her head, 'Good luck yeah', he whispered. Eunji's heart leaped within her chest, she closed her eyes and took it all in before pulling away and calming herself down. In Guk smiled and went into the exam hall first, Eunji shook off all that excitement and followed behind. She took her seat and laid out all her stationery, the clock ticked relentlessly in front of the room, each tick getting louder as more people settled down. The whole room went quiet, and only the sound of the ticking could be heard. 

'You may begin.' The invigilator announced at the last tick. Eunji's eyes burned with determination and she began doing the paper.

~*~ 

Students poured out of the exam hall like water gushing through leaks of a tub, everyone rejoicing that the paper was over. Eunji was one of those free souls, she walked with a lighter step, as if with no care for anything anymore. She picked up her bag, dumping her things into it before slinging it over her back and making her way out of the school. She checked her phone and saw a messgae from In Guk. 

'Ya, free bird. I'll meet you at the school gate okay'

Eunji locked her phone, zipped up her jacket and headed out of the school. As she walked down the path to the school gate, the winds got colder, lashing out at her face. She tucked her hands into the pockets of her jackets, braving this troturous cold. She saw In Guk's silhouette from afar, that strong broad stance was undeniably attractive, but he was with someone, Isabel. The two were laughing and looked like they were having much fun, Eunji unknowingly felt sour inside. She reached the school gates and Isabel immediately forced a hug upon Eunji, squealing and exclaiming about how excited she was about exams being over. In Guk looked on while the two of them caught up with each other. 

'In Guk and I were gonna go for lunch and a movie. Wanna come?' Isabel asked chripily. Eunji tried so hard to not roll her eyes, forcing a smile and poiltely rejecting, she didn't want to ruin their 'date'.

'Ya, Jung Eunji. Come! It'll be fun! Don't go home and sulk.' In Guk nudged.

Eunji wanted to go but she knew that it would just be torture, seeing In Guk with Isabel, laughing and all sorts. Even if they say that they're not getting together, the feelings are still there, Eunji didn't want to see any start of it. it would be crushing.

'Nah, you go. I'm okay.' She faked.

Isabel pouted her lips to Eunji's reply. 

'Okay, have a good rest yeah! We'll catch up soon!' She hooked her arm around In Guk's, dragging him away from the school gates excitedly. In Guk looked slightly startled, looking back at Eunji as he got pulled away. Eunji watched the two of them walk further and further away, her heart ached and tears started to well up in her eyes. She walked in the opposite direction, back home. She stopped at the same coffee shop this morning, unconciously ordering In Guk's favourite for herself, Iced Caramel Mocha with extra whip cream but regretting it soon after stepping back out in the cold. After reaching home, she remembered the coffee sleeve from this morning, pulling it out of her bag and read it.

 

'Eunji-ya! Good luck for finals! You'll do well :>

I love you~ <3 DD-10'

Gukkkk~'

 

I love you?

DD-10?

 

Eunji sits there stunned, speechless.

Did he really write those three words? And what's this about a d-day?